Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Thats BS ...

Our run D is VERY GOOD ... when healthy, its as good a front 7 as their is in the NFL ...

I don’t know what to think of Williams .. it BOGGLES MY MIND how he keeps playing the same D and expects different results ... but let not get STUPID HERE ...

Our run D is VERY GOOD when healthy ... our front 7 is on par with anyone else’s in the NFL ...

So you agree with me?

D
Legend
Legend
D
No ... not even close ....

I don’t think were selling out to do squat ... since the injuries we’ve been average at best against the run ...

Not sure how playing your safety in the next zip code is selling out to stop the run ...

I think our run D when healthy is VERY VERY GOOD ... like i said ... i’d Put our front 7 against any in the league ...

If thats what u think .. then i agree with u ... thumbsup

O
Legend
Legend
O
Greg Williams doesn't impress me very much, but I'm going to give him a pass this year because of the run defense. That's been an issue for a long time, and he has definitely improved it. It's not much, but it's something you can point to. The defense also visibly fell off after he lost Collins and Ogbah. Those are two big losses.

I don't think he needs a huge influx of new talent. I think his current new talent needs an offseason, and the guy needs a starting-caliber FS. Not a great FS, just one that's competent enough to start. We will hopefully get that with a high pick this year. A starting-caliber corner is gravy compared to addressing the FS position.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
What I meant by selling out to stop the run is playing the three linebackers together most of the time (which other teams do not do). I agree that our run defense is very good (and said so).

I think the safety plays deep and the corners play so far off because Gregg Williams knows that he is "selling out" to stop the run and doesn't want to get beat deep.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Ok .. that clears it up some ...

We still don’t agree .. *L* ...

I think he plays LBer’s all the time cause our db’s are so bad ... we don’t have a dime corner much less a quarter or 50 cent one ... *L* ....

I don’t think it has a thing to do with us selling out to stop the run ..

I have no clue why he plays the db’s so far off .. NONE ...

It makes no sense to me to blitz more than anyone else in the league as far as i know and always leave the O with an EASY OUT ... that makes no sense to me .. so no way am i going to try and guess that he does it for run support ...

The entire thing is MIND BOGGLING to me ... ZERO LOGIC in it ...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like the way the D line is coming together .. The LB core keeps me scratching my head .. I no the absence of Collins has been glaring , but even with him on the field are LB's can't cover Running backs or TE's !!!!!

Schobert making the pro bowel as an alternate was a bit of a stretch to me also ..

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
J/c

I think Greg plays the LBs all game because he believes they are better options in coverage then the DBs.

This makes us very stout against the run especially in nickel run situations because a LB is gonna be better against the run then a DB.

But it also gives the offense very favorable match-up with their pass catching TE vs one of our LBs (who like most LBs struggle against receiving TEs).

The inability to Cover TEs is only part of the problem though.

Here's my shot at why Greg plays so much off coverage and blitz alot:

1- doesn't trust the DBs in man or to press
2- doesn't want to give up the long ball if/when the offense can block up his blitz
3- he expects the blitz to force QBs to throw quickly and he trusts his defense to rally and make a tackle limiting YAC and while rallying to the ball give the defenders a chance to punch it free
4- that's how he runs his defense and he's not changing

Legend
Legend
I think that we'll see a new FS, and a lot of defense with 3 S playing at the same time. Maybe it's not a true Nickel, but speedy S instead of either a LB ot a DL, would have the advantage of being able to cover the TE, and/or also the ability to send a fast S as a pass rusher. We have seen the Williams likes to blitz DBs. I don't think that Schobert will, necessarily, be the guy to come off the field. He has shown legitimate talent, and quickness, at the MLB spot.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Adding a FS will be improving 2 positions as it allows Peppers to play in his position of strength.

Add a legit corner be it via draft or FA and our pass coverage steps up big.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Adding Collier back would help as well. But it would be nice to see Pepper playing in our zip code rather than what Williams has done. I think our lack of takeaways has been inexcusable.
We don't stop much and almost tell them where to throw it.

Williams needs a change in his scheme IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Guess I need to go back and watch some games ( nah ) to painful, lol ... I just don't think Schobert is a good cover guy .. Seems to me he was running from behind , or not even in Picture when TE's and running backs where coming across the middle !

E
Legend
Legend
E
And our CB/DB situation is pretty bad we have a couple of ballers but the depth is not good plus we had injuries there also. We play a soft zone cause we don't have the personnel to come up and play Man like a Seattle does.

We play a soft cushion and teams get decent STATS on our pass D.
But we are in most games. McCourtey by far is our best CB and if you look at him he really isn't that great or anything.

Taylor I think declined. Bouty-Calhoun really didn't show up much this year. Kindred played tough. Reynolds was hurt,
Peppers played 25-30 yards off the ball.

jmho we did what we had to do and try to be competitive.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I like to get to the root of the problem , cast aspersions , lol ... We had very little to no talent in the defensive back field this season .. That forced what Williams could do .. So the problem goes right to the top ; FO and Owner ..

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Here's my shot at why Greg plays so much off coverage and blitz alot:

1- doesn't trust the DBs in man or to press
1a- the front 4 doesn't generate enough pressure on their own

2- doesn't want to give up the long ball if/when the offense can block up his blitz

3- he expects the blitz to force QBs to throw quickly and he trusts his defense to rally and make a tackle limiting YAC and while rallying to the ball give the defenders a chance to punch it free

4- that's how he runs his defense and he's not changing

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think 1A changes with a healthy Ogbah and Garrett ??

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I have never understood why we used Peppers the way we did. To draft him in the first round and use hime like this is a huge waist of a pick.
We have been unable to cover TEs or backs.
Our pass rush is weak. The excuse seems to be the QBs are getting rid of the ball quickly. Then why are our dbs playing so far off in coverage? Nothing we have been told makes sense, just excuses.
Our run defense has been very good. I like our d-line and linebackers but our secondary needs help.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
I tend to agree and Gregg probably wouldn't have blitz so much if he had them together but for most of the season they weren't together.

And looking forward to the draft I would prioritize drafting another premiere edge rusher early if one is the BPA somewhere in the 1st 2 rounds I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

That 3rd pass rusher can play in nickel and kick Ogbah or Garrett in to 3-tech DT. And they provide back-up edge rush in case of injury and prevent the pass rush from falling of a cliff due to injury.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Adding a FS will be improving 2 positions as it allows Peppers to play in his position of strength.

It would absolutely improve the FS position, but I'm not so sure about SS. Kindred has been good, I don't think you would automatically slot Peppers in at SS. I think Peppers might have to settle for manning a hybrid position similar to what he played in college.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: edromeo
I tend to agree and Gregg probably wouldn't have blitz so much if he had them together but for most of the season they weren't together.

Didn't he blitz more than anyone last year when he had Robert Quinn and Aaron Donald?

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: edromeo

Didn't he blitz more than anyone last year when he had Robert Quinn and Aaron Donald?
I don't know. But see reason 4.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

It would absolutely improve the FS position, but I'm not so sure about SS. Kindred has been good, I don't think you would automatically slot Peppers in at SS. I think Peppers might have to settle for manning a hybrid position similar to what he played in college.

Load up on corners and move McCourty to FS?

O
Legend
Legend
O
I would say no. As glaring a hole as we have at FS, we still need all the help we can get at corner.

That guy (Howard Wilson) that we drafted was looking good in the short look we got of him before he went down with the knee injury. Hopefully he picks up where he left off when he's back.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
I heard Jim Donovan say that before Joe Haden was released the plan had been to use McCourty at FS, so maybe we really could address FS by drafting CB help. I guess I could see McCourty at FS, at least more so than Peppers.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
Browns blitzed at the league’s highest rate (45%). Nobody generated fewer pressures (170).

https://twitter.com/Pat_Thorman/status/948953674528772098

Legend
Legend
so we blitz the most, and got the least amount of pressures.

well, thats pretty pathetic.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Browns blitzed at the league’s highest rate (45%). Nobody generated fewer pressures (170).

Are run blitzes screened out of this?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Quote:

Are run blitzes screened out of this?

Good question.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

This stat speaks to how overrated our DL is.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

This stat speaks to how overrated our DL is.

We don't have that pass rushing DT yet, but I think one of these young guys could become one. (especially Ogunjobi)

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep.

I didn't think the DL would be as good as many posters said they would be before the season, but I did think that they would get more pressure than they did.

I also will say that Ogunjobi played better than I thought he would. He does show some explosion out of his stance. I like that. He plays hard, too. He just commits too early at times and gets redirected. He has potential, though.

Diam made a good point to me in a PM. He brought up how often our DE's are in a 4-pt. stance. I really hadn't noticed that, but I started watching for it and sure enough, they were.

I find that odd. A four point stance allows the d-lineman to have a lower base and not get moved against the run game. It also allows him to cover 2 gaps a bit easier. However, it is not as good to explode out of your stance when rushing the passer.

I hate pointing out that this could be a coaching issue due to all the hateful crap going on regarding the coaches, but this is probably a pretty good point to consider. Our run defense improved significantly this year. Our pass rush from our DL did not, despite having a guy like Myles.

I wonder if Gregg wants his DL to stop the run and wants to rush the passer w/blitzers. I am not saying that is true. Just saying I am considering it.

If that is the case, I am not sure I am a big fan of that philosophy.

Disclaimer: None of the above means I think that Williams should be fired.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yep.

I didn't think the DL would be as good as many posters said they would be before the season, but I did think that they would get more pressure than they did.

I also will say that Ogunjobi played better than I thought he would. He does show some explosion out of his stance. I like that. He plays hard, too. He just commits too early at times and gets redirected. He has potential, though.

Diam made a good point to me in a PM. He brought up how often our DE's are in a 4-pt. stance. I really hadn't noticed that, but I started watching for it and sure enough, they were.

I find that odd. A four point stance allows the d-lineman to have a lower base and not get moved against the run game. It also allows him to cover 2 gaps a bit easier. However, it is not as good to explode out of your stance when rushing the passer.

I hate pointing out that this could be a coaching issue due to all the hateful crap going on regarding the coaches, but this is probably a pretty good point to consider. Our run defense improved significantly this year. Our pass rush from our DL did not, despite having a guy like Myles.

I wonder if Gregg wants his DL to stop the run and wants to rush the passer w/blitzers. I am not saying that is true. Just saying I am considering it.

If that is the case, I am not sure I am a big fan of that philosophy.

Disclaimer: None of the above means I think that Williams should be fired.

I didn't play d-line very much, but when I did, I hated the 4 pt stance. I always felt off balance. Some defensive coaches mandate the interior guys in the 4 pt. Gregg may just be one of those guys.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, it is kinda weird for a DE to play that way in the NFL.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah, it is kinda weird for a DE to play that way in the NFL.

Oh I didn't think you meant the DE's as well! That is strange and I didn't notice that. Was it every down?

Last edited by DeputyDawg; 01/04/18 09:06 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Not every down, but yeah...........the DE's were the guys I was talking about. I understand it for a DT, but not a DE.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Not every down, but yeah...........the DE's were the guys I was talking about. I understand it for a DT, but not a DE.

The Run/Pass read is an awful lot harder for the LB's since they have to drop back so far. Gregg could be forcing the d-line to play run first to give the LB's a jump.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, that makes sense.

I'm still working through this. Haven't reached a good analysis yet. I'm kinda leaning towards our secondary sucking so bad. I might have to back-off my comment on the DL not generating enough pressure. I mean, they didn't......but, there could be extenuating circumstances as to the "why" of it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've been wondering why we've been doing so well against the run in this defensive scheme because of the tax on the LB's and that would answer that question for me.

Maybe we could get Ed to post some all-22 and take a closer look.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, that would be cool.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I just remembered he posted this in another thread. I only looked at the first couple of minutes so far, but the DE's look to be 1 gapping out of the 4 pt and Shelton is in a 3 pt and I can't tell the other DT's stance do to the camera angle.

It doesn't seem like there is any rhyme or reason to it so far, but if I see anything I'll let you know.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Good addition. Thanks.

Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Why is Gregg Williams getting a pass?

Link Copied to Clipboard