Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Spencer did do a decent job last year. Maybe with more experience and hopefully some coaching from JT he can become a better LT and it won't be a position of need.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
I think spencer will have to hold the LT spot for another year. Besides he didn't do half bad last year so I don't see it as an urgent need. I mean he aint Joe but then again who is?

You may very well be correct, but I anticipate a heck of a battle for that spot in TC...
Don't count out Hubbard either - Pittburgh loved that kid.

Legend
Legend
QB
LT
WR
CB
RB
DL

That's how I see it right now. There are a lot of new faces to see actually compete, though. It does seem that we have a real solid plan thus far, of doing everything possible to improve our weaknesses.

We added a QB, RB, WR, blocking TE to help whoever takes over at LT, 2 OL, a FS, 2 CB, and a DL. I suspect that we will add another WR before the draft, as well. That is just astonishing. Of these, Hyde, Taylor, Jarvis Jones, Hubbard, Randal, Carrie, and maybe even Mitchell all stand a better than even chance of starting.

We will have improved all of our trouble spots prior to the draft, and I can't wait to see how we attack things in the 1st 2 rounds. laugh

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think Dorsey has done a decent job of addressing needs before the draft, setting the draft up to acquire talent over filling needs. Beyond getting a long term answer at QB, he can now go BPA. That said, positions I'd like to see improved;

QB
WR
CB
LT

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish
For the Browns I believe drafting by need is not the way to go.

It can become a trap. We have to approach this on the basis of improvement.

Get players that improve positions. No matter the position. Is the guy available better that guy we have?

It can get complicated.

But the NFL moto is: get a better player for less

When BPA intersects a real need, great.

Don't reach for need. Get a good player.

This brings up a good point about reach and need. Say you're picking in the second or third round and your draft board has one player in a position you need ranked within the next 30 players (as you have them ranked) but there are other players in other positions ranked higher. Don't you grab the position you need before you grab someone else? They're ranked relatively close, after all, what is the real difference between a guy you have ranked at 36 and one you have ranked at forty-six? Ranking systems are subjective by their nature. Someone else likely has them ranked differently, and how they actually turn out as a player is a completely different story. So you're likely not going to get a shot at him the next time you pick, and you like the player enough to have him ranked within that particular span. You have to pick based on need, don't you?

I think most teams actually pick need/BPA to a degree. No one wants to be seen as reaching, and it's probably more about BPA (according to their board) the deeper into the draft they go. But as far as the board is concerned, garbage in garbage out. I mean, Kessler in the third? Holy Key-Riste.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think that's probably true, a team's biggest needs are usually addressed first. Let me define some prospect tiers.

Tier 1, instant starters, high probability of being stars
Tier 2, likely to start sometime in their rookie years, star potential
Tier 3, potential starters, likely role players, high end projects
Tier 4, role players and projects

There are usually between 5-10 tier 1 players per draft. Tier 2 will usually go to the lower part/end of the 2nd round. The rest of the draft is some combination of tier 3 & 4 players with a few sleepers sprinkled in.

I have heard multiple draft experts say Quentin Nelson is the best player in this draft. But he's a guard, and guard's aren't regarded as top of the draft need, so there's a very real possibility this tier 1 player isn't even picked in the top 10. Similarly, QB is generally seen as the most important position on a team. The best QB's in this draft are probably 2nd tier talents, but we could see 4-5 taken in the top 15 picks.

So I agree, especially about your point that starting around the mid 2nd, the difference between the BPA and the best at your position of need is likely not that great. (This is also the range were the best scouts find diamonds.) I think it's at the top of the draft, down to about mid-2 that the difference between BPA and need is most pronounced.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Eo.... his combine numbers don’t match yours, where did you see them?

6-6 320 5.31 40, 19 on the bench, 23 1/2 vert

Don’t know much else about the guy.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Nelson is a OG Peen...there simply are no starting LTs in this draft...several RTs, a couple of raw talents. I like that kid from Western Mich. Big fast n athletic. Still new to Football (soccer kid from Africa). Good feet, 6'6" 320 n ran 4.86, he has good feet but the knock is he's too nice maybe #64.

QB at #1. We got several DBs taking a need into a goo competition. Us not going for Mathieu sort of makes me feel better about the kid we got for Kizer. Of course we got the draft but Im psyched over some competitions we will have at camp.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
After the FA, our greatest need is OT. Joe's retirement is going to be painful for the Browns, I fear.

Followed by anywhere in the secondary.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think spencer will have to hold the LT spot for another year. Besides he didn't do half bad last year so I don't see it as an urgent need. I mean he aint Joe but then again who is?

You may very well be correct, but I anticipate a heck of a battle for that spot in TC...

I think so too. They might surprise us and draft out of 4 and then take a LT at 12.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

I think so too. They might surprise us and draft out of 4 and then take a LT at 12.

Total WASTE of a pick that high.

I'd be shocked if we have ANY Offensive Lineman not named Nelson in the Top 30.

Dreadful year for OTs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: kwhip

Total WASTE of a pick that high.

I'd be shocked if we have ANY Offensive Lineman not named Nelson in the Top 30.

Dreadful year for OTs.

Agreed. That would be drafting for need, and that is when you reach.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Needs? Good, quality players at all positions. You can never have too much depth.

BPA, all the way!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Greatest Needs After FA?

Link Copied to Clipboard