Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
O
Legend
Legend
O
rofl

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: TONY
Originally Posted By: GraffZ06
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: TONY
When Baker gets here, it will be the highest selling jersey of all time!!

As it was with JFF.

That experiment turned out pretty well for us. Might as well go back to that well. After all - draft day is our super bowl and jersey sales are our gauge of success. notallthere
Come on, Pettine hated Johnny and never put him in a position to win. If we had Johnny this year, we would have 5-8 wins.

D00d! rofl

You are like a comedic genius. That's good stuff sir. Seinfeld has nothing on you.

Wait, you WERE joking right? RIGHT?????

[Linked Image]

Fear us, for we are the BROWNS, led by the mighty BM! Only in Cleveland.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
Come on, Pettine hated Johnny and never put him in a position to win. If we had Johnny this year, we would have 5-8 wins.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I always noticed how big the football looks in Mayfields hands...definately noticed the same thing in Manziel..not to say a little QB can be successful, but it's definately something to watch.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mgh888
JFF Vs Baker Mayfield??

I haven't watched any games of any of the top 4 (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or Allen) .... but did a quick google and found this breakdown of Mayfield vs JFF. It seems a pretty decent breakdown.

http://waitingfornextyear.com/2017/11/to-evaluate-baker-mayfield-try-to-forget-johnny-football/

The more things change the more they stay the same.
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I was going to make a new thread but I’ll just pose my question here.

What do we do if Cousins sign with Denver, Smith signs with Wash, McCarron is not granted UFA and stays in Cincy? Then Rosen, Darnold, and Barkley all go back to school. And you cant trade down?

Who do you draft at 1 and 4? Who is our starting QB next year?

T
Legend
Legend
T
I'd still take Mayfield at #1. The Browns would have reached out to whomever the Vikings let go, Bradford or Bridgewater, and claim that Kiser is the starter.

Just like they claimed Kessler was the starter this year.

Denzell Ward at #5.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
This certainly makes me think you haven't watched Dak play lately and that maybe you don't realize that Russel Wilson doesn't look as good as he used to either.

You do understand that Mayfield comes from a system that leaves a lot of question marks left to be answered as to how he will transition into the NFL, right?

I swear these guys on Mayfield and Jackson are PS4 players, 16 years old and wanna see the Browns play a 5 Wide, High Octane, Run all over the field Track Meet Offense.

Where's Chip Kelly nowadays? Lmao

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cle23
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Originally Posted By: cle23
Originally Posted By: jaybird
I don't think mayfield will be an amazing nfl qb... I'd put Jackson or Allen in front of him if we miss/pass on dwrnold or Rosen

If you asked me to pick one quarterback in this draft to bet my entire life savings on, I'm hitching my wagon to Baker Mayfield. He's a for sure thing.

He's anything but a sure thing. He has terrible footwork and plays in an offense that doesn't translate to NFL success very easily. The things that make him successful in college will be a much tougher go in the NFL. He seems to have the drive to be successful so anything is possible but it won't be an easy transition as you're making it, especially with his limited physical tools.

huh? what limited physical tools?

Limited size, limited speed for the style of play, limited arm strength. Mayfield is a great college player, and could very well be a great NFL player, but there are some hurdles that are going to be tough for him to overcome.

He isn't Russell Wilson, but he plays like it in college. He can't play like that in the NFL because he isn't nearly as physically gifted as Wilson. He will have to adapt his style of play, which is really hard to do. Changing what has made you successful is hard to do and still be successful.

While it's true Mayfield doesn't have Russell Wilson type arm strength, Mayfield's arm strength is still pretty good and I would not call it limited. Height isn't a physical tool but if it was Mayfield has proven its not an issue for him from the pocket. He produces well from the pocket. And going back to Wilson, that's why some don't agree with the Wilson comparisons. Mayfield isn't Wilson and he isn't Brees, he's Baker Mayfield.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: kwhip
This certainly makes me think you haven't watched Dak play lately and that maybe you don't realize that Russel Wilson doesn't look as good as he used to either.

You do understand that Mayfield comes from a system that leaves a lot of question marks left to be answered as to how he will transition into the NFL, right?

I swear these guys on Mayfield and Jackson are PS4 players, 16 years old and wanna see the Browns play a 5 Wide, High Octane, Run all over the field Track Meet Offense.

I swear these guys against Mayfield saw that one stinkin' video of him getting arrested and wrote him off. And have no clue about his game only making absurd references and comparisons which clearly illustrate they don't know what they are talking about.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: GraffZ06
Precisely.

Fans will be fans, but there's no doubt Mayfield will have a very successful NFL career.

No doubt. LMFAO.

I need to pin this sucker so I can pull it out in about 3 years when he's no longer in the league. Maybe he can reminisce about his playing days with Johnny.

No doubt. Give me a break. EVERYONE in the draft has "doubts".

I would certainly take that bet. Mayfield has more staying power than Josh Rosen.

I'm clearly pointing out that Mayfield is the best quarterback in the draft. Everyone seems to ignore the fact that Mayfield is one of the best passers from the pocket in the draft, the fact that Mayfield has one the best arms in the draft, the fact Mayfield is one the most accurate if not the most accurate passer in the draft, while trying to say he's uninspiring while throwing for 380+ yds against one of the best college defenses in the country, while trying to compare his 40+ TD / 5 Int season to that of a 27 TD / 12 int season from a quarterback we drafted 5 yrs ago in the 3rd round and trying to call him the same guy. A lot of people seem to be reaching, trying to hate on the guy, I really don't get it, but they're just reaching ignoring all the facts.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

There's like 30 tracks that I'd have Baker on before the track team. I'm thinking vinyls, go karts, UPS anything before having that dude run in a straight line.

M
Legend
Legend
M

I'm not advocating for Baker - and in fact the opinion of the college football friends I trust most have said "Josh Allen" should be the guy .... BUT ....

The comparison between JM and Baker Mayfield seems to be unfair .... they do seem to have a couple things in common that are legitimate - 1. Height - both less than ideal by any NFL standard. 2. Spread offense - both came from non-NFL shotgun heavy offenses. After that and just from the article I posted - I think the similarities stop. . . . When I watched JM tape - he seemed to throw an awful lot of balls up for Mike Evans to go up and get - that boosted JM stats and made him look better than he was. Those throws were never going to be viable in the NFL (even with a Mike Evans or Josh Gordon goint to get them) I don't see that in BM. I see some timing throws and some plays where BM has to read the D and find the open guy .... With JM I saw a lot of plays where he was fast enough to beat a lot of second tier college talent and he ran a lot - and that 'speed' never translated to the NFL - not even close. . . wasn't it his first game or series where JM tried to get to the edge for Cleveland and he was chased down and took a big shot from a DE? . . . Mayfield is altogether more solid, compact, stocky ... and he sure does not look like he ever wants to run and is looking to pass first.

I've only just begun to look at any of the QB's and scratch the surface - but as a true QB and with regard to arm talent it looks like Baker Mayfield is miles ahead of where JM ever was. . . . and as someone else pointed out, if JM had actually wanted, desired and worked hard at his craft, I think he could have been a pretty decent NFL QB. If BM is ahead of JF on several of the attributes you want in your QB - then there is no reason to think BM is doomed from the outset.

The fact that JM was basically a talented, entitled bum who never did anything to help himself succeed in the NFL - and that Baker Mayfield reminds some people of JM because of his height, Heisman award and spread offense in college shouldn't and doesn't mean Baker Mayfield gets tarred with the JM brush... I agree entirely that any QB taken from a spread offense in college has huge question marks to account for and that needs to be examined/reviewed and questioned - and that being 6' adds another layer of uncertainty and reduces the probability of success .... but it's far, far from an automatic disqualification of success in the NFL imo.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
I was going to make a new thread but I’ll just pose my question here.

What do we do if Cousins sign with Denver, Smith signs with Wash, McCarron is not granted UFA and stays in Cincy? Then Rosen, Darnold, and Barkley all go back to school. And you cant trade down?

Who do you draft at 1 and 4? Who is our starting QB next year?

Trade out of 1, Derwin James at 4 then trade up and get Minkah Fitzpatrick and no clue on QB under the circumstances you present

Last edited by SaintDawg; 12/29/17 10:39 AM.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
JFF Vs Baker Mayfield??

I haven't watched any games of any of the top 4 (Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or Allen) .... but did a quick google and found this breakdown of Mayfield vs JFF. It seems a pretty decent breakdown.

http://waitingfornextyear.com/2017/11/to-evaluate-baker-mayfield-try-to-forget-johnny-football/

Yes, this was pretty good. More people need to watch.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: dawg531
Originally Posted By: eotab
Watched Mayfield a lot this year...at least 6-7 games.

1. His OL is not that good as he is under pressure a lot.
2. I don't there is one QB in college that doesn't go downfield as much as Mayfield does.
3. I fell in love with him as he dropped back to pass and had somebody right in his face with the Bull in a China shop charge and he threw it while getting him to a WR on a 20 yard out with a man all over him. PERFECT throw to the outside hands of the WR where only he could make the catch. With no available follow through. I was sold after seeing that play, and it was one of many!

jmhobservation.

I hear you, we all want THAT QB but if he's told not to go downfield after five ints in the first game? (because that kind of "fling it" style doesnt translate well into the NFL usually because the players are so quick) Then will he be the guy we want? Just a thought.

Keep in mind that is a big part of Hue Jackson's Offensive philosophy.

Why would he throw 5 ints when his MO is to be very accurate.
And he makes adjustments like the back shoulder throw to a Gordon if the Defender is giving him a big cushion on the deep pass...ala Kizer's INT on the long ball to Gordon where back shoulder wold have been Gold.

The point here is that I say how accurate he is. Those who hate Mayfield says that all he does is dink and dunk that is how he has thrown for 70% + the last two seasons. Which just is not true as stated the kid throws down field more than anyone I've seen!

jmho We deserve an accurate Passer for our Franchise QB.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
A quote from the article that I found really interesting:

"Keep in mind that Mayfield was a walk-on that outworked QB's at TTU, then transferred to OU where he outworked and outplayed some very highly recruited QB's to earn his spot AND a scholarship. This is a guy whose best offer was from Rice and he wanted to prove himself. Now he's probably going to win the Heisman by the biggest landslide in history of the trophy.

He's also played and learned via 3 different OC's and 3 different QB coaches in college."

Last edited by mgh888; 12/29/17 09:20 AM.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I keep thinking to myself, "If Kirk Cousins is smart, he's on a plane to Cleveland so damn fast that Washington doesn't even know what is happening."

With Kirk Cousins signed, the first overall pick almost certainly becomes Saquon Barkely and the 4/5th overall pick could easily be one of the top rated tackles like Connor Williams, Orlando Brown or Mike McGlinchey.

That 33rd pick almost certainly has someone like Christian Kirk, James Washington, Calvin Ridley, Cortland Sutton or Simmie Cobbs there for the taking.

The Browns offense then suddenly boasts;

Kirk Cousins
Saquon Barkely/Duke Johnson
Joe Thomas
Joel Bitonio
J.C Tretter
Kevin Zeitler
Williams/Brown/McGlinchey
Josh Gordon/Corey Coleman/Cobbs/Washington/Kirk/Ridley/Sutton
Njoku/Devalve

That has all the making of an elite offense that could be amongst the best in the league.

The Browns would still have an abundance of cap space, not to mention a 3rd and two 4th round draft picks, to continue building up that defense, of which the front seven is already pretty damn set.

Heck, you get Kirk Cousins, don't be shocked if other free agents become very interested. Guys like Trumaine Johnson and Earl Thomas are suddenly very receptive to signing contracts with the Browns, also. Those three guys chew up a large portion of the cap space, but the Browns would immediately be a playoff team with such free agents and draft selections.

The question only becomes if it's possible to get Cousins. Is Washington going to franchise tag him again for $35M? Will they apply a non-exclusive tag or transition tag?

I wonder if there is any way that Cousins could try file a grievance if they continue to restrict him from leaving. The relationship has broken down, and ESPN is reporting via team officials and league sources that he won't be back, so they might have no option but to let the guy move on as he wishes to do so.

That would be one heck of an offseason.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If Hue stays I say you better like AJ McCarron because I'm betting it's who Hue pushes for...

M
Legend
Legend
M
I like that thought ! That's what I had been saying since about 1/2 way through the year...

QB - sign Kirk Cousins or Alex Smith.
WR - I'd make a big play for Sammy Watkins or Jarvis Landry. We have $$$ - use it on someone that is special.
RB - I'd rather find a player later in the draft than taking Barkley at #1. If we sign Cousins or Smith and can find a trade partner out of the #1 pick I'd try to drop 4-6 spots. With the first two picks I'd take Minkah Fitzpatrick and one of those top tackles... find Joe Thomas's replacement now and groom him at RT before moving him over to LT.

I'd love to see Josh Allen fall to the top of Round 2 and take him there but I bet he's this year's riser like Patrick Mahomes was last year .... oh well. A lot of options and a long way to go.

Last edited by mgh888; 12/29/17 12:14 PM.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Manziel had huge hands and feet for 5'11".

Legend
Legend
Guess I’m the minority.

I have no problem if they want to grab McCarron. I think he could be really good

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
If Hue stays I say you better like AJ McCarron because I'm betting it's who Hue pushes for...

Dorsey should be fired if he trades for him.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

Dorsey should be fired if he trades for him.

rofl

Actually, I wouldn't mind history repeating itself. Get a guy who can probably win some games and draft Mayfield. Mayfield will beat out McCarron.... kinda like when Wilson beat out Matt Flynn.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It'll be Hue who pushes for him. But yes, Dorsey better shut that stuff down quickly!

P
Legend
Legend
P

I swear these guys against Mayfield saw that one stinkin' video of him getting arrested and wrote him off. And have no clue about his game only making absurd references and comparisons which clearly illustrate they don't know what they are talking about.

If that's what you're getting out of everything being posted, you're reading comprehension is sorely lacking.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Hard to be definite cause of the lack of reps but McCarron should be a good Bridge QB...
Thing standing in that way is the RFA status and what level they tag him with. I did read a while back McCarron is fighting that RFA status and might be a UFA instead so no draft compensation would be involved. If UFA I don't think we would have much competition in $$$ spent on him.

jmho load that up front for him as we groom our Franchise QB not named Kizer wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Watching Penn State and I'm starting to believe Barkley would make nearly any QB better. A good WR later and this offense soon becomes valid.
Would a pick like Barkley, a WR prospect and JG help persuade saaaay, Cousins come to town? We'll, that and a Brinks truck!

Legend
Legend
Watching Penn State and I'm starting to believe Barkley would make nearly any QB better. A good WR later and this offense soon becomes valid.
Would a pick like Barkley, a WR prospect and JG help persuade saaaay, Cousins come to town? We'll, that and a Brinks truck!

Would Hue use him, properly?

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hue who?...

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

Sure. Problem is that FA starts waaaay before the draft.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So you can't tell a guy, "We ARE drafting Barkley". "WE ARE going after a top flight WR". "We want YOU to lead the orchestra".
"And here's a crap ton of money to boot"!

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
If we sign a WR, I hope it's Mike Wallace. I'd overpay for him to be here. We need some leadership for that group desperately.

Legend
Legend
Hue who?...

The guy Haslem said would lead us into our 2018 campaign.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Hue who?...

The guy Haslem said would lead us into our 2018 campaign.

If you give him those tools and he's flops he can go jump back in the lake.

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So you can't tell a guy, "We ARE drafting Barkley". "WE ARE going after a top flight WR". "We want YOU to lead the orchestra".
"And here's a crap ton of money to boot"!

And that will be really attractive to Kirk Cousins when it comes to making his decision.

What the Browns have is the ability to build around him, suited to his strengths, and very likely with a lot of direct input from Cousins himself.

Cousins won't be naïve to what Dorsey did with/for Alex Smith in Kansas City. Ultimately, it is Alex Smith who has failed to deliver a ring to arguably the most talented roster in the league.

I think it is safe to assume that, on the open market, Cousins could realistically command a 6 year deal worth $168M, which eclipses Matthew Stafford's deal by $1M per year.

The Browns would still have something along the lines of $38M in cap space, and six of the first 65 selections in the 2018 draft.

With that level of freedom, Cousins can certainly have his strengths tailored to, with the most assets to have that accomplished quickly.

Personally, I think the Browns boast the best situation for Cousins. Most cap space, most draft assets, and a very young roster that he can both grow with and be the unquestioned leader of.

I feel good about the potential fit. With the 49ers in the market, Cousins-to-Cleveland felt like a pipe dream, but I think the Browns would have to currently be the front runners.

B
Legend
Legend
B
To sign Cousins would be huge. I would tell him we are trading back out of the #1 pick. We could get a boatload, can't pass on that. Then I would tell him he would be at the table and have input on the rest of our first and 2nd round selections, especially offensive selections.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
To sign Cousins would be huge. I would tell him we are trading back out of the #1 pick. We could get a boatload, can't pass on that. Then I would tell him he would be at the table and have input on the rest of our first and 2nd round selections, especially offensive selections.

Totally agree with your take on this, 'peen...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Totally agree with your take on this, 'peen...

I would be all in with overpaying Cousins, give him the keys to the city, unlimited use of Haslams plane and a dinner date with Dee.

However, I see almost no chance that Washington lets him go. If they did, they would have Colt McCoy and the #14 ish pick in the draft. They will franchise tag him again and that would require us to give up 2 1st Rd picks + the $$$. Not gonna happen IMO

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I would like to see the Browns trade for Alex Smith and draft a QB and Barclay in the first round. Next we get a FS, wr and cb. We need to add some veteran ralent in free agency. Veterans that are leaders not malcontents. No more trade backs, we have enough young players, we need quality talent.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Fixing the Browns this off season...

Link Copied to Clipboard