Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1530019 10/15/18 09:20 AM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I saw a team that was Out Coached and Out played. I even saw something that was very disappointing and that was our TEAM QUITTING for the first time in 3 years.

Many disappointments. We actually were in the game until and I will get this out of the way EARLY. Until another amazing Call or should I say NONE Call that ended our game much earlier as mentally we checked out from there on.

It was a pass and the LT Okung??? almost a full second before the ball got snapped started his kick drag going into pass pro. The entire Stadium Saw IT!!! The Announcers saw it and couldn't believe the none call. Everyone saw it but the TWO LINE JUDGES positioned on each side line at the LOS as well as the Umpire and the Referee who were positioned in our backfield. All able to make the call. It was so obvious that the entire DL stopped and stood still and possibly our DBs as well. A Wide open WR was hit on a deep post for the score to now go 21-6 (I think 6 or was it 3???) But up until that point we were pretty competitive.

Their first score was a sign for things to come as they simply made 4 runs at very large chunks....boom, boom, boom, boom TD.

Their second score after we stopped them a couple of times was on two plays. both 40+ and both back to back were Posts. Boom, Boom TD. Other than that we were getting them on 3 and outs and on Offense we were moving the ball and winning the battle of Field position.

Then came the NONE CALL...how can Professional Refs...4 in the line of duty to see and call an OBVIOUS infraction. One that I actually never saw in a NFL game...Oh I've seen Fraction of a second missed. But this was so early and obvious. What is going on??? From that point on I saw our team hanging their heads and were negative in their walk, game and enthusiasm.

Did we make big time mistakes to lose MOST DEFINITELY but there is no mistaking that this was the point of MENTAL NO RETURN for our team.

Mayfield. Game Plan was a good one and worst yet executed very well. Now we will see if the NFL copy cats off of it.

The Chargers game plan was to Place a Defender either via a stunt or blitz in all the Passing Lanes. Taking away Mayfields avenue of throwing lanes and rendering the pocket as a mess. We had no answer for it except for some decent runs.

We only had 3 WRs in action not counting the TEs or Duke.
2 of the 3 were rookies. Ratley and Calloway. The Game plan along with taking out the passing lanes was to jam our WRs early an throw their routes off kilter so that quick throws just were not there and for the first time rendered Mayfield to actually LOOK LIKE A ROOKIE. Mostly holding onto the ball too long and getting sacked often and pressured almost ALWAYS.

A couple of drops early but for the most part the WRs hung onto the ball.

I am getting very very disappointed with LANDRY. He was the one I saw QUITTING. For example he had a 3rd and long running an out pattern, his route running was very lack luster the entire day...but in this case he had a small step ahead of the defender on an out. Mayfield under duress put the ball out there where only he could catch it. In a very LAZY action Landry just put up ONE ARM instead of leaping and getting two on the ball he just stuck out the ONE and have it kareem of that one hand for an incomplete! HE GAVE UP ON THE BALL AND DIDN'T MAKE ANY Effort to make the catch for the first down.

Also on one of the INTs he just again under duress a deep out to the left and Mayfield rolling out to the left not by design but the pocket broke down and his body was going left and he had to throw off of that back foot while rolling left. The pass was just a tad behind Landry. Again he put forth no effort to attack that ball to either catch it or make sure nobody else did.

He also was the first that I saw with his head down and showing major NEGATIVE VIBES.

Meanwhile Njoku, Ratley, Calloway and Duke all fought hard on every play they were in!

I think Landry has packed it in cause he is not putting the effort out there for his route running and his catching ability that was suppose to be like GLUE HANDS is looking more like Quincy Morgan! He is losing me FAST...and is the definition in my mind of an OVER RATED PLAYER and FA paid mercenary that instead of LEADING THE TEAM as Advertised...he is looking like a MALCONTENT. Not liking him at all and he is not living up to his billing.

Njoku seems like a different WR with Mayfield out there and is quickly becoming his favorite Target. Ratley and him connected 6 times on 8 targets. Duke did well also...

Defense after the game was sort of over (that 3rd TD giving them 21 points) it was as if I was going back in time for LOMBARDI...you got a Seal here and a Seal there and the OFF TACKLE RUN had a gaping hole - ALL DAY LONG! The worst display of Run D that I could see...and once we lost Schobert there was absolutely no defense on that run.

A team effort but the biggest Culprits in What I saw...Collins who had outside containment and often was in place to make a play would MISS THE TACKLE! The Other was Kirksey who was simply taken out and eliminated from that Gap one or two yards from the LOS and engulfed by an OL man or a TE simply totally out of that gap and no where. This happened OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN...throw in a couple of Jett Sweeps just looked like a bad HS game. We made no adjustments.

Team Effort, yes. Ward missed some tackles there and I know Peppers Wiffed on one run I'm sure his fans that don't like him will double and triple that miss...but I only saw one wiff.

Talking about Peppers, we threw away an AWESOME effort he made on his returns. I think their punter was kicking LINE DRIVES cause Peppers would get the ball pretty early and short often ON THE RUN catching it and getting good returns... 50+ in 4 returns, putting us in very good field position time and time again!

Duke utilized mostly in the 4th quarter showed excellent results in space catching and running. We did a lot but could not put anything together for long. Again we had no answers for their Game plan. Ergo my comment about being OUT COACHED.

One thing I am seeing throughout the NFL...all these trick plays especially on Goal to Goal are just plays that are out smarting the team running it. And its not just us it seems to be across the board in the NFL. Any Reverse pitch trickery seems to go for naught.

But the thing that hurts the most. It looked like the TEAM QUIT! You can see Hue trying to get them up and excited but they were so so lack luster it wasn't funny.

Schobert pulled a hamstring on a play as he was dropping back in the middle of the field...not in the play and you can see him grab the HAMMY right there and then...Looks like he might be out until our Bye week?!?

What I saw and this one is for Vicki....

It was on their 2nd TD two posts right in a row both over 40 yards and bang bang two plays TD!.

Well this post had 3 defenders...two on the WRs backside towards the middle and there in front of the WR and his post route. Was 23 Randall who has been playing great for us.
Well he had great position but for like 8 yards he was BACK PEDDLING...so that he had no JUMP in him when the ball arrived.If he had instead turned his HIPS and ran NOT BACK PEDDLED he would have been able to get some Vertical leap in there be just a tad closer and instead of going over his outstretched arms...could have made the INT or definitely knock the ball down on that play. Just a typical example of the way we played. We were off and just over all LACK LUSTER.

And I'm telling you all it was from there on after that NONE CALL. I wonder if the players are getting tired of playing against the REFS...

Anyways, what did you all see.

Please do not rant on the thread and give some descriptive accounts of the game that you saw and share with others.

thank you! Now off to some golf in a bit in between the rain drops! Got to HIT SOMETHING!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I'm surprised you didn't comment on the quietness of the stadium... you always used to comment on the loudness of the fans. It seemed very very quiet.

Nice post as always.

I can't believe the false start went unnoticed.

Hue seems very stoic on the sidelines at times. Not a complaint, just an observation.

And I agree. I believe we dominated them early. We had a few slip ups on the one drive they scored, starting with a long return of a punt.

I still would like to know the ruling on holding in the endzone. The flag was thrown, Garrett was definitely in the endzone and Rivers looked to be on the goal line. Possible safety or am I missing something?

Every week I say the same thing... I'd like to see more Duke. And I'd like to see us run the ball more. Baker is still a rookie, as good as he is, or will be, he still needs help.

We better come out swinging next week.

G
2nd String
2nd String
G
I saw a team in the Chargers that looked more prepared and wanted this game a lot more than the Browns. If we made any adjustments on either side of the ball I couldn't tell. The 2 drops in the endzone hurt but we were just beaten by a better prepared team that wanted it more. As for players quiting, I saw a few.

I just want a winner. We need players who can be part of the solution not part of the problem.
Legend
Legend
i'm worried about Landry too ... this can go south quickly if we're losing and he doesn't get his production

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
Yes the refs missed one of the most easily seen penalties viewable.
BUT the Browns, on that side, STOPPED/HESITATED for the non-call.
You don't EVER stop until the Whistle Blows!
Even if you see a Flag!
No Whistle...No Foul! Play through!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think Landry will be fine ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
yea, definitely a game where Mayfield looked like a rookie.

i saw a team get their asses whooped. not just one unit, the whole team. in a game like this, nobody can claim they played well.

but it was bound to happen. and for some odd reason, im comfortable with it happening now as opposed to a game after the bye. i cant really explain it.

the biggest problem was the defense allowing big play after big play after big play. gordon and allen were going for 10 yards a pop every time they touched the ball it seemed.

and it sucked cause early on, the defense and ST gave us AMAZING field position, but the O just couldn't capitalize. and then things snowballed from there.

we're so young on O still that im not overly concerned about it, but right now, i trust Ratley more to catch the ball than calloway. the game came in and did his best, and that catch at the 1 yard line where he got hurt, showed a lot of toughness. i agree that Njoku is becoming mayfields go to target.

with landry, so far he's been ok. i need him to catch the ball more, but the chargers were doing everything imaginable to take him away as a target for mayfield. just couldnt establish a rhythm in the pass game.

i would've liked to see us run the ball more, however. i thought we went away from the pass too early, and i still dont think we commit to the run game early and consistent enough.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Baker may have looked like a rookie and that is going to happen but it doesn't help that 2 TD passes were dropped on him. If those passes were caught it might have changed the game and our Browns attitude.

Legend
Legend
it also doesn't help that he threw 2 picks.

mayfield wasn't good at all. the entire team wasn't good, so lets not make excuses for him.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't want to say I like a game like yesterday, but I think you see the true colors of your players and team with a game like that.

I think now the most important thing is how we respond next week.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Swish I am not making excuses for him. I agree he had a bad game. Patrick Mahomes threw 2 picks yesterday so it will happen. The only thing is he threw a couple of TD 's and for 352 yards. I wish we had the talent PM has here in Cleveland.

Legend
Legend
i agree, but it looks like we're gonna have to wait atleast another off season to get that kind of talent.

- Theodore Roosevelt
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. You can't fix the mess we were in in 1 offseason. It may take 2 more.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Swish
i agree, but it looks like we're gonna have to wait atleast another off season to get that kind of talent.

Maybe...

I remember at the beginning of the year I think one football outlet named the BROWNS (yes, us!) as having the best WR corp in the league... We had Landry, Gordon, and Coleman.

We now have Landry and a bunch of rookies. I'm ok with the Coleman departure. I'm also okay with the Gordon departure because he's been such a poo head... but if we had sucked it up just a little bit, I don't think we'd be in as big of a mess had we kept Gordon.

The reasoning for getting rid of Gordon was we didn't want to rely on a guy who might be ready to relapse. I'm not sure which is worse, relying on a guy who may or may not relapse and was at one time the NFL's leading receiver, or relying on a rookie WR who can't catch.

I think we went from having the best corp in some minds, to having the worst. And injuries don't help, obviously...

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

We are in the top half of the league in talent. Our rebuild didn’t start this year, it started three years ago. We have very good talent from the last three drafts. We, obviously, aren’t a Super Bowl contender, but should be able to compete in most games. Yesterday was a disaster game, hopefully it was an aberration.

Legend
Legend
i dunno about that.

we have decent players, but superior talent? eh.

ogbah was picked in the 2nd round, but he looks more and more like a solid rotational DE, and not a starter. thats a lack of talent, imo.

just cause we loaded up on picks doesnt = talent.

- Theodore Roosevelt
T
All Pro
All Pro
T
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog

We are in the top half of the league in talent. Our rebuild didn’t start this year, it started three years ago. We have very good talent from the last three drafts. We, obviously, aren’t a Super Bowl contender, but should be able to compete in most games. Yesterday was a disaster game, hopefully it was an aberration.

Yeah, sometimes games like that just happen.

Vikings got smoked by the Bills a few weeks ago. It is what it is.

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

I agree the non call was horrible and our DEF checked out right after that.

- Mayfield had his worst game to date. I don't have an eye for the game like you and others do, so I am not sure if his struggles were because of the game plan, or the lack of WR getting open. It seemed to me multiple times he was sacked simply because he had checked down to his third option and there was just nothing there to throw. I will say, the INT were pretty bad and I will chalk them up to rookie mistakes.

- Run Game looked pretty good again, but it seems like every time we have a play that goes for 15-20 on a crucial 3rd down, there is a hold - or is it just me? We have to get Chubb some more touches, which is hard when you are down so early and so fast.

- Def I know the none call was bad. but this is 2 twice now they have gashed on the score board and 2x now they have got diced on the ground. Why cant we stop the run outside? How many end arounds can one team run against you and YOU STILL cannot stop it? Williams and this DEF should be disgusted with what they allowed yesterday. I am scared Myles will not be ever be able to close off an edge, and it seemed they were laughing at him buy running that way constantly.

- Back to Mayfield, I am really starting to worry with his ability to get some points. I saw a stat yesterday that said we had like 15 drives in the oppt territory, with I think 2 TD so far this year? That is unacceptable, and I will give some rope with the injuries we have, but at some point, hes got to put the ball in the endzone.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I saw our team lose to a better team.

I saw Baker have a “rookie game”.

I saw the refs cost us 9 points (safety call mess up and false start).

I saw refs that didn’t notch calls but purposely made them against us. Like EO said, they HAD to have seen that False Start. Every week they make “mistakes” that hurt us. This week we would’ve lost anyways so not sure why.

OPTIMISTIC THOUGHT: maybe the NFL is ready to support the Browns in a championship run... next year? They might want us to be really ready before going for it. Otherwise I cannot understand why Haslam would stand for this officiating.

Can you imagine owning a BILLION dollar company and they are purposely stacking the odds against you? I’d go nuts!

myka #1530114 10/15/18 12:22 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: myka
Can you imagine owning a BILLION dollar company and they are purposely stacking the odds against you? I’d go nuts!

Jet fuel can’t melt steel beams.

If you think the league is purposefully fixing a game, why watch?

Legend
Legend
j/c

the lack of talent thing is old (and not true) anymore ... do we have the talent of the Chiefs, Rams, Steelers, etc? NO

But, we shouldn't have a performance like that yesterday .. We have players now

I'm hoping yesterday is the one blemish on a competitive season

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
IMO, the non false start call, though more egregious, hurt a lot less than the Raiders non 1st down call. Given how much Baker and the offense were struggling and how easily the Chargers were moving the ball and scoring, the game was already getting out of hand.

The Chargers are a good team. They have quite a bit of talent (a lot of which is underrated). I was hoping that them being down Bosa and some speed at WR (Benjamin was out) could help to balance out the talent/performance difference, but I was wrong.

The game, overall was pretty disappointing. My expectations were for us to be competitive in every game, and that wasn't the case yesterday. Felt like all of the games from last year. I hope that the defense playing as poorly as they did is just an aberration. Myles Garrett, I believe, had a 0 on the stat sheet... and you can try to make yourself feel better all you want, but a guy like that has to eventually show up on the stat sheet.

Baker Mayfield was also really worriesome. I'm hoping that he's able to bounce back. As I said right after the Jets game, it will take NFL teams only a couple games to pull together tape on rookie QBs and adapt. How Mayfield (and the offense as a whole) is able to respond is crucial to both this season and his career. We all knew one of these games was going to happen, now we have to see how they respond.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

This type of game was inevitable.

Offensively, when you have a rookie quarterback and rookie receivers the lack of coordination is going to happen.

Defensively, they jumped right on us. Rivers took them right down the field. They picked us apart and set the tone for the game. They rushed for 246 yards. You don't win games when you get run on like that.

Ogbah got eaten alive. One guy on every play completely handled him. They ran in every direction. When you can not stop the run; you look inept.

Big plays. Back to back TD passes in the endzone. You either have to cover or get pressure. River's is not going to miss guys.

Mayfield held on to the ball. Hard to say without film study if guys were open. Some of the routes I saw from Callaway were terrible. When you run an out; you have to separate. You do that with a plant foot and cut. His routes were lazy. I am not going to lay this all on Mayfield. There were plenty of errors to go around.

If guys are not open and you hold it; you get sacked. Which is what happened. When that happens on a bunch of plays; you press and force the ball. Which is what Baker did. I am confident experience will change that.

Run game got shelved. Both because we got behind and because we were ineffective.

Drops. Callaway and Ratley have not learned how to track the ball from Mayfield. That comes from lack of reps together and maybe skill. Landry is experienced. I could not tell from one look if Landry was covered or didn't work to get open.

This game got away quickly. The team was not strong enough to take the punches and come back harder. It snowballed and it was over.

Now we find out. If we go out and lay another egg like this week. Things will deteriorate. If we come back strong and take to the Bucs; it will be ok.

There is no rest for the weary. You have to put it behind and get ready to play the next game.

Not happy with the defense. Against Oakland we gave up 567 yards. Against the Chargers 449 yards.

You can't win games giving up that kind of yardage.
We have better players on defense to play like this. If this continues something has to give. Williams and Hue will be under fire.

Hopefully this is just one of those games and we can get back on track.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Jacksonville had a terrible game yesterday and some considered them SB contenders. Plus they were playing an average team. It happens.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

I think now the most important thing is how we respond next week.

I agree w/this 100%.

Heck, I can't wait until Swish starts his Breakdown thread. This will be an interesting match-up.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
IMO, the non false start call, though more egregious, hurt a lot less than the Raiders non 1st down call. Given how much Baker and the offense were struggling and how easily the Chargers were moving the ball and scoring, the game was already getting out of hand.

I don't agree with that at all. Our def was actually holding them to 3 and outs for the majority of the first half except for the first drive and the bang bang deep throws. They were not moving the ball easily at that point in the game, and our Def went to pooh right after.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I agree with device and U ... i was going to say two things bone said one and device said the other ....

Bone said we LAID AN EGG ... THOSE WERE THE EXACT WORDS I WAS GOING TO USE ... sorry bout the caps ...

There’s not really any sense dissecting it ... EVERYONE played HORRIBLE ... the only exception in my mind was Peppers on returns ... especially the punt returns ... he looks like a NEW DUDE the last two weeks return wise ...

2nd thing i was gonna say was what device did ... were gonna learn a lot about the character of this team ... this is a much better matchup for us and this team has bounced back every time ... within games and after the faider debacle ...

Depending on injuries we may not win but it best be a BATTLE and we best be a PACK OF RABID HOUNDS ...

Another thing i was gonna mention last week about our D was how fast w were .... we swarmed everything in our 4 stellar perfornances and even the faider game .... yesterday ... there was never more than one or two guys in on a play ...

We WERE FLAT ...

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
the only exception in my mind was Peppers on returns ... especially the punt returns ... he looks like a NEW DUDE the last two weeks return wise ...

Maybe we should call him out in public more often? rofl

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Tampa Bay fired their DC today I heard... that could muddy the waters some.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep. Players know that they could be next once a coach is fired.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I saw Baker get hurt early and he should have been taken out of the game. It was nonsense to let him play in that condition especially with the clown posse we have at WR!

The D played well after the first series. We had them on their goal line twice punting. After we blew the 4th and 2 and the REFS shafting us as usual on a consistent basis this year, it was all over.

We need some WR's and LB's ASAP!

Due to injury and no depth, just like that, we are a mess.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I saw Baker get hurt early and he should have been taken out of the game. It was nonsense to let him play in that condition especially with the clown posse we have at WR!

What condition was that, Dr. Brown?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:

You didn't see him limping the rest of the day after he slipped on the down marker out of bounds Nurse V?.... brownie

B
Legend
Legend
B
The stadium was quiet. I go to games and am there.

Here is the reason. At one point it was obvious the team lacked energy, had a poor game plan, and Baker was hurt and couldn't move around.

At the beginning of the game, there were still thousands walking up to the stadium because tailgating was more important than being in the seat for the opening kick. From my seats in 330 I can see through to the southheast gate. Lines were 50 deep and people piling in behind them.

If I miss a opening kick or first pitch, I consider it a failure on my part. I got a Joe Thomas Bobblehead. They handed those out to the first 10,363 people to enter the stadium in honor of Joe's streak.

People can say that Browns fans are the best in football, but that is BS. They are some of the dumbest fans anywhere. They show up late to games because drinking beer is more important. They scream at the top of their lungs when we have the ball when they should shut-up to allow good communication between the QB and receivers and center on the line calls. They harass opposing fans who came to their city, spend good money on food and hotels, which helps keep taxes down, but are mad at them because their team whooped our ass. Like it's their fault. LOL

Browns fans once were some of the best. No longer.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I saw it. I was just wondering how you knew how severe the injury was.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You are most likely correct with your assessment. I had season tickets since 99 til about 2 yrs ago. I always tried to get into the stadium by 1230 to get a beer and dog.

I think this will all change when we start winning. Drinking beer will still be important, but I think fans will get to their seats earlier.

Legend
Legend
Quote:

He was obviously hurting. I thought the same thing. TT May have have gave us a better chance in this game with fresh legs and his experience. Let Baker sit and lick his wounds and play another day with his confidence intact.

Responses like yours is why I don’t post much in Tabby’s threads anymore.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:

He was obviously hurting. I thought the same thing. TT May have have gave us a better chance in this game with fresh legs and his experience. Let Baker sit and lick his wounds and play another day with his confidence intact.

Responses like yours is why I don’t post much in Tabby’s threads anymore.

Cut the crap excuses. Aaron is playing hurt... Mayfield playing hurt had very little to do with his performance.

It was a bad day for the team, specially the D.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I never considered taking baker out once it looked like he could play, but the ankle did hamper his mobility.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
What excuses? I’m just pointing out that I wouldn’t have been surprised if Hue had sat him.

Did Aaron Rogers even play a down his rookie year?

Thanks for reminding me why I stay out of here. Bye

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 14 Chargers 38 What I saw game 6

Link Copied to Clipboard