Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
edromeo #1470257 06/30/18 09:28 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Schobert lacks strength and misses some tackles. I think some of his tackles are a bit late. However, the dude was a 4th round pick. I gotta give Sashi props for that pick. Very good value in the 4th round!. thumbsup

bonefish #1470269 06/30/18 10:41 PM
Legend
Legend
What is a run stop? Simply tackling the runner? or taking behind the LOS for a loss? I'm sure its just tackling the runner.

As fans, some of these stats that PFF come up with, we blow a little out of proportion.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
edromeo #1470287 07/01/18 01:24 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Are you saying there's a reason he was highly thought of enough to go to the pro bowl?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
edromeo #1470304 07/01/18 10:30 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
JC

Something that stats don't tell me is the tackles the other guy got because Joe processed the info quickly, saw the play in his head and changed the play entirely or shifted line and the "other" guy made the play.

Blake alluded to this in his presser. He also said he's probably the most intelligent MIKE he's ever been around and has a large capacity for information and etc.

Man if he could just keep doing that on top of making plays himself - we'll all see why some of the hype is justified. Some people just need to see tackle for losses, sacks and INTs to say yay or nay to the player, but there's so much more on the position.

JMO

CalDawg #1470410 07/01/18 04:48 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:
I wonder how long Burgess would last on the PS.

James Burgess linebacker Cleveland Browns performed admirably in 6 games + of fill in work for Jamie Collins last season.
Burgess showed adequate as a coverage linebacker even morso than he did as an against the run linebacker, where he proved not to be a weakness.

IMO, Burgess wouldn't last 6 hours on the PS and I'm confident the Browns know this and have no plans to risk his departure.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
It will be interesting to see how the LBer unit unfolds. We basically have 4 starters for 3 spots. I wonder who will be the odd man out?

Shocbert is a possibility, but I would not be shocked if something happens w/Collins.

I like to think they have 5 starters for 4 spots, as I always think of Nate Orchard as a true linebacker, (And one of the 3 best on the team)

No matter where he lines up or how they decide to use him.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I seem to remember Orchard seeming to be a little stiff, sort of See ball get ball,but only in a straight line and easily steered away from the play? But that might well have been him as an under sized DE? How much has he played for the Browns as a LBer? Am i having a brain fart? ...hope he is a viable contributor ..

The more things change the more they stay the same.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
It will be interesting to see how the LBer unit unfolds. We basically have 4 starters for 3 spots. I wonder who will be the odd man out?

Shocbert is a possibility, but I would not be shocked if something happens w/Collins.

I like to think they have 5 starters for 4 spots, as I always think of Nate Orchard as a true linebacker, (And one of the 3 best on the team)

No matter where he lines up or how they decide to use him.

I know sometimes I can be very critical, but most of the posters here are highly optimistic.

I would love to see our entire LB core has backups. I like Shobert and think he stands out, but most of it because our Lb's are not that good.

Honestly, I think probably LB position has been the weakest positions on the team. I only can remember one LB in recent history that was above average which was Willy Mac, all the other ones were average or bellow.

Last edited by rastanplan; 07/02/18 06:45 AM.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Shobert is another guy about to come into his third year after getting a ton of playing experience in his first two years...both a good thing (now) and a not-so-good-thing then (being a mid-rd rookie/youngster forced to play a lot.)

I regulary found myself quite frustrated with our LB play last year. Then I'd get around to remembering the following:

Shelton was our run-stopper who was regularly neutralized one-on-one. We traded him away;

Meder was lost for the season early on and is said by Browns coaches to be an excellent run-stopper;

The best DTs in front of Shobert were a 3rd & 6th Rd rookie and a UDFA picked up on waivers;

When Ogbah went out and while MG was out who the heck did we have on the filed in FRONT of Shobert;

Then Collins went out and another UDFA was standing nect to Shobert;

We had just switched defensive schemes...again;

Then the defensive backfield couldn't cover my Mom and the SS was standing in the lake.

I'm not sure anyone can properly evaluate ANY of our LBs based on that confluence of unbelievable obstacles on last year's defense.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

Shobert is another guy about to come into his third year after getting a ton of playing experience in his first two years...both a good thing (now) and a not-so-good-thing then (being a mid-rd rookie/youngster forced to play a lot.)

I regulary found myself quite frustrated with our LB play last year. Then I'd get around to remembering the following:

Shelton was our run-stopper who was regularly neutralized one-on-one. We traded him away;

Meder was lost for the season early on and is said by Browns coaches to be an excellent run-stopper;

The best DTs in front of Shobert were a 3rd & 6th Rd rookie and a UDFA picked up on waivers;

When Ogbah went out and while MG was out who the heck did we have on the filed in FRONT of Shobert;

Then the defensive backfield couldn't cover my Mom and the SS was standing in the lake.

I'm not sure anyone can properly evaluate ANY of our LBs based on that confluence of unbelievable obstacles on last year's defense.

Either that or our Lb's are not that good... because in order to be average they require a top notch DL and probowl DB's....

Honestly, the way we couldn't defend screen's, and require one safety to play close to the LOS could be a symptom of below average LB core.

Last edited by rastanplan; 07/02/18 10:07 AM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
There is an ocean of difference between our secondary last year and "probowl DBs". Our Dline wasn't as bad, but the same applies to them.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
There is an ocean of difference between our secondary last year and "probowl DBs". Our Dline wasn't as bad, but the same applies to them.

Secondary was bad because we had to play a safety deep so the other safety could play closer to the LOS...

And because Peppers and Collins suck, lack discipline and football intelligence...

The middle of our D was putrid, once it was exposed it was really atrocious to watch the way we were beaten by simple screen passes and basic PA....

Since our return the only good/excellent LB we had was Willy Mac, all the others were average at best.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

Secondary was bad because we had to play a safety deep so the other safety could play closer to the LOS...

And because Peppers and Collins suck, lack discipline and football intelligence...

The secondary was bad because our CB's sucked. Period.
That Safety was played so deep to try to keep things from getting behind us because we couldn't count on the CB's in any way, and Peppers was the only player athletic enough to cover ground fast enough.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

Either that or our Lb's are not that good... because in order to be average they require a top notch DL and probowl DB's....

Honestly, the way we couldn't defend screen's, and require one safety to play close to the LOS could be a symptom of below average LB core.

Hence this closing quote above:

"I'm not sure anyone can properly evaluate ANY of our LBs based on that confluence of unbelievable obstacles on last year's defense."

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

The secondary was bad because our CB's sucked. Period.
That Safety was played so deep to try to keep things from getting behind us because we couldn't count on the CB's in any way, and Peppers was the only player athletic enough to cover ground fast enough.

Then why did we get burned over the middle.... surprising little big plays conceded by the bad CB's.

Why couldn't we defend the screen pass?

We played with big cushions, and that tells us that our CB's suck, but the play on the field also tells us that our LB's were not that much better, specially considering that the other safety was helping the front 7....

Its like saying you have a good OL, when you have to play with a blocking TE and a HB, and then blaming the QB's and the WR's

Legend
Legend
Usually a glaringly good reason safeties are pulled way up. Same for way the heck off the LOS deeper than can be believed.

It would be nice to play something ain to "normal" alignments and depth. And be viable on D causing problems. Hardly the case last year.

I hate to think how it might have been without Joe Schobert! We might have lost a bunch of. . . .wait.

Go Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
We got burned over the middle because we couldn't cover anything, anywhere. I agree that our LB's lacked, sorely, but they are not why our secondary sucked. We were bad everywhere; there isn't a position group that gets a pass on such a terrible unit.... but, our secondary sucked because our secondary just sucked, lol.

Browns is the Browns

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
We got burned over the middle because we couldn't cover anything, anywhere. I agree that our LB's lacked, sorely, but they are not why our secondary sucked. We were bad everywhere; there isn't a position group that gets a pass on such a terrible unit.... but, our secondary sucked because our secondary just sucked, lol.

Truth. I'm not an Xs & Os guy by any stretch...however...our CBs played way off the ball (like way, way, way) and our SS was in the end zone. That reality/requirement stretched the field before the ball was even snapped...then the opposing offense actually snapped the ball and the field got even bigger.

That required our LBs to cover like CBs...like good CBs...the likes of which we didn't even have at CB last year...let alone at LB. The best coverage LBs in the league would have struggled to cover on this team last year.

Legend
Legend
Purp, brilliant, and I agree.

You are such a technician. Might be too technical for some perhaps LOLetc. But I agree with the insight. Our defense had no perimeters, anywhere consistently. We proved you don't need to set an edge if you have none, and the benefits of our corner play speak for themselves.

This year has to be better. Good post.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Bard Dawg #1470868 07/02/18 04:48 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
We proved you don't need to set an edge if you have none

rofl

This gave me a 'The Matrix' mental image, lol
"There is no spoon".

Browns is the Browns

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I have some thoughts on the D and the recent conversation.

--No way were our LBers even close to the worst unit on the team. Heck, they were one of the better positional groups.

--It was our FS {Peppers} who lined up really deep, rather than our SS.

--As many of you mentioned, our corners were terrible.

--We also had perhaps the worst set of coverage safeties in the NFL. Kindred graded well against the run, but both were awful in coverage.

--The above led Williams to use our LBers in coverage way more than he wanted to. They were asked to do some things that were crazy, but they were still a better option than our safeties.

--Our DL did not generate a lot of pressure. This was one of the reasons why we perhaps blitzed more than any team in the NFL.

--The other reason we blitzed so much is because I think Williams knew we couldn't cover anyone and he was hoping for quick pressures.

--Our run D was not as bad as some are claiming.

--I think we've upgraded the defensive talent and our D should be more solid this year.

--I don't think the winner of the SS battle [Peppers/Kindred] will be able to provide much coverage. We'll probably use them mostly to stop the run, blitz, cover zone areas, such as the flat, etc. That means our LBers will still be asked to do a bit more than normal, but it won't be nearly as bad as last year.

--I think a huge key for the D will be how well Randall plays at FS. We really need him to be at least adequate.

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Vers, I don't disagree with you, its just that IMHO, we have never seen good LB play in the Browns, and has a unit it has been (historically) probably one of the weakest areas of the team. LB's and Wr's... 2 o the most impactfull positions in football and that explains part of our lack of success. Actually did we ever draft a LB on the first round, apart from KW?

Also, we lined the FS deep to take away the big plays, and the SS closer to the LOS to stop the run and support the LB's...

I do not like Collins, Schobert is a good player a great pick, but he isn't elite, especially playing MLB where he does not have the measurable to face what the NFL now throws at the MLB position.

Kirksey is a good player also, but like Schobert much of the hype comes from us being such a bad team. He's solid, not stellar.

I know they are not supposed to shine, but we could use some top talent infusion, to set the tone and improve all the unit play.

Last edited by rastanplan; 07/03/18 05:25 AM.
Legend
Legend
LOL! Flattering that is. The irony overwhelms me sometimes.

Spoons. What color did you pick, Purp? You are a Matrix kinda guy . . . .

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
versatile, I do not know how many of thes criticisms of joe are accurate . but I do know this. In 2016 our rushing defense was 31st in the league in yards allowed. In 2017 we were 7th in yards allowed. I would never suggest that joe schobert was the single handed cause of this improvement. But it is impossible for me to imagine that our middle linebacker who played every down of every game did not play a large role in that improvement. for some fans it seems like if our guy is not hall of fame bound we don’t want him. I think joe is a solid mlb and if mlb is our weakest position next season we will be in pretty good shape.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Vers, I don't disagree with you, its just that IMHO, we have never seen good LB play in the Browns

NEVER is a long time ... Jim Houston, Charlie Hall, Robert L. (Stonewall) Jackson, Bam Bam Ambrose, Tom Cousineau, Chip Banks, Eddie Johnson, Mike Johnson, Willie McGinnis, Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson to name a few pretty good LB's superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Vers, I don't disagree with you, its just that IMHO, we have never seen good LB play in the Browns

NEVER is a long time ... Jim Houston, Charlie Hall, Robert L. (Stonewall) Jackson, Bam Bam Ambrose, Tom Cousineau, Chip Banks, Eddie Johnson, Mike Johnson, Willie McGinnis, Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson to name a few pretty good LB's superconfused

Sorry, I was talking of the sorrow excuse of the Browns we have been since the return...

The Old Franchise had great LB play and players.... (Dumervil, Lewis,Sugs) just to name the latter ones.

Last edited by rastanplan; 07/04/18 07:31 AM.
Legend
Legend
CLAY MATTHEWS thumbsup

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
GMdawg #1471496 07/04/18 01:31 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
CLAY MATTHEWS thumbsup

How could I have forgotten Clay
superconfused

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
bonefish #1471509 07/04/18 03:13 PM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I think Joe is a solid LB with room for improvement.

I think he has better physical skillset then he gets credit for having.
I don't think he has enough coverage skills to match-up man-to-man against the leagues best RB and TEs. But I also think he was asked to cover too often because he was better then back-up Safeties in nickel/dime situations.
He missed too many tackles and needs to clean that up.
He's not going to make highlight reel blow-up tackles but he gets people down.

On the whole I think the LBs are strength for the Browns.
And I think Kendricks is insurance against Collins health/performance.

bonefish #1471511 07/04/18 03:20 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
When we drafted Joe out of Wisconsin I said we got a big steal and I still believe that ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Oh MY!

Clay was great!

Hall of Famer? We can hope so.

DiamDawg #1471562 07/04/18 11:08 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
I have no clue on his power...but out of most variables its something easily improved on with hard work.

Do be honest more important in my eyes is correct angles over power. His intelligence would give him an edge on taking correct angles. He could end up being very average...but he could end up one of those unexpected great players, we will see.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
bonefish #1471624 07/05/18 09:54 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
my .02

give the drops of our CB's we effectually played a cover three.

That defensive scheme allows for WRs to cross the face of the CB and opens the field underneath giving room for in routes initially. When the LB's are then in forced deployment to add some depth and widths to their drops which eaves gaps for crossing routes and screens.

By Bringing a safety into the box in this alignment you hope to mitigate the open areas and allow for ILB to have more freedom to react - hence why Schboert had a high number of tackles , even if they were too far downfield for some likings.

The problems were furthered by as Vers said the cover ability of our safeties particularly JP. Now IMO some of the problems were again scheme related, at SS we asked that position to cover too much open space between the tackles and depth wise, the reason there is that JP not only played deep but VERY deep ( as we all know).

I got to see two games live this past year and a always I watched the defense almost exclusively , it was obvious that JP is not good in wide open space, his instinct level seemed slow bit it was masked somewhat by fluid hips and hos ability to stick and react, he is a one / two step to full speed recover player which indicates good athletic ability, but I also saw a delayed reaction, I liken it to a center fielder that gets that knuckleball line drive hit right at him and he hesitates on whether to move in or go back, I saw that in JP, is lack of instincts at the position seemed to put him in no mans land more often than not so he was late coming up and slow to move deep.

To me that was more lack of knowledge and confidence, But given his quick ability to change direction and to hit full speed his skill set seems more indicative of an in the box player than a open range.

Moving him to the box and taking advantage of that ability would allow for Schobert even more freedom to be moved around and to take advantage of his game smarts. I expect to see him more involved on the edge to be more active in shutting down screens.

I can see a 3-4 with Calhoun at FS and sending Collins from the outside off Garretts shoulder, bringing Schobert down to cover that vacated edge and shut down hot read swing passes and JP in the middle for that crossing route

JMHO

Last edited by texaslostdawg; 07/05/18 10:01 AM.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: texaslostdawg
my .02

give the drops of our CB's we effectually played a cover three.

That defensive scheme allows for WRs to cross the face of the CB and opens the field underneath giving room for in routes initially. When the LB's are then in forced deployment to add some depth and widths to their drops which eaves gaps for crossing routes and screens.

By Bringing a safety into the box in this alignment you hope to mitigate the open areas and allow for ILB to have more freedom to react - hence why Schboert had a high number of tackles , even if they were too far downfield for some likings.

The problems were furthered by as Vers said the cover ability of our safeties particularly JP. Now IMO some of the problems were again scheme related, at SS we asked that position to cover too much open space between the tackles and depth wise, the reason there is that JP not only played deep but VERY deep ( as we all know).

I got to see two games live this past year and a always I watched the defense almost exclusively , it was obvious that JP is not good in wide open space, his instinct level seemed slow bit it was masked somewhat by fluid hips and hos ability to stick and react, he is a one / two step to full speed recover player which indicates good athletic ability, but I also saw a delayed reaction, I liken it to a center fielder that gets that knuckleball line drive hit right at him and he hesitates on whether to move in or go back, I saw that in JP, is lack of instincts at the position seemed to put him in no mans land more often than not so he was late coming up and slow to move deep.

To me that was more lack of knowledge and confidence, But given his quick ability to change direction and to hit full speed his skill set seems more indicative of an in the box player than a open range.

Moving him to the box and taking advantage of that ability would allow for Schobert even more freedom to be moved around and to take advantage of his game smarts. I expect to see him more involved on the edge to be more active in shutting down screens.

I can see a 3-4 with Calhoun at FS and sending Collins from the outside off Garretts shoulder, bringing Schobert down to cover that vacated edge and shut down hot read swing passes and JP in the middle for that crossing route

JMHO

Great post, the only problem I see is that Offense players are getting bigger, faster, stronger, better catchers, in the middle...

We have a mismatch with most of the teams that is/was easy to exploit...

If you have paid close attention to our D, JP and Collins were a terrible combination....We need discipline and the fundamentals to be there in every play. We also need to add some range and physicality to the position, because that's the way the NFL is going right now.

JP does not know how to tackle, playing him closer to the LOS would be a mistake, specially with the new rules.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
agree 100% we need to add some physicality to the middle, I've been screaming that for years.

Disagree on JP, IMO he can tackle; I don't see that as an issue. His problem was in the open field, put him in a higher traffic area and he will thrive

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
agree 100% we need to add some physicality to the middle, I've been screaming that for years.

Disagree on JP, IMO he can tackle; I don't see that as an issue. His problem was in the open field, put him in a higher traffic area and he will thrive

He can hit, but he does not tackle.His tackle fundamentals are horrid, always were and he did not improve.

Number of tackles and big plays allowed because he was trying to hit and not tackle are amazing. He either tends to lower the eyes and throw himself head first or arm tackle....

His tackling fundamentals are bad, takes bad angles, takes himself out of position, etc

He was a good college player because he was so much more faster and physical than the other players,but not any more.

Legend
Legend

He can hit, but he does not tackle.His tackle fundamentals are horrid, always were and he did not improve.

Number of tackles and big plays allowed because he was trying to hit and not tackle are amazing. He either tends to lower the eyes and throw himself head first or arm tackle....

His tackling fundamentals are bad, takes bad angles, takes himself out of position, etc

He was a good college player because he was so much more faster and physical than the other players,but not any more.

I agree with you on his tackling fundamentals. He goes for "kill shots" far too often, and misses far too often. He's poor in coverage at any level. He is strictly a box safety type, but doesn't tackle well. He also doesn't force turnovers.

I agreed with Prisco (IIRC) when he gave the Browns an F for the peppers pick.

I would not be surprised to see Kindred hold onto his starting spot, because I just don't think that peppers has true NFL skills, outside of his return ability.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
bonefish #1471778 07/05/18 03:03 PM
E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
I think many in this forum underrate Peppers.
He was a rookie playing a new position and playing in a very extreme and atypical role at the new position.
Not many FS are asked to play the "Angel" role let alone a rookie that is new to playing Safety.

Pep did improve when he was moved to SS after Kindred was banged up.
But that's already been discussed and posted.

I think Peppers will beat out Kindred for the SS spot but I think both will see they field. I expect Peppers to have a solid season.

edromeo #1471868 07/05/18 06:52 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: edromeo
He was a rookie playing a new position and playing in a very extreme and atypical role at the new position.

This is the only reason I haven't joined the "he's a bust" crowd what little of a crowd that is. I think when he gets his reps, he best make them count at SS because I kind of think Kindred will beat out Peppers as starter. I will agree, both will see the field. Both may even see relatively equal snaps pending Peppers displays his talent at what is assumed a more fitting position.

Dawg_LB #1471885 07/05/18 07:20 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Originally Posted By: edromeo

This is the only reason I haven't joined the "he's a bust" crowd what little of a crowd that is. I think when he gets his reps, he best make them count at SS because I kind of think Kindred will beat out Peppers as starter. I will agree, both will see the field. Both may even see relatively equal snaps pending Peppers displays his talent at what is assumed a more fitting position.

Agree with both posts. Too early to call him a bust but he's not done anything in the NFL to impress notwithstanding he played a new position and deck was stacked against him .... But poor tackling and angles make me firmly in the "dude has to show me" camp. Hope he does progress.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Schobert

Link Copied to Clipboard