Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
What's really bizarre is that we have 3 guys who, if they continue to develop, could be Pro Bowl players next year. (Mayfield, Ward, Chubb)

I could argue that Chubb and Ward should be in the Pro Bowl this year.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
We have a DROY candidate and he is our second best pick. That’s insane. The future is bright.

Very exciting!

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
We have a DROY candidate and he is our second best pick. That’s insane. The future is bright.

Very exciting!

One, not me, could even make the argument that Ward is our third best rookie behind Mayfield and Chubb.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Blake Williams gave a press conference today. In it he said that’s been calling the plays on defense the last two games. That is not insignificant. The Falcons game was an offensive day for the defense. Not coincidentally, we had Schobert back for these last two games.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/blake-williams-joe-schobert-is-a-football-junkie

I have to say, after giving this a full watch, this press conference was one of the most interesting I've seen a coach give. Williams gave a ton of insight into the inner workings of a coaching staff and how the week goes. He obviously hasn't had a mic in front of him very often because he was way too engaging.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Very exciting!

One, not me, could even make the argument that Ward is our third best rookie behind Mayfield and Chubb.

I'll raise my hand on that possibly being the case. I think an argument could be made for Chubb being a better rookie when the season is completed, no doubt about it....considering he just recently got the starting nod and has flourished since taking over. I think people like Ward, and rightfully so, because he started off strong week 1. Unfortunately for Chubb, he didn't get that chance with Hyde here.

Since the trade, Chubb has been 'lights out' each game. However, I'd like to see more of Chubb in the passing game. There is some concern about his pass blocking, which is warranted, but If he becomes the RB pass catching "weapon" for Mayfield, we'll have a complete back similar to Gurley, Elliot, Gordon, etc. Maybe not exactly like them, but I think you get my point.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
No doubt ... heck, they could be this year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

Damarious Randall was mic’d up last Sunday when he helped the Browns defeat their division rivals, the Cincinnati Bengals, 35-20. He recorded his 3rd interception and displayed a level of confidence that kept his teammates pumped up through the entire game.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Randall is becoming one of my favourite players. Loved it when he was jawing at the Bengal that Garrett was going to get him laugh

Loved seeing cameraderie between the O and D. I think we have the foundations of something truly special here.

Last edited by drobs; 12/01/18 09:38 AM.
Legend
Legend
I just hope that by the end of the season, I can shake this battered fan syndrome that’s keeping me nervous, with a 35 - 7 lead.

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Love the camaraderie and the attitude.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
I just hope that by the end of the season, I can shake this battered fan syndrome that’s keeping me nervous, with a 35 - 7 lead.

LOL, I was super nervous at 35-7.

B
All Pro
All Pro
B
Maybe 1 or 2 THIS FLIPPLING YEAR

[Linked Image from thumb0.webshots.net]
E
Legend
Legend
E

I wasn't nervous at all. I had a giant grin.

Because I saw how we played in the first half. And knew we could do it again if we had to.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

LOL, I was super nervous at 35-7.

I was actually calm, and excited. For once, my heart wasn't going 10,000 miles/hour.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
I was kinda bored ... NOT ... *L* ..

When it got to 15 and we went 3 and out i got that feeling ... for about a minute and then strangely it went away ... it was really wierd i was all of a sudden extremely calm .... really strange ..

Just another thing DIFFERENT about this year ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Another chance to prove your season-long point today Diam ... hope we come out firing

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Another chance to prove your season-long point today Diam ... hope we come out firing

We did, unfortunately it was at our own feet.

Growing pains against a very good team.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

#NoRealPlayers

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
It hits me like PTSD. I have these second-quarter reflex feelings of doom. It is like it is conditioned in after years of being a Browns fan (first presented itself in 1999. Just starting now to enjoy a lead and a win now and then.

There has to be some sort of 12-step program for Browns fans. Might need more like 16 steps for severe cases. . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

Very exciting!

At different times in games, each has shown how valuable they are. Off the field, no drama (except for Mayfield and his comments on Jackson)

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Very exciting!

At different times in games, each has shown how valuable they are. Off the field, no drama (except for Mayfield and his comments on Jackson)

IMHO Ward is clearly our best rookie, and 2nd best in the league behind Saquan.

He is already a top player in the league in his position, Baker and Chubb are still far from being on the top.

Legend
Legend
That's my thing .. even if we are "good" again next year with Baker and some experience, I'll still feel the dread of the past ... it would take a while to overcome

H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
j/c:

#NoRealPlayers

Here's the tweet for those it doesn't show up for: https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1070669772667392000

The short version is he's currently PFF's #7 rated CB, and was also very good last year.

It reminds me of McCourty's comments while he was still a Brown: https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/jason_mccourty_bugged_by_those.html

Quote:
"The talent in this locker room is not the talent to go win a Super Bowl this year, but this locker room is far more talented than 0-16," McCourty said after Sunday's 28-24 loss to the Steelers. "I'm kind of tired of hearing so many people say, even within the organization, is we don't have the guys or we need more guys. Let's work with the guys we do have and find ways to win games."

Quote:
McCourty added, "the whole season's been frustrating, to finish the way we finished and be on that side of history, very frustrating and I think myself and a lot of the guys in this locker room feel like we had enough talent to do a lot better than what we did.''

There's more in there. Those comments were likely part of why J-Mac was shipped out of town for such a small return. We had to keep up the charade that the old coach knew what he was doing, and a quality starting cornerback was part of the price for that.

Last edited by Haus; 12/06/18 11:36 AM.
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Speaking of the talent from last year, Danny Shelton is another guy we could use right now, given the Browns weakness against the run.

Aside from that, there are a lot of holdovers from last year. Just on defense:

Garrett, Ogunjobi, Ogbah, Schobert, Collins, Kirksey, Peppers, some others that I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You mean we didn't replace our entire 53 man roster in one off season?

saywhat

Do tell!

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
j/c

https://247sports.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/Article/Browns-defense-Ron-Rivera-comments-125946722/

Ron Rivera: Browns defense plays 'with an attitude'

The Cleveland Browns used to be the pushovers of the National Football League. No more - The Dawg Pound now has a lot of bite.

From the opening bell of the 2018 season, the Browns' defense has become one of the most menacing in the league, as the level of young talent they have acquired has begun to jell together: Defensive end Myles Garrett is becoming one of the top pass rushers in the entire league, and he has great compatriots on the defensive line in Emmanuel Ogbah and Larry Ogunjobi. At linebacker, they have Pro Bowlers Joe Schobert and Jamie Collins paired with productive rookie Genard Avery. Speaking of rookies, No. 4-overall draft pick Denzel Ward has quickly become elite at the cornerback position, and he has other stars in the defensive backfield such as safeties Damarious Randall and Jabrill Peppers with him.

With that considered, plus the fact that they play under notoriously aggressive defensive coordinator-turned interim Browns head coach Gregg Williams, it's no wonder why the Browns have forced the second-most turnovers in the league (14 interceptions, 13 forced fumbles) to go with 35 sacks. And that means that the Carolina Panthers will face a steep grade in trying to protect the football and move it up the field.

"They play with an attitude," said Panthers head coach Ron Rivera of the Browns. "Gregg Williams has done a real good job instilling that in his team: I think those guys are very aggressive, very physical. You really see it in terms of their defense, their attack style - Coach Williams is known for that."

As a defensive mind himself, Rivera stated that the Browns not only bring certain types of pressures, but they are also very sound in how they execute their basic coverages. But of course, personnel has a lot to do with the Browns' success on defense as well: Namely Garrett, last year's No. 1-overall pick, whose 11.5 sacks on the season are tied for fourth-most in the league - And remind Rivera of a future Hall of Famer on his team.

"If Myles can play for as long as Julius (Peppers) has, he will be right up there," Rivera stated on a conference call with Cleveland media. "The young man is just becoming a solid football player. Every time you watch him and you see him on tape, you see his athleticism just come through and his explosiveness as a football player."

Rivera also thinks well of both Randall and Jabrill Peppers - Peppers in particular, who Rivera stated the Panthers had liked in 2017, when they drafted Christian McCaffrey with the No. 8-overall pick.

"I like who that group is back there," said Rivera. "I think the future bodes very well for this football team, and this is a football team you have to pay attention to because of the athletes they have."

Although the Browns are coming off of a 29-13 loss to the Houston Texans that took the wind out of their sails somewhat following a two-game winning streak, sacking Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson four times and forcing two fumbles. In the past four weeks, the Panthers have allowed quarterback Cam Newton to be sacked as many times as he was in the entire first half of the year (12), but Newton has yet to lose any of his six fumbles - A stroke of luck that is in major jeopardy, given the way that Murphy's Law has taken hold in the Carolinas.

H
Haus Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
H
Not sure where to put this, but it does fit in with the discussion about talent and defense from a year ago to this year, so in this thread it goes:

DVOA is one of the signature metrics that FootballOutsiders uses. You can look at it as representing points, meaning a lower percentage is bad for the offense, but good for the defense. It takes into account game situation and many factors that traditional yards/points measures don't.

2017: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2018/final-2017-dvoa-ratings

Cleveland ranked dead last overall, but the breakdown is interesting. Offense was -20.1% (32nd), Defense 2.0% (16th), Special teams -5.1% (27th). So defense was middle of the pack, special teams were bad, offense was worst in the league but not by much. Probably not all that surprising.

Now for 2018: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teameff

Cleveland ranked 23rd overall, 21st in weighted DVOA (where recent games are weighted more heavily). This breaks down to 25th in offense, 10th in defense, 32nd in special teams. Again, probably not all that controversial.

Then you look at teams near the bottom. The two worst offenses are Buffalo (-36.4%) and Arizona (-37.4%), both FAR worse than the league-worst Browns offense of 2017 (-20.1%, as noted above).

Indeed, both San Francisco and Arizona have much worse overall DVOAs than the Browns of 2017 (San Francisco makes this bottom two because they are bad in all three phases, whereas the Bills have a very good defense.)

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed and a good read but we still need a few more pieces on D. A fast LB or 2, a run stopping DT, an edge rusher and maybe another CB. We're getting there and have more talent on D now than I can remember.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
IMHO Ward is clearly our best rookie, and 2nd best in the league behind Saquan.

He is already a top player in the league in his position, Baker and Chubb are still far from being on the top.
You realize you opinion on anything is about as solid as a bucket of nickelodeon slime right?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Haus
Speaking of the talent from last year, Danny Shelton is another guy we could use right now, given the Browns weakness against the run.

Aside from that, there are a lot of holdovers from last year. Just on defense:

Garrett, Ogunjobi, Ogbah, Schobert, Collins, Kirksey, Peppers, some others that I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

Clearly, you haven't read PitDawg's signature.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, having no QB had nothing to do with anything. Role players make for a winning roster.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Yeah, having no QB had nothing to do with anything. Role players make for a winning roster.

What does this have to do with your signature?

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
My signature is all about giving a guy a chance with some talent. If he can do well with that talent, fine, we have a coach. If he can't do well with that talent, then move on. He didn't do well so we moved on. I have no dea what your point was to begin with.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
My signature is all about giving a guy a chance with some talent. If he can do well with that talent, fine, we have a coach. If he can't do well with that talent, then move on. He didn't do well so we moved on. I have no dea what your point was to begin with.

How in the hell did you get that from Dorsey's comment? He flat out said this team had "no real players" when he took over. He was flat out wrong and walked it back. You should too. The difference is Dorsey was smart enough to correct his stance.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
No, he said what he meant then realized how it sounded. lol

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
No, he said what he meant then realized how it sounded. lol

Then why isn't that "corrected quote" not your signature instead? Oh, wait...I know why!

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Whats DVOA stand for?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
It hits me like PTSD. I have these second-quarter reflex feelings of doom. It is like it is conditioned in after years of being a Browns fan (first presented itself in 1999. Just starting now to enjoy a lead and a win now and then.

There has to be some sort of 12-step program for Browns fans. Might need more like 16 steps for severe cases. . . .

It would be a 12-stride program, we have more ground to cover.

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Whats DVOA stand for?

Defense-adjusted Value Over Average

Tackles are tackles.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Add to that Peppers SUCKED ... not even sure how u can count him as he started every play in what seemed like the LAKE ...

MG was healthy for almost the entire first game ... then ... he missed multiple games ...

How many game droid Ogbah play last year? ...

Obi doesnt even look like the same player this year ... i’m Sure that had ZERO to do with the natural 2nd year leap many take and had EVERYTHING To do with Hue being a CRAPPY COACH .... rolleyes ...

And QB Pit ... Naaaaaa ... any other coach would have had Kizer in the Pro Bowl last year ... rofl ...

I’ve said it before ... Hue gave the HATERS plenty of ammo ... crap like this just shows there animosity towards Hue .. and why IMO ...

U have about 5 RASTAS when it comes to Hue ... wink ...

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Film Room: Browns Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard