Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend

The Dead covered so much ground over such a long time. There is plenty for all to pick and choose.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Tyler_Derden
When it comes to the dead, I can only get into their live stuff....dicks picks....and my favorite dbl disc Europe 72

Try the album Live Dead. It’s more loose than Europe but man there’s some great energy and grooves to be explored on that album if you give it a try.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Off the beaten path. I don't know.

I have been a Tom Waits fan for over 30 years. He is one of the most creative musicians I have ever seen or heard.

Here is an early piece.

Legend
Legend

This is a later song by Tom.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
This is group that’s pretty known on the west coast and Hawaiian islands. Not sure about the Midwest. The end of this song, from about 4:57 on, has been in commercials. So it’s likely you’ve heard it in the background at some point. Now you’ll know the artist.
A quick intro to Nahko and Medicine for the People.
Nahko is the singer songwriter for the band, and the primary ‘actor’ in the attached video. The album that this song comes off of, Dark as Night, released in 2013, kinda tells his story. If you’re interested look it up his background. A mixed race kid with a rough start from the word go. It’s pretty hard story. Follow this if you’re interested... https://www.hamhigh.co.uk/etcetera/music...yself-1-4629174
In opposition to this, his music is primarily uplifting. At times bordering on spiritual. Even when the topics he’s speaking to are dark. There’s some real heart throughout that entire album.
Anyway... kind of an island song to make all you suffering through the frigid temps remember the warm. What a beautiful life. I Mua.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

One of my best high school friends played for Buddy Rich. So we used to go see him play when ever possible. If you think you have ever seen a good drummer and you never saw Buddy play. Check this out from beginning to end.

Legend
Legend
He was one of my heroes growing up. Man, I loved it when he would go on the Tonight Show. He made me become a drummer in school ..... but I think that I could have practiced for 100 years and never even started to approach his level of speed and precision. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend

I was maybe two arm lengths away from him when he did that exact solo.

I was telling John Shirino a drummer who played behind Wayne Newton about how he did the ending. Completely sick.

It was like watching a hummingbird's wings. I would think any drummer who had not seen him and then did would feel like burning his sticks.

I have watched guys like Max Roach, Joe Morello, Grady Tate, Philly Joe Jones. All masters. But nobody could solo like Buddy.

He had a huge ego and rightfully so. He was also great inside a band no matter the size or type of composition.

You just have to be born that way to have that type fast twitch muscles, timing, coordination etc.

You watch that it feels like your eyes are lying.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Okay, to take this thread back to ‘off the beaten path’ from the well known Tom Waits’ and Buddy Rich’s of the world, no offense bone, here’s a singer songwriter name John Moreland.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Honestly, I don't know what some folks know.

I didn't mean to get off base.

I just threw a Buddy solo in there because it was so cool and felt most younger people would have no idea who he was.

Waits, I would not consider main stream but yes he is not obscure either.

Legend
Legend

The buddy solo was the most BA thing I've seen on here. Was never more than a name to me before I watched that.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Honestly, I don't know what some folks know.

I didn't mean to get off base.

I just threw a Buddy solo in there because it was so cool and felt most younger people would have no idea who he was.

Waits, I would not consider main stream but yes he is not obscure either.

All good. And you’re correct you never know who others’ know. I knew of Buddy and Tom. Buddy was a monster. I’m not much a fan of Tom’s music. He’s a musical and vocal Thorazine drip. Lyrically he’s a great storyteller.
In the same genre I much prefer John Hiatt. A similarly great lyricist with a better voice.

I wouldn’t consider John Hiatt off the beaten path. But who knows what others’ know.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Mind boggling is it not?

So funny I saw some list of what somebody called the top 10 drummers. Buddy was not even on the list. I just laughed.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
More than a couple of you liked Miss Melody Gardot. I'm not saying this girl is as good as the divine Gardot, but she is similar in several respects. Don't be too harsh w/your initial judgement and let it linger for awhile. She isn't well-known at all, but I think she is pretty dame good.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Jeff Buckley. American singer songwriter that sadly didn’t live long enough to get the acclaim he deserved. He drowned in 1997 while swimming in a river. He was only 30 years old.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Jeff Buckley. American singer songwriter that sadly didn’t live long enough to get the acclaim he deserved. He drowned in 1997 while swimming in a river. He was only 30 years old.

AND, son of Tim Buckley, who also died way too soon and who released some wonderful albums.

I have a story about Jeff Buckley....In the early 90s I lived in Albany, NY for two years and while there a buddy called me up and said his friend, who is a musician, was in town from NYC and he wanted to introduce him to me. They came over, we listened to some of my records, drank beer and talked about music. Eventually the conversation turned to him and he said he was a bassist and had just finished recording an album with a guy named "Jeff Buckley" and that he had a cassette on him taken from the masters and would play it for me if I was interested. That evening we listened to the entire 'Grace' album before it was released to the world and I was nearly in tears with how astonishing it was/is. I told him I had never heard of Jeff and he just looked at me, smiled, took a swig of his beer and said...."You will".

I moved to London later that summer/early fall and the name "Jeff Buckley" was all over the British music press and standing next to Jeff in the many photos was also Mick, the same guy who was in my apartment and who played me 'Grace' before others had heard it. He was right...I did end up hearing about him and so did many, many other people around the world.

I have since picked up several of his dad's records too. Well worth checking out. At times eccentric and odd, but very, very good. 'Starsailor' is my favorite from Tim.

Legend
Legend

Music has always been simple to me. You either like it or you don't.

It can cross all kinds of time and genre's.

Legend
Legend

Interesting she is good. I will listen to more. Similar but Melody just grabs me.

Legend
Legend
I would not consider myself a country music fan. But there are songs and artists that I like.

Gram Parsons is one that I like. Again some may know him. I don't know. He died very young 27 but he left a mark.

I always liked this song that he wrote about his mother who died when he was young.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
You guys need to drink more beer.

The Sick Bed of Cuchulainn-The Pogues

Indecision may,or maynot,be my problem
B
Legend
Legend
B
I liked how Buddy incorporated striking the mic into the body of the composition.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: BCbrownie

You’re right, I’d need to be drunk to enjoy the Pogues. Very, very drunk.
tongue

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

tongue

Or, you would have to be a dentist! thumbsup

Shane MacGowan has THE gnarliest teeth, EVER!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: bonefish
I would not consider myself a country music fan. But there are songs and artists that I like.

Gram Parsons is one that I like. Again some may know him. I don't know. He died very young 27 but he left a mark.

I always liked this song that he wrote about his mother who died when he was young.

Excellent call bone! Excellent.

I too am not a country fan, but when I do listen I tend to go for hippie west coast country like Gram as well. I don't consider it country, however. Instead I think of it "Cosmic American Music".

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan

tongue

Or, you would have to be a dentist! thumbsup

Shane MacGowan has THE gnarliest teeth, EVER!

Another side effect of over indulgence of cocaine.
And getting drunk with the Pogues is kinda the point.

Legend
Legend

The harmony between Gram and Emmylou Harris on songs like "Love Hurts" from the Angel album is unreal.

They were magic together.

His death was a shame. There is a story there. His wishes were to be cremated and ashes spread in Joshua Tree National Monument. His step father made arrangements to be buried in Louisiana. His friends stole his body and took to it Joshua Park. Poured gallons of gas on the coffin. What remained ended up in a Louisiana graveyard.

Legend
Legend
j/c

The thread subject is 'off the beaten path.' OK. I can do that.

This is so cool.
LMC(lassical)AO,
Clemmy
rofl

The hidden joke at 2:12... American composer John Cage 'wrote' a piece entitled '4:33' ('Four Minutes, Thirty-three Seconds'), wherein the performer is instructed to make no sounds on their instrument. The premise it that the most minimalist form of composing controlled only the length of performance. The 'music' was produced from ambient sounds in the hall- for 4 minutes, thirty-three seconds.

But yeah... this is def not on the interstate of mainstream. wink

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
If you don't know El-P.....now you do...…

And if you do know El-P.....but didn't know of his short work with Camu Tao (RIP....Cancer) Central Services......they did this tiny lp Forever Frozen in Television Time....hard to find.....but great....kinda unclassifiable greatness.....

Maybe another day I'll post some Girltalk...if you don't know...

Last edited by Tyler_Derden; 02/07/19 09:31 PM.

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
Legend
Legend

these brothers lay it down.
some of the baddest grooves you'll ever hear.

#GMStong
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

I know Leon Redbone may not be for some but I have always liked this guy. I saw him a few times and loved it.

Classic song done by many but somehow he seems to do it the way it was meant.

Legend
Legend

Again I apologize if this is well known.

But when I want to play a something and play it to blow my ears off this is one I like loud.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Odd you should bring this to light.
I saw he and his band(not the Velvet Underground)preform this at CBGB years ago.For along time I would tell people that everyone on stage that night,except for Lou Reed,is dead.That story changed a few years ago.

Legend
Legend

For a few months I lived directly across the street from cbgb's.

I used sit in the bay window and watch people go into that joint. It was when Talking Heads used to play there.

People with all kinds of holes in there faces and crazy dyed hair. Punk to the max.

The guitar duo in the Intro to Sweet Jane is dyno-mite.

Lou had his thing and didn't blink about being anyone but him.

Legend
Legend
I am kinda of out of touch as far as what is known and or popular.

I like some of the music of this band and the video's.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This is one of the finest pieces I have ever heard and it's on many of my playlists. Alvin Lee is the guy who is "off the beaten path," but George Harrison plays slide guitar on this smoking number.

The sad thing is that both have passed, but this great song will live forever. Oh, and dudes........stay w/it because it kinda starts off slow, but some of the riffs that come later are freaking amazing.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
had to share......here...

Legend
Legend
Derden:
Dude... I'm still in your debt for hipping me to this guy. 'None Shall Pass' made me lose my [*].

And this flow: "One, two, three- that's the speed of the seed..."
...is just fantastic.

Makes me wish I'd known Lucy. Dude's serious skill set allowed him to tell an entire life story (with detail and nuance) in under 5 minutes. That's prodigious talent.

yeah- Aesop Rock.
Dude IS 'The Bar.'

#GMStong
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
When I bought an ep of his...."Fast cars, Danger, Knives," or something like that.....it came with a book that contained all the lyrics to his entire song catalogue.....I never realized how deep he got with a lot of his stuff....it was eye-opening....

This video just reminded me of that and I had to share it....

Thanks for the nod....

Last edited by Tyler_Derden; 02/22/19 04:47 PM.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
This is one of the finest pieces I have ever heard and it's on many of my playlists. Alvin Lee is the guy who is "off the beaten path," but George Harrison plays slide guitar on this smoking number.

Alvin Lee was the guitarist from British blues band, Ten Years After. Probably best known for their barnstorming performance of "I'm Going Home" at Woodstock. Their first couple records are standard white boy blues, but they released a couple really great albums after Woodstock where they find their own identity and take it beyond the obvious 12 bar blues. I actually saw a reunited Ten Years After at the Akron Agora in 1986 (?) and Alvin could still smoke on the guitar. Sadly he passed a couple years ago.

He also recorded a pretty amazing LP with Mylon Le Fevre called 'On The Road To Freedom'. The whole album is pretty fantastic and well worth picking up. Still very cheap and easy to find. You shouldn't have to pay more than $5 for original copies of it.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Musicians: Off the Beaten Path

Link Copied to Clipboard