Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Quote:
Swindling the New York Giants to get Odell Beckham Jr.: Transforming the Cleveland Browns, Decision No. 2

Genius!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Surrounding Baker Mayfield with a team ready to win: Transforming the Cleveland Browns, Decision No. 1 - cleveland.com
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/04...ision-no-1.html

By Doug Lesmerises, cleveland.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- It’s all about the quarterback, but not only about the quarterback. Of course, the arrival of Baker Reagan Mayfield is No. 1 on our list of moves that transformed the Cleveland Browns.

The move: Pick Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield at No. 1 in the 2018 NFL Draft.

The context: A year ago at this time, the day before the draft, the world didn’t know which way John Dorsey would lean. One NFL exec insisted to Mary Kay Cabot that Wyoming QB Josh Allen would go No. 1 to the Browns -- “You can take it to the bank," he said.

Some still thought USC quarterback Sam Darnold would be the choice. A story from The Ringer a week before the draft a year ago explained why that mock drafter finally moved off Darnold and to Allen -- because everyone was linking the Browns and Allen.

I move we declare every Wednesday before the NFL Draft “Could Have Been Josh Allen Day” in Cleveland.

The result: Mayfield broke the rookie record for touchdown passes. He become one of nine rookies in the last 48 years to lead at least four game-winning fourth-quarter drives in a season, joining a group that includes Ben Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott and Matt Ryan. He showed how the Browns could win, and he changed the franchise.

The alternative: A lot of GMs would have gone with an alternative, but Dorsey said after the draft he had been zeroed in on Mayfield for months. After passing in 2016 and 2017, there was no doubt the Browns were going quarterback at No. 1, and if you were pounding the table for the Browns to draft running back Saquon Barkley, Giants general manager Dave Gettleman would like to take you to dinner.

Still, the Allen rumors frightened rational Browns fans. Legendary NFL writer Peter King had a friend of Dorsey’s telling him into April he thought Allen was the choice. The NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah said on April 9 that people in the league believed the Browns were going with Allen. Respected NFL reporter Albert Breer wrote about the Browns choice on April 12 last year without mentioning Mayfield -- it was Allen or Darnold.

You lived through it. You remember the buildup, and you soaked in the outcome. But it’s always worth remembering ... it could have been Josh Allen.

The credit: Some other general managers would have selected Mayfield, but certainly not all of them. Darnold would have been a reasonable choice, and I’d expect him to have a long productive career if the Jets give him any help. But he wouldn’t have injected the same kind of buzz into the franchise that Mayfield has.

So, again, this is Dorsey. He found his guy. And one year in, Mayfield have proven he’s just what the Browns needed.

The future: Mayfield won’t be perfect. At some point, his strong personality may create some hard feelings. Defenses will find the best way to deal with him, and someone will point out again that he’s on the short side.

While he posted the touchdown numbers and completion percentage you’d want from a rookie quarterback, it’s Mayfield’s ability to win that makes him so compelling. He’s a guy fans believe will find a way. That idea is rooted in reality because Mayfield was dropped into a team ready to win. Then the Browns added to that this offseason.

Roethlisberger, Wilson and Carson Wentz led Super Bowl winners in year two, and Jared Goff made the playoffs in year two and the Super Bowl in year three, because they had talent around them.

Of course Mayfield is No. 1 (though your Zane Gonzalez and DeShone Kizer jokes were noted). But he’s No. 1 with 24 other franchise-building moves under him. That’s why this team will make the playoffs in 2019 and why examining the Browns this way was worth it.

Darnold has an intriguing future with the Jets. Allen, believe it or not, could work out in Buffalo. But what Mayfield has -- like Goff and Wentz and Patrick Mahomes and Mitchell Trubisky -- is a chance to win right now as a young QB. That’s not because he’s No. 1 on his own.

It’s because he’s No. 1 of 25.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I wish I knew who was responsible for the vast majority of these decisions.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Interesting twist on our predicted #1....

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Most likely Sashi and Dorsey were... but I'm sure they might have had some type of influence from others...

edit: I should add guys like Williams, Kitchens, Wilks, and yes perhaps even Hue... just based on the wordings of some of the decisions.

Last edited by devicedawg; 04/24/19 03:14 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, mmmm hmmmmm.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I was hoping you weren't trolling... thought we were passed that... guess not... carry on.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The truth that most every decision that got us where we are now lays in the hands of Dorsey isn't trolling. It's telling the truth.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Most likely Sashi and Dorsey were... but I'm sure they might have had some type of influence from others...

edit: I should add guys like Williams, Kitchens, Wilks, and yes perhaps even Hue... just based on the wordings of some of the decisions.

For sure. Dorsey is on record saying Williams wanted Denzel Ward over Bradley Chubb and that was one of the factors he considered, even though the final choice was his.

Listening to his people is just one more thing that makes Dorsey so great.

I also love that you gave Sashi some credit. Everyone wants it to be all Sashi or no Sashi. He def did some stuff that has helped us out to date.

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Maybe if you stomp you're foot... thumbsup

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: myka
Listening to his people is just one more thing that makes Dorsey so great.

Dorsey said something in his last press conference that I loved:

Quote:
On the research processes and resources used when considering trade value and Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta’s role in it:

“When you make a decision, it helps to have as much information as you possibly can."

This is very wise. There are other GMs that are set in their ways and only know the old school way. Dorsey seems to want to incorporate as many ideas and as much information as possible.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

What kills me is that the author of these articles is almost certainly the most clueless and biased of all the local journalists, but since it fits the agenda of some.........it's gospel.

Meanwhile, the guy who actually had inside access isn't to be believed because he is a reporter.

Let it die!

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

What kills me is that the author of these articles is almost certainly the most clueless and biased of all the local journalists, but since it fits the agenda of some.........it's gospel.

Meanwhile, the guy who actually had inside access isn't to be believed because he is a reporter.

Let it die!

You're making something out of nothing. It's just an interesting topic of discussion. There are no agendas, no conspiracies, no ulterior motives. Calm yourself.

I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away. wink

As it turns out, these 25 decisions were all personnel decisions, so Dorsey certainly has received the lion's share of the credit by the author, so why are you tilting at windmills?

#gmstrong
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

lol, your, not you're. tongue

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Sorry Cal, that dude is a terrible writer and is biased. Hell, he might be device. LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Let it die!

That would be really good advice.

For someone.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Stop!

device brings the dude up almost daily. I try and ignore it, but his BS is old and tired.

For example........the Rams were going to offer the farm for Baker if they hadn't drafted Goff? I searched and searched and that was BS. How about when he said that Baker was the consensus number one of NFL GM's? I searched and searched and could not find that either.

I have tried to ignore the consistent lies and deception, but some will not stop.

I mean, I can state opinions as facts, as well.

If Sashi was still in charge, we would be picking first. Guaranteed.

See how freaking dumb those kind of statements are when you don't agree w/them?

Dorsey is in charge now. How about we get behind him and stop the stupid ass Hue/Sashi crap?

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Is there someone who is saying the majority of those decisions were made by someone else?? if so, who are they saying made the majority of the decisions?? answer is no one is saying it . another straw man.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
who the hell is not behind Dorsey?? every browns fan supports jd and what he has done to turn this franchise around. your bowels are in an uproar because this author dared to include things that were done by that scalliwag Sashi Brown and that is just unacceptable to you. This author took a nuanced look at this turnaround and really did a great job identifying key steps that were made. take some Maalox and get over it.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Just about everything you said here is a lie.

I don't (not even close) bring up Sashi everyday. In fact, you and your posse (Pit, Diam) mention him far more than I do. You can't go too far into a thread without one of you guys ruining it with a hateful Sashi rant.

another link

Your obsession and insistence to slander my name is what's really an issue here. I'm not sure if you're upset I was right about Baker. Or maybe you were upset you were wrong about your guy. Maybe you are upset you were wrong about Hue?

It doesn't matter what I do or attempt to prove to you what is correct you will still attempt to convince this board to turn on me. Some here don't like me. I don't care. Some might like me. That's great. I remember when we were arguing once and you said if I proved you wrong you would apologize. I proved you wrong and you disappeared. No apology. I let it go because it's not that important to me, but that's all I needed for me to know what you're all about. We can be civil on this board and I would prefer you choose to be.

And yes, I agree, you guys need to put the Sashi/Hue stuff behind you and quit ruining threads. Just let it go, man. Let. It. Go.

Legend
Legend

I don't (not even close) bring up Sashi everyday. In fact, you and your posse (Pit, Diam) mention him far more than I do. You can't go too far into a thread without one of you guys ruining it with a hateful Sashi rant.

I was actually curious so I did an actual forum search for the word "Sashi" and specific to a couple of users.

Device, you've used the name 34 times in the last 12 weeks, so less than 3 times a week. By comparison, Pit and Diam have used the word in 44 different posts each, and Vers has mentioned his name in 54 separate posts in those same 12 weeks.

I couldn't find anyone else over 20.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Interesting. I thought about that I was typing that out. Didn't realize you could search for such things... Well, I guess I was right.

I'd imagine something like half of my posts were a rebuttal to something one of them said.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

I was actually curious so I did an actual forum search for the word "Sashi" and specific to a couple of users.

Device, you've used the name 34 times in the last 12 weeks, so less than 3 times a week. By comparison, Pit and Diam have used the word in 44 different posts each, and Vers has mentioned his name in 54 separate posts in those same 12 weeks.

Now THAT'S how you use the search function. Bravo!

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: ExclDawg

Now THAT'S how you use the search function. Bravo!

Our version of the Mueller investigation. Dang analytics...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Well, it was an interesting discussion while it lasted. Held out longer than I thought before it degenerated into a crap fest. thumbsup

Might as well lock it up, refs. willynilly

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The only thing left is what decisions do we make next... what happens this weekend? tonight? It's an ongoing saga...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The only thing left is what decisions do we make next... what happens this weekend? tonight? It's an ongoing saga...

Generally speaking, it is much more difficult to get a team over the top (the final couple of key pieces) than it is to get a so-so team near the top...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V
Love the logic. You have to say the exact word to actually be talking about that particular topic.

rofl

For example........I went to page one of this very thread. devise said this:

Quote:
Quote:
The final pieces from the Wentz trade helping the Browns right now: Denzel Ward, Damarious Randall, Jabrill Peppers (who was an important part of the Odell Beckham trade), Chad Thomas and a seventh-round pick in this year’s draft.

I'm obviously going to be chastised for saying this, but I think whomever we brought in, whether it was Dorsey, or some other GM to make the decisions, he would have had the opportunity to turn a dying franchise around. I know it's not a popular opinion, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE some of the things Dorsey has done... the ultimate goal is to win a Super Bowl. If we do that and erect a statue of Dorsey I'll be happy as a clam.

But according to Excel's logic, [sic] this doesn't count.

Stick to trashing LeBron, Excel. It's what you do best.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 04/25/19 09:04 AM.
Legend
Legend
Yes, I'm sure device and everybody else did nothing but talk about Sashi in non-direct references, every day for the last two months, all because you found one example of it. While only you Pitt and Diam happened to bring him up by actual name. And you question my logic?

You made a personal attack of device, accusing him of doing something. Device called you out on it. So I looked into bringing actual facts to the table, rather than just casual accusations and name-calling. Searching for a name, while not absolutely perfect, is still going to provide a pretty good baseline of who's mentioning the man in topics. Sorry that you didn't like the results.

So instead, you just go back to personal attacks. If you like, feel free to use the search engine to find examples of where I'm "trashing Lebron". You keep bringing that up in the basketball thread, but either you have no idea what "trashing" is, or you're just making up more baseless accusations of people.

V
Legend
Legend
V
First of all, I am not petty enough to do such a search. And your logic is illogical. If a person replies to a post that has referenced Sashi and says the word "Sashi" than it skews your lame-ass data. Look, I just said Sashi twice. Oh wait, three times. brownie

Legend
Legend
But you're petty enough to make the accusations with no means of backing them up?

And again, that same logic would still apply to everyone. So, you're saying that everyone else managed to avoid quoting posts that mentioned him and avoided mentioning him by name, but it was only you that fell into that trap?

V
Legend
Legend
V
I PMed you my thoughts. I'll leave it at that.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Yes. This is getting pretty ridiculous. Anything I say will be a reference towards Sashi apparently.

I'll just let him do his usual thing... [sigh]

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I've been trolled....

Quote:
As always... Don't Feed the Trolls.

Sorry board, I'm moving on from this....

Legend
Legend
I wish you would all do so.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Or maybe if you live in denial of the facts.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
The article simply points out that Many, Many things got us to the point where we are now. Many of these things were decisions made which were focused towards future goals, rather than "right now" goals, and were made by Sashi. For the future, not the "right now", at the time.

John Dorsey has made a majority of the good decisions for "right now", and many of those were only possible with the resources Sashi provided.

When it is contended that Sashi was a horrible GM, for "right now", he was not so good, but for the future, according to the plan, which is OUR "Right Now", at this present time, he did a lot of good for this team.

Hue Jackson being the worst HC in the history of NFL football was also a good thing, for the future, as if he were just fairly inept and incompetent, we might have won a few games and missed on both Garret and Mayfield. So Hue Jackson's monumental suckitude, while not planned and actually just a happy accident, also helped get us where we are today.

IMO Sashi knew the plan and acted according to it, Hue was just a clueless idiot who played his role.

Those who vilify Sashi frequently do so to mask Hue's failings, much like Hue himself has done and still does.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think anyone vilifies him. I mean he just sucked at drafting talent and wasn't qualified for the job by anything listed on his resume'. I actually kind of felt sorry for him.

And I managed not to mention his name! smile

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Both Sashi and Hue failed.

Sashi had this idea that the more picks, the more hits you would have.

Well, let's look:

1 15 Corey Coleman WR Baylor
2 32 Emmanuel Ogbah DE Oklahoma State
3 65 Carl Nassib DE Penn State
3 76 Shon Coleman T Auburn
3 93 Cody Kessler QB USC
4 99 Joe Schobert OLB Wisconsin
4 114 Ricardo Louis WR Auburn
4 129 Derrick Kindred SAF Texas Christian
4 138 Seth DeValve WR Princeton
5 154 Jordan Payton WR UCLA
5 168 Spencer Drango G Baylor
5 172 Rashard Higgins WR Colorado State
5 173 Trey Caldwell DB Louisiana-Monroe
7 250 Scooby Wright LB Arizona

How many starters out of this group? I see 1 starter, and 2 backups.

This is only a couple of years ago.

Let's look at 2017's draft:

1 1 Myles Garrett DE Texas A&M
1 25 Jabrill Peppers SAF Michigan
1 29 David Njoku TE Miami (Fla.)
2 52 DeShone Kizer QB Notre Dame
3 65 Larry Ogunjobi DT North Carolina-Charlotte
4 126 Howard Wilson CB Houston
5 160 Roderick Johnson T Florida State
6 185 Caleb Brantley DT Florida
7 224 Zane Gonzalez K Arizona State
7 252 Matt Dayes RB North Carolina State

Myles was an absolute no brainer. Peppers was OK, but I doubt many ears were shed when he left. Njoku has promise, and some level of performance. Ogunjobi is a stud.

So, from Sashi's 2 drafts, 24 picks, 4 first rounders, 2 seconds, 4 thirds, 5 fourths, 5 fifths, 1 sixth and 3 sevenths ..... 6 players remain.

Am I missing anyone?

From his only draft (until today) Dorsey has dramatically upgraded the team. Yes, he inherited extra picks, but he made them count.

Out of his 1st draft, we have the following (expected) starters:

Mayfield
Ward
Corbett
Chubb
Avery

We also potential key backups in Thomas and Callaway.

Again, these aren't just draft pick "hangers-on", because the talent level sucks. (like Coleman was) These players have shown that they could be part of the solution for making this team into a playoff team.

Sashi worked his plan for accumulating draft picks, but failed when it came to picking the players. There is only one single starter from the 2016 draft. That's horrible, especially with 14 picks. The whole idea for us letting everyone leave as free agents was to add compensatory picks, to replenish the team. Instead, he decimated the team.

2017 was better, but outside of Myles and Ogunjobi, we have only Njoku. (just 2 years later) That's brutal. Sashi really did get a lot of players who were "not real players." These were Sashi decisions.

Sashi's biggest contribution was the trade with Houston, and to get really lucky that Watson got hurt, so those Texans picks set us for this year. You don't count on a player getting hurt to save your bacon. In the end, even luck couldn't save Sashi from his own incompetence. (and that's not an insult, he simply didn't have the knowledge and/or experience to know what to look for)

CalDawg Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Or maybe if you live in denial of the facts.

What are those facts, exactly, Pit?

#gmstrong
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum 25 Decisions That Transformed The Cleveland Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard