Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
a couple of random intersections in my thoughts on the subject

As a Dodger fan I shared concern but mainly interest when depodesta was hired - I thought the internal workings and modernization of the Dodger organization was better for his time but his time was incomplete.

based on the value the browns have been receiving on their player moves, the professionalism of the organization (we are still digging out of that hole and our owner doesn't help) --- but based on a basic assessment, our organization is better with depodesta

Depodesta is strategy - not analytics, not player evaluations (his comments on wentz should have stayed in his head).

Organization seems to get stronger annually - I wouldn't be opposed to Depodesta getting any of Jimmy's responsibilities (is our owner our weakest link?)

Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
They seem to be making smart moves without selling the farm I hope it continues and we see the positive results on the field. Interested in seeing how the new O and how the D looks with the new additions may be Peepers closer to the line.

Legend
Legend
One of these guys was doing calculus, or trying to do so, and read some tea leaves. Hue brought some of his grief on himself by insisting on Kizer despite performance and with marginal improvement. Hue was playing sudoku at best.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Analytics are a useful tool. If you are in control of a roster that goes 1 and 31, analytics will tell you that you should be fired.

And it worked. thumbsup

Hahaha

And he told me I hijacked the thread. LOL

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Yes ddub and I were having an actual discussion about our beliefs on how much the former FO used analytics verses how much we think the new one will.

I know it's very disruptive when people have rational discussions without others coming in and trashing it up. And people wonder why we can't have nice things anymore.

And I think that neither you nor ddub are correct. Here is why.

From day one Sashi had a plan and that plan you ma ask was what?

A: Tank

To that end he was successful, he aimed low and hit his mark. He was no fool either the steps he took to insure that we tanked were obvious.

I said going into last season I thought he let Haden go to insure we would lose, and guess what we did just that. He wasn't about to take a chance that our defense would be good enough to win a game or games. Everyone in this league would hope to employ Corners with Joe's ability and we let him go. Its impossible IMO not to take that single move and see what it was all about.

He put a QB room together made up of guys who had never won so much as a game. But here IMO is the kicker I think Sashi would have been fine with the Browns winning games last year but not because of the defense.

What does that mean? Well if we won it was going to be because DK played better then expected, anything short of that and we lose.

To sum up I think Sashi was very good at evaluating talent and more importantly he understood how to sabotage a roster enough to insure they lose. He had a plan and it played out just like he wanted it too.

I know that there are likely many who won't agree and thats fine but I am totally convinced I am 100% on this.

Sashi was no fool he worked his plan, as painful as it was to watch I think it worked.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
Yes ddub and I were having an actual discussion about our beliefs on how much the former FO used analytics verses how much we think the new one will.

And I think that neither you nor ddub are correct.

How dare you.

That couldn't have been his ultimate end-all goal. So what do you think his end goal was and how does tanking accomplish that?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

How dare you.

That couldn't have been his ultimate end-all goal. So what do you think his end goal was and how does tanking accomplish that?

He stockpiled picks and cap space and would be the one using them right now instead of Dorsey.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Don't you find it annoying when you have to point out the obvious to a dufus who completely overlooks it? lol

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Don't you find it annoying when you have to point out the obvious to a dufus who completely overlooks it? lol

That isn't so obvious to a lot of people.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

How dare you.

He stockpiled picks and cap space and would be the one using them right now instead of Dorsey.
I do think that tanking was the plan, but I also believe the intent was to build a war chest to attract the best GM and let him to the picking. In 2016, with the state of the team at that point, no GM worth his salt would come near the Browns. Sachi stripped the team down to the studs, added a good (well, decent but young) foundation, and built a collection of cap space and draft picks that would make any GM drool.

I think he went too far in some areas, and that resulted in his being fired. But I think the plan was to hire a true GM in 2018 all along.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
V
Legend
Legend
V
I'd love to comment on the plan, but I am so sick of the BS fighting on here. Maybe I'll pm you.

Legend
Legend
I'd love to comment on the plan, but I am so sick of the BS fighting on here. Maybe I'll pm you.

You needed to make a post to tell Dub you’ll pm him? Why not just pm him?

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
If you were a thinking man, you could figure it out w/out me telling you, just as I can figure out why chose to question my post.

Neither is hard to figure out.

Legend
Legend
If you were a thinking man, you could figure it out w/out me telling you, just as I can figure out why chose to question my post.

Neither is hard to figure out.

Yet the ridiculousness continues...

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

You needed to make a post to tell Dub you’ll pm him? Why not just pm him?

Where's the drama in that?

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Huh? The plan wasn't to lose. That is ludicrous, but even if it was the plan he'd still be here, wouldn't he?

The things Sashi did the past two seasons will forever be underappreciated and completely misunderstood.

Sashi had his faults, but he did a lot more good than bad for this franchise.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Huh? The plan wasn't to lose. That is ludicrous, but even if it was the plan he'd still be here, wouldn't he?

The things Sashi did the past two seasons will forever be underappreciated and completely misunderstood.

he turned us into a expansion team in 1 year... whats to misunderstand?

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: pblack18707

What Sashi did was TORTURE ... it was PURE HELL ... no doubt it really STUNK ....

But he did not turn us into an expansion team ... expansion teams dont have the talent on them we did ast year ... u cant deny ... Ogbah, Kirksey, Collins, Shelton, MG, Zietler, Trettier, Bitino, Joe and Gordon and some with potential .. they dont have the 1st and 4th picks and 5 in the first 64 ... they dont have the ability to trade for Jarvis Landry or Tyrod Taylor or make many of the other moves we made ....

Sashi’s big mistake was no QB .. if we made the TT trade last year I think we would have won 4 - 6 games last year .... then Sashi would still be here ... and THANK GOD HES NOT ...

As bad as it was ... ITS OVER NOW .... can we please move on and ENJOY TODAY ..... thumbsup

Thanks and GOOD BYE SASHI ......

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

The goal wasn't to lose, it wasn't to have the #1 overall pick. But there are always going to be those who want to believe that narrative.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

The goal wasn't to lose, it wasn't to have the #1 overall pick. But there are always going to be those who want to believe that narrative.

when you get rid of all but 4 starters and 4 backup players in 1 year... fill the roster with draft and undrafted players... pretty much has the makeup of a expansion team no matter how you suger coat it.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
E
Legend
Legend
E
It wasn't tanking per say. Nobody tanks, nobody wants to go 1-31, that was never the "PLAN".

What his plan was an I totally agreed with it was to enact a TOTAL REBUILD something none of the new regimes committed to. Only sign young FAs as a rule unless there is a need (unfortunately that was WR). But we got rid of a lot of average vets.

He also wanted to stockpile and if you note our first season 2016 we had a record 19 rookies on our roster.

The BUILD UP was to start peaking year 3. We build an incredible amount of Cap Room. We stockpiled on draft picks valuable ones in 2017 and 2018. 3 first round picks a 2nd and the first pick of the 3rd round in Larry.

This year we got #1, 4, 33, 35 and 64.

We entered the FA period with over 110 mil.

This is year 3. Yeah I probably trust Dorsey a tad more than Sashi at this part of our build up. He even is still incorporating Analytics into the process.

Sashi did a good job in tearing down this team like nobody did before and stock piling draft picks. But never was the object to tank. It just never was to be competitive as we stripped ourselves to the bone.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab
It wasn't tanking ... 1-31, that was never the "PLAN".

Agreed. The record was simply an unfortunate and unforseen by-product of The Plan...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: eotab
It wasn't tanking ... 1-31, that was never the "PLAN".

Agreed. The record was simply an unfortunate and unforseen by-product of The Plan...

I disagree ... the record was directly correlated to the qb room ...

If we have a qb we win 4 - 6 games ... Sashi did not understand the value of veterans .... that was clear .... but NO QB is why we went winless and its what cost him his job ...

I always said it was a good plan that the execution was the key .... well if sashi would have executed getting a QB here last year he’d still be here ... and i don’t think any of us that have a clue want that .... wink ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have hard time believing anyone at this juncture wouldn't see it as tanking.

As odd as it is we are now witnessing an influx of veterans and its a big part of the reason many of us believe the push is now on to win.

I am not faulting Sashi for what he did, I said it from the beginning while many of you denied it even bet with me in some cases and it turned out I wasn't just right but dead right.

We had a core of good solid players prior to the dismantling, and now over the course of the past few weeks we are balancing out the youth with vets, but here IMO is the kicker while some of the vets we are bringing in are noticeably worse then the young talent we kicked to the curb a few years back. Yet we see hope in balance, or I do anyway! WHY?

There isn't a coach in the NFL that doesn't place value on vet leadership and knowing how to win at this level. We cut all of that out. So if the plan as you say wasn't to tank it sure as hell looks like it.

Any objective individual that is capable of separating themselves from being a fan for a moment would IMO easily reach the same conclusion. In fact it was widely written about heading into last season by the national press.

SMH can't believe anyone would deny something so obvious.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sure Vambo. You can have the last word. I mean that's what it's all about for you, right?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I didn't buy into tanking as the plan. But I was questioning what Bad to the Bone was getting at when he claimed that was the plan. I asked, why tank?, and Dep suggested that it was to stockpile picks and money to make a big push this season. That should have been obvious to me that that was the goal in tanking, but it wasn't.

I don't think anyone tanks, at least not to the point of an 0-16 season and surely not the plan at the beginning of the season. At the end of the season, having won only a few games and already slotted to the #1 draft spot, maybe a team doesn't want to lose that slot so they play the youngsters to "see what they got". But that would be at the end of the season with a result already in sight, like the Colts and their "Suck for Luck" campaign.

I admit that having a QB room with no NFL wins was certainly not conductive to winning. There should have been a vet/bridge to start the season, at least that. He left the QB room with the blind leading the blind. That was a big mistake. But it makes sense if he was as afraid to decide on a vet the same as he was afraid on a draft pick QB.

You see, I surmise that since picking a QB was such a huge, HUGE, HUGE decision that that's where he folded in fear of making a mistake.

I think his biggest mistake was not taking a QB period. What would make this offseason so special? It's not like we weren't at the top of the draft before like we are now. We had pick #2 and traded out, afraid to take Wentz, (who I didn't want, but do now... lol).

And then we had pick #1 and #12 but did nothing toward a QB. I totally wanted Garrett and we got him. But we still had pick #12 and could have moved up or had taken Watson, (whom I didn't want, and still don't). But still.

I think Sashi was afraid to pull the trigger on a QB. Regardless of whatever Hue's input may or may not have been, it was Sashi's job to get a QB for us and he failed terribly. I think he didn't know how to evaluate one and so was also unsure what to think of any of the input he got from others. Had he been otherwise he would have made a pick instead of always pushing the decision off to the next year... and then the next.

Who knows what he would have done this year if given the chance. His time for avoiding the decision was over.

I think Haslem was hesitant to wait and see how Sashi would react this time, (Pull a name out of a hat? Ask a homeless guy?). So he went and got a GM with experience to make the QB pick. Dorsey might not get it right either, but he dang sure won't hesitate to pull the trigger.

I just realized this should have been in the "Thanks Sashi" thread but I'm going to hit submit anyw

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think he had a QB in mind and that QB was in this QB heavy draft. Getting a QB without much of a team around him might have got us a few more wins last year but wasn't going to help us long term. (especially if we didn't like that QB long term)

Hue not tripping over a few wins didn't help the matter and when Hue decided to recruit his daughter and o-line coach into his "him or me" stance to force Jimmy's hand, Jimmy had to make a choice.

Hue earned being fired himself, but firing another coach would mean starting over yet again with a new coaches scheme. I don't think Jimmy wanted to make any changes at all this season, but when forced, he decided to plug a different GM into the existing front office and neuter the head coach a bit that cost him a few wins last year.

The QB situation may have been a deciding factor for the fans, but I am pretty certain that Jimmy was both informed and in agreement with the thought process used to form our QB group last year. I don't think he fired Sashi for the QB, I think he fired Sashi because of the ultimatum.

P
Legend
Legend
P
People never speak for themselves. They must be recruited to have an opinion.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
Hue not tripping over a few wins didn't help the matter and when Hue decided to recruit his daughter and o-line coach into his "him or me" stance to force Jimmy's hand, Jimmy had to make a choice.

That's your take, but you don't know if it's true. My take is that both were fed up w/Sashi's constant BS and spoke up out of frustration.

The difference between us is that I will say my take is an opinion while you state yours as a fact.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Is that a thread hijacK? LOL

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I thought real football guys would never be caught dead with that hussy Anna Lytics.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
We had a core of good solid players prior to the dismantling, and now over the course of the past few weeks we are balancing out the youth with vets, but here IMO is the kicker while some of the vets we are bringing in are noticeably worse then the young talent we kicked to the curb a few years back. Yet we see hope in balance, or I do anyway! WHY?

No we didn't. I really don't understand this take. A lot of the guys on that 2015 team aren't even in the NFL any more.

I don't think Browns fans realize how bad things were. I know I didn't. I can think of a couple players we "let get away" but nothing that resembles a "core of good solid players."

We were bad. Very bad. I don't agree that your take was correct or even "dead right" as you claim.

There is a lot of made up b.s. I think if you read the articles, listen to what the organization was saying, it's easy to see what they were trying to do. And it wasn't tanking.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I disagree ... the record was directly correlated to the qb room

1-31 was never the plan...I cannot repeat it often enough I guess. You can draw up all the correlations you want.

Pure and simple 1-31 gets you FIRED...I'm sure Sashi's plan was to get fired. I'm sure Hue's plan was to get fired.

Nobody was trying to go as low to the bottom as 1-31.

Its a miracle the how kit and kaboodle wasn't blown up!

Smh...Yep, any GM and HC would make a plan to be 1-31. The plan was to do a complete rebuild and know that the Won Loss record was not going to be a good one. But nobody NOBODY thought it would be as bad as 1-31. To say that was a plan is just wrong.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Why u blasting me with this? ... I NEVER SAID that was the plan ... i said the FAULT with what sashi did was NOT GETTING A QB ... if he got a QB we would have won 4 - 6 games last year ... and Sashi is still here ... how do U CORRELATE that to me saying the plan was to tank ... THATS BS ....

WTF ... your as bad as your buddy Vers ... either that or u need to learn how to type in ..... j/c ....

PLEASE RESPOND to the folks that your RESPONSE IS APPROPRIATTE FOR ... thats clearly NOT ME FOR THIS POST ....

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Is that a thread hijacK? LOL

He even put a like on Deputy's highjack! lmao

I guess it's really not about high jacking the thread at all. It's all dependent on who you are and what you say when it gets high jacked.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think losing was the plan, I think losing was a the foreseeable byproduct of the plan. It might be a poor analogy, but the soldier who jumps on the grenade to save his buddies didn't plan to die, it was the foreseeable byproduct of saving his buddies.

The Browns plan was to strip down the team, rebuild a solid foundation while building salary cap and draft capital. They did that knowing there would be a lot of losing, and they accepted that as a consequence. It wasn't the goal.

(edit - sorry, I was typing while ya'll were trying to get the thread back on track. My bad.)

Last edited by W84NxtYrAgain; 03/26/18 01:52 PM.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How am I supposed to have any confidence in a man that can't even dress himself? This guy looks like he just lost 100lbs.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Haus

Ah, his dress uniform.

wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Haus

Ah yes, but Bill didn't even show up for this photo!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum John Dorsey's Cleveland Browns making use of analytics after all

Link Copied to Clipboard