Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yep....legalizing weed does little for deviants and thiefs....haha.

The most disturbing thing is that is not a one time incident like Brantley appeared to be, but a pattern. Again I hope he turns it around, but I would not have drafted him, and if I did it would be the 6th/7th round certainly not the 4th. People are acting like a high end 4th round pick is meaningless....they are not.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I would never had made this pick... cards are dealt now though. Best luck to him.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PDF

The only differing story comes from the police, who claimed he punched, not shoved her.

To be clear, this is from a police report. The complainant tells the policeman what happened, the policeman writes it down in a report, and the report gets filed. So, in essence, the police report is simply the claims of the complainant at the time of the report. These often turn out to be false claims.

You make it sound like the police did an investigation and determined that Brantley punched her despite what the attorneys discovered. It's a misdemeanor, so no detectives did any kind of follow up, that was all done by attorneys.

There was video of the incident, and my understanding is that once the video was reviewed, Brantley's version of the events were proven to be the truth; woman punched him, he shoved her.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Back to Antonio Calloway. It sounds like he has great talent but has serious red flags. HE SAYS that's all behind him. Sounds a lot like Josh Gordon. The mechanisms for support are in place, both because they're in place for Gordon, and Gordon himself. It's a gamble, but a pretty good one in my opinion. If he stays on the path, he could be a great pick. If he doesn't, it was a 4th rounder.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
M
Legend
Legend
M
The press conference after this pick was made was absolutely dreadful.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
The press conference after this pick was made was absolutely dreadful.
could you summarize?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-cen...33-5566255503d7

In short, I didn't buy anything Dorsey was selling on the justification of the pick and kept repeating the same stuff over and over. Finally, there were some media folks starting to ask tougher questions.

We'll see what happens moving forward.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Back to Antonio Calloway. It sounds like he has great talent but has serious red flags. HE SAYS that's all behind him. Sounds a lot like Josh Gordon. The mechanisms for support are in place, both because they're in place for Gordon, and Gordon himself. It's a gamble, but a pretty good one in my opinion. If he stays on the path, he could be a great pick. If he doesn't, it was a 4th rounder.

I agree 100%. He also won't have too much pressure on him to produce immediately which I think is a good thing.

Gordon, Landry, Coleman, and Callaway are a pretty talented WR group.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

The only differing story comes from the police, who claimed he punched, not shoved her.

To be clear, this is from a police report. The complainant tells the policeman what happened, the policeman writes it down in a report, and the report gets filed. So, in essence, the police report is simply the claims of the complainant at the time of the report. These often turn out to be false claims.

You make it sound like the police did an investigation and determined that Brantley punched her despite what the attorneys discovered. It's a misdemeanor, so no detectives did any kind of follow up, that was all done by attorneys.

There was video of the incident, and my understanding is that once the video was reviewed, Brantley's version of the events were proven to be the truth; woman punched him, he shoved her.

So a 300 pound man shoved a 120 pound woman to the ground, knocking out a tooth and knocking her unconscious - he admits this, his attorney admits this, and the state admits this...and this man is a victim of false accusations?

This is really the argument you want to make here?

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P

In short, I didn't buy anything Dorsey was selling on the justification of the pick and kept repeating the same stuff over and over. Finally, there were some media folks starting to ask tougher questions.

I saw the conference too. Dorsey had canned answers. He is judged on wins and losses, so a player's character does not matter. He can sit up there and lie all he wants. Next thing you know our locker room will be a mess.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Next thing you know our locker room will be a mess.

I'm not going there. I just wasn't impressed with how he addressed it. I found it comical when he said people went to Gainesville... as if jumping on a place to campuses was something new and was reason enough to draft him.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
We did all our "vetting" at the Gainesville police station.

D
Legend
Legend
D

So a 300 pound man shoved a 120 pound woman to the ground, knocking out a tooth and knocking her unconscious - he admits this, his attorney admits this, and the state admits this...and this man is a victim of false accusations?

To be fair, you did say this in an earlier post:

Quote:
Brantley punched a woman in the mouth and knocked out one of her teeth and knocked her unconscious.

That's a totally different thing than "shoving" someone who's attacking you. Was he supposed to just stand there and let her slap him, punch him, or scratch his eyes out? Being 300 pounds doesn't mean you forfeit your right to self defense.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You seem to be ignoring the key element of the encounter, she attacked him.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

You are ignoring the key element of the encounter, she attacked him.

Ah, yes, the reputable "she hit me first" defense.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

That's not what either of us are saying. We are saying your account of what happened is false.

I am not saying he is a victim nor do I endorse how he handled the situation. I am simply trying to make the point that condemning an athlete's future based on an accusation is dubious at best.

Your response to my initial post validates my original point further.

P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
That's not what either of us are saying. We are saying your account of what happened is false.

Then you are both incorrect.

Caleb Brantley, a 300 pound man, openly admitted that he knocked a 120 pound woman unconscious. He does not dispute this. His lawyer doesn't dispute this. The state doesn't dispute this. All parties involved have acknowledged that he knocked her unconscious. His defense was Florida's "Stand Your Ground" statute.

He absolutely is not the victim of false accusations. Period.

Quote:
I am not saying he is a victim nor do I endorse how he handled the situation.

You quite literally listed him as your first example of victims of false accusations.

P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Anybody remember the show "COPS"?

Like every other episode, they'd show up with some bloodied woman crying and some guy with a mullet standing there yelling "she hit me first, dude" before the cop was even out of their car.

I can't believe there's actually "well, she hit him first" arguments happening on DT in 2018.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You are ignoring the key element of the encounter, she attacked him.

Ah, yes, the reputable "she hit me first" defense.
When it's supported by video evidence, yes.

Let me ask you, why is this so important to you? You are sound like you formed your opinion of the incident after the first reports and refuse to acknowledge that the later evidence doesn't support your opinion. When I first heard the reports, I didn't want anything to do with Brantley. But when the full story came out, I changed my opinion.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
Let me ask you, why is this so important to you?

My father used to beat my mother, and he was, like Brantley, twice her size. Whenever the cops showed up, he'd go with "she hit me first", and the cops would believe him, despite the split lip and bruises.

Beyond that, the Browns are kind of a pure and fun thing for me, and I don't really like it when we bring scumbags on board.

Let me ask you something - after reading into the situation, and discovering that Brantley did indeed knock unconscious a woman half his size, why did you change your mind about the incident?

Is there a particular threshold where you feel a man is justified in knocking out a woman half his size? If she starts slapping and punching, do you feel she should be knocked out cold?

I don't know about the rest of the country, but where I grew up and lived in my life "never hit a woman under any circumstances" is a pretty reasonable and decent way to live through life that 99.999% of men have no problem adhering to.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Like every other episode, they'd show up with some bloodied woman crying and some guy with a mullet standing there yelling "she hit me first, dude" before the cop was even out of their car.

I can't believe there's actually "well, she hit him first" arguments happening on DT in 2018.
And after a 20 year career as a police officer, I know from personal experience that not every claim to the police is truthful. We call them 'he said, she said.' Quite often the person who started the fight, lost the fight. Do we then make our determinations of what happened based on the outcome? No. We listen to what she says, what he says, and do our best to reconstruct what happened based on the totality of the circumstances. Video tape is a huge asset to that end. The video showed that she punched him, and he shoved her away. It's possible that as a result of him shoving her, she lost her balance and face planted into the floor. It's still the end result of her actions.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

My father used to beat my mother, and he was, like Brantley, twice her size. Whenever the cops showed up, he'd go with "she hit me first", and the cops would believe him, despite the split lip and bruises.

Beyond that, the Browns are kind of a pure and fun thing for me, and I don't really like it when we bring scumbags on board.

Let me ask you something - after reading into the situation, and discovering that Brantley did indeed knock unconscious a woman half his size, why did you change your mind about the incident?

Is there a particular threshold where you feel a man is justified in knocking out a woman half his size? If she starts slapping and punching, do you feel she should be knocked out cold?

I don't know about the rest of the country, but where I grew up and lived in my life "never hit a woman under any circumstances" is a pretty reasonable and decent way to live through life that 99.999% of men have no problem adhering to.

Do women have equal rights? If so, then if they make the decision to punch a man then they have to man up and take whatever retaliation that man decides to do. They can not have it both ways.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Day of the Dawg
Do women have equal rights? If so, then if they make the decision to punch a man then they have to man up and take whatever retaliation that man decides to do. They can not have it both ways.

Jesus Christ.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

So.....Antonio Callaway......

Tackles are tackles.
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c:

Seems to me to be a guy who should've been off our boards, given our organization's recent turmoil with character and substance abuse issues.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

That is a traumatic past, and I can see why you find it difficult to absolve Brantley. You say he admitted to knocking her out. I think that is almost right, but not quite. He admitted to shoving her. Shoving her is a reasonable way to react to a random woman in a bar punching you. If she lost her balance and was knocked out when she hit the floor, that is not the same as him striking a blow that knocked her out.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Seems to me to be a guy who should've been off our boards, given our organization's recent turmoil with character and substance abuse issues.

Yes, perhaps. However, I don't think this approach will change as long as Dorsey is still calling the shots. There is enough evidence to show that he'll take on troubled players in various forms /fashions.

Tackles are tackles.
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
j/c:

Yes, perhaps. However, I don't think this approach will change as long as Dorsey is still calling the shots. There is enough evidence to show that he'll take on troubled players in various forms /fashions.

I think there's merit in taking on troubled players if you have a well-oiled system that will demand accountability.

Belichick can pull it off, because he's earned his status as an ultimate authority who can show off a well-oiled machine and why it demands a no nonsense approach.

I don't think we're there yet as an organization. I'd actually argue we're the poster child for an organization who absolutely has no business taking those deeper risks at the current juncture.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I hate the pick, because I don't like the gamble and have made that clear.

However, I am not willing to accuse Dorsey of trashing the locker room because of the guy. First lets see if he screws up, and if he does how we handle it.

Organizations who have had trouble in the past (90s Cowboys, Bengals) did not hold players accountable for screwing up. You pull any crap and the Pats find out about it your gone.....big difference.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
Legend
Legend
That is B.S..

Unless there is a weapon.

If if is a normal man and women with the usual difference in size and strength a real man would just stop her from attacking him. Basically subduing her.

There is not justification for assault.

You punch a woman out your a coward.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: pfm1963

I saw the conference too. Dorsey had canned answers. He is judged on wins and losses, so a player's character does not matter. He can sit up there and lie all he wants. Next thing you know our locker room will be a mess.

We now have a football guy....

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: pfm1963

We now have a football guy....

The last "football guy" GM was Ray Farmer, who argued Johnny Manziel "just wins".

P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

And after a 20 year career as a police officer, I know from personal experience that not every claim to the police is truthful. We call them 'he said, she said.' Quite often the person who started the fight, lost the fight. Do we then make our determinations of what happened based on the outcome? No. We listen to what she says, what he says, and do our best to reconstruct what happened based on the totality of the circumstances. Video tape is a huge asset to that end. The video showed that she punched him, and he shoved her away. It's possible that as a result of him shoving her, she lost her balance and face planted into the floor. It's still the end result of her actions.

If you're 6'2 and 300 pounds, and you violently knock out a 120 pound woman, and she didn't have a weapon, you're a scumbag.

I really don't care "what started it".

Again, I want to re-iterate how insane this line of argument is.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

If you're 6'2 and 300 pounds, and you violently knock out a 120 pound woman, and she didn't have a weapon, you're a scumbag.

I agree. It's too bad that's not exactly what happened.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/b...rantley/2324230

In a press release, prosecutors said Austin and witnesses who testified on her behalf had been drinking that night and provided contradictory testimony. Austin first denied being assaulted, then couldn't remember much, if anything, about it. Neutral witnesses also supported Brantley's story — that he pushed her out of the way after she punched him.

Austin's attorneys said last month that her injuries from the fight resulted in "extensive medical treatment." But investigators said she was not seriously hurt and that "any injury she sustained is relatively minor and inconsistent with any great force having been used against her."

"In essence," the State Attorney's Office said, "the facts suggest that the alleged victim's friends engaged Brantley in an unpleasant verbal exchange, during which the alleged victim began to physically punch or assault Brantley, causing him to shove her away."

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I'm glad we have so many morality police here on a football message board. For God's sake, I am willing to bet that most of these players being drafted have done things in their past that look bad. Many grow up in crime filled, gang ruled neighborhoods. I am also willing to bet that more than half of them smoke weed. Who frigging cares. Many of you guys act like they are coming to live with you or something.

If these kids screw up and cost themselves millions, it doesn't effect any of us in any way. We don't pay them, and they don't work for us. The league is littered with many players with trouble in their past, many are stars, and have been for years.

I find it hilarious that some above posters take the stuff so seriously. Must not have much going in their "real" lives to get all butt hurt over a kid drafted by a team they like. Heck, when a Steeler player gets busted for weed, he is slapped on the wrist and is let play in playoff games.

Some here have some serious issues, if a person they will never meet in their life doesn't meet their moral standards, and they are compelled to argue about it continually. I hope that makes them feel morally superior to the rest of us "football" fans.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c:

"Callaway was the first player in Florida history to score a TD by catching a pass, rushing, returning a punt, returning a kick and even throwing a TD pass".

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Callaway and Peppers back on kickoffs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Awo3B31s0

P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife

I agree. It's too bad that's not exactly what happened.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/b...rantley/2324230

In a press release, prosecutors said Austin and witnesses who testified on her behalf had been drinking that night and provided contradictory testimony. Austin first denied being assaulted, then couldn't remember much, if anything, about it. Neutral witnesses also supported Brantley's story — that he pushed her out of the way after she punched him.

Austin's attorneys said last month that her injuries from the fight resulted in "extensive medical treatment." But investigators said she was not seriously hurt and that "any injury she sustained is relatively minor and inconsistent with any great force having been used against her."

"In essence," the State Attorney's Office said, "the facts suggest that the alleged victim's friends engaged Brantley in an unpleasant verbal exchange, during which the alleged victim began to physically punch or assault Brantley, causing him to shove her away."

The part you cited admits and describes a 6'2 300 pound man knocking a 120 pound woman cold.

I've never known "Cleveland strife" before today, but, Christ, don't let this man around women or children.

Based on his comments he may sock them in the mouth.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You really are missing the point and are making yourself look silly at the same time.

I've never known "Cleveland strife" before today, but, Christ, don't let this man around women or children.

Based on his comments he may sock them in the mouth.

Never. But I would like to put a sock in your mouth.

I have have never known PDF before today but, Christ, don't let this man have a position of power.

Based on his comments he might condemn you to death based on accusations alone.

Last edited by CleVeLaNd_sTrife; 04/29/18 12:59 AM.

P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
You really are missing the point and are making yourself look silly at the same time.

You're entire argument has been that it was OK when a 300 pound man socked a 120 pound woman in the mouth.

Certainly don't need lessons on "looking silly" from someone creepy enough to argue "she hit him first"

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Browns select Antonio Callaway with the 105th pick

Link Copied to Clipboard