Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
My plan to fix the browns

1. Fire Hue - mental mistakes have just gotten worse, that's a reflection on coaching. Sadly I miss the days of Mangini when we were the least penalized team
2. back up the Brinks truck to Jon Grudens house, give him whatever it would take. Yeah Yeah I know he hasn't coached in awhile, but a) has the game really changed all that much fundamentally? b) he is a broadcaster, so he is still in the loop in the NFL, studying team before Monday night football and talking with players/coaches/execs all the time, he still has his finger in the pot.
3. Go all in on quality veteran free agents for the secondary. Front 7 I'm good with, we just need help back there in a major way.
4. QB - enough said
5. Fire Tabor - just because it is way overdue
6. Find depth at some of our key positions because any of our good players always gets hurt

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: boofers20
My plan to fix the browns

1. Fire Hue - mental mistakes have just gotten worse, that's a reflection on coaching. Sadly I miss the days of Mangini when we were the least penalized team
2. back up the Brinks truck to Jon Grudens house, give him whatever it would take. Yeah Yeah I know he hasn't coached in awhile, but a) has the game really changed all that much fundamentally? b) he is a broadcaster, so he is still in the loop in the NFL, studying team before Monday night football and talking with players/coaches/execs all the time, he still has his finger in the pot.
3. Go all in on quality veteran free agents for the secondary. Front 7 I'm good with, we just need help back there in a major way.
4. QB - enough said
5. Fire Tabor - just because it is way overdue
6. Find depth at some of our key positions because any of our good players always gets hurt

1. thumbsup
2. A big named coach rather Gruden or someone else will give Quality FA's something to come here for...
3. See Above
4. #1 and FA
5. thumbsup
6. Draft and FA

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Rookie
Rookie
B
I don’t have specific names but I would express who I would like to see added to the team.

First a young a talented rb- I don’t think you need a veteran here, I believe a great rb can be a huge differ nice maker but I don’t feel you need a vet but a young affordable back with low
Miles can ensure you get the best he has in tank.

Top qb in draft- whoever that qb is get him we need someone we can build Aron d and operate an offense. I just want a guy who can process information before snap check us into right play, go through reads, see field post snap, deliver ball accurately. I don’t care about arm strength or
Mobility do want pocket presence.
Veteran qb- I see no reason not to sign a tyrod Taylor or McCarron some one that sets a high bar for rookie to beat and if the rookie can’t beat him the vet should lead us to wins. Only must start free agent I’d want is jimmy g I know that won’t happen.

I love both our lines and think they need little I would like another vet defensive end that can get pressure and set edge

I would like another mlb that is sideline to sideline and can change vet like
Smith for Jacksonville. I like shoebert but want moreplays and depth.

I think we need a vet at safety I want a guy who has seen a lot can disguise coverages and get everyone in right spot. I know there might be some good prospects in draft and by all means draft them but I’d like a vet at that position.

We need a real corner that cover and make plays on the ball i know we play off a lot but there is no rule against a guy running up and making a play.

That’s my simple view we can add good football players anywhere on team but I think some spots need a veteran presence immediately.

Last edited by Binfin32; 12/25/17 03:07 PM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Watched Mayfield a lot this year...at least 6-7 games.

1. His OL is not that good as he is under pressure a lot.
2. I don't there is one QB in college that doesn't go downfield as much as Mayfield does.
3. I fell in love with him as he dropped back to pass and had somebody right in his face with the Bull in a China shop charge and he threw it while getting him to a WR on a 20 yard out with a man all over him. PERFECT throw to the outside hands of the WR where only he could make the catch. With no available follow through. I was sold after seeing that play, and it was one of many!

jmhobservation.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Didn't see that particular play - but what happened after was he most likely spit in the defenders face, stepped on his hand while getting up, grabbed his crotch then flipped off the fans. But he's sorry.

No - Johnny Mayfield is on my do not draft list. JMHO.

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Needs a qb to challenge Kizer for starting role
Whether it's a vet like Alex Smith or Andy Dalton who.could be released

Start thinking about a replacing LT and RT

Make a run at Leveon Bell.at least try. The Browns have the money to make him think.

Upgrade at WR. Josh Gordon doesn't give effort week in week out
Higgins Louis have not stepped up.Coleman hasn't been the difference maker
Many thought

Lbers need a cerebal player that actually can instill fear in a offense
And lay out jarring hits
None are on the roster

Need to find a kick returner that can get past the 22 yard line

Need ball.hawks and guys that can create turmovers in the secondary.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: hitt
JMHO, this stats are for losers is RIDICULOUS, why have combine-stats, why do businesses use stats- to succeed. Surely gut feel or eyeball test is best.
Get all the stats, use analytics, talk it all out and get the best players....GO Browns!!!!

Maybe you should look at the college stats for Colt McCoy.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
JMHO, this stats are for losers is RIDICULOUS, why have combine-stats, why do businesses use stats- to succeed. Surely gut feel or eyeball test is best.
Get all the stats, use analytics, talk it all out and get the best players....GO Browns!!!!

Maybe you should look at the college stats for Colt McCoy.

Have you?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I saw them when he was drafted. Those were the things people leaned on who supported the pick so heavily. At the time he was the winningest QB in NCAA history and had a great pass %.

Then came the NFL.....

QBR

Comp. %

2006...68.2%

2007...65.1%

2008...76.7%

209...70.6%

Yeah, stats are for......

Last edited by PitDAWG; 12/26/17 02:19 PM. Reason: added meaningless stats

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
My preferences would be:

Free Agency
1) Sign Cousins at QB, Kizer as backup and re-sign Hogan as 3rd stringer (I think he's a free agent)
2) Sign Jarvis Landry at WR.
3) Sign Trumaine Johnson or Malcolm Butler at CB
4) If Joe is done, sign Nate Solder for LT

Extend Current Players (in no particular order)
1) Danny Shelton
2) Jason McCourty
3) Duke Johnson

That's a ton of money between FA and extensions, but we have 2 tons of cap space.

Draft (draft spots assumed)
Round 1 - Fitzpatrick and Barkley
33 - WR - Washington, Sutton, or St. Brown
36 - CB - Josh Jackson or Jaire Alexander
64/65 - LB - Josey Jewell (MLB), Tremain Edmunds (OLB)
97 - OL Depth
125 - DE - Marcus Davenport
And go depth the rest of the way (CB, DT, TE). I'd love to see us get a speedy WR guy late if one exists.

Offense - Cousins with 4 legit WRs and Barkley/Johnson
Defense - defensive backfield overhaul, depth front 7

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
back up the Brinks truck to Jon Grudens house, give him whatever it would take.

That could be a short drive. Doesn't he have a house in Strongsville? Or was that another former coach? wink

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic
back up the Brinks truck to Jon Grudens house, give him whatever it would take.

That could be a short drive. Doesn't he have a house in Strongsville? Or was that another former coach? wink
Gruden and Cowher are roommates

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I have seen our "due diligence" and it has been worse than spotty, more like due negligence.

We get some drafted with special skillsets that are hardly used. We also are not securing our greatest needs first with low draft numbers on picks. Let's try that for a change, rather than trading down and back. I want a solid FA who is workable to start day one. Enough projects already, or trading down to get even more crap shoots and project players who need developed. Kizer is not in the picture, I hope. We own this season.

I wanna get a FA QB vet, a decent corner, one real receiver not named Britt, and a good edge.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
419, don’t we have another 2nd rounder in there courtesy of giving the eagles their franchise qb?? another wr or cb would be nice.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
yep, that's 64 (or the assumed 64). I put 64/65 for the two LB picks.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: clwb419
My preferences would be:

Free Agency
1) Sign Cousins at QB, Kizer as backup and re-sign Hogan as 3rd stringer (I think he's a free agent)
2) Sign Jarvis Landry at WR.
3) Sign Trumaine Johnson or Malcolm Butler at CB
4) If Joe is done, sign Nate Solder for LT

Extend Current Players (in no particular order)
1) Danny Shelton
2) Jason McCourty
3) Duke Johnson

That's a ton of money between FA and extensions, but we have 2 tons of cap space.

Draft (draft spots assumed)
Round 1 - Fitzpatrick and Barkley
33 - WR - Washington, Sutton, or St. Brown
36 - CB - Josh Jackson or Jaire Alexander
64/65 - LB - Josey Jewell (MLB), Tremain Edmunds (OLB)
97 - OL Depth
125 - DE - Marcus Davenport
And go depth the rest of the way (CB, DT, TE). I'd love to see us get a speedy WR guy late if one exists.

Offense - Cousins with 4 legit WRs and Barkley/Johnson
Defense - defensive backfield overhaul, depth front 7

Unless I messed up somewhere, I think this would end up being our roster. Might need to give up one of those DTs or CBs for another OL. For each of the extensions and FA signings, I'd front load the contracts so 2018 cap would be impacted the most (est 109m, or 119m if Joe leaves), and reduce impact on cap in later years. Roster below likely equates to about 60-65m in cap remaining wihtout front loaded contracts.

3 QB – Kirk Cousins, DeShone Kizer, Kevin Hogan
3 RB – Saquon Barkley, Duke Johnson, Matthew Dayes
1 FB - Danny Vitale
5 WR - Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, Jarvis Landry, Draft Pick (Washington, St. Brown or Sutton), depth pick late (speed!)
3 TE - David Njoku, Seth DeValve, Randall Telfer
1.5 LT - Joe Thomas (or Nate Solder), Spencer Drango
1.5 LG - Joel Bitonio, Drango
2 C - JC Tretter, Austin Reiter
2 RG - Kevin Zeitler, OL Depth pick (OT/OG)
2 RT - Shon Coleman, Rod Johnson

Offense – 24

4 DE - Myles Garrett, Emmanuel Ogbah, Carl Nassib, Marcus Davenport
5 DT - Danny Shelton, Trevon Coley, Larry Ogunjobi, Caleb Brantley, Depth pick
4 OLB - Jamie Collins, Christian Kirksey, James Burgess, Tremain Edmunds
3 ILB - Joe Schobert, Dominique Alexander, Josey Jewell
6 CB - Jason McCourty, Jamar Taylor, Briean Boddy-Calhoun, Howard Wilson, Johnson/Butler, Jackson/Alexander
2 FS – Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derron Smith
2 SS - Jabrill Peppers, Derrick Kindred
Defense – 26

P- Britton Colquitt
K - Zane Gonzalez
LS - Charley Hughlett
Special Teams - 3

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
He was a third rounder and is still in the NFL. That's pretty successful, if you ask me. Him and Bradford are the only QBs in that class that are still playing.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

The playing of the game isn't all about stats if it were anyone could simply analyze the stats and wha-la winner.

Which brings us full circle sort of how did Sahsi make out?

No you have to understand stats and equally important you have to understand and see things that stats just don't and can't cover. Its not either or its a combo. But eyes IMO speak loader and say more than stats.

Stats don't tell you guys aren't getting open and that the O line stinks.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
53.9 Percent 9 TD. 21 INT and a Rating of 58 percent is downright terrible.

Sometime to paraphrase Parcells. “You are what your stats say you are.”

Add to that 9 fumble 6 lost and the red zone effiency that is terrible, and the decision to go with Kizer was not the correct one.

I don’t know if Hues hands were tied by the front office, but this was a lost season.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C - A few weeks ago, Greg Rosenthal speculated Ryan Tannehill would be on the trade block this offseason (I didn't mention it at the time because people got REALLY mad at me for mentioning the Dalton rumors).

Those rumors are already starting to heat up.

Won't shock me to see a big time trade attempt given Rosen has basically said he doesn't want to be a Cleveland Brown, and Darnold is likely returning.

I'd be keeping an eye on Tannehill, Smith and Tyrod Taylor.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
53.9 Percent 9 TD. 21 INT and a Rating of 58 percent is downright terrible.
53.3 Percent 13 TD 20 INTs and a Rating of 61 percent

Just for a point of reference comparing Kizer to a "franchise" QB's Rookie season-w/ 10 games played. All while playing with arguably one of the best WRs in NFL history.

Last edited by edromeo; 12/27/17 12:27 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I saw them when he was drafted. Those were the things people leaned on who supported the pick so heavily. At the time he was the winningest QB in NCAA history and had a great pass %.

Then came the NFL.....

QBR

Comp. %

2006...68.2%

2007...65.1%

2008...76.7%

209...70.6%

Yeah, stats are for......

Interesting you choose those stats to look at... And Mayfield's numbers blow those out of the water. Not sure where this is going.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: BDU
J/C - A few weeks ago, Greg Rosenthal speculated Ryan Tannehill would be on the trade block this offseason (I didn't mention it at the time because people got REALLY mad at me for mentioning the Dalton rumors).

Won't shock me to see a big time trade attempt given Rosen has basically said he doesn't want to be a Cleveland Brown, and Darnold is likely returning.

That's kinda interesting actually. Although, I wouldn't waste my time with Tannehill. Just draft Mayfield and be done with it.

Legend
Legend
j/c

I'm kind of intrigued about the possibility of Dave Toub as HC, Alex Smith as QB, and drafting the top QB ... then adding playmakers however possible

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Baker is looking like the likely option if the situation with Rosen and Darnold doesn't change.

I'm still undecided on him. There is a lot in Mayfield's game to like, but the system and his overall skill set still worry me.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah lets not get an amazing QB cause he might just get the Team all excited and hyped up a notch. What do I care if he grabs his crotch and yells at the fans in Heinz field as we kick their ass...yep yep who wants that guy here!

crazy

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Again over investment in WR...something we've been doing for years.

Again two top 5 picks and we don't get a Franchise QB? That is what has been killing this team since 1999.

jmho

Alex Smith yes, Eli Manning yes, Bradford yes, Keenum yes and then draft the Franchise QB...trade Kizer for a bag of apples and keep one Kessler or Hogan, or keep Kizer and cut Kessler n Hogan.

Vet QB, Franchise QB prospect, Kizer hoping somebody will offer us a draft pick for him someday.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

P
Legend
Legend
P
QUARTERBACK!!! Look at SF before they got a real QB and now, our talent is better than SF's overall IMO all we need is a REAL QUARTERBACK!!! (and coach) thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
Originally Posted By: eotab
What do I care if he grabs his crotch and yells at the fans in Heinz field as we kick their ass...yep yep who wants that guy here!

15 year olds?

D
Rookie
Rookie
D
1)new head coach. 2)go get Alex Smith. 3)best QB in draft 4)need a RB free agent or draft. 5)draft best player available after 1st Rd. 6)make the pick no trades unless we get the cattle with the farm

Legend
Legend
I don't think mayfield will be an amazing nfl qb... I'd put Jackson or Allen in front of him if we miss/pass on dwrnold or Rosen

<><

#gmstrong
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Yeah lets not get an amazing QB cause he might just get the Team all excited and hyped up a notch. What do I care if he grabs his crotch and yells at the fans in Heinz field as we kick their ass...yep yep who wants that guy here!

crazy

I would love to have Baker's personality in a QB. His skill set however is rather unproven.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Stats are for losers.

What are his completion percentages with pressure without?

What are his yards per completion ? What are his completion percentages at 10 - 20 -30 -40 yards?

If you have a QB that dumps it off all the time vs a guy that pushes the ball down the field completion percentages go up and down along with ints.

The truth is somewhat in the stats but not all of it !

Where there drops? how many? was the ball placement correct (eye test) does the QB anticipate, and throw his receivers open ? Stats are great eye tests are far better !

JMHO

LOL! In the games I've watched I would hardly call Mayfield a dink-n-dunker...

Hey man feel free to dig up that info if you can. I posted simple stats from FOxSports, bout all I got time for. Have at it, the board will await you're advanced knowledge of the current NCAAF 2018 QB class....

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/sam-darnold-player-stats

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: SunDawg
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Stats are for losers.

What are his completion percentages with pressure without?

What are his yards per completion ? What are his completion percentages at 10 - 20 -30 -40 yards?

If you have a QB that dumps it off all the time vs a guy that pushes the ball down the field completion percentages go up and down along with ints.

The truth is somewhat in the stats but not all of it !

Where there drops? how many? was the ball placement correct (eye test) does the QB anticipate, and throw his receivers open ? Stats are great eye tests are far better !

JMHO

LOL! In the games I've watched I would hardly call Mayfield a dink-n-dunker...

Hey man feel free to dig up that info if you can. I posted simple stats from FOxSports, bout all I got time for. Have at it, the board will await you're advanced knowledge of the current NCAAF 2018 QB class....

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/sam-darnold-player-stats

Quote:
AIR YARDS PER ATTEMPT in 2017: Rudolph 11.06, Mayfield 10.85, Jackson 10.41, Allen 10.34, Darnold 9.97, Rosen 8.11 #NFLDraft - avg in FBS this year was 9.04 AY/ATT

https://twitter.com/CecilLammey/status/941081590347710465

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Originally Posted By: BDU

That's kinda interesting actually. Although, I wouldn't waste my time with Tannehill. Just draft Mayfield and be done with it.

I really like Tannehil and Mayfield. I'm on record as liking both too.
I really like Tannehil, they should have just drafted Ryan Tannehil several years ago when they traded up for Richardson, and we'd have been better off.

Have to pick one? Can't live in the past, have to live in the future, so Mayfield, and that is hard, because you know how much I love Tannehil.

They should have just picked Tannehil in the first place, we'd have more respect as a franchise, I believe, if they had.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Brownoholic
What do I care if he grabs his crotch and yells at the fans in Heinz field as we kick their ass...yep yep who wants that guy here!

15 year olds?

So I'm a 15 year old.

First off you really think he's going to do that in the NFL...I was answering a posters accusation of what he thinks Mayfield is all about...which it isn't.

So I put it into a perspective in his context.

You really think he's going to do that? I expect him to be excited and up for the game...but you real smart 16 year olds go think that is what his virtues are.
Not bringing his entire team up and playing better.
Not being a good QB who studies his opponents.
Not being a QB who actually can hit the broadside of the barn.
Not being a QB who just wins!

Yeah lets not even consider him cause after all in a heated game that the other team was giving it to him (wouldn't shake his hand before the game with the captains toss) Late hitting him. So after he put a nail in their coffin he grabbed his junk...oh no the horror.

You mature 16 year olds just know so much... crazy

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yeah lets not even consider him cause after all in a heated game that the other team was giving it to him (wouldn't shake his hand before the game with the captains toss) Late hitting him. So after he put a nail in their coffin he grabbed his junk...oh no the horror.

It wasn't just hitting him late, it was intentionally squaring up late and aiming to hit him in his throwing shoulder. It was literally a clear and blatant attempt to injure Mayfield.

My big frustration is that Mayfield has been dragged through the mud for grabbing his crotch, but the disgusting antics from the Kansas players is just happily accepted as part of the game.

The footage shows the Kanas players...

1. Refusing to shake hands at the captains midfield meeting. When your team captains are making unprofessional displays, it speaks volumes.

2. Consistent abuse and trash talk that went beyond anything normal. Baker had a players cussing him out on damn near every play.

3. Multiple late/cheap shots on Mayfield. One on a touchdown, another from Hansan Defense that, if I was an NFL GM, would have taken him off my draft board due to his deliberate attempt to injure another player.

They do all that, and Mayfield dominates them on the field before grabbing his crotch and says FU. Good on him.

I can understand people being disappointed in general with that kind of behaviour on the field, but I can't for the life of me figure out why KU gets a pass on that disgusting behaviour but Mayfield is the bad guy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'd take Mayfield all day over Tyrod Taylor.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
love this:

Video

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: jaybird
I don't think mayfield will be an amazing nfl qb... I'd put Jackson or Allen in front of him if we miss/pass on dwrnold or Rosen

If you asked me to pick one quarterback in this draft to bet my entire life savings on, I'm hitching my wagon to Baker Mayfield. He's a for sure thing.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Fixing the Browns this off season...

Link Copied to Clipboard