Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think Philly should try to acquire Shady McCoy. Dude never wanted to leave Philly in the first place. Chip Kelly ran him out of there.

Shady knows Peterson's offense and has thrived in it in the past. He is also getting older and is expensive, thus Buffalo might be willing to deal him because they are not going to the playoffs this year.

if they did that, its going to ignite that offense instantly.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep.

D
Legend
Legend
D
That’d be a smart move all the way around ... Jills need to re-build and shady would be valuable to Phili ...

Anyone have any thoughts on whats wrong with Phili this year? ... any clue why the struggles even with wentz back? ....

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
That’d be a smart move all the way around ... Jills need to re-build and shady would be valuable to Phili ...

Anyone have any thoughts on whats wrong with Phili this year? ... any clue why the struggles even with wentz back? ....

Wentz hit his ceiling, he peaked, defenses are onto him. He's not Baker Mayfield. tongue

yebat' Putin
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
not that I think its going to happen, but a lot of people saying heck no.....lol

every player not named brady is tradable. your telling me if someone offered you a 2nd round pick for duke, you wouldn't take it? I like duke, but lets be serious. . . . .we need a #1 WR. If we can get one via trade for Duke or a pick high enough, Dorsey will trade anyone.

Legend
Legend
j/c... I see no reason to trade away our talent unless someone makes us a ridiculous offer.

Just because we have 3 RB's does not mean we are so flush with players that we can send some to other teams. This isn't Madden. Madden is not reality. It is a long season and things happen. Additionally, each one brings something a little different to the table and we've been able to take advantage of that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The problem with this thread is it's a joke to think any team would pick up the contract of a 3rd string RB who rarely sees the field except for 3rd down with a deal pays him more than at least 8 (25%) other starters in the NFL. Duke is not better than any of the following and would in fact be their backup at best.

Duke Johnson CLE signed 2018 4-yr deal for 16.3 million with 7.7 guaranteed.

Ajayi PHI signed 2015 4-yr deal for 2.5 million no guarantee
Howard CHI signed 2016 4-yr deal for 2.58 million no guarantee
Drake MIA signed 2016 4-yr deal for 3.5 million no guarantee
Crowell NYJ signed 2018 3-yr deal for 12 million with 6 million guaranteed
White NEP signed 2017 4-yr deal for 12.69 million with 4.69 million guaranteed
Conner PIT signed 2017 4-yr deal for 3.09 million no guarantee
Cook MIN signed 2017 4-yr deal for 6.35 million no guarantee

Now I don't disagree with the notion that Duke has a role (though limited) with the Browns currently but he is grossly overpaid and the guarantee of 7.7 million basically makes him untradeable.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
No way. Duke is the best offensive player on our team.

Yeah I said it. It’s not his fault they aren’t getting him the ball.

When they do he always breaks AT LEAST one tackle. Great hands, burst speed and never puts the rock on the ground.

Is he the difference in winning? He was a big part of it vs the Ravens.

Legend
Legend
With Higgins out, is there a way to get Duke the ball more to offset those look Higgins would get? Can we tailor or shift the gameplan a bit to use what we have a different way without having to bring in a part-time WR?

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: steve0255
The problem with this thread is it's a joke to think any team would pick up the contract of a 3rd string RB who rarely sees the field except for 3rd down with a deal pays him more than at least 8 (25%) other starters in the NFL. Duke is not better than any of the following and would in fact be their backup at best.

Duke Johnson CLE signed 2018 4-yr deal for 16.3 million with 7.7 guaranteed.

Ajayi PHI signed 2015 4-yr deal for 2.5 million no guarantee
Howard CHI signed 2016 4-yr deal for 2.58 million no guarantee
Drake MIA signed 2016 4-yr deal for 3.5 million no guarantee
Crowell NYJ signed 2018 3-yr deal for 12 million with 6 million guaranteed
White NEP signed 2017 4-yr deal for 12.69 million with 4.69 million guaranteed
Conner PIT signed 2017 4-yr deal for 3.09 million no guarantee
Cook MIN signed 2017 4-yr deal for 6.35 million no guarantee

Now I don't disagree with the notion that Duke has a role (though limited) with the Browns currently but he is grossly overpaid and the guarantee of 7.7 million basically makes him untradeable.

I don't know that he'd be untradeable, Teams have to deal with current money situations, and both Duke & Crow represent current money situations with RBs (who are once again key players.) The other contracts are "old news" in that they no longer apply to how contracts will be structured moving forward. In other words, I don't think his contract would be as prohibitive as you might think. That said, I don't think he's going anywhere, we just cut the deal with him, we clearly want him here. JMHO

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I don't think I would trade him, just bc I think his potential holds a value that is nearly impossible to quantify. And I don't think Hyde is going to be a part of this franchise in the long-term, imo he's kind of a bridge player similar to TT..

But, if Dorsey deals him, at this point, I trust his judgement. It would be silly not to...

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Id trade him for an above average lb or dl in a heartbeat

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
My question is why would Philly want Duke when the have Sproles and Smallwood. Both are very similar to Duke.

I think Philly would want a bigger back to replace Ajayi.

My thoughts as well. I'd trade Carlos if the price was right. He is going to be behind Chubb soon enough.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

I think Philly's problems are:

--Wentz is still working his way back. He suffered a major, major injury.

--The OL is struggling just a little bit.

--They are not running as much, partially because they have suffered a lot of injuries.

--The DL, other than Fletcher Cox, is not performing as well.

--The secondary is not very good and are being exposed because the DL's issues.

--The Super Bowl hangover might be a real thing.

D
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
D
Can't get back to everyone but some very good thoughts. Makes for good discussion at the least.
My thoughts are we keep Duke but we gotta find ways to get his talent on the field. Like someone said he is grossly over paid for a third back and that's what got me to make this thread.
He can catch and he runs good routes from what I can see. Get his rear in the slot let's get the ball in his hands.
Higgins being out just might make this feasible. It sure doesn't seem like it's gonna be in the backfield.
To much talent (money as well) to waste IMO.

If the loss of Higgins doesn't lead to more snaps I'm at a loss.
He then just might be a trade candidate at the deadline. It's the only thing that would make sense.

Thoughts on the trade deadline possibility?

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Originally Posted By: Deepsouthdawg
Can't get back to everyone but some very good thoughts. Makes for good discussion at the least.
My thoughts are we keep Duke but we gotta find ways to get his talent on the field. Like someone said he is grossly over paid for a third back and that's what got me to make this thread. He can catch and he runs good routes from what I can see. Get his rear in the slot let's get the ball in his hands. Higgins being out just might make this feasible. It sure doesn't seem like it's gonna be in the backfield.
He then just might be a trade candidate at the deadline. It's the only thing that would make sense.

I agree with all of that...
We certainly dont get him enough touches and he can be dynamic. Im not sure why he is not more involved in the gameplan...frustrating.

L
Legend
Legend
L
My thoughts are we keep Duke but we gotta find ways to get his talent on the field. Like someone said he is grossly over paid for a third back and that's what got me to make this thread. He can catch and he runs good routes from what I can see. Get his rear in the slot let's get the ball in his hands. Higgins being out just might make this feasible. It sure doesn't seem like it's gonna be in the backfield.

I think of Duke as our second back, but one who can be used in space - and in certain situations, as a surprise - very effectively. I don't believe Baltimore was expecting a Duke carry when he broke off that 15-yarder in OT. They might have expecting pass in that situation.

From his demeanour at times on the field this season, I think he feels like he's overlooked occasionally.

Vers mentioned his route-running abilities might not be up to snuff for a slot guy.

Chubb sucks in pass protection, he whiffed on the punt block a couple weeks ago and at this point I consider him the third back.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
T
Originally Posted By: thriller

I agree with all of that...
We certainly dont get him enough touches and he can be dynamic. Im not sure why he is not more involved in the gameplan...frustrating.

Maybe as kick returner.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
No

I should clarify the above answer. Obviously we should listen to every call, but the price the Eagles are probably willing to pay is not worth trading Duke Johnson.

D
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
D
Do we know what Philly would pay?
Do we know what we would take?

Just questions for the sake of discussion.

C
Legend
Legend
C

No and no.

My guess is they would offer something like a fourth round pick. I don't know if we would trade him unless the Eagles massively overpaid. It would send a horrible message to the team to trade a veteran when the team is highly competitive.

D
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

No and no.

My guess is they would offer something like a fourth round pick. I don't know if we would trade him unless the Eagles massively overpaid. It would send a horrible message to the team to trade a veteran when the team is highly competitive.

We do know he isn't much involved in the offense though and it begs to question is he more valuable to another team than what we getting from him?

B
Legend
Legend
B

No. You never know what is offered or what we would take until a deal is made.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
My thoughts are we keep Duke but we gotta find ways to get his talent on the field. Like someone said he is grossly over paid for a third back and that's what got me to make this thread.
He can catch and he runs good routes from what I can see. Get his rear in the slot let's get the ball in his hands.
Higgins being out just might make this feasible. It sure doesn't seem like it's gonna be in the backfield.

Duke was on the field for 40+ snaps. The coaches must see something to warrant that. He's going to get his chances.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I know they said it hasn't happened, but I wonder if Philly eventually offers for Leveon

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Just to clarify, what degree of use would define Duke is involved. He had many snaps. I think he sees more use when possible down the road. What would you need to see him as involved and a keeper. I would entertain and consider a seriously rich offer, but not now.
He gives us too many abilities if the OC ever showcases more of them.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
As a GM you would always have to listen to offers but I believe Duke is a weapon that can be used more than he is. If we traded him right now it would have the same negative affect we had with the Joe Haden trade last year. I say keep him and use him even more in the O especially as a receiver. WE need him more than any other team.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
for those of you scoring at home everytime Duke touches the ball hes averaging only 6.1 per touch this season.
thats great if your getting the ball on 1st down.
but hes a 3rd down back.
so if you are facing 3rd and 7 or more chances are Duke wont get the 1st down.
if Duke had all this amazing skills etc how come hes not returning kicks?
you would think for a unit lacking playmakers he would out there according to the hype and praise he gets here.
the problem with Duke is hes a tweener.
he lacks vision and a 2nd gear to be a good RB and hes
limited as a route runner to be a threat at WR.
he cant high point the ball and his radius is not huge.
if Haley thought he gave a extra dimension on offense he would have had it figured out after 5 games.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

In all honesty, I'm not sure Haley and Hue have figured out how to use Duke in this offense with Bake at QB.

Baker is used to extending plays like he did in college and it is leading more sacks than than most NFL qbs take. Baker is still slow at reading the blitz and knowing where to go with the ball when the pressure comes.

One area that Duke excelled in over the past two seasons was as a dump off receiver..catching those quick passes just over the LOS and turning a dump off into positive yardage.

That does not mean that Duke is the only RB capable of being a dump off option..but he may be the Browns best rb used in that fashion.

Also, Duke is able to fill the role of the check down receiver playing the slot position, too. With the Browns WR corp a bit thin due injuries, this might be a good time to use Duke more as slot receiver.

Fitting Dukes talents into this offense is something Haley and Hue need to figure out. Working with Baker to improve his ability to read the blitz and dump a pass off to the check down receiver rather than always trying to extend the pass play himself will help extend Backer's career and reduce the number of sacks our QB is giving up.

We need to keep Duke and consider using him in the slot position, imo...mac

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Hue and Haley have extensive resumes
they know to posotion players and get the most of of them.
maybe Haley should get Duke involved early and often out on the edge.
jet sweep....direct snap...bubble screen.
I just dont see anything he does extra special that makes him elite

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

So let me get this straight. We have three pages of replies to a made up scenario by a poster when there's zero evidence such a scenario has even been proposed by Philly. Is that right?

It's amazing how such a thread can take off when your team is playing well. lol

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
D
Just thought it made good discussion Pit. Guess what....it did !

I thought we had good ideas and opinions.
Thanks to all that partaked.
GO BROWNS !!!

Legend
Legend
I had wanted him on the field more snaps, on a wing or a slot, especially slot, or used in a double slot or twin setup. He needs to get some screens, quick pitches, wheels, something in the open. I also wanted to point out that he can block well and seems solid in pass protect. I think he has plenty to give if Huey & Haley could figure out how to use it. To expect or demand that Duke must be an exceptional elite to be kept when we can't figure out his skill set and don't involve him is a major disconnect IMO.
Find a few things he can do for us and use him. But this was kind of silly chat. Raw fiction.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
2nd String
2nd String
B
Can’t see trading Duke. Very talented player that hasn’t gotten enough reps and given his WR skills and our issues at that position... let’s just say that’s been a mistake. He’ll get some opportunities now and will thrive. Looking forward to the Baker to Duke connection!

No way I’m trading Hyde until Chubb can pass block effectively.. Chubb is the future but he’s not ready.

Legend
Legend

I'm guessing if we were talking RBs with Philly, the name HYDE would come up before Duke ever enters the conversation. They need Carlos Hyde.

Chubb's not ready and Duke couldn't carry the load (for either team), trading Hyde would be dumb, so no RB deal with the Eagles.

We'll start to see the Baker to Duke connection this Sunday in earnest. You can't keep this guy out of the playbook much longer. Baker is ALWAYS giving Duke props for his hard work on the field, whether he's getting touches or not. I really think we'll see some new wrinkles this week.

Imagine a thread 12 months ago talking about Duke possibly being expendable? Mind officially blown. We've come a long way.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
All Pro
OP Offline
All Pro
D
I would love to see some new wrinkles for Duke.
Higgins might have opened that option for him.
He has the skills just haven't found that niche in Haley's offense .
Here's to it happening this weekend !

GO BROWNS !!!!

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
I'm starting to think Duke is vastly over rated...

I think we retained the wrong RB...

Would gladly be proven wrong.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
very overated.
yeah he caught alot of passes in a Deshone Kizer Cody Kessler led offenses.
not that hard to do at all.
you might get a 3rd pick for him.
the truth is hes not a difference maker.
hes not gonna hit a hole and go 56 yds.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Duke averages 4.2 yards per carry and 9.3 yards per catch. The only thing over-rated here is the value placed on their opinions by the previous two posters.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
what is his ratio of tds to actual times he touches the football?
has he ever had a multi td game?
hes a well compensated role player.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Do we dare entertain a Duke trade to Philly?

Link Copied to Clipboard