Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Make a strong play for Cousins, we have the cap space to overpay for a potion of need. I belIeve a part of him would like to come back to northeast Ohio and play football.

A northeast Ohio QB was the last to lead us to a winning record, and his name wasn't Bernie. It was Brian Hoyer. Make a strong play for Cousins

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Early this season I started watching his games. This guy just doesn't impress me. He seems like what his record says he is...a capable starter on an average team.

He has some moxy but he doesn't make those around him that much better like you see the top5 or 10 do.

I'd rather take risk on Darnold or the UCLA kid.

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
D
Legend
Legend
D
I would say yes, but the money involved and even though we have it to give - I too would take one of the top Qbs this draft and roll with him.

I just don't think he's top 5 material and qualified for the rumored money he's wanting. JMO

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
I would say yes, but the money involved and even though we have it to give - I too would take one of the top Qbs this draft and roll with him.

I just don't think he's top 5 material and qualified for the rumored money he's wanting. JMO

How much money we pay a QB if he can make us winners should not come into play. We have tried the bargain basement shopping and it has got us nothing. Besides in 3 years his salary will probably be a bargain. We need to win now. Dorsey has said as much and I agree. I am tired of getting excited about drafting Quinn, McCoy, Frye, Weeden, Manzell, Kessler, Kiser and signing RG3, McCown, Delhomme, Dorsey, Anderson, Dilfer, Hoyer, Wallace ..... it has to stop. We need our QB now. If Dorsey thinks it's Cousins, then get him.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Glw12
We need to win now...We need our QB now.

Yes, we most certainly do! A vet QB offers us a better chance to get a couple of wins early...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Legend
Legend
D
I could be wrong, but I believe Kirk Cousins was born in Illinois and went to HS in Michigan.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The thing with Cousins is he is more than a stop gap player. He still has a lot of gas in the tank.

He won't come here unless we tell him we won't take a 1st round QB. Take Barkley and Fitz.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
The thing with Cousins is he is more than a stop gap player. He still has a lot of gas in the tank.

He won't come here unless we tell him we won't take a 1st round QB. Take Barkley and Fitz.

Yes, Cousins could possibly play another 5-7 years. A very good question then whether or not to draft a QB at #1. I can see the various scenarios and how they could play out, but I really don't know which way to proceed. As someone once said (and I forget who it was), if you have 2 QB's, you don't have one...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
My memory just gagged and puked reading that list. Pick a vet that is adequate; pick best in draft. Then get all that you can. And don't look back.

Cousins? Smith? Get something playable week one. That QB is not on the roster.

I am tired of mystery products forced to start while we repeat "We need to know what we have." Examine that!
Do we know now? (We must!)
Do we have doubts? (Between practice, games, and class/film, why would you have a doubt?
I posit that if this so, you don't know what you saw and won't. Give up)
If we have to say we battled, we practiced hard, played well, and need to tell fans that weekly, we are shameless hucksters. Play hard and win, this line of crap and snake oil is not needed. Fans know. Saying otherwise is wrong.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Legend
Legend
P
I watched Cousins play and I watched Wentz play. Cousins in no Wentz and we passed on Wentz. Dropping to #22 or waiting until the second or third round isn't the way to help insure you land your QB.

Mediocrity isn't something I'd overpay for to avoid reaching for greatness.

If you think we can sign Cousins and still draft a QB at #1, then I'm all for it. But cousins isn't going to go for that. If it's one or the other, I'd take Rosen every day of the week.

Cousins is a mediocre QB who can win you some games. But he isn't a top 10 QB that is going to take you where you want to go. I guess if you want to settle....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
a QB who tossed for over 4000 yards in 3 straight seasons is somehow “mediocre”

For a losing franchise, our fans sure do have unexplainably high standards.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
I would much rather have a Carson Wentz than a Kirk Cousins.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I think I rather have Cousins.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
Well we just disagree then.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Seriously. I'd take Wentz and it would not even be close. Wentz is going to be a top 5 QB in this league and Cousins won't sniff that.

Legend
Legend
I'll take either smile.... I think wentz will be viewed as better once both are done... but cousins is a good qb... I still draft a qb high no matter who we sign....

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I guess if you want to settle....

Good God, you're settling for 1-31 in wanting Hue.... I'm not following you. There's nothing wrong with some mediocrity while our young players develop. Cousins, Kizer and #1 or #4 is what I'd like to see. I think that would be good for 6-9 wins next year with our skill level and some decent playcalling. Then hopefully it will all come together after that.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I hope we just sign McCaron and give Hue the QB he lobbied for. I am sure the clouds will part and the earth will tremble during his workout. Like Hue said "Trust Me"

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Don't hold your breath.

Cousins won't come here if we tell him we're taking a QB at #1. Ain't happening.

And if he does come here you can bet your ass he inquired about it and we told him NO First Round QB will be taken.

So then we DO take Darnold or Rosen and we just flat out LIED to Cousins. Not a wise start.

I'm also dreading paying Cousins the 28m a year he's gonna want, and he'll get it somewhere.

He ain't worth the HIGHEST $$$ in the NFL. Not even close.

I still go Darnold or Rosen and a Vet like Mccarron or equivalent.

If we do land Cousins, so be it.

Legend
Legend
I agree.. cousins/fa, #1/#4, and Kizer,,,, that's how I'm going into next year

<><

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

I would love to have Wentz .. Is he a Free Agent this year ? If not, I'll take Cousins. He's available.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
I would offer him a 4 year/$120 million deal, with $60 million in guarantees. (over the 1st 2 years of the deal)

That gives us our starter, protection is the rookie we draft either comes on strong, or flops, and is manageable with our current cap situation.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm guessing, perhaps wrongly, Cousins will want more than a 4 year deal and with more guaranteed $, although Stafford has $60M guaranteed.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Our situation isn't as bad as it is made out to be. We have a pretty good offensive line (especially if the left tackle comes back), some promising receivers (Josh Gordon, David Njoku, and Corey "If He Can Stay Healthy" Coleman), and the potential to add lots more talent through the draft and free agency.

With all that said, because of the franchise's instability, there are several teams that Kirk Cousins should want to play for before us. The Jaguars and Broncos both come to mind. The Bills, Jets, and Cardinals all would be better too.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Cousins is going to end up in Jacksonville or Buffalo before he comes to Cleveland.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BpG
Cousins is going to end up in Jacksonville or Buffalo before he comes to Cleveland.

Also, Washington got just franchise him again (I think that is the most likely outcome).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pit, I hate to be they guy that breaks it to you but Wentz was already drafted.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think ya’ll are dreaming that Cousins would be interested in Cleveland. There are far better options available.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Also, Washington got just franchise him again (I think that is the most likely outcome).

I don't think they can afford that. A 3rd year under the franchise tag would cost the Skins $34.6 million.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

I don't think they can afford that. A 3rd year under the franchise tag would cost the Skins $34.6 million.

They are projected to have $52 million in cap space (https://overthecap.com/calculator/washington-redskins/).

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Swish

100% agreed. It's stupidity at best. The guy is a pro-bowl quarterback who has been amongst the most efficient and productive in the entire league for three straight years, and our fans don't want him because we've got our pick of a quarterback class that certainly doesn't boast an Andrew Luck.

Give me a break.

These situations happen once a decade, and the Browns are quite possibly in the best situation to obtain his services at a time when it's being openly stated that he would "seriously consider" bringing his talents to Cleveland.

I swear, only in Cleveland.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

They are projected to have $52 million in cap space (https://overthecap.com/calculator/washington-redskins/).

Who else do they have with contracts up? They were not a very good team last year, even with Cousins, which would seem to indicate that they would need many upgrades outside of the QB position.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: BDU

100% agreed. It's stupidity at best. The guy is a pro-bowl quarterback who has been amongst the most efficient and productive in the entire league for three straight years, and our fans don't want him because we've got our pick of a quarterback class that certainly doesn't boast an Andrew Luck.

Give me a break.

These situations happen once a decade, and the Browns are quite possibly in the best situation to obtain his services at a time when it's being openly stated that he would "seriously consider" bringing his talents to Cleveland.

I swear, only in Cleveland.

You willing to give him close to 30m a year?

That's the HIGHEST PAID QB in the NFL.

You think he's the #1 QB in the NFL or are you just DESPERATE?

Look. If we deem him to be the dude we wanna go forward with, GREAT. But make NO MISTAKE. We won't be taking a Darnold or Rosen at 1 OR 4. That would just be IGNORANCE. Irresponsible IGNORANCE.

You guys see these Tag Numbers he's been playing under for the last 2 years and the $34m number this year and I SWEAR you think he's WORTH that.

I KNEW this would happen after him being tagged this year. Bloated Value.

Cousins is a 20-22m a year QB. NOT 30. That's laughable.

Legend
Legend
Isn’t the entire point of finding a QB is to GET to the point where we can pay a guy a contract like that?

Cousins allows us to skip the entire process of hoping we can find one in the draft, and go strait to the payday.

We actually have a somewhat semi-legit chance of getting a sure thing, a franchise QB, on a team that desperately needs one, and now we’re not comfortable paying Cousins a contract we can CLEARLY afford?

And he has at least 8 years left of high caliber play too?

I don’t get it. This guy put up elite numbers while playing with a bunch of bums.

Last edited by Swish; 01/14/18 06:27 PM.

- Theodore Roosevelt
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Isn’t the entire point of finding a QB is to GET to the point where we can pay a guy a contract like that?

Cousins allows us to skip the entire process of hoping we can find one in the draft, and go strait to the payday.

We actually have a somewhat semi-legit chance of getting a sure thing, a franchise QB, on a team that desperately needs one, and now we’re not comfortable pay Iing Cousins a contract we can CLEARLY afford?

And he has at least 8 years left of high caliber play too?

I don’t get it. This guy put up elite numbers while playing with a bunch of bums.

I hear ya man. This is crazy. We have crazy options.

I LOVED Cousins at Wisconsin. Still like him. But do you pay close to 30m a year for a QB that hasn't even gotten a team to a Conference Championship Game in 6 years?

30m a year is reserved for a 30 year old Brady and Rogers and Manning

A
Legend
Legend
A
Cousins at Wisconsin? What am I missing here?

Legend
Legend
Why not? Carr got paid and hasn’t even played in a playoff game. Andrew Luck got paid and hasn’t played in damn near two years.

Cousins is legit. Again, playoff games has to be an entire team effort.

But in this case, we aren’t talking about that. We are talking about cousins ability and results.

And look at his numbers. Then look at the lack of talent he’s forced to work with to put in context what his numbers are.

He’s gonna get paid by somebody. Why not us?

- Theodore Roosevelt
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: kwhip
You willing to give him close to 30m a year?

That's the HIGHEST PAID QB in the NFL.

You think he's the #1 QB in the NFL or are you just DESPERATE?

Look. If we deem him to be the dude we wanna go forward with, GREAT. But make NO MISTAKE. We won't be taking a Darnold or Rosen at 1 OR 4. That would just be IGNORANCE. Irresponsible IGNORANCE.

You guys see these Tag Numbers he's been playing under for the last 2 years and the $34m number this year and I SWEAR you think he's WORTH that.

I KNEW this would happen after him being tagged this year. Bloated Value.

Cousins is a 20-22m a year QB. NOT 30. That's laughable.

Damn right I'm willing to see him paid $30M per year. That just looks big because he's the latest quarterback to sign a contract. Joe Flacco was once the highest paid quarterback in the NFL.

I'm less worried about the 30M than the 30 touchdowns per year he's averaged over the last three season.

I'm more than happy to forgo the selection of Rosen/Darnold to bring in Cousins. Why draft a guy you hope plays like Cousins when you can just get Cousins? That's ignoring how consistently draft selections DON'T play like Cousins. One has a proven body of success in the NFL and is in the prime of his career.

Quarterbacks who average over 30 touchdowns and 4,000 yards on the year don't just fall off trees. When you've got the opportunity to add one, you try and get him. Hell or high water. Period. Jimmy opening the wallet is the least of my concerns.

As I've said before - the Browns have around $110M to spend, with no truly core free agent re-signings until Myles Garrett comes off contract. Don't worry about the money; it's not yours.

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Cousins at Wisconsin? What am I missing here?

Nothing. My bad. MSU. Lol

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kirk Cousins, we all are already

Link Copied to Clipboard