Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
No, I understand what you're asking and IMO, yes. I mean... don't get me wrong I've seen him literally get dragged by bigger backs, but he's a corner. Hang on and let help arrive. He had some 67 career tackles at OSU.

I think he can add some mass to that frame, stay lean and fast in the process too. He still has a lot to learn, just being blunt about it. Passion and athleticism can unlock a better Ward.

Ok....sounds like he tackles high. We need to change that.

I am going to have to look at some tape. Smaller guys need to go low.

Your last comment? Not sure what that means....do you think he lacks passion or athleticism?

Either way, some really good corners were never all that good in run support. I can live with that if Ward can knock about 75% off a top receivers game. Maybe not even that much. It's not like he isn't going to give up TD passes or completions. Shut down doesn't mean the other player isn't going to make plays. It means he isn't going to make as many.

That is the important part. As fans we want players who have complete games, but the reality is nearly everybody has a hole in their game somewhere.

There are a little over 300 players in the HOF. Even some most of them had holes in their game to some degree or another.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Your last comment? Not sure what that means....do you think he lacks passion or athleticism?

No comparisons, but we had a CB with no passion but tons of athleticism and that didn't work out. Ward has both and I think the upside is big, even though he has a solid set of skills as-is.

Go watch the tape, I sincerely think you'll like what you see.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

No comparisons, but we had a CB with no passion but tons of athleticism and that didn't work out. Ward has both and I think the upside is big, even though he has a solid set of skills as-is.

Go watch the tape, I sincerely think you'll like what you see.

Ok...I understand now. On the first read I read it like he needed more.

I already like it.....it's not like Ii never watched some Bucks football or never watched a little tape on the guy.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I want to point out one thing that nobody has brought up about this pick.

If the defense plays 60 snaps per game Ward will be on the field for 60 snaps. If we had taken Chubb he would have played in a rotation with Garrett and Ogbah and been on the field for around 40 plays. Ward will have a bigger impact overall than Chubb will.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I want to point out one thing that nobody has brought up about this pick.

If the defense plays 60 snaps per game Ward will be on the field for 60 snaps. If we had taken Chubb he would have played in a rotation with Garrett and Ogbah and been on the field for around 40 plays. Ward will have a bigger impact overall than Chubb will.

I guess it's all subjective. Just because you play more plays doesn't mean that you have a bigger impact.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
Your right. It does however mean you have a chance to make more of an impact.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I don't really care about the physical part.

Can he tackle? I remember when we drafted Joe and tried to calm people since I watched him for 3-4 years. As good a cover guy that he was, he was a better tackler. He wasn't a big hitter, he just locked people ankles together and made the tackle.

I am good with the Ward pick. I know he is fast, can jump, can cover guys, and has ball skills.

I don't watch much OSU football anymore. I am a SEC fan. I watch that for the most part. I am not saying this as a knock in any way. I want to know, is he a good tackler?

Not hitter....tackler. I don't want my cover corner being a big hitter. To easy to get hurt doing that. Does he wrap up his guy?
He can tackle - or I should say hes not AFRAID to tackle. he will get in there and do what he has to do. But physics are physics, and at times EVERY corner is going to get bowled over.

But if you asking does he give half effort? No, he will go in tackle with everything he has. And like someone else said, he might only slow a guy down, but he wont give up on that job.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Whether Ward can tackle or not is yet to be seen.

I know this, that if he can be a shutdown corner, I don’t really care how well he can tackle.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Browns select Denzel Ward with the fourth overall pick

Link Copied to Clipboard