2 TDs
3 T/Os
518 total yards

Sam Darnold
41/62 532 yards @ 66%
8 rushes 1 yard
3 TDs
3 T/Os
533 total yards (i sure hope most could of added this up)

Josh Rosen (i used week 4 and 5 because he threw 7 passes in week 3)
25/52 350 yards @ 48%
5 rushes 10 yards
2 TDs
0 T/Os
360 total yards (same smart ass comment as above)

Josh Allen
24/48 319 yards @ 50% (week 1 vs Ravens)
12 rushes 58 yards
1 TD
2 T/Os
376 total yards

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
baker and the rest

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: edromeo
I borrowed these numbers from another site, first 2 starts:

Baker Mayfield
38/64 496 yards @ 60%
6 rushes 8 yards
4 TDs
4 T/Os
504 total yards

Lamar Jackson
27/44 328 yards @ 61%
27 rushes 190 yards 2 TDs
2 TDs
3 T/Os
518 total yards

Sam Darnold
41/62 532 yards @ 66%
8 rushes 1 yard
3 TDs
3 T/Os
533 total yards (i sure hope most could of added this up)

Josh Rosen (i used week 4 and 5 because he threw 7 passes in week 3)
25/52 350 yards @ 48%
5 rushes 10 yards
2 TDs
0 T/Os
360 total yards (same smart ass comment as above)

Josh Allen
24/48 319 yards @ 50% (week 1 vs Ravens)
12 rushes 58 yards
1 TD
2 T/Os
376 total yards

What's that supposed to be?

Legend
Legend
Darnold looked awesome week 1 in Detroit ... but pretty mediocre-to-bad since

We'll see how Jackson fares after teams have scouted him a bit

Allen, to me, looks like a Jeff George type. He'll wow you but never win consistently.

Rosen has had flashes, but has not been consistent

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I wonder why Ed included Allen's game against Ravens but excludes Baker's game against Jets.

JA vs MN
15/22 - Passing 1 TD
10/39 - Rushing 2 TD

No TOs

BM vs NYJ
17/23 - Passing 0 TD
2/-2 - Rushing 0 TD
No TOs

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Because baker didn’t start that game.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
and Allen did not start the Baltimore game - that was my point.

Allen's first 2 starts were against SD and MN.

Baker's first 2 starts were against BAL and OAK.

Legend
Legend

This past game against the Texans really showed me a lot about Baker.

The Texans are a good team. Well coached. Lots of weapons on offense. Killer front seven on defense.

There will be times when things happen and bad results are going to have to be dealt with.

The first half did not go well. A true measure of a quarterback is how do you handle adversity.

Baker came out after the half and went right after them. He showed there is not a throw on the field that he can not make.

He fell just shy of 400 yards passing at the end of the day. Some of the throws were incredible.

He has displayed deep ball accuracy, touch, pocket awareness, ability to move in either direction, and throw accurately on the move.

There is no doubt that he is driving the bus. The team responds to him.

For me I can't even explain how thrilled I am. I have been waiting since Bernie for a quarterback to get behind.

A drought of epic proportions.

Now I am confident that the Bakerman is going to be our guy for a long time. He is going to win a bunch of games. And I expect big time primetime games.

A Super Bowl is a tall order. Lots of things have to happen to go that far and luck is also a factor.

But I am confident Baker can handle big games. He has done it. Pressure and the moment will not rattle him.

Dorsey will hire a good head coach. We have money. We can score specific key upgrades in free agency.

I expect another good draft.

I have not felt this good about the overall status of this team since the mid eighties.

But make no mistake it begins with the quarterback and that guy is Baker Mayfield.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
He fell just shy of 400 yards passing at the end of the day. Some of the throws were incredible.

He has displayed deep ball accuracy, touch, pocket awareness, ability to move in either direction, and throw accurately on the move.

I think these 3 points say it all about him, and is what sets him apart from the other rookies at this point.

FYI, where is rasta? didn't he say Mayfield was not accurate and had a noodle arm.?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:

I think these 3 points say it all about him, and is what sets him apart from the other rookies at this point.

FYI, where is rasta? didn't he say Mayfield was not accurate and had a noodle arm.?

Anyone could have said the same thing about all of our QB’s. So 24 or so out of 25 or so ain’t bad. wink

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
R
Legend
Legend
R
Went back and watched the Bills game cut up on the Sunday Ticket app. Got to say I was impressed with Allen. He's calm in the pocket. Made some really outstanding plus level throws. And seems to possess a fire similar to Mayfield. To be quite honest with you I walked away surprised.

The inaccuracy issues were only on display for a few throws but he was more accurate than not. And his athleticism is off the charts.

Just wanted to provide an observation of another rookie QB.

This class could end up being really stellar.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Legend
Legend

Allen is a really interesting case. If he was left to learn like Mahomes was the results could have be similar.

If he can figure things out and harness his talent he could be a monster.

I knew he was very raw but I loved his make-up and obvious talent. At the same time I was against drafting him with our pick.

L
Legend
Legend
L
A good buddy of mine is a huge Bills fan and he's optimistic about Allen. We are both glad we don't have to worry about our QB in 2019.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Coming out, I would have had them ranked:

Rosen
Mayfield
Darnold
Jackson
Allen

Now I think it goes like this to date:

Mayfield
Allen
Jackson
Rosen
Darnold

Looking forward to Bills Jets this weekend if Darnold starts.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:

Mayfield
Allen
Jackson
Rosen
Darnold

There. Fixed it for ya. wink

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Mayfield
Jackson
Rosen

yall still showing lamar mad disrespect, despite the fact that he's 3-0 in his first 3 starts and got his team competing for a playoff spot.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
R
Legend
Legend
R
It's no slight on Mayfield to say Allen is playing well also.

I tend to be in the camp that it's hard to improve accuracy so it bears something to keep an eye on. But I did walk away impressed with his last game. He made some impressive throws.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
No. I didn't think it was. I just think Mayfield is that much better.

I would agree that Allen has impressed. I am also not so sure he's that much better than Darnold, Jackson, or Rosen.

Quote:

Mayfield
Allen
Jackson
Rosen
Darnold

Compromise. cool

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Swish
Mayfield
Jackson
Rosen

yall still showing lamar mad disrespect, despite the fact that he's 3-0 in his first 3 starts and got his team competing for a playoff spot.

He still is not a good passer.

He might be the best athlete out of the bunch, though.

In his last 3 games, he has thrown for 150, 178. and 125 yards. He has 1 TD and 3 INT.

He is a rookie QB, whose passing has not been the reason his team has won games.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I would not put much weight to how any of these QBs play this year or next. Next year teams are going to have much more film on them and be exploiting weaknesses they don't even know they have yet. The fact they are playing decent this year is just a bonus.

It's that dreaded third year where you start to see if a QB will make it in the league or not after they learn how defenses are going to adapt to them. It's the year many make or break it regardless if they did well or not the first 2 years.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Yea, his running plus time of possession and defense is why they are winning.

He isn’t a good passer. Yet. And yet that’s still 3 wins in 3 starts.

Any of the other rookie QBs pull that off this year?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
well we will see.

Baker just needs experience. he showed he can pass and is mobile. he's clearly the top of the group.

lamar needs a QB camp...or 3, but his athleticism is out of this world, and the team is moving along great with him starting.

Rosen needs way more talent surrounding him. thats the biggest issue, because right now, he still looks better than all the other QB's as far as moving within the pocket. he's so natural back there, just need talent.

Darnold is.....you know what, imma leave darnold alone for now. smh

and allen looks like he has cam newton potential.

darnold better hope the excuse is the coaching staff, because he looks like all the negatives about him got brought straight to the nfl.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
The problem with a QB like Lamar is the same as with a race horse.... if those legs get hurt, you may as well put him down because he has nothing left to offer.

Without that freak athleticism and running ability, he wouldn't have even survived at the college level. If he doesn't become a passer quickly, his career will be as short as your average running back.

I truly find it hard to believe he was an Ozzie Newsome pick.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
The problem with a QB like Lamar is the same as with a race horse.... if those legs get hurt, you may as well put him down because he has nothing left to offer.

Without that freak athleticism and running ability, he wouldn't have even survived at the college level. If he doesn't become a passer quickly, his career will be as short as your average running back.

I truly find it hard to believe he was an Ozzie Newsome pick.

Lamar = RG III

Any question why they are both on the same team atm ?

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Halfback32

Any question why they are both on the same team atm ?

Yes - who made those decisions?? It couldn't have been Ozzie.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:

Anyone could have said the same thing about all of our QB’s. So 24 or so out of 25 or so ain’t bad. wink
not really, we had a couple that could a deep ball, not many tho with touch, we had a lot that could throw with touch, but not many of them could throw a deep ball smile

Not many threw for almost 400 yards either, and surely not many of them threw for more than 2 tds in a game, multiple times in a season.

Also, not many were good leaders that the players got behind.

Still waiting on rastanplan to comment on bakers arm and accuracy.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Swish
Yea, his running plus time of possession and defense is why they are winning.

He isn’t a good passer. Yet. And yet that’s still 3 wins in 3 starts.

Any of the other rookie QBs pull that off this year?
I can see him being successful and winning games. I just don't see him becoming a good QB. He is absolute freak athlete and will win games. The NFL hasn't seen a player like him since Mike Vick. But when he gets into long and distance downs, or throwing situations, he will struggle.

He is on he perfect team for his play style though, I don't think he could have gone to a better fit. Ravens will always be a def 1st team, which will help keep pressure off him to be that great passer.

E
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
E
Again, the narrative around Lamar's 'accuracy' doesn't fit the comparison to his fellow rookie QBs when you look at the stats.

Jackson has the second highest completion (60%) after Bake's 63%.
Darnold 55%
Rosen 54%
Allen 53%

And again the overall impact he has on the game isn't easily quantified statistically. The Ravens are a dominant running team suddenly when they inserted Lamar into the line-up.

Since Bake is killin it some maybe it will make it easier to give Jackson credit compared to the other QBs in the draft class.....but maybe not

Last edited by edromeo; 12/05/18 12:12 PM.
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
i agree.

again, let me be clear cause i can already tell what the narrative going into the future is gonna be:

baker mayfield is, and will most likely be in the future, the best QB of this draft class.

he has demonstrated everything. can play within the pocket, outside the pocket, throws on the run, mobility to escape pressure, can pick up yards with his legs, can make all the throws.

so baker is MY undisputed guy.

but my issue is that people are still using these tired ass arguments from draft day, and not looking at the QB's actual performances in the nfl when discussing all the other rookie QB's.

i dunno how anybody can rank the others over Lamar. at this point, its less about performance and more to do with these guys just not liking his playing style, and digging into whatever beliefs that had about lamar from the draft process.

cause lamar is hands down better than rosen and allen. don't even get me started on comparing lamar's success in the nfl to darnolds so far. it aint even close.

people want to look at JUST the passing stats. but the same posters won't look at the MASSIVE rushing yards and ToP increases ever since lamar got inserted into the line up.

i get that we're all suppose to be automatically bias because baker is our guy and lamar plays for the enemy. and im legitimately torn because i love lamar, and HATE the ravens.

but YTown pointed out that lamar's passing stats is 1 TD and 3 Int over 3 games.....as if we didn't just watch baker put up that same stat line in 1 game. he had 3 int in ONE HALF.

right now its #1 Baker, #2 Lamar, and then its everybody else.

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah well I think you need to look at both of them over three games.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Yeah well I think you need to look at both of them over three games.

i did. baker has the better numbers hands down, at least passing anyway since that seems to be the only thing that matters around here.

lamar has the better W-L record.

over the course of 3 games, who has their team in position to get to the playoffs?

- Theodore Roosevelt
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
WE finally have our franchise QB. Now we have to surround him with more playmakers and continue with good coaching. The sky's the limit if we make the right moves and don't mess things up.

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
WE finally have our franchise QB. Now we have to surround him with more playmakers and continue with good coaching. The sky's the limit if we make the right moves and don't mess things up.

do you think we should keep the coaching staff or get a new guy in?

whats crazy about baker is that other than experience, you're right, we need playmakers.

i think we just need one more playmaker though. the big thing we need on offense is tackles, imo.

im just glad we get to go into an offseason and the QB position isn't a question mark. thats gonna make the offseason discussions so much more entertaining.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Legend
Legend
D
Hes not accurate enough ... never will be ... when this is all said and done ... were gonna be 1 - 1 ... wink

U do know he didnt finish the game ... don’t u? ...

Eds hero finished it up .... rofl

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Hes not accurate enough ... never will be ... when this is all said and done ... were gonna be 1 - 1 ... wink

U do know he didnt finish the game ... don’t u? ...

Eds hero finished it up .... rofl

who didn't finish the game?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Jackson's 3 starts have been against Cincy, Oakland, and Atlanta. I cannot imagine a much easier intro to starting in the NFL.

Mayfield went 57-87 796 yards, 9 TD, 2 INT against those 3 defenses.

In fairness to the other rookie QBs, none have faced as easy a stretch.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess that depends on who it is you're giving credit for having them in position for the playoffs. See, you wish to boil it all down to the QB position. Yet you admit Baker is the better QB. You can't really have it both ways.

If you admit Baker is the better QB then it stands to reason Lamar isn't the only factor as to why the Rats are in a better position to compete for the playoffs.

Most around here would point to Hue and starting TT at the beginning of the season as the biggest reason we're not in the same position or even a better position than the Rats. You try to point it all on Lamar.

The image in the mirror may be closer than it appears.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Jackson's 3 starts have been against Cincy, Oakland, and Atlanta. I cannot imagine a much easier intro to starting in the NFL.

Mayfield went 57-87 796 yards, 9 TD, 2 INT against those 3 defenses.

In fairness to the other rookie QBs, none have faced as easy a stretch.

im sorry, how many turnovers did baker have against oakland?

and did we win or lose that game? don't worry, i'll wait.

- Theodore Roosevelt
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We definitely need at least one tackle maybe 2. As far as the coaching I really don't know at this point. I like FK but I have some reservations about GW becoming permanent HC. I'm leaning more toward an Offensive head coach because of Baker. He's our most important player and leader of the team at this point. JMO

Swish Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I guess that depends on who it is you're giving credit for having them in position for the playoffs. See, you wish to boil it all down to the QB position. Yet you admit Baker is the better QB. You can't really have it both ways.

If you admit Baker is the better QB then it stands to reason Lamar isn't the only factor as to why the Rats are in a better position to compete for the playoffs.

Most around here would point to Hue and starting TT at the beginning of the season as the biggest reason we're not in the same position or even a better position than the Rats. You try to point it all on Lamar.

The image in the mirror may be closer than it appears.

except i didn't put it all on lamar. as i've given massive credit to his defense, which keeps giving the ball back to the offense.

but flacco lost the last 3-4 games, and went down with injury. they were 4-5 with a stagnant run AND pass game, then lamar comes in, the run game magically picks up to the point that they are putting up MASSIVE rushing totals, the time of possession takes a wild turn into their favor, which is keeping the ravens defense completely fresh throughout the game. they just aren't tired at all.

its a team sport, but yes, lamar plays a huge factor into that. im not trying to have it both ways because you are making a false narrative to begin with.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Rookie QB's Mid Season Review

Link Copied to Clipboard