Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
I reported last season on the rise of JW Johnson, Jimmy Haslam's son-in-law last season and an expanding role. Browns employees were notified today that on July 1 he will officially take over as Executive Vice President

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/1007006408481673217

Of course.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
What's wrong with that? It's a family owned business. Why wouldn't you bring family in to the business?

Nobody complains about Evan's and Son's Plumbing.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Unless he's more concerned about his English soccer team than the Browns.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
This is on the business side of the team. Who cares.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I know I don't care.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
C
Legend
Legend
C
I would prefer my favorite football team to hire the best possible person for each available position. If that person happens to be the son-in-law of the owners then I am fine with that. Based on the Haslam's history of hiring people (Scheiner, Farmer, Brown, Pettine, Banner, ... ...) then this probably will end in failure.

Legend
Legend
I never really care who we hire/promote on that side of the organization (even though I highly doubt this guy is the BEST man for the job) .. but let's be honest, the only person's job who matters right now is Baker Mayfield.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Do we know for sure he isn't on the football side of things?

There is already a EVP & COO in David Jenkins. I'm assuming that is on the business side of things. I hope people that are saying this are correct.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Hey, if he's qualified, what is there to say?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Hey, if he's qualified, what is there to say?

I think qualification would be a concern.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
It sounds to me that he will work in the media side of things.

wkyc.com | Haslam son-in law JW Johnson to join Cleveland Browns' front office as executive vice president
https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/...nt/95-564174880

CLEVELAND -- JW Johnson, the son-in-law of owners Dee and Jimmy Haslam, is relocating his family to Cleveland and will take on an executive vice president role with the Cleveland Browns.

A Browns spokesperson confirmed the news after Wednesday’s minicamp practice at the team’s Berea headquarters saying the Haslams wanted to add Johnson to the executive staff “to make it more of a family business, very much in line with the structure of other NFL franchises.”

According to his LinkedIn page, Johnson joins the Browns with a background in journalism and multimedia, as he spent 15 years as an associate director/producer for CBS Sports before becoming the strategic wholesale sales manager at Pilot Flying J, and later, a development director for RIVR Media before founding his own company, 3 Sons Media.

Pilot Flying J is owned by the Haslams, while Dee Haslam is a partner/executive producer for RIVR Media.

Johnson studied broadcast journalism at the University of Mississippi (Ole Miss).

By joining the family business, Johnson is looking to help turn around the fortunes of a Browns team that has struggled mightily in recent seasons.

With their New Year’s Eve loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers, the Browns went winless in a 16-game season for the first time in franchise history, and their 17th consecutive loss dropped the organization to a league-worst 1-31 since the opening game of 2016.

The Browns have not won on a Sunday afternoon since December 13, 2015. The 33 straight Sunday losses are an NFL record, and their 4-49 mark in the last 53 outings is the worst in the league in that span of more than four years.

Additionally, last fall, the Browns set the record for the worst 28-game stretch in NFL history, as they “bested” the previous mark of 2-26 set by the expansion Tampa Bay Buccaneers during the 1976-1977 seasons with a 1-27 mark that got four losses worse after Week 13.

In five full seasons under the Haslams’ majority ownership, the Browns have posted an NFL-worst 15-65 record. Factoring in the remaining games of the 2012 season after the sale was approved at an NFL Owners Meeting in Chicago, the Browns have gone 19-70 under the Haslams.

Also, with Buffalo clinching a wildcard berth in the AFC last December, the Browns have the longest-standing playoff drought in the NFL.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
So in other words people decided to comment before they had any clue what they were even talking about. Typical.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
It is possible that he is good at what he did and the fact that he is related the reason they were able to land him ??? You know shoe on the other foot. I don't see how this will effect the football side of the ball. Good to get new blood in and have the organization from the guy sweeping the floors to the CEO all on the same page and loving their job and direction!

jmho really don't understand the negatives when there isn't a negative presented except that its cool to pretend we know more and complain...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
So people can't voice any concern over a in-family hire especially when it's relates an EVP role and didn't move up the ranks in any NFL or other sports-realted capacity, regardless of what department he goes to? Furthermore, the article doesn't mention anything about role, but just lists his work backround. Hopefully there is some connectivity to what he has done in the past and it would make sense if that ended up being the case.

But I mean Jimmy has a great track record with hiring and keeping people, right?

______

Side note: I believe it has been mentioned on news outlets before that the "Johnson" is of the same Johnson Family that owns the Jets as Woody Johnson is his father. Doesn't mean much but it is an interesting tibit.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
So in other words people decided to comment before they had any clue what they were even talking about. Typical.

Kinda like you and the Browns drafting Baker Mayfield?

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I have no problem with the Browns drafting Baker Mayfield. I do hope some of his immature actions are behind him now. That's all I've ever really said about it. He did some pretty stupid things when he was in college. A lot of young people do stupid things.

But once again, this guy was hired to do some media BS. It has nothing to do with the team itself.

Yet the haters went straight for the throat without even waiting to find that out. lmao

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

I have no problem with the Browns drafting Baker Mayfield. I do hope some of his immature actions are behind him now. That's all I've ever really said about it. He did some pretty stupid things when he was in college. A lot of young people do stupid things.

But once again, this guy was hired to do some media BS. It has nothing to do with the team itself.

Yet the haters went straight for the throat without even waiting to find that out. lmao

Quote:
I have no problem with the Browns drafting Baker Mayfield.
Thanks for the laugh.

And tt's not straight for the throat. This was brought up about a year ago with criticism that Dadduh-in-law was bringing this guy aboard in some form or fashion. This guy has also said some pretty stupid/comtroversial things on twitter, and has now since retracted it, if I recall correctly.

A hater? Yeah I'm a hater of alot of decisions Jimmy Haslem has made. How can one not be skeptical?

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I just have no idea why anyone would be concerned or critical of a guy in the media department. Unless of course you're actually concerned about ticket sales? Mmmm. hmmm.

And maybe instead of laughing you could actually find anything other than me being concerned about Mayfields past impulse control and that I hope it's simply a matter of maturity at a young age. But of course you can't so it's better to throw out a one liner.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
I just have no idea why anyone would be concerned or critical of a guy in the media department.

Do we know if he is in the media department?

If he is, then yes, I will be very relieved that is the case. I even mentioned it several posts above praying that would be the case.

"you could actually find anything other than me being concerned about Mayfields past impulse control"

Ok, here are a couple of your posts regarding Mayfield if you want to go that route. But yeah, you were fine with picking him.

Quote:
As long as he (Mayfield) doesn't rise to us.

^ This is a good one considering you just said you didn't mind us taking Mayfield. rofl

Quote:
Yeah that's why almost every report has Mayfield listed third on the list of QB's in the draft. Because your word is gospel and they know nothing. Give us all a break. There is a draft forum on these boards.

Quote:
This is relevant because I'm certain 95% of the people here will be disgusted if the name on the card with the Browns #1 pick is Baker Mayfield

Quote:
Good luck with that on draft day. And it's not just my mind. Mayfield is usually ranked at least the #3 QB in this draft by most.

This is just a sampling. Seeing your responses to devicedawg were great. Again, thanks for the laugh.

Back to JW.....

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh you mean before the draft when everyone is pimping their own players. Not once the draft is over.

I got it.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
So you hated the idea of the Mayfield pick before the draft. Now, after he is selected, you have "no problem" with the pick? Talk about talking out of both sides of your mouth! This is really good stuff.

What else do you got for us today?

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Everybody's got your number. Of course people pimp their own players. Any moron knows that. lmao Well, almost any moron.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Everybody's got your number. Of course people pimp their own players. Any moron knows that. lmao Well, almost any moron.

Ah, yes. Resort to name calling when there is nothing left to stand on. Your above posts re: Mayfield and not wanting him (even though you claim otherwise) speak for themselves.

Back to JW.....

Has there been anything that confirms the role he'll have with the Browns? Anyone have something?

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Would he have been my chosen pick? No. But unlike some, I don't think I know more than Dorsey. And obviously you don't know what name calling is.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Don't back track now.....

Your posts show it all. You were not "fine" with Baker being selected. And there are plenty more posts where that came from. Just accept that you were correctly called out on it and move on.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
All you have is things that I thought before the draft. Like I said, Mayfield wouldn't have been my choice. Sorry you don't grasp the difference.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
All you have is things that I thought before the draft.

Um...yeah. That's the entire point. What?...so what people say about wanting a player or not wanting a player doesn't count or isn't of any value because it was said before the draft? What kind of logic is that?

What a cheap and disengenious way to approach your own opinion as well as the perceived opinion of others. Talk about a poor approach, generally speaking, to one's credibility as a poster. I didn't know posters could claim what they previously said about a player doesn't mean anything as long as they're "pimping" someone else.

What concept.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The concept you can't seem to grasp is that everyone decides on which players they would draft and why. Why they prefer their players over other players. So does everyone who wanted Barkley and didn't want us to draft Chub think it was a mistake to draft Chub? No, they don't.

Give it a rest. Your shtick is getting old.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
The concept you can't seem to grasp is that everyone decides on which players they would draft and why. Why they prefer their players over other players. So does everyone who wanted Barkley and didn't want us to draft Chub think it was a mistake to draft Chub? No, they don't.

Oh, I get it. The difference is, and I think you said you wanted Rosen, you bashed Mayfield before the draft (evidence posted above) but claimed you were fine with the pick earlier today.

Prefer certain players all you want- i don't care. Just don't try and lie about what you said about other players. It's pretty simple. The evidence is all in the above posts.

Attempt #3, back to JW.....

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
You get the last word. I'm fine with the Mayfield pick.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

From 2017....

Who is JW Johnson? Jason La Canfora says he’ll play a key role in the Browns’ reshuffling

Everyone here knows what we think of Jason La Canfora, so this post isn’t really about that re-hashing. While he reported on the disconnect with the Cleveland Browns’ front office, he finished his article with the following previously-unheard nugget on someone named JW Johnson. Who is that?

Quote:
League sources said ownership has already starting talking internally about how to move forward with a new regime in 2018. Owner Jimmy Haslam's son-in-law, JW Johnson, has continued to take a more hands-on role with the club, sources said, and he will be an integral figure in the reshuffling of the franchise, along with Haslam's wife, Dee, who is considered by many inside and outside of the organization to be the most powerful figure in the Browns hierarchy.

Here is what I could gather about Johnson’s background:

- He has a background in journalism and multimedia. He was an associate director/producer for CBS Sports for 15 years before becoming a Strategic Wholesale Sales Manager at Pilot Flying J from 2009-2013.

- After that, he joined RIVR Media, and then founded 3 Sons Media, a company that has developed a lot of in-game video packages for the Cleveland Browns and Tennessee Titans.

- Jimmy and Dee Haslam have three children — one son and two daughters. Johnson is married to one of their daughters, Whitney Haslam-Johnson. She was promoted to Chief Experience Officer at Pilot Flying J this year, and has been with the company since 2005. It appears that JW and Whitney got married in 2013.

- Interestingly enough, Johnson has a Twitter account. While he doesn’t tweet a ton about the Browns, after everyone made fun of the team’s botched trade last week, he said, “The deal didn’t happen and that’s business. Again Everyone Relax! Go Browns.” He also responded to an NFL.com columnist referencing the Browns as a dumpster fire with, “Have a little class and remember you work for the NFL!”

- Back in January, he also made it evident he wasn't a fan of La Canfora, saying, "Little people with little problems -- he'll be out of a job soon." and "This guy is a clown! #ZeroRespect"

You can see a photo of him below from Dee Haslam’s Facebook page — Johnson is on the far left, with his wife next to him and then Jimmy and Dee beside them.

There’s no telling whether Johnson will actually have more involvement with the workings of the franchise moving forward, as La Canfora insinuates. But, if his name starts coming up more, at least we have a little bit of background information on who he is.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2017/11/5/...wns-reshuffling

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
His mom believes he is qualified. Welcome aboard.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
hope he comes and tailgate with us like other Media people.

B
Legend
Legend
B
So people can't voice any concern over a in-family hire especially when it's relates an EVP role and didn't move up the ranks in any NFL or other sports-realted capacity, regardless of what department he goes to? Furthermore, the article doesn't mention anything about role, but just lists his work backround. Hopefully there is some connectivity to what he has done in the past and it would make sense if that ended up being the case.

But I mean Jimmy has a great track record with hiring and keeping people, right?

______

Side note: I believe it has been mentioned on news outlets before that the "Johnson" is of the same Johnson Family that owns the Jets as Woody Johnson is his father. Doesn't mean much but it is an interesting tibit.

Not when they don't know what they are talking about.

He is in media. A person doesn't have to work up with a football team to know what to do. It's the same in any large business.

You don't need to hire only CPS's who worked up with a football team. You don't need lawyers who worked up with a football team. Hell, the team has a chef. I am sure he didn't work up with other football teams.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I didn't say it just had to be a football team. I referenced the sports industry as a whole. My concern is his involvement if it goes to the football side of things, which we don't know yet. If he does the media route....cool, that's a relief.

And it will remain my concern until we get more info on it, and because, well, .....Jimmy Haslem.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Ok....fair enough, you said sports industry, I said football team.

John Dorsey runs the football side as I understand it. J.W. may end up as owner some day....or co-owner with his wife.

That's just the way it works.

Like I said in my first comment, nobody complains when it is Evan's and sons plumbing.

How dare Mr. Evans bring his sons in to the business.

It's a pretty common desire and practice for a family to keep as much money in the family as possible. Everybody in here either does, or would do if they owned a business.

Don't worry, I don't think we will see JW directing next years draft.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Like I said in my first comment, nobody complains when it is Evan's and sons plumbing.

[quote]How dare Mr. Evans bring his sons in to the business.

It's a pretty common desire and practice for a family to keep as much money in the family as possible. Everybody in here either does, or would do if they owned a business.

I think you're missing my point but no big deal. I don't really care all that much that he is bringing in family, although it does have a good ole' boy/cocoon hire feel to it, but yes I understand why he would do that--hire family in a family-owned business. Hell, he can hire his daughter to do something. And his wife taking a larger role organizationally is perhaps the best thing that has happened on a few levels. I'm just surprised at the EVP role all at once regardless of department. And I'll be shocked and disappointed if he goes to the football side of things. As we have seen with Jimmy Haslem, just because you have final say in the draft and roster, doesn't mean people haven't tried to make a move in decision making. Do you recall all the power struggles that have gone on under Jimmy, mainly due to position structuring and organization hierarchy? It's just another cook in the kitchen IF he ends up in the football side of things. The personnel side is the flashy side of the business and he could leverage his family ties and new EVP title to bend his ear more on that front instead of letting the current people do their job. It's a possibility is all I'm pointing out. It just has a weird feel to me. It did last year when this was reported and it hasn't changed for me.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
All's cool my friend.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What's wrong with that? It's a family owned business. Why wouldn't you bring family in to the business?

Evan's son is a crack head!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg

Evan's son is a crack head!

But it's okay, 'cuz it's plumber's crack!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum JW Johnson named Executive Vice President

Link Copied to Clipboard