Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the belief within the Browns is that HC Hue Jackson will want some say when it comes to picking players moving forward.

Rapoport adds that Jackson understands to the power structure he agreed to when taking the job a few years ago, but the belief is that he wants his voice heard alongside executives such as Sashi Brown, Andrew Berry, Paul DePodesta among others.

Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam reportedly met with players this past Monday to offer their support and detail their thoughts regarding the disappointing season.

According to Rapoport, the Haslams told the players they knew rebuilding would take time and while everyone wants to win, their work and effort down the stretch has been appreciated. Rapoport adds that the owners wanted to reassure the players that their fight has not gone unnoticed.

Rapoport says that while some players appreciated the support, others are still sick of losing and the conversation didn’t do much for them.

Other reports have said that the Browns could make a run at trying to bring in Peyton Manning to be a high-level executive to oversee the team (NFLTR).

We’ll have more regarding the Browns as the news is available.

http://nfltraderumors.co/browns-hc-hue-jackson-wants-say-personnel-matters-moving-forward/

This past Monday, Browns owners Jimmy and Dee Haslam met with their players en masse to offer support and context, while also detailing their thoughts on the trying season, sources say.

It was not the first time the Haslams have met with the team, having done so as it related to the anthem controversy and other issues. But this talk was memorable in particular because of the message.

Essentially, the Haslams told the players they knew rebuilding would take time and while everyone wants to win, their work and effort down the stretch was appreciated. The wins haven't come, but the owners wanted the players to know that this a process.

The Haslams have been realistic about how much time it can take to go from last to respectable to a winning program. And while the players don't necessarily want to hear that -- they are competitive, losing has been frustrating -- the owners wanted to reassure them that their fight has not gone unnoticed.

For players in that locker room, it's been tough. Many appreciated the talk, while others are just sick of losing and no pep talk would have mattered. The Haslams implored their players to continue to give the same effort down the stretch.

In general, it has not been an easy season in Cleveland to say the least. Or two seasons. One win (1-24) in the Sashi Brown/Hue Jackson regime will do that. There clearly has been frustration exhibited inside the building, and that's natural. Some moments -- the failed AJ McCarron trade, for one -- have led to expected angst.

Toward the end of the season, there will be more important meetings. The Haslams have remained supportive of Jackson, who was among the top 10 highest-paid coaches when he was hired. But he has also watched the team get torn down to the ground to rebuild, more so than anyone expected.

And while the team has collected draft picks like no one else, they have also watched franchise QBs pass them by, notably the Eagles' Carson Wentz.

The belief is, with an eye toward 2018, that Jackson will want some say in the collaborative effort of picking players. It's not that he wants more power -- he agreed upon the power structure when he signed on and is fine with it. He's seen coaches thrive in similar power structures, notably Marvin Lewis with the Bengals.

But Jackson is believed to want to have his voice heard alongside executives such as Brown, Andrew Berry, Paul DePodesta and others. Other sources counter this by saying Jackson has been involved throughout the key discussions, though there have been some disagreements. There have also been some game-management issues, which Jackson has addressed publicly, that have contributed to the winless season.

Clearly, with no wins, everyone is to blame.

The week began with an important discussion led by the owners. After the season ends, the key decision makers on the Browns will have plenty more important talks.

Follow Ian Rapoport on Twitter @RapSheet.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ign=Twitter_atn

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Sounds like Hue is sick of losing as much as the players are...I am thinking Hue is going to want the #1 QB in the draft next year, and a couple of NFL caliber WR's

I bet you're wondering the samething I did, why O' why didn't I take the...blue pill
Legend
Legend
He wants Lamar Jackson

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
How about us fans being sick of losing superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
Sounds like Hue is sick of losing as much as the players are...I am thinking Hue is going to want the #1 QB in the draft next year, and a couple of NFL caliber WR's

I certainly hope so! And probably a good CB too.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It wouldn't be the Holiday season without a power struggle in Berea.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I thought Hue already had a voice in personnel.

Everything I've read about everything that's been done has come with the note that Hue signed off.

While the FO wanted Trubisky, Hue wanted Garrett. He got Garrett.

What is it exactly he's looking for?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

An attempt to publicly shift the blame for the poor results?

He's further distancing himself from the FO, assuming the report is accurate.

The reality, however, is this mess is on everyone's hands.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
maybe it's not as much as we were lead to believe?

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

An attempt to publicly shift the blame for the poor results?

He's further distancing himself from the FO, assuming the report is accurate.

The reality, however, is this mess is on everyone's hands.

I agree this is what's happening. The latest rumor now is Hue wanted Wentz. LOL.

It's hard imagining these guys continuing down the same road together.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I'd be shocked if he didn't.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V

Everything I've read about everything that's been done has come with the note that Hue signed off.

While the FO wanted Trubisky, Hue wanted Garrett. He got Garrett.

Why do you think that? Because posters who defend the FO no matter what and bash other posters who question the FO claim that our FO has made all the good picks and Hue was responsible for making all the bad picks? LMAO

I hope the Browns and Hue part ways so I can hear how much better we will be w/a real offensive coach and then watch the Browns suck yet again next year.

Some people never learn.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So Hue? What was that you said about Wentz?

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
So Hue? What was that you said about Wentz?

DePodesta opened up about the subject of evaluating quarterbacks in a lengthy interview with Tony Grossi of ESPN and, without being rude, he made it clear they don't see Wentz as a franchise quarterback.

"We have to make judgments on the individual players and we're not always going to be right," DePodesta said. "But in this particular case, we just didn't feel it was necessarily the right bet to make for us at this time. Again, it comes down to individual evaluation of a player. We will not always be right on those type of things.

"I think the hardest part, and where we have to stay the most disciplined, as much as you want a player, you can't invent him if he doesn't exist. In a given year, there may be two or three NFL-ready quarterbacks at the college level. In another year, there literally may be zero. There just may be not be anybody in that year who's good enough to be a top 20 quarterback in the NFL.

"Even though you have a desperate need for one, you have to resist the temptation of taking that guy just because you have a need if you don't believe he's one of those 20 guys at the end of the day. I think that's the hardest part, just maintaining your discipline because you have the need. That's what we did this year."
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/brown...g-carson-wentz/

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We know what the front office thought of Wentz

I wonder what Hue thought of Wentz?

I wonder if they think the same today?

Literally this maybe the determinate between who stays and who goes.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Swish
He wants Lamar Jackson

Hah you couldn't Browns a situation any better than passing on Josh Rosen to take Lamar freaking Jackson. So it shall be done.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
“Well, at that time, he wasn’t the right fit for us,” Browns head coach Hue Jackson said on a conference call with Philly reporters on Wednesday. “It had nothing to do with Carson. I think Carson is a tremendous person, player and has a bright future. At that time, we decided to go in a different direction.

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ph...ight-fit-browns

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that the belief within the Browns is that HC Hue Jackson will want some say when it comes to picking players moving forward.

Rapoport adds that Jackson understands to the power structure he agreed to when taking the job a few years ago, but the belief is that he wants his voice heard alongside executives such as Sashi Brown, Andrew Berry, Paul DePodesta among others.

Hue should have final say over the 53 man roster..it is as simple as that.

It's looking like Haslam is going to stick to the plan but rearranging the chairs a bit and who sits in what chair will not change the plan.

We have seen 2 yrs of Sashi in charge of the 53 man roster..it is time to tweak the plan and change who has the final say.

Hue's job and the jobs of the entire coaching staff are on the line in 2018 and I believe they have earned the right to have a seat at the table.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mac
Quote:

Hue should have final say over the 53 man roster..it is as simple as that.

It's looking like Haslam is going to stick to the plan but rearranging the chairs a bit and who sits in what chair will not change the plan.

We have seen 2 yrs of Sashi in charge of the 53 man roster..it is time to tweak the plan and change who has the final say.

Hue's job and the jobs of the entire coaching staff are on the line in 2018 and I believe they have earned the right to have a seat at the table.

I'm sure we are better off having a bipartisan such as sashi with the final say. 1 final say isn't as relevant as many think and 2 Hue is the last person I would put in that role.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hue should have final say over the 53 man roster..

No. It's my opinion that the FO should have the final say while at the same time allowing considerable input from the HC. In general, the HC's goals are short term while the FO must also consider long term sustainability; they are not necessarily compatible goals.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think its all a moot point.. I don't think anyone is surviving this year. Going to be too much pressure, and rightfully so

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He wants Lamar Jackson

I hope not. Josh Rosen seems like a pretty sure thing to me

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
V
Legend
Legend
V
I disagree.

I think the FO should choose the players [draft, free agency, trades] w/input from the coaches on what types of players they want. I don't think the coaches have enough time to adequately scout collegiate players or even other players in the NFL.

However, I think the coaches should have the final say on who is on the 53 man roster and how much playing time those guys receive. They are the ones who work w/the guys all the time and the FO simply doesn't have the time and knowledge of each player on the roster.

Legend
Legend
and now it starts....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GraffZ06
He wants Lamar Jackson

Hah you couldn't Browns a situation any better than passing on Josh Rosen to take Lamar freaking Jackson. So it shall be done.

hmm.. so you are saying Rosen will be better than Jackson? hands down?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL........The QB debates are going to be crazy on here again this year.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
We have witnessed two years with the Browns under control of Sashi Brown and the record is clear..Sashi has not earned a third year of total control over the 53 man roster.

If Hue is given final say, Sashi and Depodesta are not going to quit..and they would have no reason to even consider quiting if Hue was given power over the roster.

If 2018 produces another season of losing and THEY ARE ALL GONE..so what does it matter if Hue is given final say over the 53?

Last edited by mac; 11/20/17 09:54 AM.

Legend
Legend
I pray it wasn't trust me. I am fresh outta trust; Hue used it all up. I am tired of abuse I take as a fan. We can do draft right; I believe it. But this Kizer worship is awful. I expected some smaller mistakes, learning curve issues. But Shon the Drive-Killer is unbelievably consistent in our weekly demise.
We battled.

Go, Browns, and never let Peppers field a punt again this year. Ever.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We have witnessed two years with the Browns under control of Sashi Brown and the record is clear..Sashi has not earned a third year of total control over the 53 man roster.

If Hue is given final say, Sashi and Depodesta are not going to quit..and they would have no reason to even consider quiting if Hue was given power over the roster.

If 2018 produces another season of losing and THEY ARE ALL GONE..so what does it matter if Hue is given final say over the 53?

I could see Hue having more say/influence when it comes to FA acquisitions, but otherwise...no.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Something will give. Something's gotta give...

E
Legend
Legend
E
I hope its cause he hasn't had enough say in our QB decisions. Cause quite frankly that is pretty much what we are missing in our personnel decisions. Not that all are perfect but it is the one glaring HOLE we got. If that is what Hue is eluding to I'm all for it.

If he has had the say in our QB decisions...I don't want him to touch anything else.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

I could see Hue having more say/influence when it comes to FA acquisitions, but otherwise...no.

The strategy of THROW HUE A CRUMB TO SHUT HIM UP...that ain't going to work, imo.

Hue has a coaching staff that remained with Hue and the Browns over the past two seasons under a system where they had little, if any, say over personnel. The Browns record is on all of the coaches..not just Hue.

Tweaking the present setup to allow Hue and his coaching staff control over the 53 man roster would be seem as a step forward by all the coaches and most if not all of the players.

Sashi, Depo and their staff will continue to do the same work they have been doing...nothing will change. The HC and his coaching staff will have a greater say in who is retained on the 53.

WHAT DO THE BROWNS HAVE TO LOSE?...we are 1-25 under the present setup...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

They will be. Can't wait, lol.

Comments like that bother me, as there is no explanation of the 'why'. Saying 'lamar freaking jackson' implies that jackson is trash. Not the case.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I hear you. I do have to say that I really like Rosen, though. What are your thoughts on him?

Oh wait....better not hijack this thread. Will you comment on him in the Rosen thread? I think it is in the Tailgate forum. Or maybe even on the Kizer thread. That's about qbs.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

They will be. Can't wait, lol.

Comments like that bother me, as there is no explanation of the 'why'. Saying 'lamar freaking jackson' implies that jackson is trash. Not the case.

I don't think Jackson is trash, however I don't think he's a sure-fire elite QB prospect for the next level either (though most aren't).

We're awful. We have no QB. The only thing we have going for us is to keep losing so we earn the #1 pick again. Thankfully this draft has a QB worthy of that #1 pick - Josh Rosen. He's the best QB prospect to come out since Luck - but that's JMO.

I'm just saying it would be so Browns of us to suffer through all the sucking - to earn the right to finally get a guy like Rosen - and then throw it away/pass on it on our own accord because somebody in the FO falls in love with the shiny laser pointer moving around the floor.

So in that sense, if we pass on Rosen it would be for "any freaking body" not just "Lamar freaking Jackson".

That or we Browns it by actually winning a game or two and losing the top pick and watching Rosen get taken before us. We'd do that too.

Last edited by GraffZ06; 11/20/17 11:02 AM.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Rosen is not a bad looking QB that should be coming out this draft .. Is he the best player ??? Way early but I have my eye's on a couple of others that I really like as well as Rosen .. I said that Zieke was the player , this year it's Barkley ..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hue has a coaching staff ... where they had little, if any, say over personnel.

I do not believe this. You are speculating, the same as I.

Tweaking the present setup to allow Hue and his coaching staff control over the 53 man roster...

That is significantly more than just a 'tweak'. You are talking input vs control.

WHAT DO THE BROWNS HAVE TO LOSE?...Two years of a carefully and thoughtful (albeit radical) plan and implementation.

Last edited by bbrowns32; 11/20/17 11:29 AM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The clouds parted, the sun shined down and the earth trembled. Yes thats the statement of why we didnt draft Wentz. We had brought in the guy Hue worked out and was blown away by. Then we drafted Kessler who Hue said it was on him. Then he wanted 2 Qbs Mahomes and Kizer, we got jumped for Mahomes and we got him Kizer.

Gabriel best player in preseason but played same spot that Hue's former player Hawkins played. We cut Gabriel to make room for Hawkins.

Hue wants more power in decisions, well he does have decisions on who starts and who runs the ball 18 times for nothing. He decides to run the read option with injured QBs.

Just fire his whinning complaining ass and be done with it. 30 seconds 2 timeouts and good field position while down 3 points. Lets take a knee. Hue has been horrible with in game decisions. He has been horrible at clock management and his game plays seem rather stupid way to often. Easiest schedule in football and he cant produce but one win in 2 years.

Screw Hue Jackson and the Bengal he rode in on.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GraffZ06
He wants Lamar Jackson

yall said the same thing about Watson.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
30 seconds 2 timeouts and good field position while down 3 points. Lets take a knee.

I felt that was very questionable and ultra-conservative (we were on our 30 yd line or so, IIRC). However, Hue is the coach...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns HC Hue Jackson Wants More Say In Personnel Matters Moving Forward

Link Copied to Clipboard