Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mac
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Thanks Mac! I would've said black bird, some kind of bird, and stringy bird. thumbsup

cal..I must admit, I did take ornithology in college...but it was a few years ago, lol.

I do believe that Tulsa nailed "stringy bird"...it does look like a Black Crowned Night Heron. It is not native to our area and I don't believe I've ever seen one. I totally misread the picture, thinking this was a smaller bird...this Heron is 23" to 28" tall at maturity. Missed by a little bit... grin

Mac, they hang out in this area throughout most of the year. You can see large numbers of them at the refuges along the Lake Erie shoreline.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jfan...I dug out my old Peterson's Field Guide and checked the "range map" and it shows exactly the information you referenced above..showing the range of the Black Crowned Night Heron located on the SW shore of Lake Erie and in the McGee Marsh area.

...but the Black Crowned Night Heron is not shown to be native to the interior of Ohio. Nesting habitat and the availability of food are likely key factors in location.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
If you ever get a chance, Magee Marsh and the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge are magical places during the spring bird migration. There are also more than a few active bald eagle nests in the area. It really is world class bird viewing. This area's where I get most of my bird pics

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
You mentioned that you studied ornithology in college.

We got a budgie (parakeet!!) three years ago - I don't know how we could spoil Charlie more than we do - and since then, I've thought that if I could do it again, I would apply myself to the sciences in high school and study ornithology in university. I find them fascinating to observe.

They're actually much smarter than given credit for; crows are tough; I see them putting the run to gulls and they're relentless.

Sorry I went off-topic, there are great photos in this thread, and I check in occasionally to look at them.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Crows are definitely smart. I won't post videos here, as that would/could take away from the thread. Just go to youtube and check out smart crows, or some variation on that

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I've been experimenting with different types of self-portraits as of late.

I liked how this silhouette came out.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
You mentioned that you studied ornithology in college.

We got a budgie (parakeet!!) three years ago - I don't know how we could spoil Charlie more than we do - and since then, I've thought that if I could do it again, I would apply myself to the sciences in high school and study ornithology in university. I find them fascinating to observe.

They're actually much smarter than given credit for; crows are tough; I see them putting the run to gulls and they're relentless.

Sorry I went off-topic, there are great photos in this thread, and I check in occasionally to look at them.

lamp..parakeets are very neat birds and make good pets because they are smart and have the ability to learn from humans. Crows are inquisitive and if there is something out of place within their domain, they will let everyone know it with their voice.

The beauty of the internet is that there is a ton of online information concerning ornithology if you want get more background on the subject. Cornell is one source you could check out to find more information on the subject...

https://academy.allaboutbirds.org/

Hope this helps...mac

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: jfanent
If you ever get a chance, Magee Marsh and the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge are magical places during the spring bird migration. There are also more than a few active bald eagle nests in the area. It really is world class bird viewing. This area's where I get most of my bird pics

jfan...my class final was a field trip to Magee Marsh but I'm sure it is much nicer, with better access now. I will put it on my "to do" list just to see the improvements made.

Speaking of eagles..one improvement I've noted is the number of eagles nesting here in farm country, Ohio. Growing up, seeing eagles and eagle nests was rare...but today, eagle sightings are much more common in this area.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Thanks Mac, I'll check it out.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Speaking of eagles..one improvement I've noted is the number of eagles nesting here in farm country, Ohio. Growing up, seeing eagles and eagle nests was rare...but today, eagle sightings are much more common in this area.

I used to be a volunteer eagle nest monitor for the division of wildlife. Back in the late 70's, we were down to 3 active nests in the state, all of which were on the Erie shoreline. None were producing viable eggs due to DDT pollution. Eggs were brought in from Tennessee and transplanted into those active nests, and the program took off due to the DDT ban and habitat restoration. We were up to over 100 active nests by 2002 when I quit the program. Eagles around here have been venturing far from the lakeshore seeking new areas for nests, and there are now nests in most counties in the state. You seriously can't drive down route 2 between Toledo and Port Clinton without seeing quite a few eagles.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
We keep getting "blessed" with this awful weather pattern that keeps my camera indoors frown

A little bit of zen from yesterday:

Full Size Panorama

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jfan..Being a nest monitor must have been a rewarding assignment...

In the late 60s, I remember just one eagle's nest located on the south side of Sandusky Bay. Convincing farmers in our area that pesticides were linked to the eagles decline, was a tough sell at that time.

For those who enjoy watching eagles, here is a live link to the Decorah Eagles nest in northern Iowa...enjoy.

https://explore.org/livecams/raptor-resource-project/decorah-eagles

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I love the story this photo tells.

Fullsize

Legend
Legend
Have you tried a circular polarizing filter up there? I'd bet that the colors and glare reduction with the sky, snow and water would be awesome. I have one but never really played around with it.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I tried a few times, but either I didn’t use it right or it didn’t make too much of a difference.

I’ve been working more at single point focus on my panos, and trying to avoid F22 on all my landscapes.

A lot of it has also been learning the fine tuning elements of a full frame rig, too.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I have tuned in to watch this Eagle and her nest. Tonight I noticed a mouse run from the bottom of the screen up to a few inches of the nesting mother then disappears into the branches of the nest...wow, talk about home delivery! What type of illumination are they using for the livecam?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
fish...mice do live in the nest but if they get too close, they can become a snack.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Another sunny day!

Link

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R

Legend
Legend
Nice job! Craters in daylight is really a challenge.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
It’s amazing how far down I can crop now!

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
A few pics from our trip to Thailand:

S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
A few pics from our trip to Thailand:

Beautiful!

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Hope you had an amazing time. Where’d you go?
My Thailand vacation was an epic epic trip. Spent time in Bangkok and Railay Beach. Beautiful country. Warm friendly people. Warm sunny skies. Amazing.

[Linked Image]
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
As soon as we got there wife's brother picked us up and drove straight to Chamni, it's in the Buri Ram province, maybe an hour north of Korat. Stayed with her family for 7 days, then back to Bangkok for 3 days.

We are going to try to make it an every year thing. We hadnt been in almost 13 years. 3 tickets were $3100. Wife got the AMEX card and she got 60,000 frequent flyer miles giving her 110,000, I've got 60,000. Next year I'm getting the card and the bonus miles. So in two years we will both have free tickets.

We only spent about $1300 the entire time we were there.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Next year we are going to stay with her brother a little in Pattaya City. We are going to look at houses while we are there. We are really thinking about moving there when I retire in 11 years. We could buy a really nice house now for $300/month and it would be paid off when moved there. Kinda hard squeezing that right now, but thinking really hard about, lol.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
We did the frequent flyer thing too. Tickets were $1100 each. We got $980 off one using miles. We only spent another couple grand over the rest of our trip. Spent two weeks in decent hotels in Bangkok and Railay, Thailand. Also Siem Reap, Cambodia. Flights between cities. Food. Transportation. Temples and attractions fees. Etc.

I really fell for the feel of SE Asia. I loved Thailand. It was great having an expat friend there to show us Bangkok.
I’m considering SE Asia as a retirement plan too. Just not sure we’re yet. Our next SE Asia destination is Vietnam. In 2020, unless my art takes me to Australia that year instead. (Fingers crossed)

[Linked Image]
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
I love SE Asia, been to Thailand over 30 times, 15 times to Vietnam, 5 times to Laos, and 1 time to Cambodia.

I loved Vietnam, Danang was the best. Biggest and best fried shrimp I've ever had, the most beautiful woman I have ever seen was in Danang. Hanoi was fun, maybe it's changed but after 6:00pm the entire city is dead.

Legend
Legend
I hope either your wife is from Danang, or that she doesn't read the board. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
LOL, she doesn't read the board. She knows though, I've told her before.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Yesterday, April 4 at 6:54 PM CDT, the eagle population increased by one...you can see the hatch in video below...

If you scroll through the comments you will see a bunch of neat pictures.

Last edited by mac; 04/05/19 12:33 PM.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
This is a live link to the eagle nest...we now wait for the 2nd egg to hatch...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've been paying close attention to this event since you first posted the link, Mac. I want to thank you for allowing me and a few of my friends to witness this spectacular occurrence.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Fish...enjoy..glad to share...the second egg hatched yesterday afternoon..now we get to watch the feeding sessions and how fast the little ones grow.

S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
A photo I took yesterday at Forest Hills Park, thanks for looking!

Last edited by sk8termom; 04/22/19 09:06 PM.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
I love SE Asia, been to Thailand over 30 times, 15 times to Vietnam, 5 times to Laos, and 1 time to Cambodia.

I loved Vietnam, Danang was the best. Biggest and best fried shrimp I've ever had, the most beautiful woman I have ever seen was in Danang. Hanoi was fun, maybe it's changed but after 6:00pm the entire city is dead.

Was just looking into some of the beaches around Danang. It’s in the running for places to see. I really would love to see the Golden Bridge. Some cool cave Temples in the area too.
Been trying to decide if I want to hit two cities in Vietnam or one city in Vietnam, and then Luang Prabang in Loas. It’s just that the northern coast of Vietnam, Halong Bay, looks breath taking. But Loas is still fairly untouched by heavy tourism. Which is alluring. Especially when you see some of the waterfalls and pools in the area.
I often think about what it would be like to be free to travel and see all the places I want to see. This planet and it’s people offer limitless opportunities to have your heart captured and breath taken. I’ve got 30ish years of travel left in me. My hope is I can check off a few more boxes before my time has come.

[Linked Image]
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
We are going back to Thailand in November. Tickets were $900, great price. Wife is very happy to see her family again. Daughter is staying home with my parents. I can retire in 9 years 3months, we are really thinking hard about retiring there. Already have a house we built, other than some minor stuff over the next 9 years it is ready for us. Just gotta finish these next years which is harder and harder every day.

Ive hit some sort of midlife crisis where I dont to even want to go to work, been in corrections for almost 27 years, Im done, but gotta do 9 more years Uuugggghhhh!

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
That's some phenomenal framing with the blossoms! Part of me wants to say "zoom out more to get all the branches in the frame", but then you'd also miss out on the framing of the reflection.

Either way, great pic!

S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist
That's some phenomenal framing with the blossoms! Part of me wants to say "zoom out more to get all the branches in the frame", but then you'd also miss out on the framing of the reflection.

Either way, great pic!

thanks so much!

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Sundog.

Larger

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Photography Thread...

Link Copied to Clipboard