Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

Legend
Legend
There are a ton of good arguments for and against the electoral College.. I'm not sure which way is the best to go.. Much studying needs done.

As for any president being able to pardon himself, REALLY, is that a thing? Seriously.. Can a president pardon himself?

I'm all for that to be made impossible.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I understand what the electoral college was first intended to do. Now it serves a different purpose.

I'm not a fan of the Popular Vote Idea. But I also don't like the way the Electoral College is at this point. I'd rather keep the college, but give out votes proportionally instead of winner take all.

Winning a state by 1,000 votes shouldn't give you all the delegates. It should give you a percentage portion of what you earned.

In a state like mine (Connecticut), where politicians only come to fundraise at expensive dinners for our wealthiest, I feel like i never get a chance to see a candidate. This would give me a chance because candidates wouldn't take for granted that all our votes will go Democrat. They'd be working for something more than fundraising dollars.

Small states like Wyoming and Vermont should be protected so that their people get a chance to feel represented by the government by having the electoral college.

And states like Ohio and Florida won't get all the coverage because they're "battleground" states. They won't be so important, which seems fair to me.

IMO, Democrats will be winning the popular vote for some time. As long as Texas continues to go more and more blue (which it is), the democrats will continue to win the Popular Vote. While the state might stay Red, the margin will continue to decrease. Meanwhile California's margin will probably stay the same.

My system is more equatable. The small states will still have an advantage (as their population counts more per vote, so they won't be forgotten), while a state like Florida won't send all their votes one way or another in a nail biter election (making the candidate who loses that state's efforts a complete waste)

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
All they have to do is get the Senate to agree and the President to sign it.

Baw

Haw

BahHawhahahahahahahahaha snort rofl

R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Hey 40...Why do you have throw cold water on the poor dems. schemes to rig the elections shame on you.....LMAO

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
I think that if an electoral college could work in the 20th century, it needs to place the voter in the state they grew up in. Republican states can no longer mismanage themselves to where every Democrat leaves, and they win presidential land slide victories.

Legend
Legend
Good. Get rid of it. It’s an outdated system.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Riley01
Hey 40...Why do you have throw cold water on the poor dems. schemes to rig the elections shame on you.....LMAO

Oh you are right, making the votes of people actually count would be rigging the election. smh

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING

Baw

Haw

An amendment like this would be a death knell to the troglodyte voter. No more grip on major parties based in hate.

And this can be done without consent from your side if States call for a convention. How many States are run by Dems right now?

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/04/19 01:19 PM.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Winning a state by 1,000 votes shouldn't give you all the delegates. It should give you a percentage portion of what you earned.

How would that work?

A state has 25 Electoral votes (that would be 100%)

Candidate A gets 3 Million votes

Candidate B gets 2 million votes

Candidate A therefore receive 15 electoral votes

Candidate B therefore received 10 Electoral Votes

Do I have that right?

I could deal with that. I think it means my vote would count again...

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend

Baw

Haw

And you think that's funny..... geez

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Riley01

Republicans complaining about rigging schemes,,, That's precious.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
I support this bill. It's pure common sense and fair to all.

BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Hard to imagine that people in OHIO want to diminish their voices. Is it only because your candidate lost?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: BpG
Hard to imagine that people in OHIO want to diminish their voices. Is it only because your candidate lost?

Trump won 37 states, Hill won 13. Liberals want to make this the United States of California.

P
Legend
Legend
P

I think you can look at it from both directions.

Gerrymandering has made the electoral college a joke. Nothing it was intended to be.

Now if your party gains from this you would want to continue the status quo.

Now if your party had lost two presidential elections by winning the popular vote by millions and still losing the election you would want that changed.

But there are some factors I think are worth considering here. On average a state is awarded one electoral vote for every 565,166 people. Now let's take a state like Wyoming. Wyoming has three electoral votes and only 532,668 citizens (as of 2008 estimates). As a result each of Wyoming's three electoral votes corresponds to 177,556 people. Understood in one way, these people have 3.18 times as much clout in the Electoral College as an average American.

States such as Alaska, N. Dakota, S. Dakota and Nebraska also have very skewed numbers favoring the power of those populations in voting power.

The figures I'm using come from https://www.fairvote.org/population_vs_electoral_votes and are based on 2008 populations.

New York have rates 51st in per vote power. California rates 49th per voter power.

So as you can see, the range varies wildly in how much power your vote actually has based on where you live.

Now I understand that the current system tries to give each state equal representation, yet, how far can we go to maximize the power of one citizens vote only to devalue the power of another citizens vote?

I'm not sure as to the answer to this question yet I do find the current system far too skewed to be considered fair.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

Trump won 37 states, Hill won 13. Liberals want to make this the United States of California.

Yet the power of a voter in California ranks 51st in the country.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It has worked for X amount of years. It was ok until the spoiled left lost and started crying.

BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Yeah that does not seem fair. There isn't a great answer on one hand the votes count less in more populated, more homogeneous states. On the other you'd be neutering the other 50 states which just off the top of my mind would likely not help the country and lets be honest with ourselves would likely lead to political, interstate violence if not war.

I think Trump took advantage of this and that's why Dems want it gone, in part due to their derangement about the man and in part that yeah it sucks for them. I don't like that someone can take advantage like that, but it wasn't exactly a secret either, Hilary didn't need to call people deplorable. She could have just as easily kept her mouth shut and campaigned in those states.

I am absolutely spit balling here but being an Ohioan I absolutely do not want New York and California being the only political lobbying grounds.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It has worked for X amount of years. It was ok until the spoiled left lost and started crying.

Yet you seem to think that it's fine for a state to have over three times the voting power per person than average. You mean it works for you?

#gmstrong
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
The first thing I learned in the work force was that "that's how we always have done it" was the wrong approach.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well I wasn't considering the last presidential election into all of that. I didn't think either party ran a candidate worthy of the office of president. I stand by that to this day.

But it's the second time it's happened. Gore lost the same way.

And I'm not saying every state should be identical in population by electoral college vote. But they should be much closer. When margins can reach 2.5 to 1 and over 3 to 1 advantage depending on where you live, something is way out of whack.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

It's why they have been importing illegals and driving out the middle class like in New York and California. willynilly

They are trying to give Illegals the right to vote in local elections in places in California. notallthere

P
Legend
Legend
P
Another Trump lie being spread by our usual troll.

#gmstrong
BpG Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I think it's somewhere in-between. Importing? No, but they at least have a passive understanding that if these people get in and are able to vote the majority of them will probably vote democrat. I can't see them being dumb enough to not understand that as a very real possibility if not full on probable.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Another Trump lie being spread by our usual troll.

Why are you a TROLL?
Why do you consider yourself a TROLL?

O
Legend
Legend
O

We all live in the US under the same government. Every vote should count equally. If your politics are truly mainstream then you have nothing to worry about by this happening. I remember when California was a great Republican state that produced the likes of Reagan. BUT those republicans would be far left today.

I have no issue with majority rule.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/04/19 04:00 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And on the flip side the GOP loves the cheap labor they garner from illegals. People act as though this is a one sided issue when business loves illegals as much as democrats do.

Let's face it, Reagan gave amnesty to millions of illegals and Obama deported more of them than any other president. The right loves to force feed the message that it's the Dems who want their votes, but history dictates it's not a Dem vs GOP issue.

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

Baw

Haw

Constitutional Amendments don't require presidential signature. They require 2/3 of the House & Senate approve of the proposal and send it to the states for a vote. Then 3/4 of the states to ratify. (but you made your point)

Speaking of constitutional amendments, Sen. Ted Cruz and Rep. Francis Rooney proposed a Constitutional amendment to impose term limits on members of both houses of Congress.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/term-limits-ted-cruz-proposal/index.html

P
Legend
Legend
P
But his proposal was a bit odd I thought. He proposed two terms each for both the congress and senate. That would give senators a much longer time in power than the congress. But then again, he's a senator.

#gmstrong
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I don't know what the right answer would be... 3&2, 2&2, but it nice the conversation is starting.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
4 and 2. Give em 12 years each. We don't need to see the efficiency of the two party system streamline their political talent into a presidential pipeline. The problem with Congress is that it's essentially 1 year of work and 1 year of campaigning for their chair. That's why the most powerful Congressmen are just the biggest funders of the party.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree that the term limits should add up to equal time.

But I have to give old Ted kudos here. It's high time there were some serious conversations about it.

I don't see where the people in congress and the senate would have any actual incentive to help undermine their own political power, but the conversation has to start somewhere.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Baw

Haw

And you think that's funny..... geez

C'mon - that was funny!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
The purpose of the EC is to prevent large states from overpowering the smaller states. If we get rid of the EC, the campaign trail would consist of New York, Florida, Texas and California and to hell with the rest of the country. Fair? Hardly. Then again, liberals have a messed up definition of fair when they think a 70% tax rate is fair.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Squires
The purpose of the EC is to prevent large states from overpowering the smaller states. If we get rid of the EC, the campaign trail would consist of New York, Florida, Texas and California and to hell with the rest of the country. Fair? Hardly. Then again, liberals have a messed up definition of fair when they think a 70% tax rate is fair.

So your definition of fair is that because you live in BFE that your one vote should be equivalent to 10s or 100s of people that live in big cities? Fair? Hardly. Then again, GOPers are so full of themselves they never see other people.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
If you go to a pure population vote then many small states no longer have a reason to stay a part of a united states because they will have no voice. Right now politicians have to go and earn the votes. IF you change it to a popular vote half the states won't even matter anymore and the only thing politicians will do is go to a few big cities and ignore the rest of America.

Thats OK let all your food get grown by corporations and be laced with GMO and other toxic qualities. Watch how fast regular farmers stop growing food when you tell them their voice doesn't matter anymore.

The house of representatives is where the popular voice is heard. The senate where all states are equal. The electoral college is the only fair way for ALL states of have a fair shot at having a voice on who is the President.

This nonsense goes through and chances are it rips the country apart as the smaller population states decide it's not worth being controlled without a voice.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
But his proposal was a bit odd I thought. He proposed two terms each for both the congress and senate. That would give senators a much longer time in power than the congress. But then again, he's a senator.

I'm fine with term limits to limit the number of lifetime politicians. Then again only being run by newbies and having no senior statesmen could be bad too. Perhaps 4 terms of congress and 2 of the senate.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Wah Wah Wah, democrat, democrat, democrat. I don't understand the electoral college or what it was meant to do, Whah!

The electoral college will be here for a very long time to come because its the way the founders intended. Anyone who disagrees with the general principles of the electoral college doesn't understand why it was invented.

It does its intended job every single presidential election and it performs well. Its a true indicator for what the combined states in the US want or vote for across the geographic regions.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
No way won’t ever happen. The GOP would never win another election and they all know it.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) introduces bill to eliminate electoral college

Link Copied to Clipboard