Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not trying to say he's a good QB. But let's face it, we've had worse QB's here as starters. wink

Point being, as a back-up he wouldn't be a bad guy to have.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
yeah - we get it - you don't like Drew Stanton.

Legend
Legend
Still, it doesn't matter if it is Stanton or this kid... if Baker goes down, we're screwed.

Then again, who has ever had this much talent around them?
Nobody in Cleveland, that's for sure.... we have a duo of receivers that were so good together in college that they actually got Zach Mettenberger drafted into the NFL, so pretty much anything can happen.

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 04/05/19 04:11 PM.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Hope Freddie works our second a bit before a crisis hits. BM can't go, hope we have a decent short-timer.

Unrelated question: If we win, can we do The Freddie? Anybody else old enough to remember that soon-to-be- reborn craze dance? Think it lasted about a solid week and a half back in the day. . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
No one knows what this kid from the AAF can do against NFL players.

His play in the AAF earned him a chance. We'll see what he does with it from here out. I am guessing he will probably be practice squad material. We'll see.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

Unrelated question: If we win, can we do The Freddie? Anybody else old enough to remember that soon-to-be- reborn craze dance? Think it lasted about a solid week and a half back in the day. . . .

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Still, it doesn't matter if it is Stanton or this kid... if Baker goes down, we're screwed.

If he’s hurt long term, yes. But teams can stay afloat with a competent backup if it's only a few games.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

I almost made it halfway through that video.

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I would like to see Sam Bradford signed.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

That is the dream scenario for me, but I'm not sure it's realistic. Garrett Gilbert should be fine.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Bradford made Danny Amendola and Adam Thielen stars. With this bunch he'd be killer as a back-up...with the usual qualifier: When healthy.

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 04/05/19 06:21 PM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Has Bradford retired? I'm surprised no one has brought him in as a backup. Hell, I would play him ahead of Eli.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, his health is the big concern. But, the dude is extremely accurate. He would be a great backup qb w/the weapons we have. I don't think we'd miss a beat if he had to play 2 to 3 games.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Has Bradford retired? I'm surprised no one has brought him in as a backup. Hell, I would play him ahead of Eli.

He hasn't retired, but going from $20 million a year to something like $4 million a year is a huge pay cut and a job demotion comes along with it. I'd be surprised if he ever plays again.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I get that, but $4 million for a part-time job isn't a bad gig.

C
Legend
Legend
C
I get that, but $4 million for a part-time job isn't a bad gig.

It might be when you've basically never had that job before in your life and you have to move your family to a new city and you have $130 million in career earnings.

(Obviously I'm just speculating.)

B
Legend
Legend
B
We have our starter in Bake.

We have our back-up in Stanton.

We have our developmental guy in Gilbert. When he is ready, Stanton leaves and we bring in another guy.

I know some don't like Stanton. I do.

I like a vet QB.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Me too. And by our Browns, but-of-course.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
One last thing about Bradford, and I'll shut up: He's a very smart guy. Learning the offense like he did in Minnesota one week before the season started was exceptional...I believe he started week two. He'd be very good for Baker and the offense with what he could do in recognizing defensive schemes and such.

Legend
Legend
Bradford has made so much money for doing so little that it's amazing.

His greatest strength is getting injured with season and potentially career ending injuries.

No thanks.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
He wouldn't be the starter, YTown. He would be the "backup."

He is extremely accurate. With our weapons, we would not miss a beat w/him for a game or three.

No one is saying he is our long-term starter. This thread is entitled "Backup Quarterback."

C
Legend
Legend
C
Garrett Gilbert will be 28 when the season starts. He’s not a developmental QB. He’s probably our #2.

Legend
Legend
Oh he is Number 2 alright.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Garrett Gilbert will be 28 when the season starts. He’s not a developmental QB. He’s probably our #2.

Maybe so.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'm not so sure about that. All teams need extra arms in camp and if it turns into something more, then fine.

Bingo...we have a winner.

One of the key reasons for signing another backup QB is to protect Baker's arm from overuse in camp.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Probably because of his AFF results. They were pretty good.

Don't you want to see him against NFL players before you decide? rofl

Gilbert showed some stuff in the AAF, but he definitely needs to speed up his processing.

LOL I'm not the one that needs convinced apparently... But he does have to show it on the field before he makes the final roster. so there is time and I bet there will be at least one more arm in here before it's all said and done.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac
I'm not so sure about that. All teams need extra arms in camp and if it turns into something more, then fine.

One of the key reasons for signing another backup QB is to protect Baker's arm from overuse in camp.

I think most everybody has that figured out. We may even sign a undrafted to give a look and be there through mini camps and maybe the early portion of camp. There will be enough throwing where 4 arms would be useful.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image]

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I think most everybody has that figured out. We may even sign a undrafted to give a look and be there through mini camps and maybe the early portion of camp. There will be enough throwing where 4 arms would be useful.

Really...everyone has that figured out?

Baker might be a prime candidate due to his new weapons and the need to practice those deep patterns, getting the timing down, it might be enough of a concern to limit the number of throws Baker makes per practice..also known as a "pitch count".

To get the needed reps for our WRs adding more QBs should help to solve the problem.

Just sayn, peen... thumbsup

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anyone have thoughts on Trace McSorley as a potential QB3 and "gadget" player?

I think Stanton's a good guy, but I think the veteran mentor deal is overplayed at times. It's nice to have someone setting an example that first year, but after that the guys gotta also be able to play well. Coaches can coach. I'm sure Baker has guys he can call if he wants a "mentor."

I wouldn't want McSorley as a starter, but I think if Baker went down for a game or two he'd keep those games more interesting than Stanton. If he's there in the 7th, you could talk me into him. Maybe earlier. Could possibly have a Taysom Hill type role. Could give the D Lamar Jackson looks on scout team. Part of the appeal is the creativity Freddie showed last season.

NFL.com has him listed as a PFA. I think he's at least that valuable. Seems to be a hard working film grinder, and Saquon can't seem to find enough good things to say.

Just my latest musing. Any thoughts?

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C
If we were to draft a long term backup for Baker Mayfield, I would want Will Grier. He would already know much of Todd Monken's offense after being with Dana Holgorsen at West Virginia and he is an accurate QB.

I think Garrett Gilbert will be our backup in 2019 with Stanton being the cheerleader/QB coach.

Legend
Legend
The bigger and more immediate question to me is "does anyone think we'll carry three QBs?"

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The bigger and more immediate question to me is "does anyone think we'll carry three QBs?"

I think we have to. We're loaded w/talent and even mediocre qb play should thrive w/all the weapons we have. If Baker gets hurt, we need a guy who is at least capable. I don't think Drew is that guy.

I would seriously invest in a quality backup qb and pray that it was a bad value decision because Baker stayed healthy the entire year. But, it's kinda like insurance. It's a rip off until something catastrophic happens.

C
Legend
Legend
C

If Drew Stanton is on the roster? Yes. If he is not in the roster? No.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

That's a good question. As of right now I'd say probably yes. In order to go with just two, you really need to have a reliable starter (who doesn't get injured very often.. not sure how much stock I can put into Baker's durability after one year in the NFL) and preferably backup too.

Even then, you kind of have to have an emergency plan. I like what the Saints do. Brees is their clear-cut starter. Bridgewater is the backup. However, they bring in Taysom Hill at a variety of positions--including QB, where they use the built-in running advantage of the zone read to pick up some easy 3rd and shorts. He still has enough QB skills to hit open receivers, so defenses can't completely sell out against the run like some of the misguided Wildcat packages of the past.

That approach would also give the team its emergency/3rd QB if disaster struck.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Here's more on the Saints usage of Taysom Hill from back in November: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-examining-sean-paytons-creative-use-of-taysom-hill

That's pretty much my ideal 3rd QB-- somebody who is talented/athletic enough to use in a variety of ways, but still good enough of a passer that you can use him as a zone read type QB when desired, and can run a competent offense if the first two guys get injured.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
The Pagel thing? If Baker goes down, we're in trouble.

The Couch/Holcomb thing was a strange luxury. Strange emphasized.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I think Garrett Gilbert will be our backup in 2019 with Stanton being the cheerleader/QB coach.

Nice call on Gilbert. I think he's going to be our back-up.

There may be a 4th guy, developmental guy who may find himself on the practice squad.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Really...everyone has that figured out?

Baker might be a prime candidate due to his new weapons and the need to practice those deep patterns, getting the timing down, it might be enough of a concern to limit the number of throws Baker makes per practice..also known as a "pitch count".

To get the needed reps for our WRs adding more QBs should help to solve the problem.

Just sayn, peen... thumbsup

Nice to know that Baker worked with both Landry AND OBJ last summer. At least he has some familiarity with Odell's route running before now.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

It looks like Dorsey is sticking w/the three qbs who are currently on the roster. I think that could be a mistake.

This team is loaded w/offensive talent and that can make a qb look much better than he is, but he still has to be competent.

I still wish we would bring Sam Bradford in to be our backup. He's very accurate and team would play well if he had to play a few games.

Blake Bortles would be next on my list provided that he would accept a smaller salary. He can run and has a pretty big arm. We should be okay if he had to play a few games.

Josh McCown is really getting old, but he could probably play a few games and he is a great locker room guy.

I simply do not feel comfortable w/our two current backups if Baker were to miss more than a game.

Oh, I almost forgot to say "Sashi." Count that, Excel. brownie

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Backup Quarterback?

Link Copied to Clipboard