Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
My guess is you will be screaming.

I think Lincoln Riley will be the next HC of the Browns. It's all about Baker.

WHY?

I seriously doubt Dorsey goes to the College ranks.

I'm looking at Taub from KC.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Could be, like the rest of us, I have no clue who we are going to hire.

All I know is that both Dorsey and whoever takes the helm need to have similar visions on how things need to be.

It seems pretty clear to me that he and Hue didn't have the same views. I agree that Haslam created this situation. He should have let Dorsey bring in his own coach after last season and not forced a wedding on the two.

I think that Dorsey is finally getting through to Jimmy. I hope so anyway. The change in staff at this point in the season is a good sign that it is beginning, or has happened.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I disagree. He has regressed as teams have figured him out.

It isn't fair for other players to take all the blame and not get any credit while Baker gets no blame and all the credit.

That will create a toxic atmosphere.

Dude isn't playing very well. He isn't reading coverages. His accuracy has gotten worse.

I think he has a good shot of being a good qb, but there is no way he is a sure thing.

There is nothing wrong with Baker.

He was saddled with a crappy OC and a crappy HC, a GM who took his #1 WR away, nobody to throw to, nobody to block the blitz, got thrown in instead of sitting and learning because the starting QB was garbage.

Pretty sure Baker would have been ok with being drafted by anyone else right now.

Have you learned nothing from the Tim Couch and Charlie Frye eras?

Once you start blaming the OL, the WR's and the OC, its a clear sign that the QB is not good enough.

If Baker is good, he won't need any excuses for his lack of performance.

Last edited by rastanplan; 10/31/18 07:33 AM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree...

I'd give Lincoln Riley less than 1% chance to be the next head coach of the Browns...

At this point, I'd think someone like Schwartz is the current favorite to land the job.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
I agree...

I'd give Lincoln Riley less than 1% chance to be the next head coach of the Browns...

At this point, I'd think someone like Schwartz is the current favorite to land the job.

Maybe...any of this can be right or wrong. I just get the feeling that Dorsey is going to go for a guy who can get the QB playing to his strengths.

I don't know if it will be Riley, but I do think it will be someone a little more current in their views of offensive football.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Baker has made no excuses.

All things considered he has played as well as can be expected.

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

In regards to Baker. Baker certainly has talent. But the fact is the plan was to sit him this year. There are reasons for that. Dorsey had the exact same plan for Mahomes and we can all see the dividends that paid.

Baker being forced into the position he is currently in isn't doing him any favors. It isn't a positive in his development. Being thrown into the fire is something many fans seem to think is a good thing. Maybe so until the player starts getting burned.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. With all the injuries and said turmoil he has done really well. The talent is there it just needs to be developed further as well as getting more talent around him; playmakers!!

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Vers, in response to your post about BM's looking worse. I think it's more accepted (by the public) for a rookie QB to hit the wall at about midway through the season than it is for the other positions.

People expect it from the QB, as defenses have tape on them and can pick apart their tendencies.

I think fans give more slack to, say, an offensive lineman, not necessarily because of a lack of learning curve, but because they've been told over and over how steep the learning curve is for the QB.

Last edited by Hamfist; 10/31/18 11:58 AM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
That makes sense.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yes.

I think many people don't realize there's a steep learning curve for an offensive lineman as well...

Legend
Legend
Learning and playing are different. Knowing your assignments comes before winning those little wars. Lines have to play together as schemed and called. But they have to get used to the guys around them too. Knowing your job and doing your job can be worlds apart IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If it is Toub then we know Dorsey is making the call. Riley might be the guy, but my money would be on Toub right now.

Getting lost in all of this talk is Haslem did NOT want to fire Hue. Dorsey had to talk him into it so he obviously has his ear right now.

Against logic,the most effective armor is willful ignorance.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Too many rumors w/out quotes from the principles are being stated as fact.

Opinions are cool. So is speculation. But stating rumors as fact are not.

There have been multiple posts about what was going on in Berea stated factually. Reading "reports" does not make the rumors true or untrue.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't really want a college guy either. I'm looking at Toub as well.

SaintDawgâ„¢

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: BigWillieStyle
If it is Toub then we know Dorsey is making the call. Riley might be the guy, but my money would be on Toub right now.

Getting lost in all of this talk is Haslem did NOT want to fire Hue. Dorsey had to talk him into it so he obviously has his ear right now.

I don't know about that last part. Haslam was the one that said internal discord would not be tolerated. He seemed pretty emphatic when he said that. If anything, I would assume the opposite.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
in todays current NFL on offense a successful QB needs a combo of the following

a WR that can take the top off the defense
TE that can dominate the middle of the field
from hash mark to hash mark
or a RB that can lineup wide a the x y z spots Mayfield has really none of those elements
the offense lacks a real end zone threat.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

I don't know about that last part. Haslam was the one that said internal discord would not be tolerated. He seemed pretty emphatic when he said that. If anything, I would assume the opposite.
Grossi laid out a theory yesterday that actually seemed plausible on the Next Level 850 (FYI, I am not a Grossi fan, but he made some good points)

He stated that the browns PR Monday morning released the schedule with nothing out of the ordinary. They even stated that Hue would be available to the media at his normal time of I think he said 3:30.

Grossi's point was, if you are going to fire your coach, you don't release to the media he was gong to be available later that day.

Bitonio stated it was like any other Monday. they went to their first meeting, then heard Hue had been fired on their phones.

Grossi contest that Hue showed up, and demanded Haley was fired. Then they fired Hue. He then contest that either 1 of 2 things happened, as to why Haley was let go an hour later.

1. Haley may have been told Gregg was going to be the Interim, and he threw a fit, and they canned him.

or

2. Haley had been disruptive and insubordinate all season trying to undermine Hue (I.E. starting Gordon, not giving Chubb carries, refusing to change offense). After firing Hue they thought about it, and though was just best to move on from all this childish behavior.

I easily can see both scenarios have taken place...I don't think we will ever know for sure unless Jackson writes a book 1-31: The Hue Jackson Story of Triumph and WHY its Not my Fault. I just think IMO that Grossi may have actually got something right here.

The PR releasing Hue was scheduled to meet w/ media as normal later in the day is telling to me they were NOT going to fire Hue and something happened on Monday morning.

E
Legend
Legend
E
This should and I think always has been since the hire. Dorsey's team. I think he can work well with any HC and he has shown with two teams to be able to get the talent needed by the SYSTEM laid out.

It has always been my hope that the GM Dorsey who has proven competency in the NFL to get HIS GUY he worked well with guys given to him...now it will be nice to see him pick his GUY...don't forget all those Oklahoma games he went to and that included practices as he was an Unemployed FO guy. He got to know Mayfield foward and backwards...guess who else he learned to know??? wink Lincoln Riley here we go!

jmhwish!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I doubt we'll ever get the full story, or even half the story. That scenario is at least plausible.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well if it is a rumor than almost every national guy (Rap, Adam S, etc) and local guys (Rueter, Adkins, etc) are passing along the same rumor.

Do we know for sure? No you can never know anything for sure unless you are in the room. However, when a large quantity of the people who get PAID to report on a subject are hearing the same thing then I am comfortable believing it.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I doubt we'll ever get the full story, or even half the story. That scenario is at least plausible.
Agree. I can see either way. I don't think we ever will.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You do realize that a lot of the reporting comes from one reporter and then national guys pick up on that information and post the same thing, right?

And I wasn't picking on you specifically. I have seen a ton of examples of posters using reports, or what this board used to call rumors and did not allow, as factual evidence.

I realize I won't be able to stop that habit from continuing, but I think it is w/in my rights to point out that rumors are not necessarily true or false.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Here are quotes/links though.....

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/1056941917370494976

[Rapoport] As of early this morning, the #Browns could have gone one of two ways: Make a change at OC or make a change at head coach. Owner Jimmy Haslam sounded like he wanted to keep Hue Jackson. GM John Dorsey wanted to move on. In the end, they moved on from Hue Jackson.

https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1056951144134643712

That was just a quick search.....plenty more saying the same thing. I don't post rumors as opinions, but when reports are made by numerous people I think we have to give them at least plausible validity.....whether we like the report or not.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Our last two games both losses are arguably two of Baker's worst he seemed to be running for his life and had no chance as a young rookie QB. But lets look at what he has done in this terrible situation that he definitely was thrown into.

45 completions out of 70 attempts. 64.3%

395 total yards...not much.

4 TD and 1 INT that was a decent punt.

This is what he has provided in two ugly situations. I think the environment has been worse these last two games without a doubt. I think our Franchise QB as withstood this mad house and has survived. Lets hope we right the ship as a TEAM as far as QB a few posters have not like the Baker choice from the get go. They have been proven wrong all the way. wink We got our guy

jmho but backed by facts.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

V
Legend
Legend
V
You are completely missing my point, but whatever...

E
Legend
Legend
E
It definitely hard to express oneself on a message board that is why I think face to face with a beer in hand turns out with great discussion - on a message board more hatred and tit for tat I think.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Ruiter was saying last week (along with Adkins) that Dorsey wanted Hue gone after the Bucs loss. It's why I posted to you and Diam last week that we might not agree with it but he was basically a dead man walking. So it isn't a new report actually as Ruiter/Adkins had been saying this for over a week before it happened.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Well if it is a rumor than almost every national guy (Rap, Adam S, etc) and local guys (Rueter, Adkins, etc) are passing along the same rumor.

Do we know for sure? No you can never know anything for sure unless you are in the room. However, when a large quantity of the people who get PAID to report on a subject are hearing the same thing then I am comfortable believing it.
What some don't realize, is there will be a report usually from a local guy - then the next guy will call HIS source to see if the report has legs, then he will call ANOTHER source to see if that SAME report also has legs.

So the one report from the local guy that was listed, will be verified by multiple sources before its re-reported by the next guy, and then the same by the next guy.

If they do not use their own sources they will typically say "Per Jason LaCanfora" or "Per Shefter". It they simply report it, it means its per them and verified by their sources.

Multiple NATIONAL and LOCAL guys REPORTED the story. They didn't just simply put out "per shefter", some did - but a lot of others verified w/ their sources and believe to be true. thumbsup

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
spot on Vers

Mary Kay reports it, then someone else parrots it, then when a Rappaort repeats it, it grows like wildfire and every is, was or wannabe reporter latches on and its fact.

#gmstrong

A smart person knows what to say.

A wise person knows whether or not to say it.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
My point is when enough people who are paid to report on a sport all say the same thing is happening it isn't a rumor. It could be false (the infamous Fake News nonsense) but it isn't a rumor. You or I can choose whether to believe what is said, but it is the report we choose not to believe not a rumor.

Sorry to be defensive, but I hate rumors (Browns are trading for OBJ stuff) and don't post them on this board. Anything I post I say imho or I commenting on a report such as what is posted above.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
Our last two games both losses are arguably two of Baker's worst he seemed to be running for his life and had no chance as a young rookie QB. But lets look at what he has done in this terrible situation that he definitely was thrown into.

45 completions out of 70 attempts. 64.3%

395 total yards...not much.

4 TD and 1 INT that was a decent punt.

This is what he has provided in two ugly situations. I think the environment has been worse these last two games without a doubt. I think our Franchise QB as withstood this mad house and has survived. Lets hope we right the ship as a TEAM as far as QB a few posters have not like the Baker choice from the get go. They have been proven wrong all the way. wink We got our guy

jmho but backed by facts.

I certainly don't question the talent that Mayfield possesses. I'm more concerned about the situation he's been placed in.

I was for giving Hue this season and judging his performance at seasons end. But we were losing games we should have won and things seemed to be going backwards. I don't see anything gained any time a team fires their HC mid season. But in this case, I at least understand the reasoning why they didn't let it continue.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I am hoping for some better performance out of BM and the offense, the defensive secondary, and ST's.

Can anybody see us doing any better.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

If Haslam did not want to fire Hue then he would not have done it.

Haslam has no clue to what he is doing. He is a reactionary owner. If the media reports enough or if he "hears" about things; he reacts.

He has no clear strategy and if forms one; he can be swayed to change. In addition he is liar.

I have zero respect for him.

Dorsey is a football guy. He knows how to evaluate players. He is not a organizational diplomat. And I seriously doubt that he will stand up to Haslam.

This is all Haslam. He either gives Dorsey the authority to structure all football operations or he will call the shots. Collaborative to Haslam means he makes the decision.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not really sure why we should expect that. We're starting out playing KC. It's a team that Dorsey has already built. They have a lot of weapons. It doesn't look like a positive outcome.

Getting Higgins back would be very helpful. But I think a lot of people disregard how this much upheaval in the coaching staff has on a team and its players. Very rarely has changing HC's and an OC mid season led to anything positive.

Impossible? No.

Highly unlikely? Definitely.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
If Haslam did not want to fire Hue then he would not have done it.
Well most reports are that Haslam wanted to fire haley, Dorsey wanted to fire hue.

Haslam setup the structure like it is, because he trusted HUE. he gave Hue a lot of power in that building, and we saw it. The second it came down to sashi or hue, it was Hue he rode with. Lets not forget it was sashi that drafted decent players and set us up with a lot of picks. It was hue that wanted to mortgage our future for AJ McCarron. Think about that, if not for Sashi "forgetting paperwork" Hue would have traded essentiall Nick Chubb and Chad Thomas for AJ McCarron.

Haslam, I think is learning. People are trashing him for the carousel of coaches - understandably so. But lets look at it objectively a little.

1. Not a single coach we have fired has had success again as a HC afterwards. Not one.

2. His biggest complaint from us is his lack of continuity, but the dude was willing to keep a coach 1-31 for continuity. It was unprecedented that Hue returned to this team this year, and we were a joke for letting him - which was simply because of Haslam trying to for continuity.

Quote:
He has no clear strategy and if forms one; he can be swayed to change. In addition he is liar.
You don't become a billionaire with some type of strategy. Haslam took a big swing with Sashi, podesta, etc. He was TRYING to look for a new model and new way of thinking. SPorts are ever changing. Haslam failed in his doing this, yes. Miserably so. We know that. But he had the cajones to know he failed, and cut ties with Hue - the last piece to that failed project.

Quote:
I have zero respect for him.
Cool. I don't know him personally, so I cannot judge respect or not for him. Although, the beer at the press conference was pretty cool.

Quote:
Dorsey is a football guy. He knows how to evaluate players. He is not a organizational diplomat. And I seriously doubt that he will stand up to Haslam.
I think he already has. That's why Hue Jackson was fired on Monday.

Quote:
This is all Haslam.
Normally when you spend a billion dollars on something, its all yours.

Quote:
He either gives Dorsey the authority to structure all football operations or he will call the shots. Collaborative to Haslam means he makes the decision.
I highly doubt there is an owner in football where the owner doesn't have a say or call some shots. I would even say Kraft in NE gives his input.

There is not a organization on EARTH where the owner of that organization doesn't have say in the operation.

Legend
Legend

"Well most reports are that Haslam wanted to fire haley, Dorsey wanted to fire hue."
=================================================

Does Dorsey or Haslam make the final decision?
======================================================
"1. Not a single coach we have fired has had success again as a HC afterwards. Not one. "
=========================================

Who hired them?
===========================================
"You don't become a billionaire with some type of strategy."
==============================================
He didn't become a billionaire. He was willed as one. In addition it was not earned in football.
==============================================

Hue Jackson was fired because Haslam fired him. It is not Dorsey's decision. Haslam and his wife made the decision.

They own the team and have the right do as they please.

All the rest about Dorsey wanting to fire Hue is pure speculation.

Right up till he was fired Hue stated publicly that he had the support of Halsam. When asked how did he know that?
He said "through conversations".

Haslam lied. Take it any way you want to believe.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: bonefish

[color:#FFCC33]

They own the team and have the right do as they please.

Therein Lies Our Problem superconfused tongue

Last edited by PastorMarc; 11/01/18 02:03 PM.

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Right up till he was fired Hue stated publicly that he had the support of Halsam. When asked how did he know that?
He said "through conversations".
Every employee of every company has the support of their boss, until they don't. lol

You call it a lie, I call it doing what you feel is best for your organization

I manage a credit union. I have faith my employees are doing their job, and they have my support. If I come into work tomorrow, and find out my employees are out of balance 500 dollars from the night before, they are immediately terminated. But the night before we had conversations they were a great employee.

Quote:

All the rest about Dorsey wanting to fire Hue is pure speculation.
eh, I call them news reports w/ sources. but I guess so. I also call it deductive reasoning. Dorsey didn't hire hue. Dorseys job is directly correlated with the success of the team. Dorsey had a HC he did not hire that went 1-31. I don't think its out of reason he wanted to fire hue.

V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
I think ultimately it is the owner that makes the firing official. While he may not have wanted to fire Hue, he hired Dorsey to right the ship and sometimes you have to go against your personal feelings and listen to the guy that you think knows what he is talking about. I always thought that was sorta what happened with Chud. Banner wanted Chud gone, thinking he/ Lombardi could land a high profile guy. Haslam pulls the trigger because he has hired a guy (Banner) to make those kind of decisions. When it blows up in Banners face, Haslam has no real choice but to get rid of him. The Chud thing is one that I don't tend to blame on Haslam.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Please do it RIGHT this time

Link Copied to Clipboard