Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
I saw a team that didn't quit, even when things were going to crap in the second half. They hung in and put themselves in position to win.

We're trying to throw the ball downfield and he checked the ball down to Trent Richardson and the Indians on the choice.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
[quote rusty AB and Ben. ]

What? [/quote]

Ben and AB are rusty, they havent played a single down in the preseason. You could tell that, but the way it took over the first half before they got going.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Landry did some nice things today but he wasn't great, if that's the price for a tie, so be it.

I wanted to see more Chubb.

Tyrod absolutely sucked. The line wasn't great, but taylor never stepped up in the pocket. That's what he needed to do. He's so afraid to turn the ball over.

Gordon wasn't supposed to start but he started. Nice misdirection by Hue. He's our best receiver if we could get him the ball.

Special teams is our worst unit. They are awful.

Ward is worth the price of admission.

Garrett is good, but he seems like a non factor vs the run.

Peppers sucked I thought. Especially on special teams. Lining up in lake Erie still...I guess we still lack talent?

Overall the defense wasn't good. A lot of years but a lot of turnovers. I guess that's a trademark of a Williams defense?

6 takeaways, we should have won easily.

We are better than 15 teams. So that's better than the past 15 years after wk 1.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Tyrod Taylor shows why hes on his 3rd NFL team. he lacks the ability to anticapate targets getting open. hes a true bridge qb. nothing will be won with him
Chubb ran hard and physical. I can see him getting more work
did Zeitler pancake anyone. he is way OVERPAID.
I saw the dline get gashed again and the lbers are way too slow
to fill.and hit. Jamie Collins sucks big time.they missed Burgess today.
defense played lights out other wise

Legend
Legend
Landry was our best WR today. 7 catches for like 107 yards.

Perfectly on pace for 100+ catches for a 5th straight year.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep, and his fire got us going. That deal w/Artie drawing two penalties on one play was classic. Juice got into his freaking head, both literally and figuratively. LOL

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Some of them were circus catches too. Especially when you factor in the weather/elements.

D
Legend
Legend
D
WAY OVERPAID ... rofl

PS, did he get yardage for the 15 or 30 penalty yards he ALL BY HIMSELF caused by PANCAKING the db ... thumbsup

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: myka
I saw some of the most horrendous playcalling ive ever seen. I really hope Haley gets it together

I saw Hue botch clock management yet again giving the Steelers 9 seconds to maybe pull a miracle for no reason. (We didn’t have a TO so even a muffed snap wouldn’t let us rekick)

I saw the player I wanted to draft (TJ Ward) dominate us all day. (Our guys were great too but that kick block hurt my soul, while Peppers botched the punt for us)

I saw a TON of talent on our team that needs time to gel.
TJ watt, for a guy you wanted to draft, you should know his name.

Phone autocorrect. Nice nitpick.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Some of them were circus catches too. Especially when you factor in the weather/elements.

How about that catch that was behind him and he scoops it just off the turf and then rolls for an extra couple of yards? Dude is awesome!

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C

Would rather we stop trying to get it to him on drag routes and try getting it to Flash.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Landry did some nice things today but he wasn't great, if that's the price for a tie, so be it.

Your biggest gripe was his yards per catch ... he averaged over 15 yards a catch yesterday ...

Yup ... not only did we NOT COME CLOSE TO OVERPAYING for VICE GRIPS with that one line above it shows just HOW OPEN MINDED U ARE ... thumbsup

PS. Did u listen to the game? .. if so, u must have stepped out to go get a beer when the announcer talked about the TUDE and EDGE Landry has brought to the team ... well either that or U SIMPLY IGNORED IT or have NO CLUE how important and how much that particualr intangible brings to a team ....

maybe u oughta take off the hate glasses and try your open minded ones when it comes to Vice Grips .. u don’t need the crystal ball glasses u use when it comes to Bake ... thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Yep, and his fire got us going. That deal w/Artie drawing two penalties on one play was classic. Juice got into his freaking head, both literally and figuratively. LOL

That was good. But I have a question, it just may be ignorance on my part.

The first penalty was the unnecessary roughness, where Artie got his panties in a twist because of a clean (and yes, enthusiastic, but still clean) block. Then when that flag was tossed he took off his helmet and got the second flag. Was that second flag not a dead-ball foul and then both penalties be assessed? Obviously not, as we had to pick one or the other.

Last edited by CapCity Dawg; 09/10/18 07:40 AM. Reason: spelling

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
It was a dead ball penalty, but you can only take one of them. We declined the first one and accepted the dead ball penalty because it meant that Burns would be ejected if he received another one.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
It was a dead ball penalty, but you can only take one of them. We declined the first one and accepted the dead ball penalty because it meant that Burns would be ejected if he received another one.
I thought taking your helmet off and throwing it was auto ejection. Maybe I am wrong.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A Tie is truly a Bitter /Sweet situation ..lol .. We didn't loose , played nose to nose with a play-off caliber Team . Made a come back and killer D stand.. Felt good for the team ..

Other-side is some what negative ; will wait for another day .

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I also heard they said the Browns never changed the snap count on ST once the entire game, and that's why the Stoolers got the jump they did on the FG block. So what they are saying is....if we would have changed the snap count - they would have been offside and we would have got a free play and 5 extra yards. . . . seems about Hue.

V
Legend
Legend
V
That isn't on Hue. It's one the Special Team's coach. Man, will you stop w/the constant negative agenda against Hue?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Thanks, I figured as much. I totally get why we picked the penalty we did. Was hoping to see Burns lose it again. Taylor trucked him pretty good at the goal line.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
That isn't on Hue. It's one the Special Team's coach. Man, will you stop w/the constant negative agenda against Hue?
Man, will you stop with the constant love affair. The buck stops with Hue, sir. he sits in the chair. Its on him. Care to explain the poor time management at the half and End of Reg? Or is that not on hue either?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm taking that as a no.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'm taking that as a no.
Im taking that as you cannot explain his time management thought process.

go ahead and put your reputation on this board behind hue. FYI, wanna make a gentlemans wager hue is 1-3-1 after 5 games and Haley takes over by mid season.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
So will read the posts later. What I saw.

QB: I was rather disappointed in TT I expected more, a lot more. I think his hands were too small and he didn't have control of the ball. His accuracy was TERRIBLE.

I know I am biased but if Mayfield was starting this would have been a blow out. Hope Hue isn't caught in a promise.

Its the accuracy issue for me. Balls caught thrown at his ankle, Landry on a simple out keeping YAC to a minimum.

We had Gordon open long down the sidelines and we are not talking 40-50 yards down field. It seemed TT threw with all his might and the ball could not exceed 20 yards down field as it looked back should but Gordon had a step on him he had to air it out ahead for a big gain or TD.

That one drive TT did just throw the ball up and our WRs fought for it. Culminating in a Great Catch by Gordon on a toss up just inside the cones. Our only TD pass of the day.

Everything else on Oh seemed to be there. OL did a good job.

I was happy with the work that Harrison did. Our Run blocking was excellent the 2nd half.

Defense: We could be looking at the beginning of the BEST DEFENSE our Browns have ever had. Keep in mind our biggest asset is team speed on the DL. In a Wet, wet field yesterday that speed was definitely dampened yes, sorry for that but it just fit so perfect.

Garrett, A FREAKING BEAST!!! I can't believe we have the single most Impact player in the NFL. Guy almost won the game with his play. I love the way he tackles and goes for the ball.

Shame that a ticky tack, touch on a player (block in the back...smh yeah Refs great call) That would have had us close to the 10 and an easy End to the game.

Our missed FG just was kicked too low and blocked. Ugggh we had this game despite the poor play by TT.

Ward our overall #4 pick in the draft. I have maintained this kid is going to be great. What an amazing INT for the first of 6 turnovers to our advantage. I think Collins might have had the INT if Ward did not? But the kid had excellent coverage all day and was a sure tackler.

Oh man I was screaming for Schobert to score on that last INT. Every line of defense played awesome. Line meaning level. LOS DL, 2nd tier LBs, 3rd and 4th tier DBs.

We did get sealed a lot in the run game. But I think the rain had a lot to do with that as we didn't penetrate like we can.

Hyde and Chubb looked good. I wish to have seen more motion from Duke and use him in the pass game. I think we started the game with 11 straight passes for Minus 1 yard??? We had WRs open. The scheme was good. As noted very very disappointed in what TT gave us. I will give TT a pass cause of the solid rain throughout the game. But keep in mind we play out doors and the all Important December games are in cold and by the LAKE environment. Hopefully by game 3 Mayfield will be ready and Hue will have the gumption to make the call!

I was very impressed by Randall at FS and the few plays he was out as he got a little banged up Boughty Calhoun did a great job in his place. Very very happy.

ST was OK not good and not bad. That returner I think from Trubisky's college team had an advantage from the rain as he could change directions quickly.

Peppers made a fair catch that he should not of but he knew it and in the scheme of things wasn't that big of a deal. Colquitt was solid in his punting.

Our tackling was pretty good and our team speed was still evident despite the rain.

This game was ours!

What did you all see? Well I'll get to reading them right away. wink

Again thought I would try it this way. As posters in the past would state they couldn't wait for me to make the thread.

Couldn't help to read the first post by Throw Long objecting to me making the thread...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
IS it me, or where there about 4 missed flags against pitt....when i say missed, i mean refused to call them. Then, the flags we DO get, are late, its almost like they are waiting as much as they can to screw us over.

I think they even picked one up. But this was the most calls that I can remember against Pitt so wasn't that bad. Still I think the game actually was decided on that Block in the back call on Schobert's INT return the guy dove and was touched in the back by Garrett as he dove but by no means did Garrett push him and caused him to fall...smh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77
I saw us play toe to toe with the Steelers. I saw us create a plethora of turnovers. I saw an ugly weather game where both teams made a lot of mistakes but I also saw a lot of good. We had a pass rush and our secondary looks good. We ran the ball well and that bodes well for later in the year. I saw our rookie corner Ward show why he was selected #4 overall.

I will take a tie this early in the season against the division winner and our arch rival. Good job Browns!!!!

All true but still like kissing your sister. No fun in that. A game we should have won but in the past we lost these games at the end. So I'm hoping this is a sign of good things to come!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
A very Opportunistic Defense. Offense needs work. We ran the ball. Taylor, Hyde, Chubb all made positive yards running the ball. Landry more than 100 yards receiving. Ward is NOT a bust, 2 INTs. Garret had 2 Sacks. 7 Turnovers by Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh came in expecting a win, acted arrogant, as always, and left trying to figure out what happened. I like it .....

I didn't like TT's run first attitude. I hope most of this was due to the rain cause if he does this all season, he will not last. I love Mayfield but I really don't wish him to get on the field due to injury.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie
I saw the stealers do every thing they possibly could,short of scoring for us,to lose this game.
But,in typical loser,choking Browns fashion,we couldn't win.
I see another ugly,ugly season ahead.

Gee, I understand glass half filled thought process but man, your cup doesn't even have a drop in it.

Got news for ya, we are undefeated going into our 2nd game, we don't get to say that often. How you see this as UGLY???
Well to each their own.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
That totally PO'd me. Where they gathered at our Goal Post and mocked our colors...on a ST tackle no less.
Typical Steeler fashion of laughing it up thinking they got a laugher at their grasps...so glad we put it in their face man got to finish that for the win but I guess I'll take it considering in the past we would have laid down and have an ugly defeat!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The D got gashed on run plays .. Meder might have looked good up front in that rotation .. Schobert moved and out of position a bunch .. I really like the guy but he can't cover the TE or running back for squat .. Collins seemed to disappear .. Big drop off between our number one and number two Corners .. Having said that , the play of our secondary is much improved ..

Legend
Legend
Collins had a chance to make a game changing play and didnt

I still can't get over the stupidity of Garrett shoving that guy in the back.

We would have had the ball at the 10 yard line.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
The D got gashed on run plays .. Meder might have looked good up front in that rotation .. Schobert moved and out of position a bunch .. I really like the guy but he can't cover the TE or running back for squat .. Collins seemed to disappear .. Big drop off between our number one and number two Corners .. Having said that , the play of our secondary is much improved ..

Yeah, the comment about Meder is a big one for me.

Jamie looked like he got gassed and or had cramps. He indeed disappeared, but thankfully we had Avery on deck. He was beyond impacting the game and should see more reps.

The biggest thing for me is the flags. Offense, defense and ST. We've always been this team and done it. I'm really sick of it. Get some discipline.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
i saw Tyrod....well, look like trash. he held the ball way too long. didnt trust his receivers, and looked like he didnt trust his arm. obviously the rain had something to do with it, as big ben also tossed 4 picks. but still, he has the arm strength. use it.

For me it looked like he didn't trust himself. Lost confidence in himself. Afraid to Lose the game instead of Looking to win the game. He still had an INT and a fumble (not lost) so much for NO MISTAKES. I didn't see the veteran benefit.

Play calling...lol - actually he called a good game, we should have lit it up in the beginning as we caught them trying to commit to stopping the run and we just had terrible execution.

There were many times We had WRs wide open. It was pretty bad by TT and I was surprised that his hands are 10" measurable cause he seemed to not throw the ball well at all and thought his hands were small and had to squeeze the ball.

But we had good play calling with WRs open all over. The run game came alive the 2nd half, 1st half it was all TT for Run yardage.

Landry was is excellent. Felt bad cause he had to make a lot of catches stopping his momentum and then get hit.

Randall really looked good at FS, can't believe Packers played him out of position. But I think it was good experience for him. D was excellent...loved their game.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
good point about Randall. Outside of one play to Juju (the longer one IIRC) he was a good addition for us.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Dean
P.S. i’m Sick of reading and hearing about Colin K. and Nike. This is an NFL football discussion board not a “Black Lives Matter” or MAGA rally. Can’t we just talk Browns & NFL football and leave the noise out of it, please?

My bad...on me before the game and I included it. Glad almost all posts went to What they saw.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E

??? could have sworn he caused the fumble by Conner not too bad for a NON FACTOR wink

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/ga...all-to-red-zone

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: eotab

??? could have sworn he caused the fumble by Conner not too bad for a NON FACTOR wink

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/ga...all-to-red-zone
Not to mention, the single play that turned our team and momentum around. Lets be honest, this was the most pivotal play in the game.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Actually thought our #2 Corner played well. Mitchell had excellent coverage.

2nd half they adjusted well against our D and had a good seal for the off tackle run.

Please note we are a Attack the gap defense with DT Speed the rain definitely prevented from us dominating those gaps. I couldn't be more happier on our play on the Defense. Thank goodness.

Last season we had THIRTEEN, yes 13 turnovers created all season. We have 6 already and lead the NFL by a wide margin alread as the best turnover differential. I can't stress how important that is, Big time!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

D
Legend
Legend
D
The best part to me are the 4 turnovers forced that were a direct result of us beating a damm good OL ...

MG strip of Conner
MG strip of Ben
Avery strip of Ben

Huh ... maybe it was only 3 we caused by being in the backfield ..

Can someone help me get to 4 please ... *LOL* ...

Either way against that OL thats A GREAT SIGN FOR THE FUTURE .. thumbsup

C
Rookie
Rookie
C
I saw Joe Hayden's arm all over Gorden's head on that end zone pass in 3rd qtr.
I saw our rookies make rookie mistakes with Chubb missing a blocking assignment on a blitzing LB and Robinson having multiple offside calls.
Collins looked slow to me.
Taylor needs to get rid of the ball quicker or face getting injured scrambling too much.
Garrett and Ward had a good games.
Peppers looking much better.
Our defense kept us in the game.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I saw an offensive line that needs a lot of work. Whether it is just a matter of time working together or what, it was not very good. They could not open holes for the running backs until late in the second half. Pass protection, I know people will complain about the 7 sacks & additional pressures, but TT was holding the ball a LONG time. Which segways nicely into...

I saw TT hold the ball a LONG time. Without the benefit of seeing the all 22, it is difficult to say whether receivers were not getting open, or if TT just couldn't survey the field well &/or pull the trigger. I'm guessing the latter, as many of the throws he DID make were not into tight spots.

I saw 2 TDs taken off the board when TT underthrew by ~1yd. First was Gordon in the middle of the endzone, broken up by Haden. If that pass makes it to the back of the endzone, it was 6. Second was some kind of slant/seam route that Njoku is breaking free from defender when the ball was in the air. But it was thrown short, defender knocks it down.

I saw Chubb probably lose playing time after poor pass pro. Not a surprise for a rookie RB, but this job will be lion's share Hyde for awhile.

I saw (or at least I think I saw) Duke get that last carry before the FG try in OT. That was a bad playcall by Haley/Hue, but made worse by choosing Duke as the one to slam it up the gut.

I saw Ward show good instincts on his first INT. Nice to see someone not only do their job, but also have a feel for what is about to happen.

I saw defenders who were around and aware when balls were in the air and on the ground. Seems like we've missed out on a ton of picks and fumble recoveries in the past because our guys weren't paying attention or they weren't swarming to the ball. That wasn't the case yesterday.

I saw Garrett get penalized 3 times, 2 of which impacted the game negatively. This is something I hope he cleans up with NFL experience, because he obviously impacts the game positively most of the time.

I saw our LBs fail to avoid/get off blocks to stop Conner. There was a stretch there that we couldn't get him down within 5 yds of the LOS. That is something I loved when I watched Mychal Kendricks...blockers had a tough time getting their hands on him. Our LBs seem solid, but just don't penetrate/shed well on run plays.

Browns fans are born with it...
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 21 Steelers 21 What I saw Game# 1

Link Copied to Clipboard