Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Allen booot's another one ! I'm just full of good news lately ! lol

I think he's just lost it mentally. Zero confidence.

They desperately need a healthy Andrew Miller for the postseason.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Allen booot's another one ! I'm just full of good news lately ! lol

I think he's just lost it mentally. Zero confidence.

They desperately need a healthy Andrew Miller for the postseason.

I agree - 2 freaking outs and he completely loses it. So frustrating. I've said this before, we miss Shaw a lot. I didn't like him when he was here, but he was a workhorse. And yes, we need a healthy Miller bad.

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Top of the 8th. One out.

Indians up 5-2.

Cody Allen in to pitch.

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Originally Posted By: rockyhilldawg
Top of the 8th. One out.

Indians up 5-2.

Cody Allen in to pitch.

Oh Lord willynilly

D
Legend
Legend
D
Cody pitched 2/3 scoreless, got a "Hold" in today's win. Hand got the Save, but even he gave up a solo bomb. I swear they must be using an altered baseball - maybe it has a superball core now. Oh well, magic number is 16.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Per MLB.com, Yankees acquired Andrew McCutchen from the Giants, dammit.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
So Tampa Bay tonight in Cleveland.

Last American League team not played yet this season by the Tribe.

Three in Cleveland and three in Tampa in 10 days.

Tampa is decent this year. It would be fine if Cleveland took 4 out of 6 in this home and away series.

But more importantly, it’s Sugerdale Dollar Dog Night!!!

Fun for the whole family.

Last edited by rockyhilldawg; 08/31/18 11:42 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M

On the contrary, those dollar dogs are nearly inedible. Took a bite of one once and it went right in the trash. It's a completely different hot dog than the normal one they serve.

I'd say that most importantly at tonight's game are the $2 beers (sure it's Bud Light, but I can live with that for $2) from 5pm-7pm in the right field district.

Oh and a beardless Kluber is on the mound tonight after his wife finally told him to shave it off.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

On the contrary, those dollar dogs are nearly inedible. Took a bite of one once and it went right in the trash. It's a completely different hot dog than the normal one they serve.

I'd say that most importantly at tonight's game are the $2 beers (sure it's Bud Light, but I can live with that for $2) from 5pm-7pm in the right field district.

Oh and a beardless Kluber is on the mound tonight after his wife finally told him to shave it off.

First, who said the One Dollar Sugerdale Dogs were meant for human consumption?

Second, in my prime I'd be parked at that $2 Bud Light kiosk in the right field district. I'd be primed for first pitch.

And lastly, thank god the beard is gone. Not because it looked bad, but I just didn't think it was smart to grow a big furry thing on your face during the season. (when you're having a Cy Young year)

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave
Per MLB.com, Yankees acquired Andrew McCutchen from the Giants, dammit.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
I cannot stand Sugardale hot dogs.

Give me Eckrich. They taste good, and are inexpensive.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

It's funny, everybody raves about the Hot Dog Shoppe in Warren and they use cheap-azz Sugardales.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D

Gotta be Nathan's or Hebrew National for me.

Legend
Legend

Same here... I give Hebrews the edge.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Ditto.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
I can’t disagree with the greatest American Athlete of the 21st century.

Joey “Jaws” Chestnut

Nathan’s it is.

By the way, look for Chestnut to win the the Bratwurst competition at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati this fall.

Uhh.. October baseball.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE

It's funny, everybody raves about the Hot Dog Shoppe in Warren and they use cheap-azz Sugardales.

The advantage they have is good chili sauce.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'll let someone else break the news....

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Indians win 3-0, magic number is 15.

Indians reportedly have acquired 3B Josh Donaldson.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/24539807/toronto-blue-jays-trade-josh-donaldson-cleveland-indians

D
Legend
Legend
D
Worth noting from tonight's Indians' game: Kluber now has 17 wins, tied with the Yanks' Severino for the league lead in wins. Hand got his 7th save as an Indian (31 overall), and perhaps most importantly, Cody Allen had his 2nd good outing in a row. He pitched one inning, striking out 2. His curveball was biting tonight - a very good sign, compared to the "cement-mixer" he had been throwing lately.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Dave, any more info on the trade details?

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Dave, any more info on the trade details?

Nope - Indians haven't acknowledged it yet. No reports on what they gave up.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It's a deal with Mark Shapiro. What does he normally try to acquire? Pitching?

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
If the Indians are taking on $4M of Donaldson's remaining salary, I would guess that Toronto isn't getting much in return.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dave
If the Indians are taking on $4M of Donaldson's remaining salary, I would guess that Toronto isn't getting much in return.

I would guess it's a low level org player. Nothing significant. Nobody even knows what Donaldson can do the rest of the year.

Legend
Legend
Josh Donaldson traded to Indians | Cleveland Indians
https://www.mlb.com/indians/news/josh-donaldson-traded-to-indians/c-292746468

CLEVELAND -- With a World Series crown in mind, the Indians pulled off a blockbuster deal on Friday night, reeling in Blue Jays star Josh Donaldson. Standing at his locker, Edwin Encarnacion's eyes widened and the Indians' slugger smiled at the mention of his former teammate's name.

Encarnacion knows first-hand the kind of impact Donaldson can have on a team.

"He's a great player, man. He's a great player," Encarnacion said after the Indians' 3-0 win over the Rays. "Everybody's going to be excited to see him here. He's a great guy. He's a great guy."

Cleveland acquired Donaldson and cash considerations from Toronto in exchange for a player to be named later, helping cover the remaining portion (roughly $4 million) of the third baseman's $23 million salary for this season. According to MLB Network insider Ken Rosenthal, the Blue Jays are sending $2.7 million. In order to add Donaldson to the 40-man roster, the Indians transferred center fielder Leonys Martin (out for the year) to the 60-day disabled list.

Donaldson -- currently rehabbing a left calf injury that has sidelined him since late May -- will be eligible for the postseason for the Indians, who are closing in on their third straight American League Central title. Players needed to be dealt prior to 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday night in order to be eligible for the playoffs with the acquiring team. In Donaldson's case, he went unclaimed on waivers before Toronto and Cleveland struck the deal.

Naturally, the Indians and Blue Jays have a four-game series in Toronto, beginning Thursday.

Due to the trade, Donaldson will not be eligible for a Qualifying Offer (estimated to be in the neighborhood of $17 million or $18 million). The 2015 AL Most Valuable Player will become an unrestricted free agent without Draft pick compensation tied to his signing.

In the wake of Friday's win, word spread throughout the Indians' clubhouse about the acquisition. While the deal was not official at the time, the players lauded the front office's efforts to make impact deals (both via trade and free agency) in recent years in an effort to halt Cleveland's 70-year World Series drought.

"We're definitely in our window right now," Indians second baseman Jason Kipnis said. "They've done nothing but back it up and brought in guys who have made more than a good impact on this organization and on the field. They've continued to do so, and with the right intentions."

Tribe reliever Cody Allen agreed.

"Hats off to them," he said of the front office. "For the last few years, they've done everything in their power to put this team in a position to win baseball games. They haven't failed yet. Pretty much every guy that has stepped foot in this clubhouse at the deadline or in the offseason has come in and produced in big ways."

Two years ago, the Indians sent a package of prospects to the Yankees to net relief ace Andrew Miller, who shouldered a heavy load in October, won the MVP of the AL Championship Series against the Blue Jays and helped push the club to the World Series. The following winter, Cleveland surprised the baseball world by giving Encarnacion a hefty contract in free agency.

Last year, the Indians landed outfielder Jay Bruce during the August waiver period, and he immediately gave the lineup a jolt and brought leadership to the clubhouse. Bruce famously delivered a walk-off hit for Cleveland's AL-record 22nd win in a row last September. Prior to the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline earlier this summer, the Tribe traded for All-Star closer Brad Hand and reliever Adam Cimber from the Padres.

"[The front office has] definitely done their job," Kipnis said. "That's all you can ask for -- for a front office to be all in -- and then have our back."

In Donaldson, the Indians are getting a three-time All-Star and two-time Silver Slugger who has finished in the top four in MVP voting three times in his career. Across the 2013-17 seasons between stints with the A's and Blue Jays, Donaldson hit .282 with a .901 OPS, averaging 33 homers, 32 doubles, 98 RBIs and 98 runs scored per season. In that span, he posted a 145 OPS+, indicating he performed 45 percent above league average.

This season has been a different story, though.

Due to a right shoulder issue in April and then left calf problems, Donaldson has been limited to 36 games. In that span, he has hit .234 with five homers, 16 RBIs and a .757 OPS in 159 plate appearances. This week, he went 3-for-5 in two Minor League rehab games for Class A Advanced Dunedin, belting a home run in his most recent game on Thursday.

With Double-A Akron headed for the postseason, and multiple other affiliates also in contention for the Minor League playoffs, it's possible for the Indians to consider having Donaldson continue playing in rehab games. When he does officially join the Major League roster, Indians manager Terry Francona will have to sort through a defensive puzzle.

After Friday's win, Francona would not field questions on Donaldson.

"There's nothing to say," said the manager.

Last week, Francona said that he did not want to move All-Star third baseman and AL MVP contender Jose Ramirez to second base. That is where Ramirez played down the stretch last year in place of Kipnis, who has heated up in the past few games, but has dealt with considerable offensive struggles this year. Kipnis, if moved off second, could possibly shift to an outfield or bench role.

Kipnis declined to discuss the trade's potential impact until he had a chance to sit down with Francona.

"I'll wait until I hear it for certain," Kipnis said. "And I'll wait until I talk to Francona to see what the plan is. Until it happens, I know nothing."

While Kipnis praised the front office, he added that he hopes Donaldson can quickly find his form after a season-long battle with injuries.

"Which Josh Donaldson are you going to get?" Kipnis said. "The good one, there's not much you can deny. He's one of the more impactful bats there is around the league. If it is true, hopefully he's healthy and ready to come in and fit in here and make a good impact on us.

"We're coming into September now. This is a playoff team. We don't have time to mess around or goof around. We want him to be locked in if he's ready and go out there and do what he can do."

Jordan Bastian has covered the Indians for MLB.com since 2011, and previously covered the Blue Jays from 2006-10. Read his blog, Major League Bastian, follow him on Twitter @MLBastian and Facebook.

Read more: Cleveland Indians, Josh Donaldson

Legend
Legend
good gamble with Donaldson IMO. He could make a difference

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
The Rays’ starting pitcher last night - Tyler Glasnow - is real good.

(the Rays just got him from the Pirates)

The Indians were lucky to beat him.

The Rays’ starting pitcher tonight - Blake Snell - is a lot better. And uglier.

The only reason I haven’t heard his name in the 2018 Cy Young discussion is his innings pitched - only 145 so far. If he gets in 50+ innings this month, he will be at the top of the Cy Young voting.

He was on the DL in mid-season but has been dyn-o-mite since returning.

Very, very tough game tonight. It looks like Cleveland is favored in Vegas, but I don’t think the Tribe is a favorite in this one.

We need a couple Indians to go on the warpath.

PS. I think Donaldson is a gamble at best. A huge maybe.

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
good gamble with Donaldson IMO. He could make a difference

Why not Crisp helped get a win vs Boston in 2016, Josh would be a better PH option than Guyer

J
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J
Experience always helps

R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Yeah. Donaldson is definitely an offensive threat if he’s healthy.

If he ever plays another full season, expect 30+ homers.

Maybe Francona knows a way to maximize the likelihood of Donaldson’s health.

Back in March, no one thought Brantley would see 500 at bats in a year again (he’s at 485 this morning). And that comes with an excellent .358 on base percentage. (his career OBP is .350).

So, who knows.

I think Donaldson is Irish.

Irish or Jewish.

( wink that's a joke for you non-genealogists)

Legend
Legend
Josh Donaldson is a $1.3m lottery ticket for the Indians, with a good chance for payoff if he can stay on the field and be in the lineup for high-impact October at-bats. An excellent gamble.

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/1035906575985205248

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Just a little future type stuff ..... usually under the radar ...... except for the headliner of this group ...

Cleveland Indians sign Jose Baez Ramirez, younger brother of All-Star Jose Ramirez | cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss...ncart_big-photo

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Cleveland Indians announced Friday they have signed 16-year-old infielder Jose Baez Ramirez, younger brother of two-time All-Star Jose Ramirez, as an international free agent out of Bani in the Dominican Republic.

The club also inked infielder Henyer Gomez out of Loma de Cabrera in the Dominican as part of MLB's International signing period which runs through June 15, 2019. Ramirez and Gomez turned 16 on Aug. 30 and Aug. 26 respectively, thus becoming eligible to sign.

Jose Baez Ramirez is listed as a 5-foot-9, 146-pound switch-hitting infielder, while Gomez is listed at 5-7, 145. They will work out of the club's baseball academy in the Dominican.

Cleveland spent more than $5.5 million in July signing seven players including shortstops Gabriel Rodriguez, Junior Sanquintin and Angel Martinez.

At that time, the Indians also signed shortstop Jesus Lara from Venezuela, infielder Dayan Frias of Colombia and outfielders Sterling Romero of the Dominican Republic and Luis Osto of Venezuela.

D
Legend
Legend
D
So Jose Ramirez's brother is also named Jose. Interesting. If he makes it to the big club, he'll have to be called JB (pronounced "Hay-bee). wink

D
Legend
Legend
D
Assuming Donaldson is healthy, at the very least he will be a big asset in postseason match-ups with the likes of Boston's Chris Sale, David Price, Drew Pomeranz, the Yanks' Jay Happ, Zach Britton, Aroldis Chapman, and Houston's Dallas Keuchel. We won't have to watch Yonder Alonso flail away at those tough lefties.

If the Indians decide to put Donaldson at 3B and move Jose Ramirez to 2B, I'm not sure its a good plan to put Kipnis in CF. With Brantley in LF and Melky in RF, those right and center field gaps are going to get very wide with Kipnis in CF, imo. None of those guys cover a lot of ground, or take especially good routes to balls in the gaps or down the lines. But Tito would know that better than me, so I guess we'll see.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Appreciate the effort from the front office in trying to maximize this run.

Legend
Legend
Francona has spoken to Ramirez and Kipnis about Donaldson coming aboard. Jose ready and willing to go to 2B. Kipnis was not “jumping for joy.” Will start taking fly balls in center.

https://twitter.com/twithersAP/status/1035985751761211398

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
2-0 good guys right now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
R
Francona needs to tell Lindor to stop giving impromptu interviews.

Lindor deriding Indians fans at the stadium who booed Cody Allen’s implosion in relief on Wednesday made Lindor look arrogant.

Mr. Smiley needs to focus on playing baseball.

And if he doesn’t snap his current 0-for-three games (and 1-for his last-15) streak he’s gonna get booed.

Then what’s he gonna do, throw a hissy fit?

D
Legend
Legend
D
You prefer players who don't have their teammates backs? I get that Cody Allen has been really bad lately, but he is our all-time saves leader. He has been really good for a long time, and we are going to need him to make a deep run in the post season. It was bush league for fans to boo him after another rough outing, IMO. But then again, I'm not a booing kind of fan. The only time I ever booed a player was when it was obvious he was dogging it.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Indians - 2018 Stretch run

Link Copied to Clipboard