Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
Baker Mayfield just got pick sixed by Jermaine Grace. Peppers would have done the same two plays earlier if he’d have caught the ball.

https://twitter.com/AkronJackson/status/1029459572233306112
Mayfield sucks and Peppers sucks worse!!

Let's package them up and trade both of them for a 7th!!!!!!!!!!!!

brownie

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB
Baker Mayfield just got pick sixed by Jermaine Grace. Peppers would have done the same two plays earlier if he’d have caught the ball.

brownie

That's next year for Peppers and the year after for Mayfield. You're ahead of schedule.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Gotta beat Pdawg to the punch:

Quote:
BEREA, Ohio -- How committed are the Cleveland Browns to starting Tyrod Taylor at quarterback this season?

Let's start with coach Hue Jackson telling me Monday he doesn't plan to give No. 1 pick Baker Mayfield any first-team reps during the preseason, even after witnessing Mayfield's buzzy debut last Thursday.

"I have not changed. I'm not going to change," Jackson said. "Tyrod Taylor's the starting quarterback here, and Baker's the future of our organization."

Speaking as practice began the same day, Browns general manager John Dorsey flatly gave the same one-word answer -- "Nope" -- to a series of questions about whether he could envision a scenario in Week 1, or Week 9, or any other point this season in which Mayfield would overtake Taylor (who, by the way, had an impressive preseason start himself).

"Because Tyrod Taylor has demonstrated, one, that he's a good football player. He's taken the [Bills] to the playoffs," Dorsey told me. "I think he demonstrated it in the first series against the New York Giants that he's more than capable of leading this bunch. He's had a great offseason, he's had great OTAs, he's had a great training camp -- there's nothing that leads me to believe you would vary from that mantra. Because, as we've said, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

"This is for the betterment not only of the organization long term, but it's also better for the development of Baker, in terms of when it comes time for him to actually step on the field and play ... Guess what? He understands the complexities of a very difficult position. I think the adjustment will be that much easier for him to be able to recognize defense, understand the speed of the game. I think it's just a natural transition into that position. And why vary from the plan we have in motion right now?"

The story of the 2018 Browns isn't all about the quarterbacks, though that's certainly a core part of it in a place where Derek Anderson owns the only Pro Bowl appearance among 28(!!) QBs who have started regular-season games since the Browns' post-relocation rebirth -- now entering its 20th season with exactly one playoff appearance. There's another top-four pick, cornerback Denzel Ward, and last year's No. 1 selection, defensive end Myles Garrett. There's the saga of receiver Josh Gordon, whose rocky road back to the NFL has taken him to Florida for treatment the past three weeks, rather than here for practice. There's the spate of practice dust-ups, including a recent shouting match between offensive coordinator Todd Haley and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams. There's the trade dump of former first-round pick Corey Coleman, and a dalliance with Dez Bryant, and a roster reload since Dorsey's hiring in December that buoys Jackson's typical optimism, notwithstanding the infamy of 0-16 -- and a 1-31 record over the past two years with five different starting quarterbacks, none of them still on the roster.

"Tyrod Taylor, Baker Mayfield, Jarvis Landry, Joel Bitonio, David Njoku, all those guys, I'm excited about that group," Jackson said. "I look at defense and it's Myles Garrett and (Christian) Kirksey and Jamie Collins and (Mychal) Kendricks and (Joe) Schobert. I mean, we have some guys. Now, we've got to go play good. But I think we have a good start and we're headed in the right direction.

"I've wanted to win since I've been here. I didn't come here for any other reason. It just hasn't happened that way. So, on we go. But we're going to win now."

To do that, you need a quarterback -- and while the Browns have seen early signs they might have two, they're not backing off the pecking order, despite all history that suggests things are likely to change.

Of the 22 quarterbacks previously taken No. 1 overall in the common draft era, 14 started in Week 1 as rookies, according to NFL Research. Five others took over the starting job by Week 13. The outliers are Michael Vick, who made two spot starts in 2001; Carson Palmer, who didn't play a snap in 2003; and epic bust JaMarcus Russell, who started the meaningless 2007 finale. (All three started Week 1 the next year.)

Go back through summer sentiments about the top QB chosen in other drafts, and you can find almost identical quotes to what Dorsey and company are saying now. We've heard previous coaches and GMs talk about letting the likes of Blake Bortles and Mitchell Trubisky sit and learn as rookies ... only for circumstances to put the inexperienced signal-callers on the field within weeks. None of the other three teams that drafted quarterbacks in the top 10 this year have ruled out playing them as rookies; the New York Jets already moved up No. 3 pick Sam Darnold to first string in practice after his encouraging initial outing. John Elway, Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning, among others, turned out OK after playing immediately -- and not playing particularly well -- as rookies.

On the flip side, you can pick apart how many of those No. 1 picks didn't have a QB as accomplished as Taylor, 29, in front of them. And how many played on terrible teams. And how many failed to develop into franchise QBs after playing early -- Jeff George, David Carr, Tim Couch, Russell, et al. And what a transition it is going from Oklahoma's "Air Raid" offense to the NFL, no matter Mayfield's innate feel for the game and the praise NFL scouts offered before the draft for the job Sooners coach Lincoln Riley did developing Mayfield's understanding of protections, defenses, etc.

"I think we owe Baker the right opportunity, when he walks in, to hit the ground running with a team around him that he can go win with," Jackson said. "That's what we're trying to do. We've got Tyrod Taylor, who's going to start this thing and lead the group and play great football, and I think we feel very comfortable with that."

The excitement over Mayfield's debut -- 11-of-20 passing for 212 yards and two touchdowns, a performance NFL Network's Brian Baldinger called "one of the greatest rookie starts to a career that I have ever watched" -- isn't lost on Jackson. Or Dorsey, who was the Green Bay Packers' college scouting director when Aaron Rodgers spent three years backing up Brett Favre and the Kansas City Chiefs' GM when they drafted Patrick Mahomes to redshirt under Alex Smith.

"Yeah, but it's preseason," Dorsey said. "The complexities of a defense are very minimal, as we well know, right now."

Standing nearby, Browns assistant GM Eliot Wolf added: "And Tyrod had a perfect passer rating." Indeed. The veteran QB completed all five of his passes for 99 yards and a touchdown against the Giants. Browns QB coach Ken Zampese referred to Taylor this week as "an untapped player in the league" who's only going to get better in Year 8, with the first four spent on the bench in Baltimore.

No matter how firm the Browns are publicly, of course, every mistake by Taylor, every turnover, every loss is going to bring questions about when they might turn to Mayfield, 23. Taylor is used to that, having been benched (and quickly un-benched) last season with the Bills, who traded him to Cleveland in March for a third-round pick and visit the Browns on Friday. Fellow players are bound to hear it, too.

"We can't let it affect us in here. We can't let it affect our mindset. We know there's a lot of noise outside of this building and we've got to keep everything intact," receiver Jarvis Landry told me. "Bad games are going to happen. Interceptions are going to have happen. Tom Brady f---ing throws interceptions. But at the same time, it's (about) how do we respond from that? There's going to be negativity, but how do we respond?"

One thing the Browns accomplish with their stance is keeping each passing week with Mayfield on the bench from becoming a public referendum on his development, as it was for the Los Angeles Rams with Jared Goff a couple years ago. If Mayfield isn't playing, well, that's part of the plan. Then again, Goff didn't flash in the 2016 preseason the way Mayfield did against the Giants.

What happens if Mayfield simply outplays Taylor from here?

"Time will tell," Dorsey said. "We'll see."

Could the Browns trade Taylor, as the Eagles did Sam Bradford a week before the 2016 opener, clearing the way for No. 2 pick Carson Wentz? Could they simply go back on all these proclamations and turn to Mayfield at some point if they feel it's not going to compromise the big-picture plan? It'd sure make for an interesting conversation between Jackson and Dorsey.

For now, their message is clear: While the Browns believe they have a chance to start winning some games, finally, they're not going to compromise their future -- or Mayfield's -- for the present.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ign=Twitter_atn

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

brownie

brownie
That's next year for Peppers and the year after for Mayfield. You're ahead of schedule.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

brownie

brownie

brownie

O
Legend
Legend
O

brownie

Well... we do need draft picks.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

brownie

Well... we do need draft picks.
I know ... forget all of this "good in the season" talk, let's get back to our bread and butter

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

Watch two of the three fights that broke out between Cleveland Browns offensive and defensive players during Day 14 of training camp. Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Landry should be upset w/the first one IMO

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Pick sixed by ... Jermaine Grace?????? Mayfield sucks. He obviously has a noodle arm. We should cut him now ..... wink rofl

This is funny. Then again, the posts that have already proclaimed Baker as a franchise qb or who would start for any other team who drafted a qb are equally as funny. It's just that no one makes fun of those equally absurd comments.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Back to football..........sounds like Hankins had a good year last year. I know he was good at Ohio State and w/the Giants. He would be a nice addition to our rather weak DT group, provided we don't have to pay out the butt for him.

D
Legend
Legend
D

Watch two of the three fights that broke out between Cleveland Browns offensive and defensive players during Day 14 of training camp. Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018.

My best Mortal Kombat voice:

FINISH HIM!

Legend
Legend
I wanted Hankins last offseason ... to me, he's a good interior player.

Obviously he really wants more money than teams are willing to give

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Jc...

Just heard the Hankins news, I sure hope Dorsey plays it smart and signs him...Our biggest weakness on D is our DT...this will surely shore it up and give us a proven veteran run defender...will allow us to keep Coley and Brantley as our wave players...this would be an excellent addition...really excited about this one.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I sure wish you would post more.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I sure wish you would post more.

Thank you Vers,

Appreciate it as always...I'm usually around a lot during draft time (that's the best part of every year for me...football wise) I plan on being around more...specially if we can land Hankins and even a solid-good WR to our core...that will be immense, as I cant remember how long it has been since we had a FO going after real legit NFL caliber talent...well let's hope we get something done!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The media reports have been that he hasn't received a lot of interest, not that his money demands are extreme. Dorsey could try to sign him for the average starting salary of a veteran DL plus 15% to 20% premium on a one year rental. The team has the cap space to absorb that.

Legend
Legend
Updated: DL Johnathan Hankins' visit to the #Browns will take place tomorrow (Wednesday) https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/johnathan_hankins_will_work_ou.html

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks guard.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Nice. I'm excited about this. He could really help us.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: tru_dawgs
Jc...

Just heard the Hankins news, I sure hope Dorsey plays it smart and signs him...Our biggest weakness on D is our DT...this will surely shore it up and give us a proven veteran run defender...will allow us to keep Coley and Brantley as our wave players...this would be an excellent addition...really excited about this one.

I would surely entertain Hankins. Coley going down, IMO, was pretty devastating actually to the front, Hankins would instantly anchor it and provide an excellent run defender day one.

Now, saying that... with Coley here and obviously at a cheaper rate than Hankis "would" be here for, I would like a one year dear that's not going to make my jaw drop. Guard_dawg posed a deal I would get behind.

Ogbah Larry Hankins Garrett

I like it...

Last edited by Dawg_LB; 08/14/18 08:53 PM.
Legend
Legend
Updated: DL Johnathan Hankins' visit to the #Browns will take place tomorrow (Wednesday) https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/08/johnathan_hankins_will_work_ou.html
Honestly I'd rather sign him than Dez, if given the choice

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Honestly I'd rather sign him than Dez, if given the choice

I agree ... thumbsup

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Meanwhile the NFL Radio channel has an hour conversation Taylor v. Mayfield....

Nauseating..

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
So this exchange happened in camp today....

Browns OC Todd Haley yells at the defense for getting too close to Baker Mayfield.

Browns DC Gregg Williams responds: "Block 'em, then!"

rofl

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Meanwhile the NFL Radio channel has an hour conversation Taylor v. Mayfield....

Nauseating..
the media is doing its regular: trying to cause more QB controversy than is there. I hope Hue keeps staying strong.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If I were putting a percentage on my enthusiasm for signing either Hankins or Bryant here's how it grades out for me.

Hankins 80%, with the new secondary being unproven at this point I feel its mandatory that the team can defend the run well. That was our one strength last year we can't regress there.

Bryant 51%, I'm still concerned about the "fit" but when I consider that Gordon might not come in, we will need help on the outside especially in the red zone.

Legend
Legend
Browns sign DL Blaine Woodson

The Cleveland Browns have signed DL Blaine Woodson.

Woodson is a 6-2, 295-pound rookie out of Delaware. He was originally signed by San Francisco as an undrafted free agent on May 15 and was waived July 26. He recorded 159 career tackles and 14.5 sacks in college. Woodson is a native of Stroudsburg, Pa.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bro...medium=referral

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Woodson is a 6-2, 295-pound rookie out of Delaware. He was originally signed by San Francisco as an undrafted free agent on May 15 and was waived July 26. He recorded 159 career tackles and 14.5 sacks in college. Woodson is a native of Stroudsburg, Pa.

did we waive someone for this?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I guess this means we're not signing Hankins. frown

M
Legend
Legend
M

Quote:
The #Browns have no immediate plans to sign ex-#Buckeyes Johnathan Hankins, who worked out for them today, I'm told. Woodson is it for now.

https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1029789727791173634

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
dang

Legend
Legend
FS Damarious Randall being looked at by athletic trainer. Looks like lower leg injury.

https://twitter.com/ScottPetrak/status/1029824895054766084

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
FS Damarious Randall being looked at by athletic trainer. Looks like lower leg injury.

https://twitter.com/ScottPetrak/status/1029824895054766084
guh

Legend
Legend
Hue Jackson said he thinks safety Damarious Randall is ok after being hurt in practice but he’ll find out more later

https://twitter.com/ByNateUlrich/status/1029829729199771648

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Hue Jackson said he thinks safety Damarious Randall is ok after being hurt in practice but he’ll find out more later

https://twitter.com/ByNateUlrich/status/1029829729199771648
thanks

Legend
Legend
Damarious Randall walked off the field after practice not limping or with trainers.

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Hope his evaluation clears him for Friday night. Even if he gets cleared to play I'd limit his snaps against the Bills.

Legend
Legend
Training Camp Awards: Jarvis Landry takes home MVP and best play; Shon Coleman biggest disappointment

Training camp officially wrapped up Wednesday with the last of 15 practices open to the public. The Browns will keep a similar schedule as the preseason continues, but the preparation for the regular season picks up steam in the last half of August.

Here are my camp awards:

MVP: Receiver Jarvis Landry

In the running: Receiver Rashard Higgins

Comment: Landry in a landslide. He was the best player on the field more times than not and finished with a flourish.

BIGGEST SHOCK: Coach Hue Jackson’s decision to move Joel Bitonio from left guard to left tackle

In the running: The trade of receiver Corey Coleman to Buffalo

Comment: The Bitonio move was made before the preseason opener, so Jackson’s sense of urgency was obvious. Bitonio wants to go back to guard but is willing to take one for the team. The writing was on the wall with Coleman.

BEST TURNAROUND: Tight end David Njoku

In the running: Safety Jabrill Peppers

Comment: The drops were dragging Njoku down, then he started catching everything, including two touchdowns in the preseason opener. Hopes are high for a breakout Year 2.

MOST PLEASANT SURPRISE: Linebacker Mychal Kendricks

In the running: Cornerback Terrance Mitchell, Higgins

Comment: Kendricks burst on the scene and seems destined to take a starting role from Christian Kirksey or Joe Schobert.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT: Offensive lineman Shon Coleman

In the running: Corey Coleman, cornerback TJ Carrie

Comment: Shon Coleman opened camp as the starting left tackle but quickly lost the job. His roster spot is in serious jeopardy.

BEST ROOKIE: Quarterback Baker Mayfield

In the running: Cornerback Denzel Ward, receiver Antonio Callaway

Comment: Mayfield played like a No. 1 pick from the first practice and continued the strong start in the preseason opener.

BEST PLAY: Landry’s one-handed touchdown catch in the scrimmage. General manager John Dorsey couldn’t believe what he saw.

Close second: The one-handed grab Wednesday down the sideline.

https://www.brownszone.com/2018/08/15/tr...disappointment/

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
i never expected Coleman to keep the LT spot ... but I hope we keep him as a backup

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Training Camp part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard