Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Vambo Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Hue Jackson indicates he may make Drew Stanton his No. 2 QB over Baker Mayfield

As the world wonders if Mayfield should start, the Browns wonder if he should even be the backup

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hue-j...baker-mayfield/

After Baker Mayfield's impressive preseason debut last week, the NFL community wondered if the Browns might be better off starting the No. 1 overall pick over the current starter, Tyrod Taylor. Internally, the Browns aren't even considering playing Mayfield over Taylor. Instead, they're wondering if they're better off picking Drew Stanton -- not Baker Mayfield -- to be Taylor's direct backup.

On Wednesday, Browns coach Hue Jackson indicated that he's considering selecting Stanton to be his No. 2 quarterback behind Taylor, which means Mayfield would fall to the third team ahead of only Brogan Roback. Jackson said it'd be "a heck of a decision" if something happened to Taylor.

"I've said from the beginning that I think experience is important," Jackson said, per Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot. "Right now, Drew still has that experience, and we'll see how that all unfolds as we go. I haven't made that choice just yet, but his veteran presence says a lot. He's played in a lot of games against a lot of teams that we are going to start off against and play against so I think that is important to definitely consider."

Meanwhile, quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese pointed toward Stanton's win-loss record as a starter.

"He's the secret sauce," Zampese said this week. "I'll stand right here and say it. He's the secret sauce to the room and to the group. He's seen everything before and he's played enough to know exactly what's going through the starter's head. Shoot, as a starter he has a winning record. So he has a lot of input and a lot of influence on the way we think about things and the way we do things. He's fantastic."

Jackson and Zampese aren't wrong: Stanton has played in a lot of games (38 to be exact) and he's won more games than he's lost (11-6 in 17 career starts). But the idea that the Browns would consider playing Stanton over Mayfield, who appears to be as NFL-ready as a rookie quarterback can be, because he has experience serves as yet another reminder that there are serious questions about this coaching staff's competency.

Keeping Mayfield behind Taylor is a debatable move, but it's a justifiable decision. Taylor is a good -- not great -- NFL quarterback who just helped take the Bills (of all teams) to the playoffs. He's going to bring some much-needed stability to Cleveland, and he's going to give the Browns a chance to actually be competitive. The Browns just went 0-16. Wanting to be competitive in the short-term is a justifiable desire.

There's certainly an argument to be made that Taylor's level of play shouldn't matter if Mayfield also looks like he's ready to start Week 1 -- after all, Mayfield is the franchise's future while Taylor is nothing more than a bridge starter -- but starting Taylor is, at least, a defensible decision considering Taylor is a legitimate starting quarterback in the NFL.

Stanton isn't. In his 38 appearances, he's managed to throw more interceptions (24) than touchdowns (20) and post a 66.3 passer rating. He should be nothing more than a mentor to Mayfield and the team's emergency option. But for some reason, the Browns are considering playing him ahead of the quarterback they just took with the No. 1 overall pick, all because Stanton has "experience," even though his NFL "experience" has been worse than the Tim Tebow's, Brock Osweiler's, and Blaine Gabbert's collective NFL experience.

By the sound of it, Jackson hasn't made a decision yet -- Stanton is expected to get some reps in during the team's next preseason game -- so there's still hope that he'll come to his senses and pick the better quarterback to be higher up the depth chart than the worse quarterback. But given his track record with the Browns, we probably shouldn't expect him to make the common-sense decision. It shouldn't even be a topic of discussion, but here we are: Instead of wondering if Mayfield can push Taylor for the starting job, we're wondering if Stanton might beat out Mayfield for the backup job.

Last edited by Vambo; 08/16/18 01:25 AM.
D
1st String
1st String
D
Originally Posted By: Vambo
Hue Jackson indicates he may make Drew Stanton his No. 2 QB over Baker Mayfield

As the world wonders if Mayfield should start, the Browns wonder if he should even be the backup

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/hue-j...baker-mayfield/

After Baker Mayfield's impressive preseason debut last week, the NFL community wondered if the Browns might be better off starting the No. 1 overall pick over the current starter, Tyrod Taylor. Internally, the Browns aren't even considering playing Mayfield over Taylor. Instead, they're wondering if they're better off picking Drew Stanton -- not Baker Mayfield -- to be Taylor's direct backup.

On Wednesday, Browns coach Hue Jackson indicated that he's considering selecting Stanton to be his No. 2 quarterback behind Taylor, which means Mayfield would fall to the third team ahead of only Brogan Roback. Jackson said it'd be "a heck of a decision" if something happened to Taylor.

"I've said from the beginning that I think experience is important," Jackson said, per Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot. "Right now, Drew still has that experience, and we'll see how that all unfolds as we go. I haven't made that choice just yet, but his veteran presence says a lot. He's played in a lot of games against a lot of teams that we are going to start off against and play against so I think that is important to definitely consider."

Meanwhile, quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese pointed toward Stanton's win-loss record as a starter.

"He's the secret sauce," Zampese said this week. "I'll stand right here and say it. He's the secret sauce to the room and to the group. He's seen everything before and he's played enough to know exactly what's going through the starter's head. Shoot, as a starter he has a winning record. So he has a lot of input and a lot of influence on the way we think about things and the way we do things. He's fantastic."

Jackson and Zampese aren't wrong: Stanton has played in a lot of games (38 to be exact) and he's won more games than he's lost (11-6 in 17 career starts). But the idea that the Browns would consider playing Stanton over Mayfield, who appears to be as NFL-ready as a rookie quarterback can be, because he has experience serves as yet another reminder that there are serious questions about this coaching staff's competency.

Keeping Mayfield behind Taylor is a debatable move, but it's a justifiable decision. Taylor is a good -- not great -- NFL quarterback who just helped take the Bills (of all teams) to the playoffs. He's going to bring some much-needed stability to Cleveland, and he's going to give the Browns a chance to actually be competitive. The Browns just went 0-16. Wanting to be competitive in the short-term is a justifiable desire.

There's certainly an argument to be made that Taylor's level of play shouldn't matter if Mayfield also looks like he's ready to start Week 1 -- after all, Mayfield is the franchise's future while Taylor is nothing more than a bridge starter -- but starting Taylor is, at least, a defensible decision considering Taylor is a legitimate starting quarterback in the NFL.

Stanton isn't. In his 38 appearances, he's managed to throw more interceptions (24) than touchdowns (20) and post a 66.3 passer rating. He should be nothing more than a mentor to Mayfield and the team's emergency option. But for some reason, the Browns are considering playing him ahead of the quarterback they just took with the No. 1 overall pick, all because Stanton has "experience," even though his NFL "experience" has been worse than the Tim Tebow's, Brock Osweiler's, and Blaine Gabbert's collective NFL experience.

By the sound of it, Jackson hasn't made a decision yet -- Stanton is expected to get some reps in during the team's next preseason game -- so there's still hope that he'll come to his senses and pick the better quarterback to be higher up the depth chart than the worse quarterback. But given his track record with the Browns, we probably shouldn't expect him to make the common-sense decision. It shouldn't even be a topic of discussion, but here we are: Instead of wondering if Mayfield can push Taylor for the starting job, we're wondering if Stanton might beat out Mayfield for the backup job.

Not that big of a deal... its about getting people reps and improving chances to win. If they feel that DS needs reps to prepare in case he is needed during the season, then so be it. It shows that they are thinking of winning now or looking to use DS as trade bait.

Just the dawg in me..........
Legend
Legend
i said it somewhere else, but it wouldn't anger me to see Mayfield inactive the first few weeks ... I dont want him playing against Pittsburgh or at NO anyways

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
rofl ...

Good one Hue ...

Not a shot in hell Stanton starts or is active over Baker unless Baker’s hurt ...

Legend
Legend
Coach's call. Do whatever now. Non-coaches can't vote.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
rofl ...

Good one Hue ...

Not a shot in hell Stanton starts or is active over Baker unless Baker’s hurt ...

Agreed.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know. Going in to the season it might be the best thing. We will just have to see how it goes over the next few weeks.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't care what order they are listed in so long as Baker comes in if TT is hurt.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Much ado about nothing. I think Grateful posted the article that addressed this. It wasn't a big deal. Of course, a few of the usual Hue haters want it be a big deal.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Vambo
serves as yet another reminder that there are serious questions about this coaching staff's competency.

well, thank Godzilla we have this writer's input to clear up what the proper choices are.

How in the Hell did Haslam not hire this writer to be our Head Coach??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Means absolutely nothing.

Legend
Legend
I'm not sure this means much. Stanton didn't play in the Giants game so I have to believe they want to get him some reps Friday.

But the way that Mayfield played last week sure tells me they have a lot more to lose than to gain by putting him behind stanton, at least long term anyway.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Hue is trying to save his job. He is telling BM that if he plays well and works hard he will get demoted anyway.There is no reason for a 1-31 coach to still be coaching.

Legend
Legend
rolleyes

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
He is telling BM that if he plays well and works hard he will get demoted anyway.

I don't think this is remotely what Hue is implying by saying what he said. I think he was being coy in his response. I think if Hue had his finger on the proverbial button to play Stanton or Mayfield, it'd be Mayfield.

Tackles are tackles.
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
He is telling BM that if he plays well and works hard he will get demoted anyway.

I don't this is remotely what Hue is implying by saying what he said. I think he was being coy in his response. I think if Hue had his finger on the proverbial button to play Stanton or Mayfield, it'd be Mayfield.

Depends if its production or injury related. If its production I think Mayfield will be the one replacing TT, if its injury then Stanton will the one.

Stanton, IMHO, should be the backup QB, either for TT or BM, which makes BM the 3rd QB right now.

Last edited by rastanplan; 08/16/18 09:42 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

I don't think this is remotely what Hue is implying by saying what he said. I think he was being coy in his response. I think if Hue had his finger on the proverbial button to play Stanton or Mayfield, it'd be Mayfield.

I hope you're right.
I like Hue as a person but not as a football coach. He has the worst record ever at 1-31, and remember he is a Meder fingernail away from two 0-16 seasons in a roll. I know he didn't have the best personel but sheese a decent college team would have won more that one game.

Legend
Legend
If Mayfield is not the starter and it is your intention to PROTECT him through his rookie year and keep him on the sidelines to learn, then this is a good idea.

If he's the back-up, the first time Tyrod goes down he has to go in whether that's for a few plays, a few series, or a few games.. assuming he looks decent, as soon as Tyrod is healthy again we will have yet another QB controversy, which isn't good for anybody. So remove that temptation and make Stanton the #2..

I know some will take it as a knock on Mayfields ability and claim he can't beat out Stanton, but I seriously doubt that's true.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Hue is trying to save his job. He is telling BM that if he plays well and works hard he will get demoted anyway.There is no reason for a 1-31 coach to still be coaching.

1. Hue's not trying to save anything - he already has his job.

2. Hue's talking about the "here and now", not projecting what happens over the course of a season.

3. Hue's telling Mayfield that he needs to keep working hard to be a QB in this league, not that he's being demoted.

4. Hue is answering one in a line of dumb questions who's answer has no bearing on anything because they're "what-if" scenarios. Hue is showing respect to a veteran, mentor-role QB... as every coach in this league does. By doing this we end up with another dumb story... that's somehow twisted to tell the tale of "an incompetent coaching staff". Same old, same old. Anyone with common sense can read right through it.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Simply explained.

The Homeless guy didn't recommend him.

Addicted to QB controversy and negative Browns articles, this writer may be showing desperate signs of withdrawal. File it under "wishful negative thinking."

I suspect BM will continue working.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I concur. Mayfields priority needs to be to learn the NFL game and our playbook. He can't do that being the starter. He may not even be able to do that as the #2. 3rd string removes alot of that and frees him up for as much time as possible to learn and grow.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
It would be a stupid move unless its an automatic that anything happens to TT the starter is Mayfield. If he makes Stanton the starter...then I would lose a ton of respect. It's be different if the kid was struggling.

I think Hue loves TT a bit too much and would only do this to protect him.

??? Is this just bs journalism???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
If Mayfield is not the starter and it is your intention to PROTECT him through his rookie year and keep him on the sidelines to learn, then this is a good idea.

If he's the back-up, the first time Tyrod goes down he has to go in whether that's for a few plays, a few series, or a few games.. assuming he looks decent, as soon as Tyrod is healthy again we will have yet another QB controversy, which isn't good for anybody. So remove that temptation and make Stanton the #2..

I know some will take it as a knock on Mayfields ability and claim he can't beat out Stanton, but I seriously doubt that's true.

That is in line with my saying it would probably be best.

I will add that is early in the season. If we are in towards mid season then Mayfield should probably get the call. If it is just some plays to finish out a game, or maybe even anoither game, TT should come back if he was playing well. If it is 2-3 games and Baker is playing well, then the Baker era has started and there is no looking back.

I am a big Mayfield guy. I was in with only a few as to wanting us to draft him, but I see no pressing need to get him in right away. It took Bernie until around game 6-7 before he was inserted in place of Danielson.

There is no rush. Even if TT looks really bad he should remain the starter for at least 4-5 games.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
They’ll all get a chance to play if the Brown’s QB’s have a typical season. Moving on.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: gage
I concur. Mayfields priority needs to be to learn the NFL game and our playbook. He can't do that being the starter. He may not even be able to do that as the #2. 3rd string removes alot of that and frees him up for as much time as possible to learn and grow.

rofl ...

U guys and your imaginations ... good stuff ...

Stanton’s a BUM ... If TTgoes down ... Baker’s in ...

Ya’all can fantasize about “protecting” Baker all u want ... if TT goes down or falls flat on his face Baker is in ....

IF Stanton ever dresses itwill be because Baker is injured or he’s the “emergency” QB (the 3rd QB) ...

We’ll find out 9/9 who dresses and who doesn’t ... its a NO-BRAINER!!!

“Protect” Baker and play a BUM ... rofl ...

eotab #1488349 08/16/18 10:39 AM
Legend
Legend
Baker will be the backup, which is not what he wants.

Has anyone considered that Hue might be working a game, to keep Baker working as hard as he possibly can?

We know that Baker wants to start. We know he doesn't want to be the backup. So now Hue "threatens" to take away even that backup role.Incentive? I believe so. The message is to keep busting butt like he has thus far, and to stay in that playbook.

I go back to the end of the 1st half, and how we didn't run a 2 minute offense. The announcers opined that maybe Baker didn't know the offense well enough to run a 2 minute drill. I think that Hue is probably saying "If you can't do everything as the QB, you won't be even the backup.

It's not a slam on Baker, just more motivation playing into his underdog mentality.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
YTownBrownsFan #1488353 08/16/18 10:43 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
thing is he is working hard...he coming in early a.m. and leaving late p.m. What else do you want. He is already in the incentive zone cause he want to start. You don't punish people doing the right thing and everything you ask for. Just doesn't make sense. And if TT goes down its about Winning. Stanton does not give us the best chance to win. If this is about teammates starting to beckon for Mayfield to start and the locker room is getting divided??? I don't think that is how you handle it.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Why would u do thatif Baker looks like he can handle it and is ready ... u guys just want to do something for the sake of doing it ... thats just DUMB ...

All reports are Baker is doing everything he needs to and is progressing at a very good pace ... couple that with the success rookie QB’s have been having over the last couple years and the fact we have TALENT around him ...

If we had the jets QB room or the Jill’s QB rooms Baker would be starting in a heartbeat and rightfully so ... we happen to have a NON BUM QB or Baker would be starting ... AS HE SHOULD BE ,,,

If hes ready and needs to play to learn ... u play him ... your not protecting him your slowing his process up ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I don't think the fans' of good teams engage in this type of bullschizzle self-flagellation. We're like Pavlov's dog. Anytime the media rings their bell Browns fans start twitching.

BTW, Pavlov's dog actually started drooling at the sound of the bell but I didn't like the simile. LOL

Last edited by guard dawg; 08/16/18 11:01 AM.
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Hue is begging to be canned.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't hate Hue nor do I love him but I think he should STHU! Don't see the necessity in bringing it up until/if it happens. Hue says some stupid stuff....

Legend
Legend

Man. Read the quote and then read some of these comments, talk about taken out of context!

Quote:

And then there is the fact that he has been asked a question... people act like he just walked off the field parading a "Stanton is my #2" sign.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: FATE

Man. Read the quote and then read some of these comments, talk about taken out of context!

Quote:

And then there is the fact that he has been asked a question... people act like he just walked off the field parading a "Stanton is my #2" sign.

He should have said Baker is the #2 and Stanton is the #3.

I sure hope everyone here realizes Hue is a moron.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Hue knows its Cleveland and it wouldn't be right without a little QB controversy. Just sticking with tradition I guess lol.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

There's far too much logic in this post to overcome the raw emotion from most of our fans.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

Quote:

You're being reasonable, fair, and logical. That's against the rules.

It never ceases to amaze me how clueless some of our fans are.

At least the OP got what he wanted. A bunch of folks bashing Hue for something that is not even an issue.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Quote:

At least the OP got what he wanted. A bunch of folks bashing Hue for something that is not even an issue.

C'mon man! There is one guy on here bashing Hue...and I think he's just yanking your chain. The overwhelming response(s) to this article have been that the whole thing is a big, giant nothing.

Hue manages to deflect stupid questions pretty well...then sometimes he can't resist responding to a stupid question with a stupid answer. It happens...the reporters are always in the HC's face. I'm sure it gets old. You might want to consider conserving your Hue-Saving energy for something meaningful...this sure isn't that.

I'm much more interested in how Hue handles time/game management than his answer to a hypothetical question. It's time to start walking the talk.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Stanton can bridge a game or two, if Taylor goes down for Multiple weeks you will see Baker.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
Stanton can bridge a game or two, if Taylor goes down for Multiple weeks you will see Baker.

I wouldn't put any absolutes on it, actually.
I would say that as long as there is still value to be had for Baker to learn from another QB putting this offense on film against NFL defenses and situations, he will continue to sit. As that value diminishes, his chance of getting the nod will go up.

Browns is the Browns

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Quote:

C'mon man! There is one guy on here bashing Hue...and I think he's just yanking your chain. The overwhelming response(s) to this article have been that the whole thing is a big, giant nothing.

Hue manages to deflect stupid questions pretty well...then sometimes he can't resist responding to a stupid question with a stupid answer. It happens...the reporters are always in the HC's face. I'm sure it gets old. You might want to consider conserving your Hue-Saving energy for something meaningful...this sure isn't that.

I'm much more interested in how Hue handles time/game management than his answer to a hypothetical question. It's time to start walking the talk.

I am bashing Hue. Have you ever watched him coach an NFL game?
If you have, then you know why I am bashing him.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Hue Jackson indicates he may make Drew Stanton his No. 2 QB over Baker Mayfield

Link Copied to Clipboard