Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: steve0255
Stop the BS about Duke Johnson and look at what he's done and expected to do. Here's the bottom line, Duke is scheduled to be the 20th rated cap hit in 2019 at RB. His cost per touch is projected to be $35,057 if and that's a huge if he gets the same amount of touches in 2019 as 2018. To put it into perspective, the second highest cap hit at RB in 2019 is Todd Gurley and his cost per touch if he meets 2018 touches is $29,206. In this comparison, the Browns are projected to pay Duke Johnson $5,851 more for every touch in 2019 than Todd Gurley! REALLY?

The reason Duke wasn't traded during the draft is because no team wants that contract. Highest paid RB per touch in the NFL? You have got to be kidding me. That's the sole reason Kitchens is making the statements he's making. He either embraces Duke or stays silent until the Browns cut him for being disruptive and eat the dead cap money they'll have to absorb.

I get it, Browns fans like Duke. But come on, here's a guy making more money than Gurley per touch and he's demanding a trade? A certain 3rd stringer used mostly on 3rd down and the Browns are paying him more than Gurley per touch? Time to cut bait...…………………………….he's not worth the trouble.

Due respect, I'm not sure cost/touch is a particularly valid metric. Add 2 more touches per game, and his cost/touch is unremarkable. What is more valid is what he does with his touches.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Gurley is also in the final year of his Rookie contract.

So your comparison is apples and oranges imo.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Likewise with the respect, lets talk about what he does with his touches per cost. Duke's total yardage in 2018 running and receiving was 630 yards. That works out to $4,841 per yard projected in 2019 with similar numbers. He scored 3 TD's so the Browns would pay $1,016,667 per TD scored. He generated 34 first downs so that's $89,706 per first down.

Todd Gurley on the other hand had 1831 total yards which works out to a projected $5,024 per yd projected in 2019 with similar numbers. He scored 21 TD's so the LAR's would pay $438,095 per touchdown scored or 43% what the Brown's will pay Duke Johnson for his TD's. Gurley generated 96 first downs so that's $95,833 per first down. Though Gurley is very slightly more expensive, Duke Johnson is no Todd Gurley.

When the Browns resigned Johnson they paid him top 10 running back money at the time. In year one of the deal they got a 50% reduction in production. There is no validity to paying Duke Johnson a top 10 contract at the time or that he will be #20 in cap cost in 2019. Furthermore, having your (maybe) 3rd string RB making more money than all your other RB's combined for 5-6 touches a game is crazy. This is not a popularity contest where we pay the good guys the most - it's a what have you done for me lately and by all metrics, Duke Johnson is a flop under this current deal and now a disgruntled employee wanting to be traded with no market for his grossly inflated contract.

Even if we looked at a comparable player you know who was released by the NYJ after signing Bell and signed a FA contract with Oakland, Isaiah Crowell, you'd see Crowell's cap hit for 2019 is $1,250,000. Crowell had 164 touches in 2018 - 77 more than Johnson. Crowell had 837 total yards - 207 yds more than Johnson. Crowell had 6 TD's compared to Duke's 3 and Crowell had 33 first downs compared to Johnson's 34. You really want to say that Duke Johnson is $1,800,000 more valuable to a team than Crowell?

Even with that - a contract is a contract and the Browns screwed this one up. However, when a player is grossly over paid and his production is 50% of what it was in the past and you demand a trade - he's a fool and needs to be cut and test the market. Then you'll find out his true worth and it's nowhere near the $3,050,000 cap hit the Brown's might take this year. Why do you think Duke is asking for a trade? Because if he gets cut he knows that with his production getting a contract over 1.2 million is a Disney dream. Duke needs to shut up and take his money but he won't and the Browns need to cut him.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Wrong, Gurley signed a 60 million contract extension in July 2018 that now has him under contract until 2023. The cost comparison was based on his cap hit to the LAR using his current extended deal.

That's what so disturbing in the fact that Duke Johnson is the highest paid per touch RB in the top 30 RB's in 2019 cap - and Gurley will make 9.2 million in 2019 think about it!

Last edited by steve0255; 04/29/19 02:40 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think his issue is that he wants more touches. And he tends to be productive with the touches he gets. His problem with the Browns is twofold. First, he's not built to be a feature back, but is effective as a change of pace back. This limits his use in the running game. Second, his role as a receiver tends to be as a secondary or safety valve. When Baker gets in trouble, he still looks for his downfield options when most QBs are looking for their safety valves.

There are likely other teams where he would naturally get more touches than he gets in Cleveland. The Browns are talking like they have no plans to trade him (or haven't gotten the right deal.) If he's in Cleveland for the season, then I believe we will see him get more touches, not just to make him happy, but because he IS productive when he gets them.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know. He's always been productive when they got him the ball, but under Freddie his touches have actually gone down.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
But is that Freddie? Or is that Baker looking for the big strike rather than the check down?

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
P
Legend
Legend
P
In the end result, does it really matter? Baker isn't going to stop being Baker. And why would he?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My point is more about making Duke the primary a few more times a game.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My mistake ... And I thought that Duke made closer to 5 million per year.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
My point is more about making Duke the primary a few more times a game.

Why? I kind of get the idea of wanting to keep Duke happy. However, it might make more sense to keep our better home run hitters as earlier options.

Duke is a good safety valve, but he's not necessarily a guy who is a threat to take it to the house on any play. If the home runs not there, take what they're giving underneath with Duke.

It might actually end up working that way next year. Teams try to take away OBJ and Callaway, leaving more room and work for Duke.

Of course we do have Chubb and will have Hunt for the safety valve work, too.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Gurley is also in the final year of his Rookie contract.

So your comparison is apples and oranges imo.

I thought the Rams extended Gurley and made him the highest paid RB in the league? I could be wrong.

With that said, I'm not sure that ranking dollars to touches is the best way to evaluate a player. LOL

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Legend
Legend
D
Quote:
#Browns GM John Dorsey on @BullandFox: "I keep telling you guys and you all don't listen to me. Duke Johnson is a viable member of this organization. He's very talented. This organization has plans to use him."

None of which precludes "using him" to trade for Gerald McCoy - just saying. I heard that interview and I didn't hear John Dorsey say that we're not trading Duke Johnson.

B
Legend
Legend
B
We might. Or, we might not.

Dorsey says he is valuable. In which realm we will find out.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Didn’t want to start a thread as it really doesn’t effect us so I’ll add this here. Maybe another Duke trading partner?
Crowell tore his Achilles. Done for the season already.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26646171/raiders-crowell-hurt-done-season

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know. They are certainly two completely different styles of RB's.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Oakland just drafted a RB, but I'm not sure what his skill set is compared to Duke

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I really just posted the link on this thread as to not start one just for an exBrowns’ injury.
I understand Duke and Crowell are very different backs. One would not replace the other.

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
When he pretended to take a poop and threw the ball into the stands during the Thursday Night game in Cleveland, I was done caring about Crowell. I wish he had torn both Achilles.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
When he pretended to take a poop and threw the ball into the stands during the Thursday Night game in Cleveland, I was done caring about Crowell. I wish he had torn both Achilles.

Yet, you defend the crotch-grabbing, flag-planting [sic,] stare-downing, trash-talking, Baker Mayfeld.

Go figure.

S
Legend
Legend
S
I hope we find a way to keep him, and also keep him as a guy who sees the field and gets touches.

He could be an unbelievably valuable part of this team for depth, for versatility.

But I totally understand him wanting to be dealt. I probably would too. There is an absolute log jam of backs and receivers on this team, and you just only get so many good years in your prime.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Well said.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Yet, you defend the crotch-grabbing, flag-planting [sic,] stare-downing, trash-talking, Baker Mayfeld.

Go figure.

What Baker did was as a Browns partisan .. What Crowell did was not.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
V
Legend
Legend
V
So, your actions are not evaluated on their merit, but what side you represent?

Btw.........the failed flag planting thing happened in Columbus while he was an Okie.

L
Legend
Legend
L

Go figure.

Yeah, I'm right up Baker's ass. (Rolls eyes)

I've not been shy to point out things Baker does that I don't like, but he's our QB. The Browns quarterback.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
don’t forget” touchdown throwing, game winning” when you are describing our quarterback.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'm sorry. I thought lamp was talking about character traits. I am not arguing that Baker didn't play well last year. I'm just saying he is an ass.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I've told you this before: if he keeps balling out, I don't care if he plants a flag in Columbus, I don't care that he grabbed his crotch in college. If he ain't killing anybody, or raping some kid, or smashing his wife in the face, and as long as he's winning on Sunday, me and Bake are good.

I don't mind if you see it differently.

Edit: obviously that was for vers. I wasn't talking to myself lol.

Last edited by lampdogg; 05/01/19 09:56 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
No problem, lamp. I am not asking you to change. However, it was you who brought up Crow's antics. Not me. Thus, I feel my response was reasonable. You may not. That's fine, too.

But, I hope you aren't trying to tell me I am not entitled to my opinions?

Legend
Legend

Go figure.

Yeah, I'm right up Baker's ass. (Rolls eyes)

I've not been shy to point out things Baker does that I don't like, but he's our QB. The Browns quarterback.

I'm right there with you. He wears Orange and Brown. He hasn't raped anybody or punched any women. I love his moxy, his attitude, his leadership and his talent. His team mates love him. He's a winner. I'm not gonna whine if he gets a little lippy.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
No problem, lamp. I am not asking you to change. However, it was you who brought up Crow's antics. Not me. Thus, I feel my response was reasonable. You may not. That's fine, too.

But, I hope you aren't trying to tell me I am not entitled to my opinions?

Crowell was a former Brown, who dissed our house.

I don't tell anyone, anywhere, ever, they aren't entitled to their opinions.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
Legend
V
Well, you sure have been getting on my ass for my opinions. Later dude.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I don't see that I have been 'getting on your ass' about your opinions.

gmstrong

-----------------

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Duke for his career averages 1 TD per 41 touches.
he caught alot of checkdown passes in a very bad offense for 2 years.
practically every NFL team has a "Duke Johnson"
on their roster.
a RB that is reliable out of the backfield catch routes under 10 yards.
very over rated RB.
he couldnt even make the roster on the 3 other AFC North teams.
some around here even claimed last year Duke was the greatest slot receiver in NFL history.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper

he couldnt even make the roster on the 3 other AFC North teams.]

Silliness.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper

he couldnt even make the roster on the 3 other AFC North teams.]

Silliness.

I think that Duke is overrated by most on this board, but I agree w this, Turk. That statement was silliness.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Silliness yes.
what teams could he play for in the North?

not Cincy...they have a loaded backfield now.
Mixon Bernard Williams Anderson

Bmore...nope..they have Edwards and Ingram and they drafted a RB.

Pburgh...what they have on their roster is clearly better.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Which goes back to EXACTLY what I was trying to say. The Browns gave a RB that would not be a starter on any team in the NFL a top 10 RB contract. Now, going into 2019, we have the 20th most expensive cap hit at RB in Johnson for a player that will eventually be 3rd string at best on the roster. Combine that with the fact he and/or his agent are demanding a trade when no other team in the NFL is going to trade for that inflated contract that makes him the most expensive RB in the NFL based on salary per touch unless that team has a serious injury they can't fill from the practice squad.

There's a problem with a player that is so grossly overpaid for what he produces on the field and then demands a trade. Here's a question for you, the rumor was Philadelphia was interested in Johnson. Why wasn't that move made? Pretty simple, they were able to get Jordan Howard for a $2,025,000 cap hit this year. 5 times the RB that Duke Johnson is for $1,025,000 less in cap hit and Howard is a year younger than Duke.

The last 2 years compared:
Johnson 261 touches, 1576 total yds, 9 TD's
Howard 559 touches, 2313 total yds, 18 TD's

Duke Johnson is grossly overpaid and compared to other backs far less productive. That is the reason Duke is still on the Browns - who in their right mind would take that contract that has 3-years left on it - AND IT GETS WORST: Cap hit 2019 = $3,050,000, 2020 = $4,850,000, and 2021 = $5,900,000. Really, $5,900,000 for 7 or less touches per game at RB and he's demanding a trade? Really? What team in the NFL is going to take that contract - name one?

Legend
Legend

This situation in Tampa with McCoy could get interesting.

Sounds like bad blood between the parties involved.

He has reached that mark after nine years that organizations are looking for cheaper and younger. Even with solid production this when things get cold.

His money is not guaranteed. They could hold on to him till camp and then say we will pay you 7mil not 13mil. Good luck trying to find a team now.

I would offer them Duke straight up. See what happens.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Duke Johnson asks to be traded

Link Copied to Clipboard