Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I have more of a problem w/the new blocking rule than the PI rule. Hell, there will probably be a penalty on every single punt and kickoff return now. It's already annoying and only going to get worse.

The one issue that I see w/the PI calls is think how they are going to handle Hail Mary types of plays at the end of the half and the game. That could add a lot of controversy and scrutiny to the games.

S
Legend
Legend
S
Not a fan of the change. I think it also takes the referees off the hook for what has been god-awful officiating.

Said it right around when the saints/rams thing happened. We need referees who are full-time employees of the league. This is basically a side job for people who are in other high ranking positions in the job world.

When I saw what happened in the Saints/Rams game, I wasn't thinking "wow, replay would have fixed this", even though it would have. I was thinking, how the hell do you miss that call?

I just think doing this opens Pandora's box. It's going to cause so much controversy and even more conspiracy speculation. It's an interpretation call.

Goalie interference in the NHL has been reviewable the last few years and it has not gone over very well, and calling goalie interference in hockey is a lot easier than it would be to call pass interference. There is no ground to cover in the NHL. The goalie is in one spot, and therefore, there are several eyes on that spot. WR's are sprinting down the field.

The right move would have been to demand more out of these officials, because while the league has no problem cracking down on players celebrating too much, dirty hits, and uniform violations, the referees seem to go without any public criticism.

With all that said, we have Odell Beckham, Jarvis Landry, and a slew of very talented players, so I believe this benefits us quite a bit because defensive backs are going to be left with no choice but to interfere.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
More rules and more reviewable penalties allows the officials more control of the game, therefore, it gives the league more control of the game....

Whether you accept it or not, officiating is the mechanism that allows the league to hold some power over the outcome of the games....

I wish to wash my Irish wristwatch......
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
I'd rather have a retired official in the booth watching for blatant missed calls like the one that went against the Saints.

I suggested this a few months ago. Rather than do the moronic challenge flag/head-ref trots over to a 10-inch screen under a tarp to squint and make call/trot back out 3 minutes later to make the wrong call ... They should just have a "booth" official that can buzz down and virtually "throw" a flag after a quick review of the play. Most of these controversial calls/no-calls are things that can be seen within 10 seconds of watching a replay. There's no need for the circus of having the head-ref see it for himself. Just have a guy in the booth and give him the same power as an "on-field" ref.
Cant work like that - someone has to have the ultimate authority. Chain of command. Either the Head ref on the field or the guy in the booth, but two people cant have the same power - or one is going to try to over rule the other.

Also, if you get to that point, whats the point of having refs on the field at all then other than to spot the ball?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Can of Worms ... Opened

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Quote:
. The replay booth, in conjunction with the league's officiating office in New York, will initiate those challenges in the final two minutes of each half.

Damn near every single pass play inside of 2:00 is going to be reviewed.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:
. The replay booth, in conjunction with the league's officiating office in New York, will initiate those challenges in the final two minutes of each half.

Damn near every single pass play inside of 2:00 is going to be reviewed.

In many cases they should be. Inside 2 mins, it seems, refs allow muggings with the attitude that they do not want to be the cause of deciding the the game. That NFC Championship game no call went way too far the other way .. it still decided the game.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
T
Legend
Legend
T
No matter how many times I see that famous non call that didn't help the Saints, I don't see pass interference.

I eventually settled on two players independently running on different trajectories, which ran into one another, violently.

It was a vicious hit, but not pass interference. I doubt there is 1 in 1200 people who'd agree with me, but I see why there was no flag.

Yeah-t I'm against the rule change, It wasn't broke, don't fix it.

I'm beginning to see the last 4 teams in the playoffs, like the last few laps in a NASCAR race, there are no guarantees, and the best team doesn't "have" to get in , imo, you just put yourself in position and let it play out.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
C
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
C
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
The one that angers me, is KC is asking to change the OT rules. Look, I get that the Saints would be backing the PI review change, but KC needs to shut up about losing in OT. The Pats stuffed the ball down your throat by scoring a TD, you DON'T DESERVE your own possession. A TD should end OT.

The owners shot down the Broncos terrible change to the onside ( LINK). Instead of an onside, the team gets a 4th and 15 from their 35. Seriously? Why not just create a rule that TDs in the last minute are worth 14 points or you get a 5th down if there's less than 10 seconds remaining. Come on! Is this the AAAAAAF league?

Personally, I think onside kicks are dumb. There shouldn't be a way to get the ball back after you score. It's like a loophole to make every game exciting to the last second. It just feels like robbery when a team pulls it off. They played the game the right way for 59 minutes and one odd bounce of the ball and they lose. It's like if the NBA made a 10-pt shot from halfcourt.

I can't agree with your sentiment. A kickoff has always been a chance for the kicking team to recover the ball without interfering with the receiving team. An onside kick just shortens the area where they all compete for the ball. So, it's not a loophole and not robbery. How do you feel about a kicking team recovering the ball on the 10 or 20 say because the receiving team has a brain fart? Or, a squib kick that goes to the 35 and gets recovered because the ball takes a funny bounce.

As it is, the change to the kickoff rule preventing the kicking team from advancing until the ball is kicked is enough of an advantage to the receiving team.

I guess one can tell I'm generally not in favor of some many tweaking rule changes. We should go to the way my many years of playing basketball at local courts -- if you foul, call it on yourself. If you don't and the other player calls it, it's their ball. thumbsup

Legend
Legend
Quote:
No matter how many times I see that famous non call that didn't help the Saints, I don't see pass interference.

Well, that makes one of you.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

Well, that makes one of you.

Including the DB who committed it. He has admitted it was a blatant PI.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I dont understand why any play cant be red flagged. They get three flags let them use them during the game. Give each coach only 1 red flag for the final 2 minutes( They cant stock pile they only get 1) and officials review scoring play.

Joe Thomas #73
V
Legend
Legend
V
Let's say that Baker throws a 65 yard TD pass to OBJ. Would you want that TD taken off of the board because Mike Tomlin wins a challenge because Bitonio was holding Heyward?

E
Legend
Legend
E
It was a vicious hit, but not pass interference. I doubt there is 1 in 1200 people who'd agree with me,

Nice to see you are correct about something...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: chet the jet
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
The one that angers me, is KC is asking to change the OT rules. Look, I get that the Saints would be backing the PI review change, but KC needs to shut up about losing in OT. The Pats stuffed the ball down your throat by scoring a TD, you DON'T DESERVE your own possession. A TD should end OT.

The owners shot down the Broncos terrible change to the onside ( LINK). Instead of an onside, the team gets a 4th and 15 from their 35. Seriously? Why not just create a rule that TDs in the last minute are worth 14 points or you get a 5th down if there's less than 10 seconds remaining. Come on! Is this the AAAAAAF league?

Personally, I think onside kicks are dumb. There shouldn't be a way to get the ball back after you score. It's like a loophole to make every game exciting to the last second. It just feels like robbery when a team pulls it off. They played the game the right way for 59 minutes and one odd bounce of the ball and they lose. It's like if the NBA made a 10-pt shot from halfcourt.

I can't agree with your sentiment. A kickoff has always been a chance for the kicking team to recover the ball without interfering with the receiving team. An onside kick just shortens the area where they all compete for the ball. So, it's not a loophole and not robbery. How do you feel about a kicking team recovering the ball on the 10 or 20 say because the receiving team has a brain fart? Or, a squib kick that goes to the 35 and gets recovered because the ball takes a funny bounce.

As it is, the change to the kickoff rule preventing the kicking team from advancing until the ball is kicked is enough of an advantage to the receiving team.

I guess one can tell I'm generally not in favor of some many tweaking rule changes. We should go to the way my many years of playing basketball at local courts -- if you foul, call it on yourself. If you don't and the other player calls it, it's their ball. thumbsup

Yeah, I'm not saying to stop onside kicks, I just think it's a bit dirty to play 58 minutes, have a two-score lead and you can lose that with an odd bounce. Sure, it happened to us and that might be why I dislike it, but it is what it is.

I like how the new kickoff rules have lowered the chance of recovering an onside. It should be cray rare, not common.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: kwhip
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
I like pass interference being reviewable.

How long until game approach 4.5 - 5 hrs?

Zero time.

Coaches will rarely throw the flag unless it's blatantly obvious.

Might be just me, but I'll watch Brown's football for 4 hours EVERY DAY!!!!

thumbsup

Just like Whistler Radio...."All Day, All Night, All Nice". nanner

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I think inside of 2 minutes of the game to make it legal to put your guys 5 yards back (to get a running start) when kicking off.

ONLY INSIDE 2 minutes of the game. When most onside kicks are made. The way it is now flat footed, its almost impossible to convert an onside kick.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Pass Interference Now Reviewable, Other Changes

Link Copied to Clipboard