Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Perriman has been shockingly outstanding

It's nice to be on this end of the spectrum for a change, instead of always being the ones seeing their players go to other teams and having success.

thumbsup

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
S
Legend
Legend
S
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Quote:
Perriman has been shockingly outstanding

It's nice to be on this end of the spectrum for a change, instead of always being the ones seeing their players go to other teams and having success.

thumbsup

I'm not a huge fan of free agency, because dropping big bucks can really set your team back. I am a bigger fan of having good people in the front office who can identify players and situations like the one we have with Perriman. The Patriots are the kings of doing this, and I hope that is a trend we can echo.

Also, that call on the spot where they marked us short but replay showed we had it was total garbage. Unbelievable, especially after what happened earlier in the year in Oakland when we got jobbed. Unbelievable. The officiating in this league is not good enough.

W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W
Originally Posted By: Spergon FTWynn

Antonio Callaway needs to keep himself in check. Dumb penalty. Unnecessary.

Sutton spun the ball in our DBs faces several times after first downs, I would say this was one of the biggest chicken sh@# calls in the game.

The other was calling Perrimen for an Unsportsmanlike Conduct when Taylor had just punched him in the face. Perrimen did nothing, regardless of what he said, to warrant that penalty. Taylor was ejected, yet there were offsetting fouls? Garbage.

All in all, I am happy to be watching a team that is growing in front of our eyes. Mayfield is solid. Chubb is solid. Our receivers who couldn't catch a cold in the first six or eight games are making incredible plays. I'm not worried about playoffs, I just enjoy the Browns look like an legitimate NFL team now.

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
in terms of Callaway, I'm glad GW got angry and yelled at him. Hue woulda looked the other way

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

All Five....#NoRealPlayers. And Ogunjobi is playing with a torn bicep.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
W

Also, that call on the spot where they marked us short but replay showed we had it was total garbage. Unbelievable, especially after what happened earlier in the year in Oakland when we got jobbed. Unbelievable. The officiating in this league is not good enough.

Weird how they were able to "piece together the play" to say Hyde was short of the mark, but weren't able/interested in correcting the spot for Njoku. The officiating from one game to the next has gotten remarkably more horrible (and I'm not just referring to Browns' games).

#gmstrong.
Legend
Legend
anybody see what happens when collins actually feels like playing?

i mean he was all over the field last night making plays. he actually played like he got a big contract

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
The spot had to come from a ref shielded from the ball from behind the two tangled players. No way he could make that call. Maybe he could be put in charge of obvious offsides. Screwed on that again when it mattered.

Interesting over/under quick: How many plays overall in the 2nd half at Denver did nor get flagged with a penalty? IDNK, but you would might think they were getting paid piece work rates per flag thrown.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Peppers played simply incredible last night. I know people didn't like him last year, but I think playing in that much space was a good learning experience. He covered about 40 yards to make that INT last night. Showing more ball skills, being a beast in the box, making tackles...

He's turning into one hell of a player.

you had a good run Hank.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: WVDawg54

Antonio Callaway needs to keep himself in check. Dumb penalty. Unnecessary.

Sutton spun the ball in our DBs faces several times after first downs, I would say this was one of the biggest chicken sh@# calls in the game.

The other was calling Perrimen for an Unsportsmanlike Conduct when Taylor had just punched him in the face. Perrimen did nothing, regardless of what he said, to warrant that penalty. Taylor was ejected, yet there were offsetting fouls? Garbage.

All in all, I am happy to be watching a team that is growing in front of our eyes. Mayfield is solid. Chubb is solid. Our receivers who couldn't catch a cold in the first six or eight games are making incredible plays. I'm not worried about playoffs, I just enjoy the Browns look like an legitimate NFL team now.

I didn't get to the game until the 4th quarter. The 1st play I saw was the go ahead TD pass. After that, I saw the Broncos get 2 seconds after the play clock hit zero to get a play off without a penalty. I saw Chubb bust through the line for a long run and get brought down by his face mask. That didn't get called either.

The Browns played with grit and determination. I loved that GW went for it on 4th and 1. Though it should have been 4th and inches. Agree with those who would have preferred a different play call.

Vance Joseph sealed his fate when he kicked that FG on 4th and 1 from the 6. Broncos ooking for a new HC and a new Qb after the season.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
There were two uncalled facemark penalties, the other was on Juice. There was the bad spot, and the botched delay of game. But hey, we overcame them all. As BS as it was.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
One thing that I also like: we have a RB that can salt away a game. THat's huge

Yep, and he is leading the league with YAC.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
There were two uncalled facemark penalties, the other was on Juice. There was the bad spot, and the botched delay of game. But hey, we overcame them all. As BS as it was.

Apparently facemasking has become legal in the NFL. Has impressive a run the Derrick Henry had last week, it should have been called back. He clearly grabbed a Db's facemask and used it to through him to the ground. Impressive feat of strength but highly illegal.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
there were two uncalled facemasks that i can recall

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Post-game thought:

I'm sick of seeing this huddle:

...as often as I see either team huddling.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
it seems like it's getting worse with ref huddles too ... every other minute in the 4th

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Post-game thought:

I don't get it. The foul is called, you tell the head guy the infraction and you assess the penalty. What are they discussing? It's either a foul or not. I think they should have to have the mike on when doing this.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Post-game thought:

I don't get it. The foul is called, you tell the head guy the infraction and you assess the penalty. What are they discussing? It's either a foul or not. I think they should have to have the mike on when doing this.

rofl ....

At least that was funny ....

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Post-game thought:

rofl ....

What's really funny is that most of these guys have jobs. "Professionals." Yeah, right.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
And they pulling in anywhere from 130k - 170k at there part time jobs that according to the CLUELESS they suck at ... not a bad gig ...

Good for them ... thumbsup

A
Legend
Legend
A
And they pulling in anywhere from 130k - 170k at there part time jobs that according to the CLUELESS they suck at ... not a bad gig ...

For people that have never stuck their neck out to officiate, umpire, ref, it's easy to gripe.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

For people that have never stuck their neck out to officiate, umpire, ref, it's easy to gripe.

I've been a Ref many times. My gripe is not with the refs at all. Drives me crazy when people make this point.

My gripe is with the NFL. We have CAMERAS. They are extremely high quality. You can see everything. You could actually get even better than they are choosing to show.

We have a centralized authority in New York now. There is no reason why penalties can't be challenged and why rules are so purposely obtuse. It is game rigging, 100%. I'm not saying they are pulling for any specific teams but they are not calling it as fair as they know they can and that's just wrong IMO.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Post-game thought:

rofl ....

I know you like to defend officials, and I get why. But with all your knowledge, explain to me why the ball wasn't spotted correctly after the review, not that it was a first down, but the spot was way short clearly by every review. Also how is Callaway flagged for making the first down signal while not even jawing the guy, meanwhile their guy is jumping in their faces and spinning the ball everytime?

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I know you like to defend officials, and I get why. But with all your knowledge, explain to me why the ball wasn't spotted correctly after the review, not that it was a first down, but the spot was way short clearly by every review. Also how is Callaway flagged for making the first down signal while not even jawing the guy, meanwhile their guy is jumping in their faces and spinning the ball everytime?

Yes thank you. My brother and I kept track and the Broncos had +130 yards worth of penalties called/no-called. That's crazy. That's not "one play". I wanna believe it's just an accident but this is a billion dollar industry, they don't employ idiots.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Look ... i only defend them when you guys are just talking about sumptin u know nothing about .. it sounds harsh but its not meant to be ... its true .. this isn’t that easy ... i actually started to do this to give u guys some insight into whats going on cause i have experience at it .. was insulted and lambasted from the get go ...

No problem answering questions ... i’m done with the classless crew ...

The spot ....

On the field ....

The line judge had a lot going on ... he had to determine where the ball was when his forearm hit ... it was being extended and everything happenend right near the sideline ...

HIS EYES first focus is when he goes down vs when he goes out of bounds ... then he has to figure out where to spot the ball ... that was harder in this case as he was extending the ball as he went down ... and this happenend before the sideline ... that’s KEY ... from that officials angle its much easier to spot when u can use the hash marks/boundary as your “guide” ... not sure if you’ll understand what i mean ...

He APPEARED to have enough of an angle so he wasn’t straightlined ..

That is a TOUGH SPOT ... i wont defend he missed it but I sure as all hell will defend how hard that was ON HIM ....

And BTW ... when i started trying to educate u guys ... i was bombarded with insults and lambasted ... i’m No snowflake like some ... u bite me .. i bite back .. i dont meltdown like a 2 year old ...

UNLESS you’ve done it .. U HAVE NO CLUE ...

Now ... the officials review .... i believe it was Jester that pointed out the difference in the review from the Faiders game ... COULDNT HAVE AGREED MORE WITH HIM ...

After the season i’ll Find out if there’d different replay officials assigned to each game ... not sure how that works .. that part we got HOSED on again ...

Why ... INCONSISTENCY between OFFICIALS ... thats all i can think of ... cause our dude pieced it together ... this dude OBVIOUSLY DIDNT ... we didnt get the 1st down but it was a 1/2 yard short at least ..

Ask anyone u know thats officiated ... arch has called pitches ... ask him what one of the biggest gripes about officials are ... in my experience two things are constants ...

- why aren’t u guys approachable ... i get asked that cause i’m Approachable ...

- INCONSISTENCY between officials and between crews ...

I wont defend the replay dude ... i’ll Find out when the seasons over how it works ... more than likely just inconsistency between the replay officials ....

Ferrara or whatever his name is told u guys why Calloway was penalized and Sutton was not .. and he was right ... IF U HAD ASKED ME I WOULD HAVE SAID THE SAME THING ... ooops ...

Sutton was NEVER jawing with or looking the defender in the eye ..... Sutton was trying to get away from the bodies ... he tripped over our defenders feet in his rush to spin it one time ... he was just being an idiot ....

Callaway and dude jawed .. they got in each other’s face and then Calloway while STARING at him gave the 1st down signal ...

After the game when we talked I’d have told my partner in the Locker room it was WEAK and he should not have thrown it ... i’m Guessing if u asked him after he had a chance to think about it .. he’d of agreed ...

Calloway opened the door by not looking downfield or away from dude he was in the “altercation” with ...

The part i didnt understand about that one .. if its a testy game i would have thrown that just to get control game .. that wasn’t a testy game by any stretch ...

I won’t defend the call .. but i certainly understand that call and have NO PROBLEMS with it ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
You’ve officiated and u think they cheat ... thats interesting ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You’ve officiated and u think they cheat ... thats interesting ...

Well, I mean, I've only done it at the high school, flag football and intramural college level, so we didn't have fancy cameras and replay and such.

You see it you, you called it.

I'm saying the REFS ARE NOT CHEATING. Migh've not made that clear. I'm saying the NFL has practices in operation that are not fair.

I don't blame the people on the field, they are running around, getting booed, yelled at, etc. just trying their best in an imperfect system.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I understand that .. u think they cheat at a higher level ... i get it .. i find it interesting ... i dont mean that in a bad way .... thats an entirely different can of worms i’m Not sure how i feel about ...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I understand that .. u think they cheat at a higher level ... i get it .. i find it interesting ... i dont mean that in a bad way .... thats an entirely different can of worms i’m Not sure how i feel about ...

I think you are not understanding what I'm saying.

I'll try one more time then walk away.

NFL REFS DO NOT CHEAT (not as some kind of conspiracy anyways, can't vouch for each one)

NFL ORGANIZATION PURPOSELY MAKES THE RULES CONFUSING AND DOESN'T ALLOW PENALTY CHALLENGES TO CREATE MORE EXCITING MOMENTS AND SOME OTHER REASON WE ARE NOT PUBLICLY PRIVY TO.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Ok ...got it ....

Sometimes its hard to communicate on here ...

Have a good evening dawg ... thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Just to be clear- my only reason for posting about the stripes is because of how much of my football-watching time is spent with these dudes on my TV screen. It's annoying as anything.

A few games back, Brownies were involved in a game where there was almost no laundry on the field. It was a fun game to watch. Fast-paced, both teams playing in rhythm... good-looking football.

I'm a fan of games that look like that.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
D
Legend
Legend
D
Not a fan of either it dawg ... way to much of it going on ... theres reasons for it ... there is entirely to many flags this year also ... not sure why that is ....

-like Myka said in not so many words that over the last 5 years they’ve made rules for safety that are extremely subjective and the more gray area surronding a call the harder it is to make ...

That’s caused alot of officials to retire early ... at all positions but especially at the Referee spot ...

So right now you have 2 or 3 Referees that have been rushed into their spots ... they should still be side judges/backjudges or linesman but were put in a sot there not ready for .. being an R isn’t easy ....

It also means u have way to many inexperienced officials at all the other positions ...

They put in two more safety rules this year that made it even harder ... combine that with all the “green” officials and u have a recipe for diseaster ... thats what this year has been ...

I only started doing this to shed some light on sumptin most dont know or understand ... it hasn’t turned out so well SO FAR ... *L* ...

For those that want some insight, I’ll be more than happy to provide some ... have questions, i’ll answer them ...

Not engaging with the folks that just wanna ridicule and act they have a clue ... i learned a lot in the cess pool ... sometimes i have trouble remembering the lessons ... thumbsup

A
Legend
Legend
A
Eh, I agree with you.

I don't do football, just softball. And for me, at this point, just J.V. high school on down to the lowest levels - like, 8U.

I don't gripe at ref's like I used to. I could go into so many instances: instances where the fans don't have a clue what the rules are. Instances where I did in fact mess up, and the angst that comes with that. Instances where coaches get in my face just for show. Instances where fans cuss you out, even follow you to your vehicle. (I won't do ASA games in Toledo, for that exact reason)

Yes, for football fans sitting at home, watching endless replays, it's easy to say "Damn, ref, you missed that call." And sometimes they do. Last night, the delay of game that wasn't called, the facemask that wasn't called.

It happens. Unless someone puts on their big boy pants and ref's games they don't understand.

Again, softball. I knew all the rules when I was nothing but a fan, OUTSIDED the fence, and my opinion didn't matter. Since I've become an umpire, INSIDE the fence, and truly KNOW the rules? And the call is dependent on me? It can be tough.

There's a reason that baseball and softball officials are getting hard to find: Not enough people are willing to subject themselves to the abuse of the fans/coaches.

Football can't be much different, although at the nfl level, they get paid very well. And with better pay, we expect more, right?

People don't want to be officials anymore. As we were told last year during the yearly meetings: It won't be long until OHSAA goes to only having 1 licensed official per game because their aren't enough umpires to use 2 per game.

Heck, it's December 16th, and I've already gotten about 25 emails about doing softball, starting in March. (and so has every other umpire in the area).

And these aren't coming from the OHSAA site. These are coming directly from AD's at area high schools. Hell, I'm even getting e-mails from the Cleveland and Columbus areas (as are other umps).

March to May, if I desired, I could easily do 6 games a week. Get to June, and summer ball? 10 games a week, and for some weekend tournaments? Heck, 6 games a day on Sat. and sunday, plus 2 or 3 on friday nights.

And you get bitched at each game. Often times by parents that don't even know the rules.

Like Diam, I am approachable. As I tell the coaches before the game though: If you want to come out and question me on a rules call? Please do so, in a respectful manner. I'll listen. We'll get it right. But, if you come out yelling and screaming over a judgment call? Ball or strike? Safe or out? Watch it.

Eh, I blathered on, my bad.

Yes, in the nfl, we expect the best. Out of the officials. Yet when a player runs the wrong route on a pass (which too many people cant see), or when a back misses the hole, or when a defender does the right thing but the O makes a better move............etc?

Let's just say, I'd like to see the fans that gripe the most take the classes and put their tails inside the fence.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: Xanthros
I was listening to Sirius XM on my way home from my gig tonight and I just wanted to mention that while the last time Cleveland beat Denver was 1990, the last time they won IN Denver was 1972. Can’t wait to watch the recording tomorrow.

Go Dawgz

I remember that game. Weird that it was supposed to be the game that Mike Phipps finally broke through and was then going to be a star for years. I think Chuck Heaton wrote ab article for Football Digest title "The Maturing of Mike Phipps". That obviously never materialized.

Legend
Legend
Hard to understand how a sideline official misses a facemask play like that. I mean they are right there looking at inbound/out of bounds plays?

On top of that what is holding? I mean I see it called. I see it not called all the time. Really what is holding?

Some of the officiating calls I see weekly are horrible.

There has to be a better way. I know camera replays can not be used but damn the calls change games.

D
Legend
Legend
D
U wanna ask me a question bone ... i’ll give u some insight on the above ...

Just ask ...

D
Legend
Legend
D
U didn’t blather on arch ... for anyone that’s ever done it ... we get it ...

Lots going on there on so many levels folks don’t understand ...

One of the things these guys don’t seem to understand is one of the reasons U and I are a lot less harsh on them is cause we’ve missed calls and know how they feel ... when i first started i was incredibly lucky because of who i knew and who trained me ... one of them told me 1000 times ...

The game your doing today regardless of the level is important to the players, the coaches and the fans ... they worked hard and devoted thre time to this ... the least u can do is give them your best effort every time out ...

U know exactly what that means .... these guys never give it any thought and wonder why anyone would need to be told that .... i always gave him the middle finger as he was a good friend and he knew I only did things one way ... i don’t half butt nuttin and he knows that ...

Wow ... one ump on varsity softball or just JV games? ...

And its not easy dealing with the players, coaches and fans ... sometimes its a task dealing with your partner ... if you’ve worked with enough u know exaclty what i mean ...

Thanks for sharing arch ...

I’ll chat about this anytime with U ....

K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
U wanna ask me a question bone ... i’ll give u some insight on the above ...

Just ask ...

We're asking.

Explanation please.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Haven't read other posts yet. My thoughts:

- The time out. Yikes. Fourth and a foot. I see the hard count strategy, and it worked. But if that was your plan, then you do not call the timeout until the last second.

- Going for it, instead of the FG to go up by 4. Stupid move. Denver has a really good FG kicker, and we were in Denver. Go up by 4, and they need a TD. Stay up by 1, they need a FG. Which means getting to the 40 instead of the end zone. Huge difference.

- Their RB was a non-factor. Nice work. Late in the game it was 12 rushes for 15 yards. Peeled off a decent run after that, but overall was kept in check.

- A few very untimely penalties. A hold that negated a long run. Perriman's retaliation that offset a big penalty by their D (though I get it). Denver's TD drive extended by 2 big penalties.

- Nice sack to end the game.

- Huge win. Really nice to get a W when Bake was not on his game. And he wasn't. Accuracy an issue this week. Terrible pick. But he did OK otherwise. And, a huge win.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I hate that I missed it. Didn't even know there was such a thing as a Saturday game =(

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2018 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 17 Broncos 16 Post Game Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard