Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm a media-skeptic. I kind of wonder if this is coming from one of the "interested teams" trying to drop Duke's cost/value.

It kind of has that effect regardless of who it came from.

This might have made his value to us greater than the return we can now get.

Hopefully Dorsey sticks with his plan whatever it may have been.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
He didn't show up today. I don't think this came from another team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah, I don't know. I was led to believe Duke wasn't at the "voluntary" stuff last year either. It could very well be true, I just don't put a ton of trust in PFT, and will wait to hear something from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I'm trying to be done reading into Dorsey's plans. I'll see what actions actually come along.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
overated RB that caught alot of passes on checkdowns in a offense that was putrid.
hes really a dime a dozen RB.
not a end zone threat.
gets caught from behind alot
rarely makes tacklers miss in space

Or....

V
Legend
Legend
V
Duke is a good back and should not be dogged. It's just that we have Chubb and Hunt and if I were Duke, I would not want to be third string.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Duke is a good back and should not be dogged. It's just that we have Chubb and Hunt and if I were Duke, I would not want to be third string.

Agreed.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Can someone confirm if we'd save money on cap if we didn't trade him until after June 1st? Feel like I've read that somewhere on the board.

Pre June 1st we take on $2.25M in dead money, but save $800K against the cap for 2019. $1.5M in dead money and save $3.35M in 2020. $750K and $5.15M in 2021.

If we wait till after June 1st, $750K in dead money for 2019-2021 with $2.3M, $4.1M, and $5.15M in cap savings in those same years.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
We will be okay @ RB if we trade DJ.

If everyone stays healthy. Then again, the Rams took C.J. Anderson off the scrap heap and he was better than Todd Gurley.

The bottom line is that running backs just aren't valuable in the NFL today.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
heres one stat Warren Sharp left out.
only averages a TD every 41 touches for his career.
and if Dorsey tbought Duke was all.that why did he acquire a RB knowing he was going to be suspended a part
of the season?
Duke is a good reciever. but a difference maker no.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
if Dorsey tbought Duke was all.that why did he acquire a RB knowing he was going to be suspended a part
of the season?

Because Hunt is a ridiculous value.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yes, I'm sure being on the worst team with one of the worst offenses had no influence on that number.

The one negative i can say about Duke is ball security.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
The one negative i can say about Duke is ball security.

Agreed.

He was exciting to watch, but I was always ready to see that ball pop out at the end of a long run.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
V
Legend
Legend
V
I understand trading Duke. We have two superior backs in the house. But, citing TDs is a dumb stat. He's not a short yardage back. Let's get real, here.

Duke is a very good change of pace back who can excel in passing situations. He is not the great every down back that some claim he is. He is not going to become a great WR that some claim he can be. However, he certainly isn't a piece of trash. He's a very good change of pace back and that is nothing to sneer at.

Furthermore, Duke's been a good soldier throughout it all. He doesn't deserve ridicule or insults.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
We will be okay @ RB if we trade DJ.

If everyone stays healthy. Then again, the Rams took C.J. Anderson off the scrap heap and he was better than Todd Gurley.

The bottom line is that running backs just aren't valuable in the NFL today.

Yes,
It is mostly short lived, even for the best of them.

Right now we have some good young talent, but RBs' can usually be found if your looking for depth.

[Linked Image]

Pdawg Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: GrimmBrown
Yeah, I don't know. I was led to believe Duke wasn't at the "voluntary" stuff last year either. It could very well be true, I just don't put a ton of trust in PFT, and will wait to hear something from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I'm trying to be done reading into Dorsey's plans. I'll see what actions actually come along.

It originally came from Mary Kay...Not that it will make it more believable to you.

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I just said hes overrated.
when your on a offense that gives Ricardo Louis alot of playing time somebody has to catch checkdowns.
I just havent seen Duke grow or really get better at any one thing.
yeah he caught alot of passes in that 1 31 campiegns.
But if Duke Johnson is your best offensive threat. thats trouble.
Dorsey is merely upping the talent level on this team.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Get him traded asap. His value the day of the draft or after will tumble past his 6th round potential 2023 value he is worth today.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Not surprising. He's a good talent with low mileage for his years and he knows he only has a few years left before he's considered "old" for RBs... He wants to be somewhere that he can have a really good year or two in order to land a nice contract... He's been a stand-up guy since he got here, I wish him the best.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I always have a small pang of sadness when someone like Duke gets traded away. For the last two years, he was one of a few bright spots we had. The selfish sentimental me wants to see him take this ride, since he more than earned it.

However, I also want to see him get opportunities that staying here simply wouldn't provide. I respect his desire to go somewhere that will use him more. He deserves to see the field and make plays.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I agree w/you, but it's tough having guys in the locker room who might end up being disruptive. I think Dorsey is really focused on getting everyone on the same page.

I really like Duke as a player and a person. However, when we were debating back and forth on whether we should trade him or not, I always brought up that he isn't going to like being 3rd string. That is not an insult. I get it. I played the damn position and no way would I be happy being 3rd freaking string.

Again, I hope we trade him for a player. Hopefully a defensive player like a safety or corner. Maybe even a LBer

What do you guys think of trading Duke to Dallas for Sean Lee? He's the odd man out w/those two studs they have at LBer. He gets injured too much, but he is an excellent LBer who can cover and is extremely intelligent.

Two teams trading their positional excess away. Makes sense to me. It's a lot better than a 7th round draft choice.

I agree except my feeling is that once a player starts asking for a trade, they are a distraction in the clubhouse.

We need to move him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
The Browns like Hilliard. Nothing says we don't already have our back-up.

Backs are a dime a dozen. There will be plenty on cut lists and trade lists.

Backs like Chubb and Barkley aren't a dime a dozen....

Backs like Johnston are at least $.50 cents a dozen...LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
Any chance we can trade Duke and a late pick or two to move back into the first round of the draft to target a DE / S / CB we covet?

What sort of value do we all think he has now? Have we lost leverage now that he has requested a trade?

Duke and our 2nd round pick would not get us into the 1st round.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
j/c

I'd turn it over to Duke's agent. Tell him he can seek a trade but it's going to have to be a good one. Let him do the work. If he's not successful, we have Duke under contract for the next three years, so we don't have to let him go for nothing.

#GMSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg
Originally Posted By: CleVeLaNd_sTrife
Any chance we can trade Duke and a late pick or two to move back into the first round of the draft to target a DE / S / CB we covet?

What sort of value do we all think he has now? Have we lost leverage now that he has requested a trade?

Duke and our 2nd round pick would not get us into the 1st round.

Considering our front office has already said that there really are only 15 players with a first round grade and that we already traded out of the first round, I highly, highly doubt that moving back into the first round is on the minds of our brass.

Legend
Legend
not a surprise. he'll be traded for sure. Probably a 6th round pick in 2020 is my guess

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I'd hate to see him leave.. But frankly, it might be best for both he and the team.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He was the best player on a very bad team. I'd like to keep him as a weapon, but understand he wants a chance to start. I just don't think he is going to get it.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: BpG
He was the best player on a very bad team. I'd like to keep him as a weapon, but understand he wants a chance to start. I just don't think he is going to get it.

I don't think it's even about starting. I think it's more about his overall usage, or lack thereof.

Tackles are tackles.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Duke absolutely worthless in a trade since Philly got Howard for a 6th in 2020. If I'm dorsey I'm telling his reps to pound salt if he wants to pout. he's under contract for 3 more years and you never know when you'll need that RB depth

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
you'd like to .. but do we want to eat that salary and have a cancer like that (if he's REALLY that disgruntled?)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
K
Johnson is such a great player, but we don't use him properly.

Saying we somehow have more talent now and we don't need Duke Johnson anymore is absurd.

Duke Johnson is the only RB on this roster that has proven he can actually do his job, and has done that job at a high level.

since 2015 Duke Johnson is:

6.5 yards per touch is 3rd best in the NFL among RB
He has held a top 3 spot in receptions (235) and yards (2,170) among NFL RB
his 235 receptions is the most every by a Cleveland Brown in their 1st 4 seasons.

Yet somehow he isn't good enough for us? Are you ******** joking!?

Stuff right here! this is why we have sucked for so long.

the New England Patriots roster is FULL of role player guys like Johnson, guys that do their damn job, and do it at a high level, its not flashy, its not pretty, but it wins.

I bet Bellichik is interested already. Johnson fits perfectly into that versatile role Bellichik looks for in a player. Johnson can run average, above average receiver, above average blocker, he fits all the checks.

I wouldn't be a bit suprised Johnson ends up in New England. His contract is pretty cheap, a 4th or a 5th should get the deal done...yup...he will catch 100 passes from Brady next year,yet he isn't good enough to play for us lol

I can already see Dorsey imploding...that safety Murray from the Chiefs is god awful, that guy is worse than Corey Fuller was, that guys name should be "toast" thats how bad that guy is. Kindred is an upgrade over Murray, the Browns got hosed on that trade hard.

I won't be a bit surprised if we are a 4-5 win team next year...we look decent on paper, but pulling back the paper we find the book is pretty thin.

Were going in with a guy who has never even been a coordinator till a few games last year as our Head Coach, with a QB while looked decent as a rookie still has a lot to prove, a weaker OL, potential with more distractions with OBJ and Hunt...this could very easily blow up in our face big time.

part me thinks our turn around last year was more because of Greg Willams and his former head coach experience and knowing how to manage things at a macro-level more than anything else. Willams leared a lot from his time in Buffalo and from Jeff Fischer...Kitchens was just along for the ride, and only got hired due to the "young offensive mind" nonsense fad that is going on the NFL...how well did that "young offensive mind" in Rams land do against an actual coach in the Super Bowl? Bellichik took him to school and put on a clinic...so much for the "young offensive minded head coach" crap...Bellichik dispelled that real quick... but we will of course try it, just like Cinci is.

I hope we win, but im not liking the vibe im feeling...Dorsey puts me in the mind of a control freak....he doesn't want anyone questioning him, and he surronds himself with yes men...everything has to be his idea and on his terms....things like this usually don't end well...

Legend
Legend
So Chubb hasn't proven he can do his job... And Hunt hasn't proven he can do his job? (Hunt can do that job, he just needs to get his head right)

I like Duke,, no reason not to. But let's face it, he wasn't being used much..I'm sure he wants to play more and be more involved..Can't say I blame him really. Wish there was a way, but once Hunts comes in, what do you do with Duke?

Last edited by Damanshot; 04/02/19 11:44 AM.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend

You never seem to get it.

Hard to even respond logically. I won't bother other than to say I have never seen a guy so consistently wrong.

Legend
Legend
My, what a- 'refreshing' take.

I could see Duke flourishing in NE, for sure. The rest of your post? Well, I'll say this for it- it certainly is unconventional.

Love how I'm seeing you do you.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

You never seem to get it.

Hard to even respond logically. I won't bother other than to say I have never seen a guy so consistently wrong.

Hi,, have you met me yet,, I'm wrong so often that in my family, it's a running joke.... rofl

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
J/C

It benefits us to trade him this year. He has more value this year, than he would next year. His salary almost doubles I believe, and with Chubb and Hunt for half a season, his numbers will be pooh anyway.

If you don't wear orange and brown, you don't matter. Duke don't wanna wear orange and brown anymore - bye Felicia.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Quote:
Duke Johnson is the only RB on this roster that has proven he can actually do his job, and has done that job at a high level.
Sure, because All-Pro former leading rusher in Hunt, and a rookie who rushed for 996 yards in Basically 12 games, hasn't proved anything. SMH, every post you make is....questionable.

I highly believe you are just a troll, and I am surprised that the board allows you to continue on.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I am surprised that the board allows you to continue on.

Speaking only for myself, I appreciate the board's generosity. I mean, really- is there any other poster who can so effectively galvanize the board into a single, unified collective?

Besides.... it's a blast to see all the Dawgs race to be the first rebuttal on the boards.

rofl

P
Legend
Legend
P
Duke is certainly a talent. But since he's been drafted he's never been seen as a back up to fill a starting role. Not by any HC or FO that's been here since he was drafted. When the Crow left there was an opportunity to put Duke in the lead role. Instead we signed Hyde. Once Hyde was here we drafted Chubb. Now with Chubb on the roster we signed Hunt. So looking at the established patter, if Chubb went down before Hunt was available, Duke wouldn't be the candidate that fills the starting RB role.

There was always someone brought in to make Duke a situational RB. That's not a knock on Duke but rather what his role has always been no matter the circumstances. I can't say I blame Duke. His touches actually went down once Freddie took over.

Systems are different across the NFL. There are teams that use a RB like Duke more than it looks like we would here. I agree with those who indicate that Hilliard would be the back up if Chubb went down before Hunt was ready. As I've pointed out, Duke has never been seen as an every down RB to carry the rock. I don't see why people suddenly think that would change now.

Duke is a weapon. As such I never like to see us lose a weapon. But I can see why Duke would want to go to a situation where he'll get more opportunities. He's been a good soldier and a solid contributor here any time he's been called upon. You couldn't ask for more. So if or when a trade is made, I hope he goes into a good situation and has a chance to shine.

The only constant in life is change.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:
I am surprised that the board allows you to continue on.

Speaking only for myself, I appreciate the board's generosity. I mean, really- is there any other poster who can so effectively galvanize the board into a single, unified collective?

Besides.... it's a blast to see all the Dawgs race to be the first rebuttal on the boards.

rofl
This is true.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Duke Johnson asks to be traded

Link Copied to Clipboard