Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quit being so dramatic ... i didn’t call u a dumb ass ... sheesh ...

I will think what i want ... as should u ... if u want to be grateful to the man ... thats your call ... i disagree with it ... and i stated why .... sorry if u can’t handle that ..

And the fact i think he’s a POS THIEF has nothing to do with what hes done here ... sorry tab ... the fact i call him the thief does not change a damm thing hes done since hes been here ... THATS ON HIM ... not my bias ...

I’m out ... talk to u on one of the many optomistic topics we have to talk about ... thumbsup

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: BpG
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
.. stupid plan...

The Plan wasn't "stupid". Amongst other issues, it was a lack of commitment to see it through long term...

believe what you want.. to purposely make yourself into a expansion team is stupid.

Right. Because the roster Sashi, Hue, DePo, Berry initially inherited was a amazing, producing at a high level, & not old/slow at all! notallthere

Why the NFL Draft isn’t as important as it used to be

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/patri...trsI/story.html

the days of trying to build through the draft and gutting teams has been over for 10+ years...

Imagine someone from the Boston Globe, the antithesis of the Browns talking about team building. In the market of the team that has the greatest QB of all time, taken in the 6th round, talking about the draft “ain’t what it used to be”.

Teams like the Seahawks, Panthers, Raiders, Colts have all proven that theory incorrect in recent memory. All bottomed out and gutted, all ended up with Star players. Even the team they are pointing to in the Rams moved all the way to the top of the draft to get their QB.

I do not agree with their premise whatsoever.

Interesting Factoid regarding quick NFL turnaorounds

*These are how many players the team has on their current roster from two years prior

2017 Eagles: 20
2017 Jags: 21
2017 Rams:22
2016 Raiders: 20

Compared to 2017 Browns: 8

think what you want.. those 8 were not even the best.

being a browns fan is like taking your dog to vet every week to be put down...
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ok and all of those teams have cornerstone players they wouldn't have turned it around without from the top of NFL drafts.

Edit: Maybe I am misreading your point.

Last edited by BpG; 05/03/18 03:00 PM.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
He keeps hiring and firing people. You do realize that sooner or later, the guy doing all that hiring and firing might be the one who is the problem????

I think this was meant for the political forum?

wink

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Impressive stat to be sure. Not sure why our number is so low, but in considering it,I have no idea why we kept that many. We seem to have more "keepers." Already.

I quit after Duke and Joe T.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Ok and all of those teams have cornerstone players they wouldn't have turned it around without from the top of NFL drafts.

more than that... average players too. they did not make there teams into expansion teams..

you made fun of the link i put up.. wich did you think was wrong? the part that collage players need more time to adjust to nfl or the part where it brought up the CBA and limit practice to make it even harder?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

more than that... average players too. they did not make there teams into expansion teams..

you made fun of the link i put up.. wich did you think was wrong? the part that collage players need more time to adjust to nfl or the part where it brought up the CBA and limit practice to make it even harder?

Both of those things are true. It's still the only way to build a Football team though. It's been proven over and over again that you can't buy a team in Free Agency and that Free Agency is only good to add the last remaining pieces to a team built through the draft.

The fact that it's harder now makes it more important, not less.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I'm just honestly, and in no fashion trying to be offensive to the poster, but tired of hearing about "culture" and etc. Just complete and utterly tired of it.

This is a culture of come and go, losing and failing at all levels and all aspects. Once we start winning, coming into a game with a true, honest "we're going to win" and start seeing young guys playing at a high level... I'll talk about culture all you want. Hell I'll code you a website about it. A desktop app. I'll write it all different languages. Point made...

Now John is GM, it may not start from there but can't possibly be far off from the top.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
He keeps hiring and firing people. You do realize that sooner or later, the guy doing all that hiring and firing might be the one who is the problem????

I think this was meant for the political forum?

wink

It could aplply there, yes. wink

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

Both of those things are true. It's still the only way to build a Football team though. It's been proven over and over again that you can't buy a team in Free Agency and that Free Agency is only good to add the last remaining pieces to a team built through the draft.

The fact that it's harder now makes it more important, not less.

well llok at the player stats of each round... how many go on to be good, great, average or just gone. how many year will it take to make a 22 man roster let alone a 53 man? then take in injury and loss from FA... gut a team and build from scratch through the draft lmao

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

I will think what i want ... as should u ... if u want to be grateful to the man ... thats your call ... i disagree with it ... and i stated why .... sorry if u can’t handle that ..

And the fact i think he’s a POS THIEF has nothing to do with what hes done here ... sorry tab ... the fact i call him the thief does not change a damm thing hes done since hes been here ... THATS ON HIM ... not my bias ...

I’m out ... talk to u on one of the many optomistic topics we have to talk about ... thumbsup

You keep saying he is a thief, yet he was charged with nothing and convicted of nothing.

Do you have information the rest of us don't?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
With lots of trading you get a quantity of picks and the tanking that goes along with gutting the team gives you earlier picks. I know it's hard for some to comprehend, but it makes a lot more sense then trying to 5 win your way through a bunch of seasons and hoping you get lucky with the picks you have.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

You keep saying he is a thief, yet he was charged with nothing and convicted of nothing.

Do you have information the rest of us don't?

I do so hate the Hillary argument.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Maybe you do, I can't help that.

You have to be proven guilty to be found guilty.

Just the way it is

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PDF Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
It's very evident John Dorsey has come in with vision and long term game plan that is creating hope and promise
the one thing that separates Dorsey from the past bozo GMs is that Dorsey EXPECTS to win.
the other GMs especially Farmer and Sissy Brown were either not trying to win or at best hoping to win.
Dorsey is proven and his blueprint is all over Berea.
I think Dorsey also wanted to draft a QB
that was much like him from a personality standpoint

I think I've read similar sentiments regarding every GM we've had.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Yeah this ain't my first rodeo, once you got a moniker established in your head its there for the duration...lol

dramatic...quite frankly don't care about the difference of opinion. I know its a board but when I state my opinion and your reaction is rofl that is how I take it. I don't think I've ever done that to somebodies opinion. Its like calling somebody a dumb ass why I mean if its just busting chops ok, but I do take laughing at me personal I guess. Should I not?

Lamp...I get he has re done but he didn't redo the HC to me that is cause he does wish to have some continuity He also made the right call, even though I liked Sashi, getting Dorsey was an upgrade. Was he incorrect in that? Getting a football person to build the organization unlike it has before him?

I see it as getting it right. I applaud Haslam not for being Fickle but for getting it right. I you don't see it that way, ok, nothing I can do about it.

Right time, right place. He didn't dictate the QB choice, he knew who he wanted but he let them one by one come up with the same decision. That way he knew he was making the right decision. Haven't heard Haley on this subject of the QB decisikon. But Dorsey knew and almost the same time OU proday as they had their personal workout with him...when Hue knew he was the guy also. After the Berea visit. Highsmith who I think is the top scout for Dorsey is when he made up his mind.

Glad we got Dorsey at the right time. More than likely the analytical driven assessment probably would have had Mayfield as well. But the process seemed to be done the right way!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PDF
It's very evident John Dorsey has come in with vision and long term game plan that is creating hope and promise
the one thing that separates Dorsey from the past bozo GMs is that Dorsey EXPECTS to win.
the other GMs especially Farmer and Sissy Brown were either not trying to win or at best hoping to win.

Nah.. I never had that feeling about Sashi.. I never had it about Butch the GM (though I liked Butch the coach).. but I'm not going to go through them one by one..

It's not just Dorsey though.. I like Dorsey, I like our OC and DC, I think we have as much talent as we've had in a long long time.... in the end, it comes down to Hue and Mayfield as to whether we are talking 10 wins a couple years from now or if we are talking total reboot.

yebat' Putin
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Nah.. I never had that feeling about Sashi.. I never had it about Butch the GM (though I liked Butch the coach).. but I'm not going to go through them one by one..

It's not just Dorsey though.. I like Dorsey, I like our OC and DC, I think we have as much talent as we've had in a long long time.... in the end, it comes down to Hue and Mayfield as to whether we are talking 10 wins a couple years from now or if we are talking total reboot.

I'm with you here. I bought into the Holmgren/Heckert hype...but not really anyone else. Sashi was a Lawyer put in a no-win situation - no pun intended.

I'll add the new/other front office professionals to your OC/DC combo of chnage. To use a roster theme, we are deep in the front office.

E
Legend
Legend
E
jc

I think Dorsey wants to win now. All the past GMs just wanted to kick the can down the road.

No Craps Given
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
jc

I think Dorsey wants to win now. All the past GMs just wanted to kick the can down the road.

This is how I see it. No more rebuilding, now it's time to strike. Nice FA moves and a good draft, paired with some decent foundation players reaching their second and third seasons.

They want to win now. And I think they are going to. I got a feeling people are going to like Tyrod. This guys is a decent QB. My worries are more on the Oline, but with Duke and Hyde, and Landy and Gordon, they might just end up being way better than expected by most.

Was talking about it with my wife, and was telling her, I might just cry if they are actually good. We were laughing, but deep down I might. It's been so long and brutal.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
B
Legend
Legend
B
I'd be willing to bet you have never ridden in a rodeo.

Heck, I might bet $10 you have never been to a rodeo. cool

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

But with better sentence structure.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

Rodeo’s smell like BS.

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Tulsa

Rodeo’s smell like BS.

They do....I went to school in Gainesville, Fla.....that is horse and rodeo country. Central Florida is big in to Cowboy. I like rodeo. My wife is from Idaho if you can believe that....one of the 175 women from the state of Idaho....she actually participated in rodeo....barrel racing.

I didn't know her when she did it, but have seen the pictures and buckles she won, and know she can ride a horse way better that I.

She's my "Idaho" as I tell people. Pat doesn't care for it all that much, but people do, so she is a good sport about it.

I love that woman.

George Strait sang it best.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
Us Wyoming Cowboys appreciate you!!

However, while I dig the George Strait, this here is Chris LeDoux country tongue

Last edited by Wyo1975; 05/04/18 11:35 PM. Reason: had to clarify our brand of country
E
Legend
Legend
E
Doesn't every man want a woman who can control a 1100 pound powerful beast between her legs and direct it's every action?

Just saying.

Horse Girls Rule.

(Is A Horse Girl)

No Craps Given
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
general clicking

Culture is a relative term, it could the end result of your actions.

Culture is the result, not the beginning

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
O
Legend
Legend
O
Horse Girls and Biker Chicks should form a club. lol wink

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Wyo1975
Us Wyoming Cowboys appreciate you!!

However, while I dig the George Strait, this here is Chris LeDoux country tongue

Oh yeah...that has my hat brim turned up in a big ole Texas grin.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Doesn't every man want a woman who can control a 1100 pound powerful beast between her legs and direct it's every action?

Just saying.

Horse Girls Rule.

(Is A Horse Girl)

That! grin

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Still find it odd that so many still like to pile on Sashi.

From my perspective there were two choices (maybe 3 if you count the decision not to execute the trade for Dalton) - that defined Sashi's tenure: Passing on 2 QBs, Wentz and Watson. Everything else was good to average. He found a few gems in some of the mid-late rounds. He resigned some core talent. So the big issue is Wentz and Watson.

Maybe I am biased because I didn't want to spend the #2 overall pick on Wentz .... and I didn't want Watson either.

Of all the people bashing Sashi who really wanted Wentz at 2??? Not very many that I recall. Very very few seemed convinced he was the right pick. Maybe more (from my memory) wanted Watson but again it was not than many.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I wanted Wentz, but was OK with the haul we got in trade for him. Inside, though, my heart was breaking when the Eagles called his name. He has turned out to be more than I ever thought he would be.

I never wanted Watson. I thought that he was an overrated system QB. He proved my wrong ... at least so far, anyway.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I most certainly wanted Wentz. When it comes to Watson my report wasn't nearly as glowing. My statement about him was that if I was forced to draft a QB from that class, it would be Watson. So yeah, that's not high praise. lol

But then again, I don't get paid a seven figure salary to make those decisions.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I most certainly wanted Wentz. When it comes to Watson my report wasn't nearly as glowing. My statement about him was that if I was forced to draft a QB from that class, it would be Watson. So yeah, that's not high praise. lol

But then again, I don't get paid a seven figure salary to make those decisions.

I think the report isn’t out yet on Watson. Yes he went off over a few game run last season. Teams had little to no game film on him to truly scheme a defense against him. My guess is he’d come back to earth some as a sophomore. Now that his knee has been compromised...after his other knee had been earlier in his life... my guess is his development is going to stutter some. I’m not saying he won’t be good. Or even great. I just think he’s been anointed a ‘franchise QB’ by the talking heads a little prematurely. I’d think that of any one year wonder/great rookie season.
I feel he falls in the catagory of ‘could be franchise QB’s’ such as Carr, Mariota, Dak, Winston, Goff, etc. For me to consider someone a franchise QB you have to be consistently in the playoffs, and then winning in the playoffs. Ideally having at least one championship to your name. Stats alone don’t cut it. Tannehill puts up stats, Cutler puts up stats...a team is never going to win championships with guys like that.
Personally I’d rather have nothing at the position than to waste 10+ years with a Dalton type QB. At least with nothing you can try in the draft for something. Dalton and his kind are fools gold. They waste careers of the talent around them. AJ Green is a monster. If he were playing with a Brees or a Brady he’d be looking at the HOF in his future.
I liked Wentz. Would have been fine with him at pick #2. Understood the trade back though. I think Wentz is proving himself a franchise QB. Two great seasons in a row. He’d have won that SuperBowl I believe.

Last edited by PortlandDawg; 05/05/18 12:46 PM.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Much as you indicated I certainly can't predict the trajectory of Watson. He does have a style of play that could go either way. I've seen QB's with his style continue to excel and I've also seen them fall back down to earth. So at this juncture I find him much harder to predict than Wentz.

But then my opinion may be a bit biased based on my opinions of them in their respective drafts.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Quote:
Still find it odd that so many still like to pile on Sashi.

From my perspective there were two choices (maybe 3 if you count the decision not to execute the trade for Dalton) - that defined Sashi's tenure:

no.. he turn us into a expansion team.. that is what defined him..

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I believe Wentz is the real deal. He should be one of the top QB's for a long time. TO me , the jury is still out on Watson. He has only played a few games. He could be very good or just average. Time will tell.

W
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
W
I argue it had to be done. This team was a 3-4, no it was a 4-3, no it was a zone secondary, no wait it was man, I mean no wait what was it again? The offense fared no better. It was head scratching bust after bust drafting players all fitting different styles and personalitys. There was no cohesion.

Sashi did what was necessary to get this ship righted imo. We collected salary cap we invested in youth to try and build a base and grab cornerstone players through the draft til we had enough of a foundation where the team could go all in on a singular direction.

Was that painful you bet your @$% it was but the ends justified the means. We gathered enough pieces to have a baseline on offense and defense which coupled with huge salary cap allowed the team to added bigger names this off season. I applaud his efforts. At some point rather sooner than later this right here that we have witnessed over the last couple years HAD to happen. Now you can hate on Sashi all day long til you are blue in the face but the fact of the matter is we have never had a direction or a platform to build upon in the past or at least nothing that was going to be sustainable over the long haul he made that possible.

As for passing on QB's the last 2 seasons I again would argue we weren't ready as an organization or a team to take on that QB for his long term success. Sure we could have taken them on without pieces in place and risked breaking their confidence and watching another couple highly touted QBs to be broken but instead we continued to build. Now you can argue that not all of the traded down picks were smart moves which even I can concede that but again Sashi was in a no win situation because he understood what needed to be done and it cost him his job in the end.

IMO if we do start to see improvement it is directly linked to what we have had to endure the last two years.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Wyo1975

IMO if we do start to see improvement it is directly linked to what we have had to endure the last two years.

Like it or not, believe it or not, Dorsey is reaping the rewards of what Sashi put in place...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
E
Legend
Legend
E
Um, we havent reaped the rewards of anything yet.... 0 and 16...

No Craps Given
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The culture that Dorsey is creating the biggest difference I see...

Link Copied to Clipboard