Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Legend
Legend
O
Him choosing to sign there seems to have had little to do with the Browns or Cleveland. Article makes him sound salty towards Tampa Bay.

Legend
Legend
He's dead to me.

😂😁

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Him choosing to sign there seems to have had little to do with the Browns or Cleveland. Article makes him sound salty towards Tampa Bay.

yep .. It wasn't about money .. It wasn't about making the Playoffs .. It was about making Tampa Bay pay for releasing him and signing Suh.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dorsey can only sign so many studs an off-season...:)

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: bonefish

A disappointment but what can you do?

Asked

Quote:
You never know an opportunity opens for someone else and maybe that guy makes the best of it.

And answered ... thumbsup

All we can do at this point is be glad he isn’t in our our division, our conference or we don’t play them this year ... in that order ...

Thats a big pick up for them and a loss for us ... were still plenty good but as u well know u can never have enough good football players and he’s still a really good one ..

they needed him more so that was nice of us ... *LOL* ...

Mr. Clem

Did u miss this reply in regards to how good we are even though he would have been a huge pick up for us ...it was posted after my reply to Memphis ...

IMO we still have more talent than anyone else in the league ... adding him would have widened that gap not created it ... thumbsup

Like i been saying since last Sept ,,,, this is DIFFERENT ... thumbsup

I think this was a BIG LOSS in that he would have made us a better football team ... like i said to bone ... u can never have enough good players and he’s still one of them ... but in no way does not signing him change the fact that IMO we have the most talented team in the league ...

3 high quality DT’s are better than 2 .... and 5 high quality DL man are better than 4 ... theres that math again ... *L* ...

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
He's dead to me.

😂😁

Turns out with your analogy u were just being mean ... *L*

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

This is interesting.....

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
As I said before, he is now just another guy to beat. Next.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
As I said before, he is now just another guy to beat. Next.

I'm not so sure. Most people seemed convinced it was a done deal until McCoy's visit with Carolina. I think the odds changed after the Buccs signed Suh - who'll be wearing McCoy's number, and the Panthers were able to leverage playing the Buccaneers twice.

Frankly, that seems to be what made his decision.

It cannot be money - the deal he's being offered is one the Browns and Ravens both would have happily matched. It cannot be winning as I'd argue the Browns and Ravens are both more likely to win the AFC North than the Panthers are to overcome the Saints and Falcons.

There are a lot of factors that we cannot know, to be sure, but I think the success of his visit with the Browns was overshadowed by the urge to get back at his former team.

I'm not bothered by not signing him. I love the duo of Richardson and Ogunjobi. Some nice depth options between Coley, Davis and Lawrence. But I do think the early indication was that he was almost certain to join the Browns.

Legend
Legend
He'd be signed and here right now if OBJ hadn't skipped OTA's and made a mockery of everything.

Also, the wipers on my car were acting up today... Damn You, OBJ!!!

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: BDU
and the Panthers were able to leverage playing the Buccaneers twice.

I didn't know being in the same division was considered leverage. I thought everyone in the same division played each other twice.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's dead to me to. Can we close this thread now?

BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: BDU
and the Panthers were able to leverage playing the Buccaneers twice.

I didn't know being in the same division was considered leverage. I thought everyone in the same division played each other twice.

I honestly can't figure out what you're trying to do with this post. Either the point that the Panthers are the only team to offer McCoy the opportunity to play his former team twice was lost on you, or you just literally think it needs to be pointed out that all teams play divisional opponents twice.

P
Legend
Legend
P
He knew the Panthers played the Bucs twice a year when he went there. It wasn't something the Panthers used as leverage.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Maybe the Panthers really played up that angle during the visit?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He beat his brains out weekly to get to FA and he did what he earned...tested the waters. Have a good time in Carolina. I personally dont see choosing some sort of revenge over winning and money but hey, he earned the choice. Moving forward...

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
As I said, you never know what motivates a guy...he wanted to stay in conference and division to play against the Bucs.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
As I said, you never know what motivates a guy...he wanted to stay in conference and division to play against the Bucs.

Better his division than ours. (if not with us)

No Craps Given
L
Legend
Legend
L
Would have been a nice signing, but I'm not really disappointed.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, McCoy gets just $4 million guaranteed, although he can make up to $10.25 million if he hits all his incentives.

In addition to the signing bonus, the deal includes a $3 million base salary, $500,000 roster bonus at training camp, a total of up to $500,000 in roster bonuses for being active on game days, a $500,000 bonus if he records 6.5 sacks and a $1.5 million bonus if he records eight sacks, plus $250,000 if he makes the Pro Bowl and $250,000 if the Panthers make the playoffs.

There’s no reason McCoy shouldn’t get the $3 million base salary and $500,000 roster bonus, which will bring him up to $7.5 million on the season, but the incentives will be tough to reach. If McCoy were to have an identical season in 2019 to the one he had in 2018, he’d make $437,500 in per-gram roster bonuses (for playing 14 out of 16 games), and hit none of the incentives: Last year McCoy didn’t get 6.5 sacks, didn’t make the Pro Bowl and the Panthers didn’t make the playoffs.

McCoy and his agent may have been looking for a way to spin the contract as comparable to or even better than the deal that Ndamukong Suh got to replace McCoy in Tampa, and by structuring it so that he can make up to $10.25 million, they’re allowing for the possibility that McCoy will make more than the $10 million maximum Suh can make this season.

The difference, however, is that Suh gets a $9.25 million salary, and only $750,000 of his pay is in incentives. McCoy is unlikely to hit enough incentives to reach $9.25 million. If McCoy were to have the same season this year that he had last year, he’d make just under $8 million — meaning getting cut by the Bucs will cost him more than $5 million.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I agree with how the Browns were thinking.. I don't understand the one year pay a guy a bunch.. It might work, but seems it never did in Cleveland. I'd rather see guys who want to be there for at least 3 -4 years to help with creating a winning culture and to help the young ones coming up to learn that

Imo a 31 yr old who is going to be there for one year isn't a helpful way of bringing up a young team whose players may be part of something for several at least.

L
Legend
Legend
L
As others stated, McCoy was a luxury. Great if we get him, not a disaster if we don't.We've beefed up our DL already, let's see what the younger guys can do on the interior.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
If McCoy were to have the same season this year that he had last year, he’d make just under $8 million — meaning getting cut by the Bucs will cost him more than $5 million.

I'm a bit surprised we apparently did not offer at least this much. Our DTs were abused in the running game last year and Richardson is better known as a pass rusher than a run stopper. I know people love Ogunjobi and rightfully so, but he has a hard time getting off of blocks in the run game. We could have used McCoy.

I thought we would have offered him a 2 year deal that was front loaded and would have allowed the club to part ways w/him after 1 year. I thought he might get $9.5 to $10 million for that first year.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Do we know what the Browns offered McCoy?

Ultimately, regardless of what any team offered McCoy, it does not mean that the highest bidder "wins".

Gerald McCoy has a wife and 5 children and I would think they have opinions that may have figured into the decision to go with Carolina.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
No, we don't. Of course, most of us know that money is almost always the single greatest determining factor in such situations.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Bottom line this is why you try to trade for a guy you want, even if you know hes going to be released. I think a 5th could have gotten it done, give TB something to build with and Mccoy is better than any 5th rounder we've drafted. Sometimes you try to get cute and miss out. Not saying thats what happened, but the rumors of us wanting him happened long before he was released.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
Bottom line this is why you try to trade for a guy you want, even if you know hes going to be released. I think a 5th could have gotten it done, give TB something to build with and Mccoy is better than any 5th rounder we've drafted. Sometimes you try to get cute and miss out. Not saying thats what happened, but the rumors of us wanting him happened long before he was released.

Lol if we offered him 13 mil, he would've signed here. The problem was never with McCoy's talent, but his price tag. I even said, I think his price was worth 8.5 mil tops, and that's not even my money. Which brings me to my point, just because you have money doesn't mean you should spend it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Sure, but we certainly didn't want him at 13 million a year.

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Which brings me to my point, just because you have money doesn't mean you should spend it.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Quote:
If McCoy were to have the same season this year that he had last year, he’d make just under $8 million — meaning getting cut by the Bucs will cost him more than $5 million.

I'm a bit surprised we apparently did not offer at least this much. Our DTs were abused in the running game last year and Richardson is better known as a pass rusher than a run stopper. I know people love Ogunjobi and rightfully so, but he has a hard time getting off of blocks in the run game. We could have used McCoy.

I thought we would have offered him a 2 year deal that was front loaded and would have allowed the club to part ways w/him after 1 year. I thought he might get $9.5 to $10 million for that first year.

I thought Richardson, at this point in his career, is now more of a run-stopper instead of a pass rusher. I think it's been a few years since he was the QB terrorizer that he was with the Jets.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
As others stated, McCoy was a luxury. Great if we get him, not a disaster if we don't.We've beefed up our DL already, let's see what the younger guys can do on the interior.

Agreed. I was surprised the McCoy threads got as much action as they did. Well maybe not so surprised, it is the slow part of the off-season after all.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What's a Gerald McCoy?

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg

Lol if we offered him 13 mil, he would've signed here. The problem was never with McCoy's talent, but his price tag. I even said, I think his price was worth 8.5 mil tops, and that's not even my money. Which brings me to my point, just because you have money doesn't mean you should spend it.

true, but my point was if we indeed really wanted him, that was the way to go as opposed to leaving things to chance as a FA

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
That's fine, I'd much rather have Richardson anyway.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I put this down to the man being hell bent on revenge which has little to do with winning. He is obviously not so bright.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I put this down to the man being hell bent on revenge which has little to do with winning. He is obviously not so bright.

Everyone has their pride, and I do not doubt that McCoy will be a one man wrecking crew against Tampa Bay. If not .. he is still cheap for the Panthers.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum McCoy continued ...

Link Copied to Clipboard