Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
CHSDawg #1630863 06/08/19 04:45 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
This topic has been so overblown and proof that news programs should never extend past 30 minutes a day.

Baker Mayfield was asked about Duke Johnson before Duke spoke to the media. He essentially said you're either with us or not. Duke then came out 30 mins later and said he only requested a trade because the Browns were shopping him and said that he wants to be where he's wanted. That happened on Monday and it's been reported that Baker and Duke have been joking around during camp. The story should've been put on hold then.

But nope the media needs stories so they can sell ad space, so they take a microscope to any story that might have a morsel of drama, then they sink their teeth into it. They'll cover anything for air time. So I don't care what former Browns legend and pizza lover Nate Burrelson thinks.

Trust me.. I can joke and play around with you.. but if I know you talking about my money... I didn't forget. Mentally, noted.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Duke's next contract is going to be in 2022. I don't think Baker's one comment from June 3rd of 2019 will have much of an affect on Duke's money.

Rishuz #1630867 06/08/19 04:54 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:

Any rational person would agree with this.

Thanks. And I don't want to make it bigger than it is. I just read a few recent posts and they were spinning a completely different narrative.

Baker messed up. Not a huge deal. Hopefully a vet or coach talks to him about this and it doesn't happen again.

I do like Baker's passion and hopefully he leads us to the first of many great seasons.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 06/08/19 04:56 PM.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Can someone quote for me exactly what Baker said about Duke's money?

V
Legend
Legend
V
You are trying to change the narrative and start yet another fight by claiming Baker never used the word "money." People can read.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Do you think you could have a normal conversation for once without all the agenda bs?

I'm not trying to change anything. There are a handful of posts commenting on what Baker said about Duke's money. I have no idea what was said about it and asked for a quote on what was said.

Why do you think everyone is out to get you? Just stop already.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

No, he never used the word money... the topic at hand was Dukes request to be traded.

Whether Dukes money, or Dukes status with the team, who is Baker to discuss it? As Vers said, its damn near man code to not discuss, especially in a negative light.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I had something typed out, but nope. I'm not playing. Enjoy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
A man's career is about money. Everyone knows that. device is just playing his usual games.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
A man's career is about money. Everyone knows that. device is just playing his usual games.

I thought that would be understood in my original comment, but I guess not. superconfused

V
Legend
Legend
V
It was understood by all. This is just one of the games he plays to "win."

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

No, he never used the word money... the topic at hand was Dukes request to be traded.

Whether Dukes money, or Dukes status with the team, who is Baker to discuss it? As Vers said, its damn near man code to not discuss, especially in a negative light.

He's the offensive leader of this team and hopefully the face of our franchise for years to come.

Also, Baker was asked what he thought. It's not like he just tweeted it randomly. This is just drama for the sake of drama at this point.

CHSDawg #1630889 06/08/19 06:05 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Baker is not part of management. Players are asked about other player's contracts and status all the time. They almost always respond w/something like "That is not in my job description." Or, "that's between blank and management." Or, "I'm just worried about what I can do to get better." Etc, etc.

I think we would drop this in a New York minute if some of you would stop trying to act like it wasn't wrong for him to say it. Let it go.........and it will die. Like immediately.

C
~
Legend
~
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Baker is not part of management. Players are asked about other player's contracts and status all the time. They almost always respond w/something like "That is not in my job description." Or, "that's between blank and management." Or, "I'm just worried about what I can do to get better." Etc, etc.

I think we would drop this in a New York minute if some of you would stop trying to act like it wasn't wrong for him to say it. Let it go.........and it will die. Like immediately.

Like I said, drama for the sake of drama.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree with CHS. This is well overblown. Evidenced by people insinuating this is about money and a contract. This is a MUCH different situation than someone holding out for a better contract. If that were the case I'd agree.

But this is a case where the player is under contract and wants to be traded. Completely different. I don't get the money angle here. He's not even asking for a trade because he wants additional money. He's getting paid and paid quite handsomely according to some on this board. He wants to LEAVE Cleveland.

I don't understand how some aren't seeing this, but i shouldn't be surprised. Many are making this about Baker's use of words and you're "either with us or against us."

I don't care if OBJ, or Jarvis, or Garrett is saying this, it's not a Baker thing. This is just something being twisted into something it isn't. But that's usually the case with these things.

V
Legend
Legend
V
The thing is that no one was making a big deal out of it. I mentioned it once when it first happened. Pit mentioned it and then eotab went psycho on him and Haus tried to make it into something it wasn't. Now you and CHS are upset because some of us had an opinion on it. The same opinion that other NFL players have on such talk.

Like I said before, this will go away in an instant if you stop. I won't bring it up again if you won't, but I am not going to sit here and allow you to manipulate the situation. Your call.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Too funny. You're the one who made an issue out of this. I heard the comments from Baker and I'm not the one who posted about it. But I come here and everyone is discussing Baker talking about Dukes money. So I asked what I missed. You proceed to tell me you made that up, but I'm the one playing games. Lol.

I comment on the situation and you tell me I'm making a big deal about this. Lol. Hysterical. Your disdain for Baker never ceases to amaze me. I should have known this would escalate into something like this.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
For the record I never said whether I felt he should or should not have said what he said. But it most certainly is blown out of proportion.

V
Legend
Legend
V
You win, device. I was making a huge deal out of this and was also picking on you and CHS. I'm very sorry.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
There's nothing really to win or lose here. If your apology was sincere, I appreciate it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
It wasn't. But, I'm done w/your garbage.

R
Legend
Legend
R
For the record I never said whether I felt he should or should not have said what he said. But it most certainly is blown out of proportion.

I find myself agreeing with you way more than not. But in this case I don't. It's not about Duke's money. It's about Baker's leadership. What he said was an example of poor leadership, particularly on a matter that doesn't concern him.

You may or may not agree with that, but alot of people are discounting it by saying things like "he can say what he wants, he's the leader of the team" or "it's being blown out of proportion". Those are comments that excuse the behavior.

In a black and white sense, it was poor leadership. Doesn't make Baker a poor leader, bad teammate, or a jerk. But it was poor leadership all the same. Hopefully we don't hear too much stuff like that anymore.

cfrs15 #1630966 06/08/19 10:10 PM
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I don't see how this has got twisted to be about Duke's money. He made a comment about wanting to still be traded, and someone asked Baker about it. Baker's response was pretty much, you either want to be here or not.

To me it is consistent with what Freddie said about McCoy choosing Carolina. Either you are all in or not. What I got from Baker's quote, was pretty much in the same light. Duke is stating that he wants to be traded, that, to me says that his heart is not all in. To me, I think that is what Baker was alluding to. I don't see how this became about Baker commenting or referring to Duke's money. Duke has a decent contract, I would expect that if traded that won't change, it also could improve.

IMO, Baker didn't cross any lines, he was stating the reality of the situation. Seeing this whole situation is about a player who feels unwanted, and feels he would be happier elsewhere, I understand Baker's reaction to the question. Remember, he was not the one bringing it up, it was the press.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
cfrs15 #1630971 06/08/19 11:00 PM
V
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
V
My personal opinion. I have no problem with what Baker said. If Duke doesn't express his wish to be traded in the media ( I don't recall the Browns announcing to the media that Duke was on the trading block a few months ago)and kept things private then it may have stayed a private matter. Seems I heard Duke telling the media he wanted out before I heard Bakers comments on the matter.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
So you take back the apology you owe me and further insult me. Brilliant.

cfrs15 #1630996 06/09/19 04:50 AM
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C

I'm confused as to why the Duke Johnson saga is being treated as a big deal.

Johnson is talented, but the Browns have upgraded him with the additions of Chubb and Hunt. Johnson is too talented to be a 3rd string option, and he's become further expendable with the apparent rise of Hilliard in to the favour of the coaching staff.

From my perspective, the Browns haven't done anything wrong. They've added two running backs who are more complete talents than Johnson, and thus have looked in to their options regarding a potential trade.

As I briefly glossed over regarding Johnson, he's too talented to be a 3rd string running back. He's on a decent contract, but like most athletes, he is a competitor who wants playing time. I don't blame him for feeling overlooked. I also don't blame him for feeling somewhat betrayed. He was drafted to Cleveland, he re-signed with Cleveland, he's been in Cleveland for coming on five years. I don't blame a guy for feeling disgruntled.

From my perspective, Duke hasn't done anything wrong. He's been open about his feelings and his desire to part ways. I find the honesty refreshing.

So, ultimately, I feel like nobody has done anything wrong. The Browns are right to upgrade when possible and move on when most beneficial to the team. Duke is right to want to play and request a trade.

As for Mayfield, that's who he is, and I'll bet his team mates love him for it. I expect nothing but professionalism from him around Duke.

Overall, I don't see this as a big deal. It happens, and I don't think anyone is handling it inappropriately.

V
Legend
Legend
V
This is my last post on this topic. Baker did cross the line. Sure, he was asked the question by the press. However, countless players are asked similar questions. I gave examples of their generic replies in a previous post. Talking to Duke man-to-man is one thing, but no need to throw him under the bus in the media. Baker does not work for management. I've heard former NFL players and coaches say the same things I am and they have a lot more insight into situations like these than any of us do.

cfrs15 #1631000 06/09/19 06:46 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think Baker was commenting on Dukes money at all. He was simply saying he wants people to be on the train. Baker has no control over if Duke gets traded or cut.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
BDU #1631012 06/09/19 08:44 AM
D
Legend
Legend
D
I’m with u man ... pretty much in every aspect ....

- We had a chance to improve and we did just like were suppose too and it made Duke the odd man out after week 8 ...

- Duke wants touches and quite frankly I wouldn’t want him if he didn’t and wasn’t bummed and upset that he went to having a much smaller role than when he was #2 on the list ...

Everyone’s staying in their lanes ... who do anything wrong here? ...

I wish Duke would have just kept his mouth shut and didn’t say he wants a trade again .... but its no biggie as pretty much every other player in the NFL would feel that way and everyone knows it ...

I also agree with Vers that Bake shouldn’t have said what he did ... it was wrong IMO ... i also agree with U that its no big deal what so ever .... i’m Sure Bake and Duke talked about it and are well over it .... its just like i feel about OBJ and the voluntary stuff ... he should have been there IMO but its absolutely no big deal and won’t matter in the least come September ...

And IMO were handling this right with Duke ...

He has value to us for at least the first 8 weeks ... that value depends on how much we think of Hilliard ... the more we think of Hilliard reduces the asking price for Duke when the first big injury happens ...

Who did the cowboys get to give Zeke a break ... anyone know?

DiamDawg #1631015 06/09/19 10:23 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

I'm beginning to wonder how many people actually heard the questions and the answers and understood the setting and the context of the Q&A.

I'm sorry...but if you actually watched the exchange and came away with Baker "called out a teammate" or even remotely "messed with his $$$" you have an axe to grind that will get ground down to the nub over the next decade or so...because he is a FQB and will be a team captain here for a long time.

His answer was so much better than "no comment" or some flowery BS. He answered the questions very matter-of-fact(ly) and not with animus or spite. He has no issues with Duke.

Also, it remains unclear who was questioned first in the mini-camp time-frame. I initially thought Duke reiterated his stance again...then Baker was asked about it later. But from what I'm reading now, Baker was asked FIRST about Duke's trade demands from earlier this year...then later...the microphone went to Duke to get his take.

It's an 18 second clip...here's a link in case you haven't seen it yet:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker...n-or-youre-not/

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Since I have now over-dosed on Duke coverage around the interwebs, that has put a new question(s) in my head.

I think Hilliard sticks (whether we keep Duke or not after TC) because we will always wonder if Duke will be gone at the deadline. That is an insurance policy for trading Duke...but maybe at the expense of another insurance policy of having a (bigger) back directly behind Chubb if we only keep (3) RBs. Whether we keep Duke after camp - or not - who would be Chubb's backup? Hunt is the answer...but not until sometime after week 8/9.

So my question starts to become whether Duke and/or Hilliard could handle the load if Chubb went down before Hunt was eligible. I think the answer is 'no'. That leads me to believe that the bigger question of TC will eventually be whether the Browns keep (4) RBs coming out of TC. I think they must keep (4) if Duke is not traded before the season. If Duke is traded before the season, they might roll with (3) RBs but that could be very risky in not having an experienced RB - regardless of skillset - behind Chubb.

So...will that (roster spots) be an additional factor in trading Duke before the season starts? If we start the season with (4) RB's and DON'T/CAN'T trade Duke when Hunt returns, we certainly won't roll with (5) RBs and someone/RB would have to go...maybe even (2) someones.

I'm really just now coming around to this new-and-improved dilemma...adding to my new expectation that Duke gets traded before the season starts more-so due to roster constraints (coupled with trade demands) and less-so due to trade-demands coupled with an eventual Hunt return.

If D'EArnest or Trayone don't emerge from TC as a bigger backup to Chubb, I can see us trading Duke and picking up a bigger vet as insurance against Chubb going down pre-Hunt...and starting the season with Chubb-vet-Hilliard (and a guy(s) on the PS). Hunt's versatility would not make the bigger-vet-RB redundant, but his versatility absolutely makes Duke PLUS Hilliard redundant.

That makes my head hurt a little bit.

cfrs15 #1631035 06/09/19 12:32 PM
All Pro
All Pro
I guess I'm somewhere in between on this. I always took it that Baker was frustrated that Duke was requesting the trade instead of wanting to stay here and try to win.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/baker...n-or-youre-not/

"You're either on this train or you're not," Mayfield said, per Cleveland.com's Mary Kay Cabot.

When he was asked if the situation has led to any form of awkwardness, Mayfield shook his head and said, "It's self-inflicted. It is what it is. It's not awkward for anyone else in this building."

He was then asked if he supported Johnson as a teammate. Mayfield responded, "He's gotta do his job. He said he's a professional. I hope he does his job."

Seeing as how Duke is already under contract for 3 more years and will be turning 29 the following year, I don't see what the money talk is.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I'll have to do more research on D'Ernest and Trayone. It didn't occur to me, until you mentioned it, that we might be looking for a temporary, bigger back as a speller for Chubb until Hunt returns.

On hit away, right?

For some reason, I don't think we'll do it. I don't know why. All reports are that Hilliard is doing very well, and we might value a pass catching (outlet) type as a back-up rather than a workhorse. We are going be to passing ALOT (I think).

Another aspect is all of our backs' blocking ability.

Something will shake loose in July/August.

RedBaron #1631054 06/09/19 01:43 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
...I always took it that Baker was frustrated that Duke was requesting the trade instead of wanting to stay here and try to win...

I would be frustrated too if I were the QB and a leader of the team. However, I just want to re-iterate that Baker's comments were all in response to a question. He wasn't just talking about Duke to be talking about Duke. He is simply answering questions.

eotab #1631059 06/09/19 02:00 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
You still didn't state what Baker said and what was so wrong about it...other than he is just over his rookie season.

It's been posted. It's not my fault you don't read the threads. But since that's beyond you.....

“It’s not awkward. It’s self-inflicted. I hope he does his job.”

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that this is actually HIS TEAM! He is actually a big leader. A veteran like OBJ thinks so why can't a fan. I know you still view him as the kid who grabbed his junk which is a couples years away now. Or of a kid running away from the police with obviously his decision processing impaired.

And he's still a kid. I notice you didn't address that players don't ditch other players or comment about things that are considered between the FO and their team mates unless and until it becomes a long standing major issue like the Le'Veon Bell issue in Pittsburgh eventually became. But that's okay, keep making excuses.

Quote:
Outside of the MEDIA crapola he actually, again by his teammates was regarded as one of the best leaders in college football.

Why are you continuing this stupidity? I like Baker. Every human makes mistakes and says things they had no business saying. I mean you're doing it right now and you're certainly not a kid anymore.

Quote:
Stop with this bs...I know you are but what am I...you did it first. nanner grow up.

If I speak its an automatic insult in your regards. So just put me on ignore please...and thanks in advance.

People can read tab. I'm not going to sit here and east your BS. So practice what you preach.

He did say something stupid. It's no big deal. I said it wasn't a big deal to begin with but you just can't help yourself. What part of "It's not a big deal" can't you grasp?

I know you see him as the second coming of Christ, but he's not. He's human just like the rest of us. Humans sometimes make mistakes. Baker makes them too. At some point you're going to have to come to grips with it.

Move on little man.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
So you take back the apology you owe me and further insult me. Brilliant.

rofl

Everyone who has commented about it in a way "you and tab" don't approve of, has said it's really not that big of a deal. But a couple of you make it out to be just that.

It was just a dumb thing for him to have said. But he's a kid and kids say dumb things sometimes. Hopefully he learns from it and stops commenting about issues between his team mates and the FO.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1631088 06/09/19 03:45 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't know what you're talking about. I'm guessing you don't either. You're just getting your dig in.

I don't care that he said what he said. I'm not going to say it was right or wrong. I'll leave that for those of you who are searching for anything negative to pin on this kid.

The ones who are making a big deal about it are all the ones who are saying he shouldn't have said it. I would have never said a word about this except for those who made up some bs about Baker making it about Duke's "money."

I'll await your final words...

P
Legend
Legend
P
Your comprehension is lacking. Nobody said it was a big deal. Even those who view it as something he shouldn't have said have made it clear it really isn't a big deal. But you don't actually care what anyone else said.

You'd rather lie about what they said.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1631131 06/09/19 04:49 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Talk about a Tempest in a Teapot .. Why is everyone getting so bent out of shape about a 3rd - 4th string RB wanting to be traded. I'm sure that every 3rd - 4th string RB on every team in the NFL wants to go somewhere that they think they will get more touches. It is the nature of the beast. I'm pretty sure that if Duke were with Green Bay, and someone asked Rogers if there were any awkwardness about the 3rd string RB wanting to be traded, his reaction would have been similar .. It is what he wants. Not my problem. You are with us or you are not.

It is true.. You are involved with the team .. Get on board. This train is leaving the station. You are paid play. You are expected to play your role and do your best.

End of Story

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
P
Legend
Legend
P
I wonder if he would blame the situation on his team mate?

#gmstrong
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Duke Johnson

Link Copied to Clipboard