Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Trump mocks wind power: 'When the wind doesn't blow, just turn off the television'

President Trump on Wednesday mocked the idea of fostering wind power, suggesting that it would devalue property and undermine U.S. output of other energy forms.

Trump touted at an event in Ohio that the U.S. was the largest producer of crude oil and natural gas in the world. He suggested that would not have been the case had Hillary Clinton won the 2016 election.

"Hillary wanted to put windmills all over the place," he told workers at a tank factory in Lima, Ohio.

Trump then mimicked a man telling his spouse to "turn off the television" when the wind doesn't blow in order to save electricity. The joke was reminiscent of a similar line he delivered earlier this month at the Conservative Political Action Conference in which derided the Green New Deal.

"Put the windmills up, and watch the value of your house if you’re in sight of a windmill — watch the value of your house go down by 65 percent," he said Wednesday. "Wonderful to have windmills. And solar’s wonderful too, but it’s not strong enough, and it’s very very expensive."

Trump campaigned on restoring coal mining jobs. Since taking office, his administration has rolled back regulations and the president has highlighted the boom in the energy industry as a sign of economic strength.

Former White House economic adviser Gary Cohn said in an interview earlier this month that he sought to convince Trump to focus on promoting jobs in the solar sector given the industry's potential longevity but that the president insisted the administration should keep its attention on coal jobs.

Trump has found fresh fodder in Democratic efforts to promote the Green New Deal, an ambitious proposal that seeks to reduce carbon emissions and focus on more environmentally friendly practices. The president previously quipped that the measure sounded like a "high school term paper that got a low mark."

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro...st-turn-off-the

This dumbass has no clue how wind and solar work. I guess nobody ever told him the energy gets stored in battery arrays for consumption 24/7. President or Jester?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

This dumbass has no clue how wind and solar work. I guess nobody ever told him the energy gets stored in battery arrays for consumption 24/7. President or Jester?

My understanding is that is NOT how it works. Like, the $750,000 wind turbine behind my house. And the wind turbine at our local school. And the ones at 2 surrounding schools. And the turbine fields around Paulding Ohio.

They are connected straight to the power grid, with a meter that monitors their electric output. Then, a credit is issued monthly based on that. No batteries involved.

https://sciencing.com/electricity-move-wind-turbine-businesses-communities-buy-it-21904.html

My understanding is solar is similar. My brother has solar panels on his house. They don't supply his house with energy, nor does he have a cache of batteries storing energy.

Now, if I'm wrong, correct me.

I do know on a super small scale - as in, like powering led's for a stop sign, there is a battery involved. Just recently read of a local township that made their own led solar powered stop signs.

Didn't take but a month before the led's weren't working. "Uh, the sun didn't shine enough for 3 days. We have to get bigger batteries, and hope the sun shines more."

Yeah, that'll work for your house, and industry, right?

A
Legend
Legend
A

So, while I won't use the term you did, perhaps you should investigate a bit more before calling someone what you did.

Wind and solar are just fine. Great, even. Just not reliable.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
There is definitely and without doubt a dumbass here who does not understand how these things work.

There is no battery array or type whatsoever that could feasibly store the quantity of wattage necessary, period, never mind any thing remotely approaching a reasonable degree of cost-effectiveness.

To suggest that there is merely to denigrate someone else demonstrates a dangerously moronic level of ignorance. We are decades away from that sort of storage on a level of possibility, doing it in a cost-effective manner on the scale necessary may never happen.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Nelson37

There is no battery array or type whatsoever that could feasibly store the quantity of wattage necessary, period, never mind any thing remotely approaching a reasonable degree of cost-effectiveness.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/wind/advantages-and-challenges-wind-energy
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/two-myths-and-one-truth-about-wind-turbines-180963626/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudl...0/#4942dee4ff2e

yea, i'll go with these sources over anything you have to say on the matter.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Swish

https://www.energy.gov/eere/wind/advantages-and-challenges-wind-energy
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/two-myths-and-one-truth-about-wind-turbines-180963626/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudl...0/#4942dee4ff2e

yea, i'll go with these sources over anything you have to say on the matter.

So, I read your links. I didn't find where batteries were even mentioned. Probably, cause, uh, wind turbines don't supply batteries?

Wind and solar are great. Rely on them to run your house, or your business, or the country? Right.

Legend
Legend
i was addressing the cost effectiveness he tried to pull. not true.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
But batteries (maybe it's battery's) was what ocd was talking about, and looking dumb about.

But, as to your point, solar and wind power are STILL not cost effective. Perhaps in the future they will be, BUT, you can't run a house, or a business, or a country on them.

No battery involved.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c....

SDG&E to add five new battery storage facilities
By Rob Nikolewski Contact Reporter

In California’s quest to blend more renewable energy sources into the power grid, energy storage has repeatedly become one of the answers the state’s policymakers have turned to.

Late last week, the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) approved a proposal from San Diego Gas & Electric to build five new energy storage projects, each using lithium-ion battery technology, at facilities in San Diego, Poway, Escondido, Fallbrook and San Juan Capistrano.

The projects will total 83.5 megawatts — enough to power about 55,000 homes for four hours.

“Energy storage acts as a kind of shock absorber” for the electrical system, SDG&E president Scott Drury said Monday at a news conference.

Renewables have a problem with intermittency — that is, solar power slumps when the sun goes down and wind energy wanes when the breeze tapers off.

Conversely, so much solar is currently generated in California during the day that the California Independent System Operator (the organization which oversees the operation of about 80 percent of the state's electric power system) often has to send the excess to neighboring states like Arizona or curtail solar altogether.

Essentially, batteries store up energy that can then be deployed to help fill in the gaps.

“These batteries and other projects like them allow us to absorb that excess and then call on it at other times of the day when it’s needed,” Drury said. SDG&E already boasts a 30-megawatt lithium-ion battery energy storage center — at the time of its debut the largest of its kind in the world — at the utility’s operations center in Escondido.

Energy storage technologies can also help the state’s power mix become less reliant on natural gas, which is the single largest fuel type for in-state electric generation — 49.86 percent in 2016.

With battery storage, “you don’t have the emissions concerns and other things associated with that and you don’t have to worry about bringing in natural gas for it either,” said Craig Horne, a vice president at RES, a global renewable energy company with its North American office based in Denver. “So you’re just using the existing electricity network.”

RES is building one of the five lithium-ion projects SDG&E announced on Monday, a 30-megawatt facility expected to be completed by the end of next year at the SDG&E Miramar substation.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/bus...0604-story.html

M
Legend
Legend
M
Portland General Electric and NextEra Energy Resources to develop nation's first major energy facility co-locating wind, solar and battery storage
NEWS PROVIDED BY
Portland General Company
Feb 13, 2019, 05:00 ET

PORTLAND, Ore., Feb. 13, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Portland General Electric Company (NYSE: POR) and NextEra Energy Resources, LLC, a subsidiary of NextEra Energy, Inc. (NYSE: NEE), today announced plans to construct a new energy facility in Eastern Oregon combining 300 megawatts of wind generation with 50 megawatts of solar generation and 30 megawatts of battery storage.

The new project, called the Wheatridge Renewable Energy Facility, will be the first of this scale in North America to co-locate and integrate these three technologies, creating an improved zero-emissions resource and accelerating Oregon's transition to clean energy.

"We're moving aggressively to integrate smart grid technologies and renewable energy to give customers affordable, clean, low-carbon energy," said Maria Pope, PGE president and CEO. "Wheatridge will be a model for integrating renewable generation and storage to cost-effectively reduce emissions while maintaining a reliable grid."........

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases...-300794642.html

M
Legend
Legend
M

A
Legend
Legend
A
Cool. I bet all they need is more tax money, right? Tax money to put the solar and wind in place, tax money to put these batteries in place that can supply 55,000 home for 4 hours. That's great!

Just need more money to do it.

Isn't California a high tax state? I'm not sure. I do know they have a homeless problem, even with high taxes, in their cities.............yet they can't figure that out. They just need more money, right?

I'm reminded of a town/city in California that had a water shortage. They urged, begged, pleaded for everyone to conserve water. The town/city residents did conserve water. They were rewarded with? Higher water rates, since the town/city water department didn't sell enough water to cover their costs.

M
Legend
Legend
M
E.ON completes 10 MW energy storage system in Arizona
The Iron Horse project is paired with a 2 MW solar array and will provide frequency regulation as well as voltage control support.
JUNE 2, 2017 CARL JOHANNES MUTH

E.ON Climate and Renewables has completed a 10 MW lithium titanium oxide storage facility at the University of Arizona´s Science and Technology Park. The so-called Iron Horse Battery Energy Storage Project integrates a new 2 MW solar array, and will provide frequency response as well as voltage control, according to a press release from E.ON.

Partner company Tucson Electric Power (TEP) will use the faciltiy to maintain reliable electricity for more than 400,000 customers.

Battery manufacturer Landis+Gyr said that it designed, engineered, and supplied the storage system for this project, based on Toshiba’s SCiB™ technology.

Another partner firm, Greensmith, provided software that leveraged the batteries suitable for high frequency, high power applications. The company states that its GEMS software control platform will deliver real-time monitoring, integrated control, system optimization and safety throughout life.

“We expect energy storage systems like Iron Horse to play an increasingly important role in the delivery of safe, reliable service to customers as we continue our expansion of renewable resources,” said Carmine Tilghman, Senior Director of Energy Supply and Renewable Energy for TEP.

According to E.ON, experience gained during the Iron Horse project is now being used in Eon´s Texas Wave projects, the second and third grid connected lithium-ion battery systems installed by E.ON in North America....

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2017/06/02/e-on-completes-10-mw-energy-storage-system-in-arizona/

A
Legend
Legend
A
Neat. Cool. That article was from June of 2017. Any updates?

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

My understanding is that is NOT how it works. Like, the $750,000 wind turbine behind my house. And the wind turbine at our local school. And the ones at 2 surrounding schools. And the turbine fields around Paulding Ohio.

They are connected straight to the power grid, with a meter that monitors their electric output. Then, a credit is issued monthly based on that. No batteries involved.

https://sciencing.com/electricity-move-wind-turbine-businesses-communities-buy-it-21904.html

My understanding is solar is similar. My brother has solar panels on his house. They don't supply his house with energy, nor does he have a cache of batteries storing energy.

Now, if I'm wrong, correct me.

I do know on a super small scale - as in, like powering led's for a stop sign, there is a battery involved. Just recently read of a local township that made their own led solar powered stop signs.

Didn't take but a month before the led's weren't working. "Uh, the sun didn't shine enough for 3 days. We have to get bigger batteries, and hope the sun shines more."

Yeah, that'll work for your house, and industry, right?

If your primary power is the grid, then yes. But that also means wind is not the primary source or there are many wind turbines in the system feeding the grid from multiple locations. It's always windy somewhere. Off grid electric systems use battery arrays. He's still a dumbass.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
There is definitely and without doubt a dumbass here who does not understand how these things work.

To suggest that there is merely to denigrate someone else demonstrates a dangerously moronic level of ignorance. We are decades away from that sort of storage on a level of possibility, doing it in a cost-effective manner on the scale necessary may never happen.

So, while I won't use the term you did, perhaps you should investigate a bit more before calling someone what you did.

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/grid-or-stand-alone-renewable-energy-systems

Don't think I'm a GOPer speaking about things I know nothing of as if I'm spewing facts.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Cool. I bet all they need is more tax money, right? Tax money to put the solar and wind in place, tax money to put these batteries in place that can supply 55,000 home for 4 hours. That's great!

Just need more money to do it.

Isn't California a high tax state? I'm not sure. I do know they have a homeless problem, even with high taxes, in their cities.............yet they can't figure that out. They just need more money, right?

I'm reminded of a town/city in California that had a water shortage. They urged, begged, pleaded for everyone to conserve water. The town/city residents did conserve water. They were rewarded with? Higher water rates, since the town/city water department didn't sell enough water to cover their costs.

Runs his mouth, moves the goal. GOPers...

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Neat. Cool. That article was from June of 2017. Any updates?

But you told me:

when you called me:

But batteries (maybe it's battery's) was what ocd was talking about, and looking dumb about.

But, as to your point, solar and wind power are STILL not cost effective. Perhaps in the future they will be, BUT, you can't run a house, or a business, or a country on them.

No battery involved.

Practice what you preach and investigate before running your mouth.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Why don't you? Someone else did your work.

Now, go ahead and tell me how batteries are going to save the country, and worl................never mind.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

I thought you were more intelligent than this... Obviously you are factless. Battery arrays have been used to store generated electricity for off grid homes for years. I can understand Arch talking about grid systems not using batteries because you are just a generator feeding the grid. But for somebody as smart as you say you are to say there are no battery arrays or batteries that can do this is just ridiculous. I'll give you that you can't power the 'country' with 'a' battery array but you can damn sure power a house with one. When you use battery arrays to supplement grid systems being fed by multiple sources you can also power a country. It's called scaling renewable energy infrastructure, it's a thing. Maybe you should delete some old files to make room for new facts, start with the doubting OCD is not smarter than you subroutine, it fails in an infinite loop.

https://www.usaid.gov/energy/scaling-renewables

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/20/19 11:09 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
J/c

Going back to the original article.

Aren't bad jokes a mainstay of political events?

Also, I'm a proponent of alternative energy sources, but I'm not sure they'd really make us energy independent. It's my understanding that many of the materials required for the batteries and other components don't have viable sources in the US.

Coal, natural gas, and other fossil fuels do have nasty side effects that need to be monitored and controlled, but at least the US has those resources available within its borders.

We do need to find a balance and work toward a model that will be sustainable for the long term.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Sounds like Trump was chatting with ICP.

"Magnets, how do they work!?"

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
J/c

Going back to the original article.

Aren't bad jokes a mainstay of political events?

Also, I'm a proponent of alternative energy sources, but I'm not sure they'd really make us energy independent. It's my understanding that many of the materials required for the batteries and other components don't have viable sources in the US.

Coal, natural gas, and other fossil fuels do have nasty side effects that need to be monitored and controlled, but at least the US has those resources available within its borders.

We do need to find a balance and work toward a model that will be sustainable for the long term.

This is worth the 17 minutes....

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Swish, did I use too many big words for you? Battery array doesn't mean, well, BATTERY ARRAY, where you're from? Learn to read. You have repeatedly demonstrated very simplistic comprehension failures in this area.

55,00 homes for 4 hours? Not even a drop in the bucket. There are cloudy days, often several in a row, often with little wind. Multiply that by about 300, now you could handle the residential needs for one medium small city. No industrial use whatsoever. That's for those folks who have, you know, Jobs. You would have a toxic hazard the EPA would consider unlawful. A financial expenditure even a liberal would hesitate to authorize. They are very sensitive to both charge and discharge parameters within a narrow envelope. The batteries would need replaced every 10 years or so. The very first time one of these caught on fire, which lithium batteries are prone to do, that would be the end of this little project.

Lithium fires are extremely difficult to put out. Water causes more fire. The systems for monitoring, cooling, dealing with flammable gasses, etc., on a large scale are not yet tested. The dollar cost is just not reasonable, the risk is high. China has most of the world's lithium.

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Why are you calling OCD, Swish. It says you’re replying to OCD.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From everything I have read and learned wind power isn't really that effective or efficient.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/wind...-global-energy/

But since Trump said something about it, it must be the exact, polarizing opposite of whatever he claimed. Of course it's somewhere in the middle.

TDS

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I think nuclear is a responsible 'transitional' energy source (moving away from fossil fuels) as long as we commit to continue developing more long term renewable energy technology. Bottom line we need to address climate change in anyway we can, as fast as we can.

Legend
Legend
You may want to rethink the battery thing... Also, don't forget fuel cells.

As for Trump being an idiot, he is, and he can't help it. His speeches are nothing more than meanderings of a lunatic mind driving down a road that has no guard rails

https://www.azocleantech.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=488

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Meh - the usual stooges trying to frame the debate one way, failing and then changing tack. What's new?

Trump ran on a fairy tale platform of saving a non renewable resource that is less and less viable .... and mocks a renewable, environmentally friendly energy source. . . Ignorant as hell and - what's new?

Wind turbines in the US can produce 8% of of capacity. Not to be sniffed at or mocked.... Does Trump not realize the solution isn't one other source it's multiple other sources?

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=31032

And then as far as economy and jobs? Renewable energy is responsible for so many more jobs it's not even funny.

https://www.politifact.com/illinois/stat...rgy-jobs-coal-/

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Lol @ big words.

I simply stated I’ll take the sources over anything you have to say. Apparently that’s too difficult of a concept for you to understand, or maybe accept.

Or hell, both.

You remind me of the people who argue against emerging tech cause you’re stuck in the past. Like the horse and buggy industry who was ticked off when automobiles became a thing. Just sitting there trying to discredit it, all the while the tech becomes more efficient and affordable over time.

Let me know if that’s too difficult to understand. Maybe you’re like trump, and need a pop up book with sections to color in it so you can understand.

As a matter of fact, new challenge on the board: find out if Nelson can color within the lines or not.

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I pwned him Swish and he could not rebut without looking the fool, so he lashed out at you. Now you've made him look the fool. This is called the Nelson catch 22. I sense a total meltdown and long ban coming next. wink

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/21/19 09:30 AM.

Legend
Legend
he's gonna come with a long post. im going to ignore it. cause its nelson.

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Swish
he's gonna come with a long post. im going to ignore it. cause its nelson.

BRILLIANT!

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

As for Trump being an idiot, he is, and he can't help it. His speeches are nothing more than meanderings of a lunatic mind driving down a road that has no guard rails

While this is true, if accepted as truth, why does everyone get so overly triggered by his mouth? I personally have accepted that almost everything that comes out of his mouth is a hyperbolic stream of consciousness with no filter. So it's slightly irritating to see people purposefully take his words as being absolute when I think that even he knows he is being hyperbolic.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: BpG
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

While this is true, if accepted as truth, why does everyone get so overly triggered by his mouth? I personally have accepted that almost everything that comes out of his mouth is a hyperbolic stream of consciousness with no filter. So it's slightly irritating to see people purposefully take his words as being absolute when I think that even he knows he is being hyperbolic.

BECAUSE HE IS THE FREAKING PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA - HIS LIES, WORDS AND ACTIONS ARE NOT NORMAL AND WE SHOULD NEVER ACCEPT IT AS NORMAL AND WE SHOULD ALWAYS, ALWAYS EXPECT BETTER

Last edited by mgh888; 03/21/19 10:30 AM.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think we are beyond the point of expecting that much. Well beyond.

Legend
Legend
dunno why you even bother. he voted for this scumbag, and has made it clear he's more than willing to accept this deplorable behavior despite the fact that he wouldn't tolerate it from any other president.

- Theodore Roosevelt
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: BpG
I think we are beyond the point of expecting that much. Well beyond.

When the country simply accepts his deplorable behavior and culture - we've all lost. It erodes absolutely everything the USA should stand for ... and not only that it emboldens and enables the hate that we see surfacing around the world. You think it's coincidence that the mass shooter in NZ specifically mentioned Trump and venerated him?

And Swish you might be right ... but still.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
At no point did I say we should accept it. I have accepted his buffoonery personally.

Being outraged every day is another story completely. Accept that he is a buffoon and is constantly spewing hyperbole, it's better for your health.

Last edited by BpG; 03/21/19 11:13 AM.
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Swish, the simple fact that you think real estate investment in the Congo and real estate investment in the US are remotely comparable, says it all.

Batteries are simply not viable.

That does not mean solar and wind are not usable, not at all, but there has to be something to take up the slack.

There is controversial legislation in Florida Right Now to bill solar powered homes a fee, because while they are net break-even on utility usage, owing no bill, they can only do this by using the grid as a storage mechanism, which it is not.

But you all continue to live in fantasy land.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Trump mocks wind power: 'When the wind doesn't blow, just turn off the television'

Link Copied to Clipboard