Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
I can list a lot of names of high school boys and college age boys that were drinking on Friday and Saturday nights that ran from the cops because it happens. Why? Because we were kids in school being kids in school. I am not entirely sure what rocks most of the people have lived under but either you are lying to yourselves and others about the things you did in high school and college or you are just perfect people. I highly doubt the latter.

I bet if we put you under a microscope you have done things in the heat of the moment you wouldn't be proud of either. The difference being you never got caught nor caught for all the world to witness. I learned long ago NOONE is pure and innocent no matter how much they try to hide there are always skeletons and secrets to every man. So please stop with all the holier than thou. At least warn people so they can put their boots on.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Wyo1975
I can list a lot of names of high school boys and college age boys that were drinking on Friday and Saturday nights that ran from the cops because it happens. Why? Because we were kids in school being kids in school. I am not entirely sure what rocks most of the people have lived under but either you are lying to yourselves and others about the things you did in high school and college or you are just perfect people. I highly doubt the latter.

I bet if we put you under a microscope you have done things in the heat of the moment you wouldn't be proud of either. The difference being you never got caught nor caught for all the world to witness. I learned long ago NOONE is pure and innocent no matter how much they try to hide there are always skeletons and secrets to every man. So please stop with all the holier than thou. At least warn people so they can put their boots on.

Yes I’ve done dumb stuff as a youth. Who hasn’t?
I’m not the face of a franchise. I’m not being asked to lead men.
I’m not the one under the microscope in the big picture...the press, living up to draft status, etc. Baker is.

I’ve never run from the cops.

I’ve never seen a group of people want and try so badly to get me, or anyone, to like someone. It’s getting weird.
I’m not a fan of Baker, the personality.
I’m willing to be a fan of Baker, the player, if he wins.
Can y’all just accept that? I have.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So basically you're saying Baker Mayfield isn't invited to your birthday party.

Cleveland Browns, Space Browns
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
O
Legend
Legend
O
This marks the beginning of the Mayfield era in Cleveland. I hope it is long and full of championships.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
No problem. I now understand your position. You don't have to like him just like I don't have to care about things I consider stupid things.

We do agree we need to win some games.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Wait we drafted a guy that's not going to be a 1st day starter AND we are paying him 8 million per year. Crap fire the front office bunch of damn bums

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Wait we drafted a guy that's not going to be a 1st day starter AND we are paying him 8 million per year. Crap fire the front office bunch of damn bums

Check your glasses GM, that's blue not purple.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
No problem. I now understand your position. You don't have to like him just like I don't have to care about things I consider stupid things.

We do agree we need to win some games.

I said sometime in the fall that I wouldn't spend another dime on anything Browns until they start winning. So far I haven't.

I want a Mayfield jersey as soon as he starts winning. smile But he has to win two in a row first.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

My glasses are just fine. It's my eyes that suck.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

I’ve never seen a group of people want and try so badly to get me, or anyone, to like someone. It’s getting weird.
I’m not a fan of Baker, the personality.
I’m willing to be a fan of Baker, the player, if he wins.
Can y’all just accept that? I have.

No one is trying to get you to like anyone. No one really cares, but it's the fact you claim you know him and his personality that really stirs people around here. I think it's the false narrative people have grown tired of... You don't know Baker or his personality, but you think you do based on a handful of events and you're using that as a basis for not liking his personality...

Saying you don't like cocky players probably eliminates liking a lot of NFL players for you.

And maybe you've met Baker and if so I'd apologize, but I'm guessing you haven't.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I don’t like his crotch grabbing. His finger flipping. His running around on the field swinging his arms like a child on a sugar rush. His throwing the ball at at opposing players face. His yelling profanity at opponents. His running from the cops. His self promotion docu-series ‘Behind Baker’ is a joke until he wins.

I don’t have to have met him to know what I don’t like about him.
Many here don’t like Hue, Haslem, Sashi....never met them.

I’ve never met the president...

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 05/03/18 09:03 AM.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Sweet,, didn't see that coming so fast

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Immaturity issues are a concern but it's not a major concern, not like he is out robbing liquor stores.

He plays with a chip on his shoulder. The great ones do.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

My glasses are just fine. It's my eyes that suck.

Right there with ya!

Last edited by 1oldMutt; 05/03/18 09:48 AM.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
If Jerry Rice didn’t feel the need to act like a child on a sugar rush when he scored then... just do your job.
So Jerry Rice sets what standard every living being on earth needs to act like? WE live in a free society.

Quote:
If my 23 year old son grabbed his crotch I’d have a pretty direct conversation about how to conduct himself
How do you do you know this didn't happen? Did he do it again afterwards?

Quote:
It’s called being a dad and passing on lessons on sportsmanship and being a grown man. But I guess I’m old school...and a prude?
once again, you are judging someone on something you have no idea about. You have no idea what was said to him. And as a parent, you may voice your displeasure, however you need to understand that he his actions are his actions now, as he is an adult.

Lets see, the kids a millionaire now, has one of the strongest work ethics of ANY football player I have ever seen and has overcome at every level so far he has ever played at. I would reckon his parents are quite proud actually. Regardless of you judgments about them.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I also find it funny you made 1 post in the Callaway thread - yet several here.

You stated (paraphrasing) "all that matters is a player balls out, then he will be loved"

I would go on record and say credit card fraud, drugs, and sexual assault accusations are a little on the list of concern that crotch grabbing. Yet you are acting like Bakers actions were the worst thing to ever happen on earth. . . .

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: willitevachange

You stated (paraphrasing) "all that matters is a player balls out, then he will be loved"

I would go on record and say credit card fraud, drugs, and sexual assault accusations are a little on the list of concern that crotch grabbing. Yet you are acting like Bakers actions were the worst thing to ever happen on earth. . . .

....!

Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
OSU fans for being mad Florida beat them in a a few sports.

Anything Florida is no good.

Okay Braylon. Lol (different school, same rediculous premise)

We all (mostly all) loved Haden. At least until he started getting hurt. Just ball out and you’ll be loved. I think a player’s school comes way way down on most people’s list of why not to like a player.

superconfused

Last edited by BpG; 05/03/18 10:42 AM.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Did his dad talk to him after the cop incident? Then again the finger? Then again the crotch grab?... I don’t know. If so, Baker must not listen to his dad. OR... or he’s unable to control his emotions once the juices start flowing. That is my concern.

Look. We all have different traits we like in our friends, families, celebrities, etc.
You like what you like. I’ll do the same.
To each their own.
The behavior and actions, to this point, has shown me enough to not care much for him.

If he wins...I’ll have to live with it. I’m okay with that. I won’t ever like it. But I can live with it.

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 05/03/18 10:59 AM.

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Did his dad talk anti him after the cop incident? Then again the finger? Then again the crotch grab?... I don’t know. If so, Baker must not listen to his dad. OR... or he’s unable to control his emotions once the juices start flowing. That is my concern.

Look. We all have different traits we like in our friends, families, celebrities, etc.
To each their own.
The behavior and actions, to this point, has shown me enough to not care much for him.

If he wins...I’ll have to live with it. I’m okay with that. I won’t ever like it. But I can live with it.
I don't think anyone cares if you like him or not. But to bash him as a player - saying because he grabbed his crotch he doesn't deserve to be the number 1 pick I just, well - not the best look.

Im not trying to be jerk toward you, or make you like someone. I don't know the kid either - Im tyring to help you out. Your saying hes not a good pick cause he grabbed his crotch, your saying hes not a good pick cause YOU don't like his attitude, your saying hes not a good pick, for anything that has NOTHING to do with football.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I have no idea what kind of a player he’s going to be on the pro level. No one really does.
My hope, he’s good.

I’d have preferred a more even keeled QB lead the team. I’d have preferred a bigger bodied guy on the field. I’d have preferred someone a few years younger.
It’s all moot now.
Baker is the QB.
I hope he’s good.

I don’t have to care for him personally to root for him to win.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's become the narrative in our society. Don't hold people accountable for their actions. Make excuses for bad behavior. Turn the tables on those asking such legitimate questions. Blame those asking the questions. It's a sad state of affairs.

There are no reasonable excuses. We can only hope it isn't an issue going forward.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
I’d have preferred someone a few years younger.

Why? What is your reasoning? I don't care how old my quarterback is. The younger ones like Kizer need time, Baker will not. We could start him week 1 if we wanted. There are several quarterbacks playing in their mid 30s. Baker is 23, that's at least 10 years and probably 15... now we're getting picky by 2 years? The age thing never made much sense to me....

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

Not to derail this thread and talk about Mayfield and his contract, but I cannot find any evidence that he signed the contract. I've checked a couple trackers.

This thread title makes it sound as though he signed it, but I cannot find evidence of him doing so.

And, to the Mayfield fan-bois, I am not saying anything negative about him. Just asking a question.

If the intent to say they he *will* sign a contract ... no kidding. Who was the last NFL draftee that did not sign a contract? The dude that Botch Davis picked who was actually in jail at the time?

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

This thread title makes it sound as though he signed it, but I cannot find evidence of him doing so.

Correct.
He has not signed, yet.

The thread title is erroneous. The referenced tweet only states the value of the deal he will eventually be signing.. and even so, that is likely just speculation, at best.

Values are slotted, but specifics are not.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Correct.
He has not signed, yet.

The thread title is erroneous. The referenced tweet only states the value of the deal he will eventually be signing.. and even so, that is likely just speculation, at best.

Values are slotted, but specifics are not.

Yes it is erroneous. I started it and interpreted the tweet incorrectly. Feel free to delete it.

Tackles are tackles.
E
Legend
Legend
E
This would worry me a teeny bit if there was ONE PERSON. IN FOOTBALL, IN THE ANALYST CHAIR, that also thinks this is a PROBLEM.

I've been seeing tapes of guys talking about our pick and NOT ONE, had this remotely as an issue. OK you don't like Aaron Rodger or Philip Rivers. I am sorry that you have been West Coasted and lost your roots from Ohio. Yep, lets not even keep score cause it might upset somebody...lol laugh

I do feel a little less insulted when you include Mayfield with Rodgers and Rivers. ok so its not a Mayfield problem its a Portland problem.

One question, how long till you let it go? Cause he's not the jerk you think he is. Learn more about him as a person.

For crying out loud.
Hue, Highsmith...all fell in love with this guy WHEN THEY FOUND OUT WHAT KIND OF PERSON HE IS! Doesn't that say anything to you. That your, He's a punk evaluation just might be wrong?

That the Media editing of him is what you are reacting on not the man.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal...aunting-apology

Take a look at this. Shows the handshake, shows the taunting to KU fans.

But what is never noted except from me several times. What spurned on the crotch grabbing was the 3rd film in the group.
The cheap shot...he didn't come out, he just drove the ball the next few times for TDs and when the nail was in the coffin he grabbed his crotch.

You tell me what is disgusting. Trying to hurt somebody and take them OUT. Total cheap shot. Or continue playing football within the rules and beat you like a snare drum then grab your crotch as in - SO THERE! TRY TO INJURE ME AGAIN!!!

you tell me.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
This would worry me a teeny bit if there was ONE PERSON. IN FOOTBALL, IN THE ANALYST CHAIR, that also thinks this is a PROBLEM.

I've been seeing tapes of guys talking about our pick and NOT ONE, had this remotely as an issue. OK you don't like Aaron Rodger or Philip Rivers. I am sorry that you have been West Coasted and lost your roots from Ohio. Yep, lets not even keep score cause it might upset somebody...lol laugh

I do feel a little less insulted when you include Mayfield with Rodgers and Rivers. ok so its not a Mayfield problem its a Portland problem.

One question, how long till you let it go? Cause he's not the jerk you think he is. Learn more about him as a person.

For crying out loud.
Hue, Highsmith...all fell in love with this guy WHEN THEY FOUND OUT WHAT KIND OF PERSON HE IS! Doesn't that say anything to you. That your, He's a punk evaluation just might be wrong?

That the Media editing of him is what you are reacting on not the man.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal...aunting-apology

Take a look at this. Shows the handshake, shows the taunting to KU fans.

But what is never noted except from me several times. What spurned on the crotch grabbing was the 3rd film in the group.
The cheap shot...he didn't come out, he just drove the ball the next few times for TDs and when the nail was in the coffin he grabbed his crotch.

You tell me what is disgusting. Trying to hurt somebody and take them OUT. Total cheap shot. Or continue playing football within the rules and beat you like a snare drum then grab your crotch as in - SO THERE! TRY TO INJURE ME AGAIN!!!

you tell me.

Really eo? I’ve lost my roots?
No, quite the opposite I’d say. I was raised in Ohio. In the Midwest. In a small town. With small town values. My parents raised me to respect others. To display sportsmanship. To rise above petty garbage such as ‘missed handshakes’. To act like a man now that I’m a man.
I don’t care if the opposing team spit in his face at the coin flip. Then proceeded to tell him ‘mom jokes’ the entire game. I don’t care if he felt disrespected. He was on the field of play. His job is to compose himself and display sportsmanship. Let your domination over your opponent speak for you. Not some childish crotch grab.
We’re never going to see eye to eye on this. I can see it’s never going to happen.
Here’s the beauty. You and I never have to see eye to eye on a player. If the player wins we can both cheer.
I don’t ever have to like him to root for him. See how that works.
When Baker gets on the field and wins, I’ll ‘give him a chance’. Right now he’s just another guy until he proves his worth. A guy that I’m not overly fond of as a personality. I never called him a jerk or punk. You put those words in my mouth. I just don’t like his style. His persona. His lack of emotional self control. Will I ever turn the corner on him? Sure if he grows up and acts as such on the field. Do I ever have to turn the corner on him? No, I can be a Browns fan and root for Baker to win and never be a fan of his.
See, I think Ben is a despicable human. If I were a Steelers fan I’d not be a fan of Ben, the person. I’d still be spending my Sunday's rooting for the team to win.
I think Cutler is a pouty jerk. I don’t like his personality. If he were a Brown I’d root for the team to win.
See the difference?

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

Calloway was a forth round flyer on talent with a rap sheet. Not the #1 overall. He’s not being asked to carry the franchise. He’ll come cheap and expendable if he screws up. I find his behavior more problematic than Baker’s for sure. His actions have the possibility of bringing others down around him. (ie getting Gordon in trouble again.) Baker’s personality will just draw flags.
I never said anything about Baker’s actions being ‘the worst thing on the earth’. I just don’t like his personality type.
And yes, if Calloway balls out, his play will be loved. If Baker balls out, his play will be loved.
Doesn’t mean I have to care for Calloway or Baker as a person or personality.
That’s where I think you all are misconstrued.
If Baker wins I’ll be cheering for my Browns. I can be a Browns fan without ever fully liking all the personalities of the players on the team.
Just win.

[Linked Image]
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K

Calloway was a forth round flyer on talent with a rap sheet. Not the #1 overall. He’s not being asked to carry the franchise. He’ll come cheap and expendable if he screws up. I find his behavior more problematic than Baker’s for sure. His actions have the possibility of bringing others down around him. (ie getting Gordon in trouble again.) Baker’s personality will just draw flags.
I never said anything about Baker’s actions being ‘the worst thing on the earth’. I just don’t like his personality type.
And yes, if Calloway balls out, his play will be loved. If Baker balls out, his play will be loved.
Doesn’t mean I have to care for Calloway or Baker as a person or personality.
That’s where I think you all are misconstrued.
If Baker wins I’ll be cheering for my Browns. I can be a Browns fan without ever fully liking all the personalities of the players on the team.
Just win.

Dude. We GET IT. You don't like the antics. WE HEAR YOU.

It's been OLD for over a WEEK NOW.

Maybe talk to your kids or a therapist. My God. You RUINED Our New QB threads. Jezzuuzz,

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
You guys keep coming at me.
I’m just laying out my reasoning in each response.
I’ve multiple times throughout the thread stated, “we can agree to disagree”. Yet more people come at me like my concerns are from absolute left field.

Fine. Enough.
Don’t come at me like I’m the bad guy. I’ll have no reason to chime back in.

Let’s all agree to disagree.

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Of course any father of a kid playing sports is going to try to instill class and pull him (or her) aside if he's a jackwad.

As others said - I totally get the emotions running high when the other team refuses to shake your hand. I don't have a big issue or problem with that incident and find it eminently forgivable.

I can't speak for others - but to me the reason I continue to make these flippant remarks about the hate BM is getting - is because it's unwarranted. It's extreme. It's over the top and prejudicial. . . . From you I see absolutely nothing that says - "He's a Brown and damn if I don't want the kid to rock it and be ROY and the future franchise QB we've missed since the return" ..... nothing with any positive spin. And he's done nothing as a Brown to warrant any bashing. Oh yeah - other than being a midget. For that there can be no forgiveness

SURE - there are some red flags and things he did as a college kid that I absolutely don't want him to do in a Browns Uni. As much as I understood the crotch grab - even if teams are disrespetful, I don't want to see him do that in a Browns Uni. If he starts day 1 and beats Pit 63-0 I don't want to see him do that. I don't want him to get into any incident ever involving a cop .... I bet none of the fans of BM on here want to see him be a jackwad in a Browns Uni either .... the difference is they aren't condemning him without him ever having taken the field yet.

But it's pretty simple to say something more balanced "I hated some of the schtick he did in College and I don't want to see him do that as QB for the Browns. Kid has a clean sheet - and as long as he acts with a higher level or maturity in the NFL I am going to root for him all day long and twice on Sundays." That's not far from what you claim to be saying .... but everything you write has a different vibe to that entirely. In your posts the kid is already guilty of being a jackwad and will remain so until you deem otherwise.

jmo

Last edited by mgh888; 05/03/18 06:18 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’m out.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Did his dad talk to him after the cop incident? Then again the finger? Then again the crotch grab?... I don’t know. If so, Baker must not listen to his dad. OR... or he’s unable to control his emotions once the juices start flowing. That is my concern.

To each their own.

So now you will live with us winning, but will never like it?

Wow

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

To each their own.

So now you will live with us winning, but will never like it?

Wow

I guess I’m back.... stop twisting my words. You’re better than this.
You’re making it sound like I said “I’ll live with us winning, but not like it”. As though I’ll not like us winning. Which is absurd. You’re twisting what I said and you know it.
I was sayin... if we’re winning, I’ll live with Baker’s antics...but never like them.

Stop twisting my words and I’ll not return to the thread. Or keep putting words in my mouth and I’ll further ‘ruin’ the thread...per kwhip.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Calloway was a forth round flyer on talent with a rap sheet. Not the #1 overall. He’s not being asked to carry the franchise.

But you said this in the post right above this one..

Quote:
When Baker gets on the field and wins, I’ll ‘give him a chance’. Right now he’s just another guy until he proves his worth.

So is he just another guy... or is he the #1 overall being asked to carry the franchise? I don't see how he can be both....

I wish there was less of the antics in sports in general.. flexing when you are 6'9" and you dunk? Really? Getting up and dancing after every tackle.. yea I wish a lot of that would calm down.. but it's become a part of the game...

Let me put it this way, I'd rather have a guy who goes a little over the top once in a while than a guy who acts like he doesn't really care and is all smiles after every loss...

The thing Mayfield needs to be aware of when he sees the field (whenever that is).. NFL players know his reputation, they will do everything they can do to get under his skin and get him distracted.. so that's something he is going to have to be very aware of especially early in his playing career.

yebat' Putin
C
Legend
Legend
C
Not to be a turd in the punch bowl, but Mayfield has not actually signed a contract yet. The tweet this thread is based on shows what Mayfield’s contract will be when it is signed. He has not actually signed yet.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
To the team, he’s being asked to be the face of the franchise. It’s why he was brought here. It’s who the FO put their career in the hands of.
To me, until he wins, he’s just another guy. A guy that kinda rubs me the wrong way.
If he wins... GO BROWNS!!

I agree with everything else you said... am I a monster?

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
All the top 4 QB prospects in the draft had problems.. Darnold's was a lack of experience and a history of fumbles and INTs .. Rosen was a reputation of a limited attention span and an immature know it all uncoachable attitude .. Allen was inaccuracy with a lack of major competition .. Mayfield was shorter than average height and immature cockiness .. So the Dorsey chose the one he thought was the best fit ... Mayfield.

There was no Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning in this draft.. You pay your money and you take your chance.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
Even a dumb old redneck like me gets it Portland. You don't like Baker as a person. But you will be a hootin, an a hollerin, every time he takes the field for the Browns, and you will be prayin he does great and leads us to a superbowl. Just they way I rooted for Kellen Winslow's no good stuck up think's his poop don't stink, punk ass. thumbsup

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season 2018 NFL Draft Baker Mayfield

Link Copied to Clipboard