Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/...od-culture.html

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas said in a rare public appearance Thursday he’s exhausted with how everyone seems to consider themselves a victim these days.

“At some point, we’re going to be fatigued with everybody being the victim,” Thomas, the second African American to serve on the Supreme Court, said during an on-stage interview at the Library of Congress in Washington.

Thomas, a conservative appointed to the bench in 1990 by President George H.W. Bush, recalled recently being with a young black woman in Kansas who told him, “I’m really tired of having to play the role of being black. I just want to go to school.”

“I just get worn down,” Thomas said.

The justice said his grandfather had a tough life but never considered himself a victim.

“When I was a kid, there were tons of people who were in really bad circumstances,” Thomas said. “My grandfather would not let us wallow in that.”

Thomas added: “He’s my hero. He’s the single greatest human being I’ve ever met. With nine months of education. But he never saw himself as a victim.”

The Daily Caller first drew attention to Thomas’ remarks on victimhood.

During his remarks, Thomas – who faced a bruising confirmation battle when appointed to the high court – lamented the confirmation process for judges, saying it may cause good people to forgo serving. Thomas’s nomination was nearly derailed after facing accusations from a former assistant, Anita Hill, that he sexually harassed her. Thomas denied the allegations.

“I don’t think the process is what it ought to be,” Thomas said. “I think that these are serious jobs, and they should be serious. I don’t think they should become spectacles.”

Thomas said he was confirmed five times in ten years for judicial roles and “it got increasingly worse.”

“This is not the Roman Colosseum,” he said. “We’re not gladiators. And I think we’re going to lose some of our best people who choose not to go through the ordeal. They don’t want to have to fight the lion in order to be a judge or to be in government. And I think it’s our own fault for allowing this to happen.”

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

What a precious little 'broflake' you are, Clarice.
If The Grind is too much for you....

Get [TF] out.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:

Get [TF] out.

saywhat

D
All Pro
All Pro
D
I happen to agree with Thomas. Everybody is a victim. Hell, some people wait 30 yrs then cry victim.

Another thing we've created in this country, passing blame. Who's responsible for the crime? Not the person who committed it.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Get [TF] out.

right. out here sounding like a victim while complaining about the victimhood mentality.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
Quote:

Get [TF] out.

saywhat

saywhat indeed...

Rather disappointing commentary Clem frown

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Quote:

Get [TF] out.

saywhat

saywhat indeed...

I was pleasantly surprised and rather amused. wink Thanks Clem!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: daytnabacker
I happen to agree with Thomas. Everybody is a victim. Hell, some people wait 30 yrs then cry victim.

Another thing we've created in this country, passing blame. Who's responsible for the crime? Not the person who committed it.

You support a man who spends every day crying that people are mean and unfair to him.

M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Quote:

Get [TF] out.

I hope people are more gracious when you hit that age.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: MrTed
Quote:

Get [TF] out.

What graciousness does a disgusting human being like a Thomas merit?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Justice Thomas has a good point. As a society, we've gone too far in the 'everybody is a victim' direction and gotten away from personal responsibility. You are responsible for your own happiness and situation in life. Nobody else is going to do it for you.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

WTF

What has Thomas done to be called a disgusting human being?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Much energy has been spent in recent weeks arguing that Americans, particularly those on the left, need to re-examine how the public responded to the sexual harassment and assault allegations against former president Bill Clinton.

In a piece challenging liberals to reconsider their response to Clinton’s allegations, the Atlantic’s Caitlin Flanagan said:

It was a pattern of behavior; it included an alleged violent assault; the women involved had far more credible evidence than many of the most notorious accusations that have come to light in the past five weeks. But Clinton was not left to the swift and pitiless justice that today’s accused men have experienced. Rather, he was rescued by a surprising force: machine feminism. The movement had by then ossified into a partisan operation, and it was willing — eager — to let this friend of the sisterhood enjoy a little droit de seigneur.

But the allegations against Clinton are not the only claims in the 1990s that some say were handled poorly — and some argue that they are not the most relevant right now either, considering he no longer holds a public office.

There were also sexual harassment allegations in 1991 that involve a man who remains in one of the highest positions of power in the United States: Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.

Anita Hill alleged that Thomas had sexually harassed her when she was in her mid-20s and worked for him at the Department of Education and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Thomas denied the allegations and called the proceedings “a high-tech lynching for uppity blacks.” He was confirmed by the Senate, 52 to 48.

The Daily Beast’s Joy Ann Reid wrote:

Most Americans chose not to believe Hill, who was castigated as a liar, a temptress, and a race-traitor trying to keep a black man off the Supreme Court. Never mind that the American Bar Association had delivered a mixed verdict on whether he was even qualified for a lifetime appointment of such grandeur. I can personally recall knockdown, drag out arguments with black colleagues and relatives who were defending Thomas, and demanding a West Indian gypsy cab driver in the Bronx pull over and let me out of his car after he called Hill a whore.

While some political leaders like former vice president Joe Biden, who chaired the Senate Judiciary Committee at the time of Thomas’s confirmation, have shifted to focusing on believing women in 2017, Hill told The Washington Post that she feels efforts to right past wrongs by Biden have fallen short:

I still don’t think it takes ownership of his role in what happened. And he also doesn’t understand that it wasn’t just that I felt it was not fair. It was that women were looking to the Senate Judiciary Committee and his leadership to really open the way to have these kinds of hearings. They should have been using best practices to show leadership on this issue on behalf of women’s equality. And they did just the opposite.

The image of Hill testifying reminds us of so many of the power imbalances that still exist in our society.

Hill was a 35-year-old black woman from rural Oklahoma.

The committee consisted solely of white men in a higher position of power, many of them significantly older than Hill.

subscribe
The story must be told.
Your subscription supports journalism that matters.
Try 1 month for $1
Race and age are often missing from the current conversation about sexual harassment and assault, despite black women speaking out about sexual predators for years, said Tarana Burke, the creator of the #MeToo movement.

What history has shown us time and again is that if marginalized voices — those of people of color, queer people, disabled people, poor people — aren’t centered in our movements then they tend to become no more than a footnote. I often say that sexual violence knows no race, class or gender, but the response to it does. . . . We can’t afford a racialized, gendered or classist response.

More than a quarter of a century later, the allegations against Thomas are a reminder that despite how much we like to believe society has changed, much has remained the same. But if the country wants to move forward, for some that will require revisiting how Biden, a potential 2020 presidential candidate, and his peers handled a woman’s allegations against a man who sits on our most powerful court.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-...m=.a3a3a3d4b2bf

My mom told me about this guy when I was a teen, and how we have a sexual deviant sitting in the highest court of all the land.

That, on top of the bar association not even sure if the guy was qualified to be on the bench.

Basically, he was a typical trump appointee before people like you decided to actually elect trump.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Quote:

WTF

What has Thomas done to be called a disgusting human being?

Recently? I don't know, but I do remember a long time ago they had these posters plastered all over Sunset Boulevard for something he supposedly said to a woman that I think (?) he worked with:

Legend
Legend
The man was ONCE ACCUSED by Hill that he subjected her to comments of a sexual nature, which she felt constituted sexual harassment or at least "behavior that is unbefitting an individual who will be a member of the Court." He was never charged with any wrongdoing. She never pressed charges, and he was never proved to have done anything wrong YET PDF thinks that means he is a disgusting human being???

I have to disagree.

Legend
Legend
just because someone didn't get charged doesn't mean they should be getting appointed positions, because what he did is still unethical 100%.

again, the bar association didn't even think the dude was qualified to begin with. THEN you add what he did to Hill and its clear that they could've found another judge to put on the bench.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Originally Posted By: PDF
Quote:

Get [TF] out.

About as much graciousness as you Mr. I’ve done things I’m not proud of. Might wanna stable that damn high horse of yours.

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Legend
Legend
Did he do anything more than make a crack about a pubic hair on a Coke can? That's about all I remember the stink being about.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Get [TF] out.

I find it disturbing that I seem to be the only white guy who gets what Clem is saying.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I'm curious what exactly IS he saying .......please explain

Legend
Legend
Quote:
what he did is still unethical 100%.

Just WHAT did he do that was unethical? and why would PDF call him a disgusting human being?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: PDF
Quote:

Get [TF] out.

Ever read your posts?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Riley01
Hes saying that the struggle for equality has been long and hard for black Americans. If it's too much for Clarence to handle, then he can give up whenever he wants.

You may be in the drivers seat but God is holding the map. #GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
exactly my point.

Does he expect us to hear his whine over the millions he's whining about?

P
Legend
Legend
P
"People acting as though they're a victim has made me a victim." Clarence Thomas.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Some of you need to take the Clarence Thomas quiz...

I am a loser because of ____________.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Quote:

Get [TF] out.

saywhat

saywhat indeed...

Mr. Thomas must have turned down his diner invite ... rofl ....

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: kingodawg
Originally Posted By: Riley01
Hes saying that the struggle for equality has been long and hard for black Americans. If it's too much for Clarence to handle, then he can give up whenever he wants.

While what you post is true, and might be what he meant, the 'what a precious little broflake you are, and the 'clarice' part sent a definite bad vibe. JMO.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Mr. Thomas must have turned down his diner invite ... rofl ....

Here's a suggestion: Hold your breath until my invitation arrives.
Enlist someone armed with a plastic bag to help you accomplish this.

By the way:

"n"

I think this belongs to you. You must have dropped it before you hit the 'submit' button.

Legend
Legend
Were you having diner at the all night dinner?

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised and rather amused. wink Thanks Clem!

You're welcome. And thanks back to you.

I wondered if anyone else would get the irony of it all.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

What u tryn 2 say?
(Oh, I forgot to add these: ...)

rofl

He obviously missed My Pops' advice from my teen years:

"If you want to be a successful smartazz, check to make sure you're smart first."

E
Legend
Legend
E
Not really surprising he is complaining about this. He's a judge. His whole entire career is predicated on people who want to convince him they are victims.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

What u tryn 2 say?
(Oh, I forgot to add these: ...)

rofl

He obviously missed My Pops' advice from my teen years:

"If you want to be a successful smartazz, check to make sure you're smart first."

hey hey now, I use those "..." a lot on here. I use those to slow down my typing so the slow readers don't get lost. wink

O
Legend
Legend
O

My dad used to finish it with what you are if you're not smart.

If you're not, you're just an ass, if you're really not, you're a dumbass.

Legend
Legend
You get good advice like that when you aren't raised by a family of Silverbacks...

B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:

Get [TF] out.

I must say I am surprised and disappointed by that comment.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'm sorry you feel that way.
I stand by my statement, however.
Here's why:

Quote:
“I don’t think the process is what it ought to be,” Thomas said. “I think that these are serious jobs, and they should be serious. I don’t think they should become spectacles.”

Quote:
Thomas said he was confirmed five times in ten years for judicial roles and “it got increasingly worse.”

Quote:
“This is not the Roman Colosseum,” he said. “We’re not gladiators. And I think we’re going to lose some of our best people who choose not to go through the ordeal. They don’t want to have to fight the lion in order to be a judge or to be in government. And I think it’s our own fault for allowing this to happen.”

With quotes like these, it's difficult to hear anything but whining in his tone.

After 30 years of playing the role of "Silent Clarence," this is what he chooses to say when a mic is shoved in his face?

People in his position are role models, whether they like it or not. Heck, even schlubbs like me are in role model positions. If a mic is shoved in my face (and it's happened, more than a few times), I'm saying something uplifting and positive. I'm certainly NOT going to whine, complain, and play b#ch with my one opportunity.

He deserves all the ridicule I can heap upon him. I think his Grandfather would be ashamed. He's certainly twice the man his grandson appears to be.
No apologies at this address.
Your mileage may vary.

#missedopportunity

A
Legend
Legend
A

Quote:

With quotes like these, it's difficult to hear anything but whining in his tone.

After 30 years of playing the role of "Silent Clarence," this is what he chooses to say when a mic is shoved in his face?

People in his position are role models, whether they like it or not. Heck, even schlubbs like me are in role model positions. If a mic is shoved in my face (and it's happened, more than a few times), I'm saying something uplifting and positive. I'm certainly NOT going to whine, complain, and play b#ch with my one opportunity.

He deserves all the ridicule I can heap upon him. I think his Grandfather would be ashamed. He's certainly twice the man his grandson appears to be.
No apologies at this address.
Your mileage may vary.

#missedopportunity

Quote:
Quote:

See, I took this statement differently than you?

Were you seeing race in that? Were you seeing 'r vs. d' in that?

I can see, and do see, that statement being true for people of every color, every political persuasion/party.

Fill me in. What am I missing?

B
Legend
Legend
B
I wasn't looking for a apology, nor do I think less of you.

I stand by my statement.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Justice Clarence Thomas says he's 'worn down' with victimhood culture

Link Copied to Clipboard