Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
There's better in the draft. If Dorsey is any good he will draft one.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It’s kind of a shame we have such a good receiving back in Duke Johnson because I really like McKinnon.

Hard to imagine Michael Floyd is only 28 years old. Wow

This is a really good crop of FA receivers who could conceivably all be UFAs. I probably like Landry and Robinson the best but any of them would help.

Sammy Watkins (24)
Jarvis Landry (25)
Allen Robinson (24)
Marqise Lee (26)
Jordan Matthews (25)

Kyle Fuller would be a nice pickup if he wants to leave the Bears.

BpG #1398352 01/27/18 10:08 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I like Landry and Robinson, provided that Robinson is healthy. He was the best WR for Jax before he got hurt. Lee is too unstable for my liking. Jordan Matthews is a good route runner and can catch in traffic. The negatives are that he drops a few too many and hasn't stayed healthy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is it worth it to take a shot at a RB such as Bell? I'm guessing you'll need to pay 14-15 mil per year. We need a serious run thread but that's a chunk of change.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I know that a lot of guys don't watch a ton of NFL games and have admitted that. That's fine, but I'm telling you guys that Landry is an excellent WR. I think some of posters are missing the boat on this guy. He is a true stud.

I kinda doubt he would come here, but if we had a chance to sign him, it would be a no-brainer.

Also, Coleman is not a slot receiver because he is not a good route runner. He is an outside WR trapped in a slot WRs body. He has been beyond disappointing.

Vers I totally agree...

Jarvis Laundry would be an immense pick up for us...Im not sure if a lot of people on this board get to see him play, but the guy plays bigger than his size. And it's not that he is Taylor Gabriel small, heck he's bigger than Odell Beckham...for 5'11 he is more NFL suited as he has a thicker frame.

I think you can ask NFL executives to list the best hands in the league...and Jarvis would probably be in their top 5. IDK why people on this board see that as nothing, when our WRs dropped so many passes.

Laundry would be huge in Cleveland...I know a lot of people are snake bitten by Bowe and Britt signings. Both of them were known problem child's both had already exited their prime and were cashing in one last pay day...unfortunatwly our FO was stupid enough to ignore the writing on the wall.

I know laundry had an incident with his girlfriend last summer, but as I know everything was cleared...deserves mentioning, but I'm sure, or at least hope our FO scopes everyone further.

You put Laundry on our team he automatically becomes our best WR...and that will surely aid our new QB at #1 overall.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
Is it worth it to take a shot at a RB such as Bell? I'm guessing you'll need to pay 14-15 mil per year. We need a serious run thread but that's a chunk of change.

I could be wrong, and theres no way of proving it...but if there was one player I think whom would check out if we signed them...it would be Leveon Bell. I mean Pittsburgh runs a tight ship and the players have so much success to hang their hats on. And you constantly hear rumblings of Bell...that just scares me as we always known for having really no backbone to our structure and team...and Bell really needs that structure and placement imho

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He would be running for his former OC. I don't know what their relationship was/is. Much stronger staff than in 2017 here too.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
People are definitely underestimating the QB play when talking about our receivers. Example... I see comparisons of Coleman to Michael Thomas and that we should have drafted Thomas. Flip flop Coleman and Thomas. Brees makes Coleman look like a pro bowler, while Kizer makes Thomas look like a bust.

You base drops on passes that are catchable. Nobody faults WR's for a QB missing them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt

Not when we can draft a very good RB and sign him to a much smaller, first contract.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Isn't Antonio Brown 5'11"?

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Swish #1398572 01/27/18 09:38 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Swish
it's cool, but we already have a 5'11 WR on the squad that we used a first rounder on.

i'd prefer we get a big body WR and move coleman to the slot.

Bring back Terrelle Pryor for 3 years on a 6 year deal.
Just wishing.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I won't be surprised to see the Browns targeting some of the guys from LA that Gregg Williams is familiar with. E.J Gaines and Trumaine Johnson are options at corner. Phillip Gaines is also possible to come over from KC. Terrance Mitchell, with the Chiefs, is another Dorsey-connected option.

I'm pleased to hear the Browns are interested in Jarvis Landry. It isn't just his talent that is appealing, but his positional fit. He's one of the best slot receivers in the NFL. With a hopefully-developed Njoku, and a hopefully-focused Gordon, the three combine to pose an incredible mismatch. It would be difficult to contain all three without one finding an opportunity to generate space. Especially if a young quarterback is a potential addition, it isn't a good time to go cheap on receiver.

This will be unpopular, but I'd like to bring Crowell back. Hyde and McKinnon are favourite, but have had less success than Crowell. Assuming Crowell isn't offered an insane contract, I think keeping him in place is a positive for everyone. We always talk about wanting to keep our players, but we're the first to happily see them leave until it bites us. Crowell averaged 4.1 per carry and Johnson averaged 4.2 per carry. Those are good numbers, the team just didn't run the ball. That 4.1/4.2 per carry is level with Jordan Howard, Zeke Elliot, C.J Anderson, D'onta Foreman and Derrick Henry. It was higher than Le'Veon Bell, LeSean McCoy, Leonard Fournette, Melvin Gordon, Frank Gore and Lamar Miller.

That's impressive, especially considering the Browns issues with Joe Thomas being injured, bringing in three new starters (One of which was basically a rookie) and having Joel Bitonio returning from a year off. That's without even mentioning the Browns issues with both quarterback play and playing from behind - and a certain coach who wasn't effective with his rushing decisions.

If Crowell isn't going to be overly expensive, I'm all for bringing back a guy who the team seems to love and is entering the prime of his career. Crowell also continued to be a decent receiver and blocker. He's not great at either, but enough to provide versatility.

As for Cousins, I think it's increasingly likely. This front office is likely a big draw card for a player, combined with the selections and cap space. I feel like there are other options for Cousins that lack both the assets and the big names to help build around him. The Browns already have a lot of core talent that can be difficult to find, especially the defensive front, and Cousins will already know he'll have Gordon, Coleman, Njoku and Johnson combined with both a clear need and ability to upgrade surrounding talent.

Cousins would call in to question the signing of Crowell. Do you sign him if Cousins can potentially make Barkley a no-brainer? Or do you grab both, and the first round could be dedicated to options such as FS, CB or OT?

I'm not a fan of building through free agency, but the Browns have the option to grab proven talent, and at this stage of the re-build I'm all for it if it is deemed the best course of action.

BDU #1398585 01/27/18 11:37 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: BDU
I'm pleased to hear the Browns are interested in Jarvis Landry. It isn't just his talent that is appealing, but his positional fit. He's one of the best slot receivers in the NFL. With a hopefully-developed Njoku, and a hopefully-focused Gordon, the three combine to pose an incredible mismatch. It would be difficult to contain all three without one finding an opportunity to generate space. Especially if a young quarterback is a potential addition, it isn't a good time to go cheap on receiver.

I agree with your assessment on Jarvis Landry and his fit with the team. I would also like to say that we are going to be linked to a ton of free agents (along with the 49ers). We have a ton of cap space and agents will be smart to leverage that against other teams, especially when they are trying to negotiate extensions with players' current teams.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Alex Smith Situation Will Have Major Impact On Kirk Cousins And Other Free Agent Quarterbacks

https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfran...s/#23b8a7de7180

It seems to be pretty obvious that the Kansas City Chiefs will trade Pro Bowl quarterback Alex Smith at some point this spring. Most figured Smith's days were numbered with the Chiefs when they traded up for Patrick Mahomes in the 2017 NFL Draft. It's something Smith himself has touched a lot on over the past several months.

Now, after seeing their postseason end abruptly at home against Tennessee in the AFC Wildcard Playoffs, speculation about a potential Smith trade has picked up.

The questions here are rather simple. Where will Smith land and what might the Chiefs get in return for the 34-year-old quarterback? We also must ask how the Smith situation might impact the rest of the NFL offseason.

ESPN's Adam Teicher detailed a potential return in a column on Thursday, bringing in former NFL general manager Mark Dominik to sort out the details.

Teicher notes that supply and demand will likely keep Smith's value down on the trade market, at which point Dominik agreed.

“That’s 100 percent true," Mark Dominik said. “When you look around the league, there are only about five or six landing spots and you have to realize some of those will be taken by draft picks."

Among those expected to be selected in the first round of April's draft, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen and Josh Allen could all go in the top 10. Teams exhausting that capital in the draft likely won't want to turn around and use another early-round pick on a stopgap option in Smith who has one year remaining on his contract.

Much like what we saw when the Patriots traded Jimmy Garoppolo to San Francisco in October, the leverage just isn't there for Kansas City. Everyone and their mother knows this team is going to trade Smith. In and of itself, that limits his value.

What might be bad news for the Chiefs could be music to the ears for teams looking to add one of the most-established quarterbacks to hit the trade market in years. It also potentially shakes up the entire foundation of the NFL offseason. More teams will be in on Smith, leading to a trickle-down effect relating to both the NFL Draft and Kirk Cousins' potential destination and contract in free agency.

We've seen the Arizona Cardinals bandied about as a potential destination for Smith after Carson Palmer announced his retirement. They still see themselves as contenders with a qualified quarterback under center. Picking 15th overall, this team could very well use its first-round pick on a quarterback of the future while sending a couple mid-round selections Kansas City's way for Smith.

Another team that remains an intriguing option are the Jacksonville Jaguars. Sure Blake Bortles led the squad to the AFC Championship Game and played well in New England. He's also not the primary reason Jacksonville turned it around and is set to count $19-plus million against the cap in 2018. That is guaranteed for injury only, meaning Jacksonville can release Bortles without a cap hit.

It's safe to assume that Smith will only be dealt to a team with a reasonable expectation of contention over the short term. In addition to Arizona and Jacksonville, that list could include the Washington Redskins, Minnesota Vikings, Denver Broncos, Cincinnati Bengals and Buffalo Bills. Again, this isn't a limited list right here.

Washington still finds itself at odds with impending free agent quarterback Kirk Cousins. The team could very well place the franchise tag on him for a third consecutive year, guaranteeing Cousins about $35 million for the 2018 season. That's highly unlikely to happen, given it would handcuff a team that needs to build up talent elsewhere on its roster in order to be considered contenders in the NFC.

If Smith's cost comes in as a couple mid-round picks, as we expect, Washington could very well decide that's a most cost-effective option. After all, he's only going to count $20.6 million against the cap next season. In turn, Washington could venture out there in the first round to add a potential quarterback of the future. That would enable quarterback-needy teams picking at the top of the draft to look in Cousin's direction instead of selecting a potential franchise quarterback. This is where the Browns — picking No. 1 and No. 4 overall — come into play.

As has been noted a ton recently, all three of the Vikings' quarterbacks are slated to become free agents. The team seems a bit tepid on guaranteeing veteran Case Keenum about $25 million under the franchise tag. Meanwhile, both Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford have major injury concerns.

With the league's best defense, the Vikings could very well decide that Smith has the ability to lead the team to the Super Bowl after it fell short of that goal with Keenum under center this season.

This scenario would then put three intriguing veteran quarterbacks on the free agent market — creating a tidal wave of a change when it comes to the NFL offseason.

The draft itself could be impacted in a big way with teams seemingly in need of a quarterback looking in another direction now that multiple starter-caliber quarterbacks are looking for new teams. And if Smith were indeed dealt to a squad like Arizona, the draft might turn into one that calls for quarterbacks to be selected at a rapid clip early on — enabling teams like San Francisco and Oakland to grab tremendous value with their picks later in the top 10. Neither team seems to be too far from contention and already have a quarterback. Adding that one elite talent would go a long way.

A potential Smith trade promises to be one of the first moves of March. If so, it will surely change the entire dynamic of the offseason for easily a quarter of the NFL. That makes his situation something to definitely keep an eye on.

BDU #1398613 01/28/18 07:22 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think we will sign crow no matter what we do at qb.

If we go Cousins, barkley becomes the pick at #1 unless someone in the top 15 picks offers us a can't turn down deal to trade. If we don't get barkley there, maybe he is still there at 4. If not, we can draft a back wherever we traded to or grab 1 great back at the top of the 2nd round.

I like Laundy as well. I hope we sign him. Pretty good receiving group right there. I am sure we will also draft a receiver at some point.

I am not a fan of building through free agency. You do that in the draft. Unfortunately, building through the draft is a slow process. No matter how many picks you have, teams miss on a lot of picks. I do like to use FA as a means to fill needs...and when you have a lot of needs, you need to start filling those needs with a 3-4 year fix. That is if you want to win and have a chance. Being able to sign several plug and play FA's to this team isn't going to hurt anything. At minimum I would like to see us sign a receiver and a corner.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
I am not a fan of building through free agency. You do that in the draft. Unfortunately, building through the draft is a slow process. No matter how many picks you have, teams miss on a lot of picks. I do like to use FA as a means to fill needs...and when you have a lot of needs, you need to start filling those needs with a 3-4 year fix. That is if you want to win and have a chance.

I feel like this is the best description of "Sashi's Plan" that I've seen.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
I am not a fan of building through free agency. You do that in the draft. Unfortunately, building through the draft is a slow process. No matter how many picks you have, teams miss on a lot of picks. I do like to use FA as a means to fill needs...and when you have a lot of needs, you need to start filling those needs with a 3-4 year fix. That is if you want to win and have a chance.

Maybe, but we were a little slow in signing FA players, IMO.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Quote:

First year maybe, second year not really, third year....

Legend
Legend
Alex Smith, Sam Darnold/Josh Rosen, Saquon Barkley, Jarvis Landry ... that would be a nice few additions

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think we need to use one of the first 2 picks on a defender.

Drafting fitz would be like getting 2 players in that it would get Peppers near the line where he needs to be. I think he can be a very good blitzer.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
j/c
IMO The main reason we have so many that didn't want to come was the FO cause they saw what a half stupid bunch they were but still had Haslam backing.
Seems that a real football guy like Dorsey just may change things to make it desirable to come here hopefully.....unless they think they cant get W\O then and only then they may consider bring PRYOR back

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Quote:

Now is the time to sign big FAs. The base team is set with young guys, now get a good QB, and fill top needs with top FA candidates. The money is there, and if done right, this team could become very good very fast.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
I think we need to use one of the first 2 picks on a defender.

Drafting fitz would be like getting 2 players in that it would get Peppers near the line where he needs to be. I think he can be a very good blitzer.
I don't disagree with upgrading our secondary (it's awful) ... I was all for Fitzpatrick until I read a stat about his lack of coverage "outside" .. I'll have to try to find it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
I think we're looking at Chase Daniel or A.J. McCarron (if he's unrestricted).

V
Legend
Legend
V
I am not saying we don't want Chase Daniel, but you keep saying that we are looking at him. Why?

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I am not saying we don't want Chase Daniel, but you keep saying that we are looking at him. Why?

Smith's Back Up. Dorsey ties? Veteran Presence.

Would you be Ok with Darnold or Rosen with Daniel's and Kizer? Man, I'd be ecstatic. Not for Daniels, but the Veteran we need with a TOP notch Drafted QB.

Legend
Legend
I'd bet that McCarron becomes a Brown ... it's not what I would want, but I can see it as the likely outcome

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Well, if it is McCarron and the cost isn't high, it doesn't mean we're hitching our wagon to him long term. (I hope!)

There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do.
-Derek Jeter
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Right. The unproven guy will take any chance to prove himself, the proven guy has earned the right to choose.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
JC: I was looking through the list of tackle free agents, and I haven't seen much.

If Joe Thomas retires, I wonder what the plan is. I certainly would prefer to leave Coleman on that right side, but going into the season with Spencer Drango at LT isn't optimal.

It's something to think about. I mean, two bad tackles really ruined the Giants this season this year (with a few other things mixed in of-course, but it started with the tackles)

Unfortunately, I haven't heard much about a tackle being worth much in the draft. Nate Solder might be the top FA target for my list. I dunno if he's actually that good either, but I just don't think Drango is athletic enough to be a starting LT going into a season

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
C
Legend
Legend
C
[quote=Dawgs4Life]I'd bet that McCarron becomes a Brown ... it's not what I would want, but I can see it as the likely outcome [/quote

If he's an unrestricted free agent.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If McCarron becomes our FA QB the bridge may be short to our #1 Pick ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
If he's an unrestricted free agent.

Yup, I'll be real interested in how this goes in February or whatever

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we do sign AJ McCarron, I'll post a link for the new "We're not even trying anymore" t-shirts that I plan on selling.

They'll be pretty popular in the first few weeks of the season.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Are you going to have a parade too?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Some are just setting the stage for future reasons why they'll hate this FO ahead of time.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Some are just setting the stage for future reasons why they'll hate this FO ahead of time.

I doubt anyone will follow the path that you used for Sashi.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Only I didn't. Sashi sealed his own fate. And I don't go around here trashing him.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Cornerbacks
Trumaine Johnson (28)
Malcolm Butler (28)
E.J. Gaines (26)
Kyle Fuller (26)
Prince Amukamara (28)
Vontae Davis (29)
Rashaan Melvin (28)
Patrick Robinson (30)
Phillip Gaines (26)

Safeties
Lamarcus Joyner (27)
Kenny Vaccaro (27)
Eric Reid (26)
Tre Boston (25)
Bradley McDougald (27)

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Only I didn't. Sashi sealed his own fate. And I don't go around here trashing him.

rolleyes

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 2018 Free Agents

Link Copied to Clipboard