D
Legend
Legend
D

PDF #1421636 03/15/18 09:58 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PDF
I remember the year before Joe got drafted, everyone on this board wanted Robert Gallery desperately. We didn't get him, and he ended up getting moved to guard his rookie year because he couldn't keep up.

The following year, "look what happened with Gallery" became the refrain. Lot of people wanted Quinn.

Joe is the second guy the Browns ever took that I wanted. The other was Braylon.

Hell of a run, Joe.

IIRC, it was Romeo that wanted JT; Savage wanted someone else...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Joe Thomas was an easy choice for former Browns GM Phil Savage

Updated Mar 14, 3:52 PM; Posted Mar 14, 3:52 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Former Browns GM Phil Savage couldn't have realistically envisioned a Hall-of-Fame career for Joe Thomas when he picked him No. 3 overall in 2007. He even had a fall back plan in case starting him at left tackle didn't work out.

"Honestly, we thought, OK, we'll start him off at left tackle and if it doesn't go well, we'll move him over to right tackle," Savage told cleveland.com in a phone interview last week. "If it doesn't go well over there, we can slide him into guard, so that was one of the reasons why you take a left tackle so high in the draft because you have some fallback insurance in case it doesn't go particularly well."

Needless to say, it went pretty well at left tackle.

"I would absolutely say that Joe exceeded whatever expectation we could have had. We had really good grades on him. We thought he'd be a very solid player, a dependable anchor for us, but to go play 10,000 snaps in a row and make the Pro Bowl virtually every year?" Savage said. "No one predicted that."

Savage really fell for Thomas on what he called the easiest scouting trip he's ever had. Thomas' Wisconsin Badgers played Bowling Green at Cleveland Browns Stadium in 2006. As the process played out, Thomas' performance at the combine and during interviews helped cement what Savage was starting to figure out -- he was the pick.

Of course, by picking a left tackle at No. 3, Savage was putting himself out there. Many Browns fans were convinced that Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson should have been the pick. Savage, though, had locked in on Thomas, recalling a conversation he had with his wife about two weeks before draft day.

"I said, 'You know, unless something crazy happens in these meetings, this is the player we should pick,'" Savage recalled, "and she said, 'Who is it?' I said, 'Joe Thomas from Wisconsin.' She said, 'Who's he?'"

That, as well as any healthy debate within the building, left him undeterred. In fact, his biggest concern come draft day was just making sure Thomas, who declined to attend the draft and instead went fishing, made it to Cleveland in one piece.

"I remember saying, hey, let's make sure we get him on the phone and he's on dry land because I think you know with Browns luck, he's liable to fall overboard and drown," Savage said. "So let's make sure he's on dry land."

Savage didn't get to be directly involved with Thomas' career for long. The Browns went 10-6 in that 2007 season, but following a disappointing 4-12 campaign in 2008 and a now infamous email exchange with a fan, Savage was fired.

He's watched from afar, though, and, thanks to his Sirius XM gig that has sent him to Berea for Browns training camp over the last few years, he's had chances to reconnect. Savage lauded Thomas for his ability to play at a high level, even when the team around him wasn't.

"When you're part of a winning team and you've got a quarterback like a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady and you know you're going to be in it every year, that's one level of motivation," Savage said. "But when you've been in a situation or circumstance where Joe has been and he's continued to stay motivated and continued to stay true to that team and organization and continued to try to get better throughout his career, I think what he's done is a lot harder than what people realize."

Savage said that he was impressed with Thomas' ability to grasp what he can control and to perform to the best of his ability, even in less than ideal circumstances.

"I think it's pretty apparent he'll be a Hall-of-Famer," he said, "and deservedly so and, again, to wake up every day and, again, from season to season have things go downhill like they have at different times, it's an amazing tribute to what he represents as a person and a player."

It's why, in a first round peppered with potential Hall-of-Famers, a left tackle from Wisconsin who played on one team that finished above .500 in his career managed to stand out. It's why Savage's easiest scouting trip turned into a no-brainer seven months later.

"Joe," Savage said, "was a pretty easy choice."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/joe_thomas_was_an_easy_choice.html

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c....

Phil Dawson Verified account
@phil_dawson_4
Pretty good memories with these two guys.

Tweet

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

John Greco: I Think Shon Coleman can move to left tackle for the Browns
https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/john-greco-i-think-shon-coleman-can-move-left-tackle-browns

We'll see if it happens...

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
I wished it showed one with him in his stance/set before snap. It was such a strange looking stance but the way he was able to break out of it and etc was amazing.

I want one that sows him, Annie, and the kids,because that's what's important thumbsup

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

https://923thefan.radio.com/articles/john-greco-i-think-shon-coleman-can-move-left-tackle-browns

PatMcManamon Verified account
@PatMcManamon
Shon Coleman will move from right tackle to left tackle this season, GM John Dorsey said. Dorsey said he was excited to see just retired Joe Thomas in the team’s training facility working with Coleman on techniques at left tackle. “You can see that... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40017726-4

Tweet

Legend
Legend
Dear @Browns fans: At your request, 7/3/18 is officially going to be Joe Thomas Day in the City of #CLE in honor of #Browns great, #73 @joethomas73.

We wish you well on your retirement, sir!

Thanks for representing #CLE well.

https://twitter.com/CityofCleveland/status/974381760783011840

The city of Cleveland proclaimed July 3 as Joe Thomas Day to honor the 10-time Pro Bowler.

The Cleveland Browns left tackle announced his retirement on Wednesday, citing knee and back injuries preventing him from playing at the required level.

On Thursday, Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson signed the proclamation making 7-3 a day to celebrate No. 73.

“Mr. Thomas has remained tirelessly committed to the people of Cleveland and his hard work is to be commended. He was integral part of the Cleveland Browns organization. His many contributions to the Cleveland community are appreciated and his retirement is well-deserved,” the mayor wrote in the resolution.

Thomas played in seven games last season before tearing his left triceps on Oct. 22. Until then, he never missed a snap in his NFL career, playing 10,363 consecutive snaps, which is believed to be the longest in league history.

“From the moment I was drafted, the city embraced me in a way that I could never fully describe. I am proud to call Cleveland home. The loyalty and passion of the fans is unmatched and it was an honor to play in front of them from the past 11 years,” Thomas said in a news release on the Browns website.

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Classy move by the Mayor and Council.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I once said that a part of me would die when Joe Thomas hangs them up. I feel that was an accurate prediction. While I have absolutely no issue w/Joe retiring, I am saddened that he will no longer be part of my favorite team.

I have thought about this for a few days and I have concluded that Joe Thomas is my all-time favorite Brown. I remember championing him before the draft. Most of the board wanted Peterson and others wanted BQ. I was all about Joe Thomas early on. Pit and I used to fight like crazy back then, but I PMed him w/a few scouting reports because Pit always had a keen eye for offensive linemen. He and I championed Joe being drafted by the Browns.

The day Savage chose Joe w/the 3rd overall pick was one of the happiest days I have ever experienced as a Browns fan. I used to get on Savage, who was given the title of "genius" by most of the board all the time, but the day he drafted Joe........I said "Phis Savage is a genius." LOL I remember Toad saying he never saw that side of me before.

Enough of the backdrop. Here is what I will always remember about Joe. He might not have been the most physically imposing player, but he was a true technician. I don't think there is a LT in the history of the NFL who displayed better technique than Joe. He always kept his chest over his thighs. He had great spacing w/his feet. Both of those gave him great balance and that is crucial in pass blocking. Joe wasn't the guy who would get the jaw-dropping pancakes. Joe was the guy who used a great edge rusher's speed against him and ride him well beyond the pocket. Joe was the guy who used superior footwork to mirror the defender. Joe was the guy who was an incredible gap [some call it angle] blocker in the run game. Joe beat you w/his brains, his attention to detail, his obsession w/great technique, his dedication to professionalism, and his work ethic.

All of that is great in and of itself. However, Joe earned more respect because of the type of person he was. He was never a "me" person. Instead, he was a "we" person. Consider this. He embraced the city of Cleveland even though many scorned the pick because they wanted AD or BQ. He was always willing to help his teammates. He always put the team before himself. He was as loyal as any player I have ever witnessed in the modern era.

Stop and think about that for a moment. Loyalty. Who displays that character trait in professional sports anymore? Joe consistently stated that he didn't want to leave Cleveland. He didn't chase the money. He didn't ask to be traded. In fact, he said he did not want to be traded. He said he wanted to finish his career in Cleveland. He said he wanted to bring the city a championship. Who the hell does that these days? I believe that loyalty is very high on the character trait totem pole and no one was more loyal than Joe!

I do have a couple of regrets. The first is that I really wish that Joe could have experienced winning. I so wanted him to be part of a playoff team. A championship team. I wanted it more for him than myself as a fan. I also hate to see his last play in the NFL be a play in which he was injured. This iron man's last play was an injury. That is so cosmically unfair. If anyone deserved to go out on top, it was Joe "Freaking" Thomas!

I don't want to end on that note. Instead, I will end with Joe saying that the NFL took a toll on his body and he couldn't compete on the level he wants to. LOL Joe. Even when you weren't at your best, you were still the best in the damn game. Joe, you were/are the ultimate professional. I'm glad that you are able to step away from the game on your [and your wife's] terms. I'm glad that you will still be in the public eye and I am certain that you will bring the same level of expertise and professionalism to your new career as you did to your football career.

A career that cemented you as the greatest LT in the history of the NFL and in my mind, the greatest Brown of all-time.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Vers... thank you for sharing this. It's perfect!

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks super.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
The day Savage chose Joe w/the 3rd overall pick was one of the happiest days I have ever experienced as a Browns fan. I used to get on Savage, who was given the title of "genius" by most of the board all the time, but the day he drafted Joe........I said "Phis Savage is a genius." LOL I remember Toad saying he never saw that side of me before.

lol, the day we drafted Joe Thomas I was in my buddies room in college (roommates: Jimbo & Klug), drinking busch light and smoking something i can't anymore, and I remember falling to my knees and saying "Thank God!!!!". It was the party weeekend (weekend before the week before finals)

We needed a LT so badly. We thought that was the key to all our success.

Unfortunatley it wasn't. It was just a part of it.

But Joe Thomas was great. He held up his end of the deal. Unfortunately, we couldn't hold up ours

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

PatMcManamon Verified account
@PatMcManamon
Shon Coleman will move from right tackle to left tackle this season, GM John Dorsey said. Dorsey said he was excited to see just retired Joe Thomas in the team’s training facility working with Coleman on techniques at left tackle. “You can see that... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-40017726-4

Tweet

This is awesome. I really like Shon Coleman, so it'll be interesting to watch his development moving forward. Last year was his first year as a starter - he only had one game under his belt prior - so I think it's easy to overlook that he's another of our young players who'll be better for his experience.

I'm guessing this means Chris Hubbard is a lock for the RT spot, although I won't be surprised if Dorsey adds some development depth in the draft behind both.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Nice words, vers.
Before our last game in Houston in 2006, I wanted to lose in Houston because I wanted to draft Joe Thomas. I remember telling a friend of mine: he's no ordinary Joe.
Christ, the only Senor Bowl I've ever watched was his.
He, Garrett and Rosen are the only playes I wanted at the top.

I wish we could have got him the playoffs.

Last edited by lampdogg; 03/15/18 10:54 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
where's the party at in Canton in five years.... our plans are already made to be there.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Legend
Legend
We'll have our first HOF'r soon.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
D
Legend
Legend
D
I love that he still has a locker, a FOB and a seat on the plane. We are clearly trying to get him to remain engaged here. Plus as said, he's already helping Coleman.

JT is just great. There's no other way of putting it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
First HOF'er ???

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
First HOF'er ???

I'm sure he meant post 1999.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Quote:
I once said that a part of me would die when Joe Thomas hangs them up.

Me too, he was simply perfect (person/player), saddens me to see him go..

Make no mistake though JT will always be a part of the Browns, how could it EVER be otherwise?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Great post, Vers!

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Great post, Vers!

#gmstrong
M
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M
Damn Vers, this needs to end up in front of Joe somehow.

Way to give a guy a well deserved send off man!

WE DON'T NEED A QB BEFORE WE GET A LINE THAT CAN PROTECT HIM
my two cents...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Great post Vers, this one should be saved in the archives. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Cleveland Browns
‏
Verified account

@Browns
2h2 hours ago
More
.@joethomas73 will hold his official retirement press conference today at approx. 3:30 p.m.

We'll be streaming it live on here, our Facebook and http://ClevelandBrowns.com

#ThankYou73

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Not sure I'll be able to catch live, but I will for sure get this tonight. I assume official website will have it posted soon after it completes.

Something tells me it'll be sad mixed with humor and a lot of various emotions.

Legend
Legend
Seems odd. He's already retired. Everyone knows why he retired. What's the point of a press conference?

#GMSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Seems odd. He's already retired. Everyone knows why he retired. What's the point of a press conference?

When you're the only bright light an organization has had in years, years and more years - you'll get the royal treatment. a "podcast" isn't really an "official" event either. I'm sure Tony Grossi and Mary Kay have their last bit of beyond idiotic questions their dying to ask.

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 03/19/18 02:03 PM. Reason: additional info
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

When you're the only bright light an organization has had in years, years and more years - you'll get the royal treatment. a "podcast" isn't really an "official" event either. I'm sure Tony Grossi and Mary Kay have their last bit of beyond idiotic questions their dying to ask.

I'm not sure subjecting yourself to Mary Kay and Grossi qualify as "the royal treatment", I'd bet his arm injury was less painful than their questions.

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
MKC's questions will either be about QBs, or quarterbacks.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

It's a media event. Pictures can be taken, hands can be shaken, tears can be shed, etc.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
MKC's questions will either be about QBs, or quarterbacks.

Oops, I should of looked at that cartoon qb pic closer

edit

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 03/19/18 02:34 PM.

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA, RGIII is in a cast and has crutches. Pretty much sums it up, though hahahahhahahahahaha.

*EDIT* dang that part of that pic was funny, but yeah I understand the edit...

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 03/19/18 02:35 PM.
A
Legend
Legend
A
I get the humor there. Anyway you can edit it so it doesn't get deleted?

Legend
Legend
I could only find one solo shot.

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
http://fox8.com/2018/03/19/past-and-present-browns-reflect-on-joe-thomas-and-his-career/

“I know I have definitely always looked up to you. You’re an incredible player and even better person. Seeing even at a young age, you were always the super professional guy, always doing the right work, really helped me become a great player,” said Alex Mack, Browns center from 2009 to 2015.

“It’s easy to be a leader with words, but Joe’s the type of guy that went out on the field and led with his actions,” said Cribbs, who recently returned to the Browns as a special teams intern.

“Playing with Joe Thomas was great because every time you came onto the field, you knew two things were going to happen. You knew you were going to have fun. Joe was always smiling. And he’s going to be at the top of his game,” said McCown, former Cleveland quarterback. “My favorite memories of Joe are watching him work with young guys, taking a younger lineman aside and working on the details of playing the position.”

“Joe, playing with you was an absolute honor. ” Dawson said. Dawson played for the Browns from 1999 to 2012 and went to a Pro Bowl with Thomas. “You’re one of those guys I take pride in telling my children I got to play with you.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Holy smokes am I dying laughing at Joe Thomas's retirement press conference.

Came out with the jokes!

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
has any other HoF'er played with such a bad array of head coaches and GMS in his career?
maybe OJ Simpson ?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
has any other HoF'er played with such a bad array of head coaches and GMS in his career?
maybe OJ Simpson ?

Yeah but O.J. had the cut and run down pat!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Thomas retires

Link Copied to Clipboard