Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#1632431 06/13/19 08:00 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Well, let the spin and character attacks begin yet again.

Quote:

Report: Browns veterans spoke to Baker Mayfield after comments about Duke Johnson

Yahoo Sports Shalise Manza Young,Yahoo Sports 1 hour 56 minutes ago

When Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield made comments critical of teammate Duke Johnson last week during the team’s minicamp, it was easy to wonder how his words would go over with veterans on the roster.

We have an answer.
‘It’s self-inflicted’

Last week, Mayfield was asked about Johnson, who has requested a trade. Johnson says the Browns tried to trade him earlier this year, and that combined with the team’s signing of Kareem Hunt and drafting of Nick Chubb in 2018 have led him to want a change of situation.

Cleveland Browns veterans were reportedly upset with recent comments quarterback Baker Mayfield, center, made about running back Duke Johnson. (AP)

He sees the writing on the wall: he won’t get many touches, if any, once Hunt’s suspension ends.

Johnson was present for minicamp, and Mayfield was asked if it’s an awkward situation.

“It's not awkward. No. It's self-inflicted,” Mayfield said with a shrug. “It is what it is. That's not awkward for anybody else in this building.”

The follow-up question was, how do you support him as a teammate while he’s here?

“He's got to do his job. He said he's a professional, I hope he does his job,” Mayfield said.
Voiced their displeasure

Mike Silver of NFL Network reported on Thursday that several players approached Mayfield after his comments.

“It is rather striking for a player to get involved in a teammate's business in anything but a supportive role,” Silver said on the network. “Baker Mayfield is the clear leader of that [locker room] but I'm told by multiple sources that several veterans came up to him in the locker room after those comments about Duke Johnson and let's say voiced their displeasure, saying, ‘Listen it's one thing to be the leader but this is a guy who is going through something, it's business and we need to support him.’

“Baker may not have agreed with them, but he heard them.”

One of the Browns who approached Mayfield may have been receiver Jarvis Landry, who was supportive of Johnson.

“I still have a relationship with Duke,” he said. “I'm happy that he's here, it's good to see him, but outside of that, I hope it works out for us as the Browns and for him if that's the way that it goes. He's a tremendous talent and he's capable of making plays. I have no other say about what happens.”

His teammates weren’t the only ones to notice either. Hip-hop legend Luther Campbell, who is married to Johnson’s agent, Kristin Campbell, tweeted to Mayfield as well.

Luther Campbell told Mayfield that quarterbacks Brett Favre, Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Dan Marino were all traded or “told to go home.”

“Don’t ever turn on your teammates for management you are not exempt,” he wrote.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-brow...-215728368.html

C
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
C
Why are others opinions "spin"?

Baker overstepped his bounds, IN MY OPINION. Duke has been here several years and has been a very good player. Even if he is being a little defiant, he has still earned respect in the locker room.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Michael Silver seems to know a lot of inside stuff. I thought we fired Hue?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Silver was a highly respected journalist w/a ton of sources long before the Hue thing became an issue. He used to be quoted a lot on here by certain folks. Those same folks turned on him because of Hue.

Of course, I'm fairly certain that Silver being the reporter will be part of the "spin."

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If so it's good to see a strong veteran presence in leadership. He's a leader but everyone can use a copilot now and then.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I know who Silver is and I know he has a history of being credible.

And btw I'm glad the vets talked to Baker, straightened him out a little, I hope. I agree with you and others: he should have responded to reporters with a 'that's between Duke and the front office. No comment'.

But Duke also had a role in this, he shouldn't have fed the media machine, either.

gmstrong

-----------------

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I agree w/all of that.

E
Legend
Legend
E
This is why I said Baker needs to shut his face about his teammates. Its only going to divide the team.

Do not throw your teammates under the bus. Thats not cool.

No Craps Given
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
This is why I said Baker needs to shut his face about his teammates. Its only going to divide the team.

Do not throw your teammates under the bus. Thats not cool.

Agree.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Quote:

Who are you going after this time? laugh

If this happened, I'm glad that the vets feel that Baker's approachable. He's young and he's going to make mistakes. I hope Silver's hunch is right and one of them was Jarvis.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Lol. I don't want to take too much Baker out of Baker, because his swagger was sorely needed. Not to mention his talent, obviously.

But I hope he isn't too stubborn, and knows that he can screw up and if enough veterans call him on it, he can sit and think he could have chosen a wiser approach.

gmstrong

-----------------

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C
On my job sometimes co-workers have disagreements. Sometimes certain people will try to make themselves look good at your expense in front of a boss. People still come in every day and get things done. These problems can be worked out or at least gotten under control with the help of other neutral parties. Occasionally it's done by the people involved going behind closed doors and working it out themselves. People still come in and do their jobs. I expect something like that to happen in Cleveland.

There are going to be other conflicts along the way. Especially with a higher media profile and people poised for this team to fail. Some conflicts will be way more significant than this one. This is melodrama.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
That's the key, lamp. Can he learn from it? If so....great!

If not, things will continue to happen.

One of my biggest concerns w/him has always been if he understands right from wrong? The fact that his daddy got involved w/Texas Tech's coaches is really weird. My dad knew not to intervene w/coaches/teachers when I was a little bitty kid. I knew the same thing w/my kids. I've seen some parents become a pain in the butt w/kids as old as high school students. Getting involved w/college coaches is just weird. That isn't the example I would set for my son. Think about what he is learning?

Entitlement and a mind set of doing and saying whatever he wants. That's different than speaking your mind.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
i guess Duke and Baker going to Dave and Busters is out of the question now.

L
Legend
Legend
L
This thread is turning into a crap-show.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
This thread is turning into a crap-show.

When this is the very first sentence in a thread...

Quote:

... one would have to be delusional to expect it to turn out any other way.

yebat' Putin
B
Legend
Legend
B
Self inflicted

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
What's delusional is for one not to know how they will turn out after seeing it happen over and over and over.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
In the Duke thread, I said that I hoped Freddie, Dorsey, or some vets would sit down w/Baker and tell him to keep the team things "internal." I received this response:

Quote:
Baker did not say a single word about Duke's contract or playing time status when he answered questions asked of him as a leader of the team. You keep bringing that up and applying it to Baker as if it applies in this instance.

Judging how Baker's comments completely dovetail with those of Freddie, I'd say they've already sat down and discussed how to respond to questions about Duke...and Baker followed the rallying cry.

Some people on here simply don't like Baker and whiffed on their evaluation of him. They trump up this stuff to make themselves feel better about being so incredibly wrong in their analysis of a player. Can't slam the on-filed talent? No worries...make up crap about his off-field stuff to salve the wound.

It appears that some of the vets did indeed sit down w/Baker and to keep "business" matters out of the press.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
In the Duke thread, I said that I hoped Freddie, Dorsey, or some vets would sit down w/Baker and tell him to keep the team things "internal." I received this response:

Quote:
Baker did not say a single word about Duke's contract or playing time status when he answered questions asked of him as a leader of the team. You keep bringing that up and applying it to Baker as if it applies in this instance.

Judging how Baker's comments completely dovetail with those of Freddie, I'd say they've already sat down and discussed how to respond to questions about Duke...and Baker followed the rallying cry.

Some people on here simply don't like Baker and whiffed on their evaluation of him. They trump up this stuff to make themselves feel better about being so incredibly wrong in their analysis of a player. Can't slam the on-filed talent? No worries...make up crap about his off-field stuff to salve the wound.

It appears that some of the vets did indeed sit down w/Baker and to keep "business" matters out of the press.

Every paragraph above remains true to this day...thanks for re-posting...you should read it again.

Legend
Legend
This seems a very fair summary for all concerned. Duke wanted the attention and got it. His wish will probably come true. You put vets on the team for leadership and positive direction. Looks like that happened. BM stepped wrong, and it was called into question.

We can talk to each other. It probably won't help DJ's long-term situation. But we do see some guidance for anybody here. Good for Lampdogg.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Quote:
The thing is that no one was making a big deal out of it. I mentioned it once when it first happened. Pit mentioned it and then eotab went psycho on him and Haus tried to make it into something it wasn't. Now you and CHS are upset because some of us had an opinion on it. The same opinion that other NFL players have on such talk.

Like I said before, this will go away in an instant if you stop. I won't bring it up again if you won't, but I am not going to sit here and allow you to manipulate the situation. Your call.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Hue's buddy getting the scoop on the Browns breaking apart and their losing confidence in their young QB...So generic...no names all anonymous? pfft...otay

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
What Baker said was his opinion.. I don't mind him having that opinion (I happen to think he's wrong)but I thought it was in poor form to state it publicly. That should have been handled "in house"

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It is very possible this did happen. Some vets that remain loved Hue and have ties to Silver.

Its also very possible he made the whole damn thing up,since he didnt provide a single quote.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I wonder since Baker broke the rookie record
for TD passes if hes not a bit full of himself now?
some guys achieve a bit and they think they can
sound off on anything.
maybe hes trying too hard to be "Baker Mayfield"
here Mayfield heres 2 numbers for you

20 and 19.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
I wonder since Baker broke the rookie record
for TD passes if hes not a bit full of himself now?
some guys achieve a bit and they think they can
sound off on anything.
maybe hes trying too hard to be "Baker Mayfield"
here Mayfield heres 2 numbers for you

20 and 19.

Baker strikes me as the ultimate competitor. He was like that in college from what I can tell and it seems as if nothing changed. With that competitive attitude comes a degree of a lack of humility. At least I think so.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I'm so looking forward to the season starting so everybody can talk about the games thumbsup

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: jfanent
Quote:

Who are you going after this time? laugh

If this happened, I'm glad that the vets feel that Baker's approachable. He's young and he's going to make mistakes. I hope Silver's hunch is right and one of them was Jarvis.

That's a good way to look at it.

Just another step in the development of the new Browns.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Which is what most sane people think as well.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
I'm so looking forward to the season starting so everybody can talk about the games thumbsup

thumbsup

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Jarvis Landry actually goes on record saying it's a non issue and Mike Silver comes out with unnamed sources.

Mike Silver is still grinding that axe since Hue was canned and Mayfield made his comments towards Hue.

This story has become as boring as the OBJ missing voluntary workouts saga.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Like I've said from the beginning, sometimes young people say silly things. They sometimes say things they really shouldn't. It's just part of the process of growing up.

I'm glad the veterans spoke to him about it. It was never really a big deal from the beginning. But it's something you wouldn't want to become a pattern moving forward.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
Growing pains. The sporting press needs to make it into something though because they need to write about something. Mayfield did step into it and all that but it's probably not the huge deal some people would make it.

I hope Duke gets traded off to a team that needs and wants him. I hope the Browns get good value from that trade. No reason why everyone can't come away from this mess with something good. I don't see how he's on the Browns' roster for the final cut-down. Hopefully management will step up and show the players they'll do right by them.

"Let people think this is a dumpster fire," - Mike Pettine
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think if you're going to announce that you only want players who want to be here, you either need to back that up with actions or quit saying things like that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cle23
Why are others opinions "spin"?

Baker overstepped his bounds, IN MY OPINION. Duke has been here several years and has been a very good player. Even if he is being a little defiant, he has still earned respect in the locker room.

Baker is the leader of this team. Duke should shut up and get ready for the season. We are paying him a LOT of MONEY. This is PRO football. So he should act like a pro and stop the whining. It's not like he's Emmitt Smith. He is a serviceable running back. He's not a 25 carry a game back. Frankly, I was surprised when the Browns gave him that deal.

The Vets need to back their QB and IF he needs "talking to" they need to keep that in house, not in the media. Now you have these vets and Duke against the QB. Maybe they want to be traded too...

I used to like Duke. He is a decent player. But now? He's just a whiny child that thinks football is all about HIM and not about the TEAM. We won some games last year and the future looks bright for a change here in Cleveland and he wants out... Why? Because of his PERSONAL stats. So now we know for a FACT that he doesn't care about winning or his team or the fans here in Cleveland. He cares about himself. Period.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Vets Talk to Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard