Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
I personally don't have any "real issues" with what Baker said.

Let's remember that "loyalty" is extremely high on the list of virtues that Baker values. Duke spoke to the reporters first and in front of Baker. And the whole interview pushed a narrative that he did not want to be a part of this team. We should also remember, this was also BEFORE the practice, where Duke could prove his professionalism...to that point of the offseason...Duke's actions spoke a different tune.

I don't mind the "self inflicted" comment. I actually really liked the "train" comment. If I were to nitpick. I would have preferred Baker to say that "he knows" Duke will be professional as opposed to "hoping" that Duke will be professional. And I think after the practice, he probably would have something closer to that. The difference of course is that he is taking a higher road and showing a loyalty to his teammate and that could in turn put the focus on Duke rather than him. It also allows time for Duke to prove his professionalism.

I do think this is being blown out of proportion and the fact about the "older players" coming to talk to Baker was started by Silver. While absolutely not out of the realm of possibility that this actually happened, Silver's reputation does cast doubt on the validity on not only the severity of those talks as well as if the talks actually happened. As Verse said it is reasonable to assume this happened...But Silver's reputation forces us to consider whether Silver is running with an assumption or whether some teammates did approach Baker.

For me the players "confronting" Baker is a non-issue as well. Because reports after by other players show no sort of dissention in the locker room. For me the story is done.

I am not so sure Baker is a "jerk". He is brash, opinionated, and not afraid to express his opinion. But he is also truthful in what he says. And what I mean by that is that he believes what he says and he does not shy away from telling something even if it has a negative light. He is that friend we all have that cuts through our personal BS and tells us what we "need" to hear as opposed to what we "want" to hear. This situation with Duke...and my nitpick...I think he feels that he would be lying in a sense if he were to take the diplomatic or PC road by saying he "knows" as opposed to he "hopes". And so by saying he "hopes" he is being "truthful" which I think is another virtue Baker holds high.

Someone who holds loyalty and truthfulness high on their list of values can't be all bad...lol

Whether he is wrong or right...To me...it is refreshing to have someone like that. Mayfield may very well be a jerk. I haven't seen much indication in his outside life to support that notion. I see a young kid who is very mature in his work ethic but is still young in other emotional areas. Part of that is why we love him so much. Seeing his exuberance in games. His little drum solo to Phil Collins, his celebrations and excitement on the field...If he had a typical "rookie" season, we probably would still gravitate to him quite a bit. It is a great thing for us that his play has been atypical of rookies and it gives us hope as well.

But you know part of me also has such a distrust of journalists these days...I am more willing to accept a more positive narrative/spin from a player or interviewee.

JMHO

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
We have different opinions on Baker. I'm not going to get on you because your opinions are different than mine.

Moving on.......while I don't like Baker as a person and I see a pattern of problems that I think will continue, I will still root for him on game days because I want the Browns to win. A lot of us don't like Jimmy Haslam, but that doesn't mean we still don't root for the Browns. I feel the same way about Baker.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I'm wondering if you read his comments about his time at Texas Tech? I see no sense of loyalty in those comments. Hell, he trashed the coaching staff.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Baker was asked about Duke and in my opinion aired things that he shouldn't have - but it's a storm in a tea cup and no big deal. He's still basically on a clean slate as far as I am concerned. Can't wait to see him in his second season.

The vets on team schooled Baker about some of the lines that should not be crossed.

...end of story!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I'm wondering if you read his comments about his time at Texas Tech? I see no sense of loyalty in those comments. Hell, he trashed the coaching staff.
Yes he did...AFTER he felt disrespected by those coaches and his loyalty was not returned. And he was younger still. Much has happened since then. Again...wrong or right...to me it is a little refreshing.

Me personally, I don't like to burn bridges...Baker is not afraid to do that. He is the type that looks ever forward...And while I would prefer he be a little more diplomatic at times...I am not sure I would force that upon him as it takes away from who he is...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Okay. We disagree, but that's fine.

Legend
Legend
I agree. And remember the WARS we had on here over Josh Gordon?

At least he was a WR... I remember wars over whether Phil Dawson (the kicker) or Josh Cribbs (kick returner) was our best player....

Now we are arguing about a silly comment that was dealt with immediately, which of two talented RBs is better, whether we have enough footballs to keep all the talent happy, which talented guy might be a cap casualty in a couple years, etc...

Yes, it's a brave new world.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
If this story were not true, please believe Baker would have called Silver out about it.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
E
Legend
Legend
E

First off props to you for remaining a Browns fan despite your dislikes of Baker and Haslam... rolleyes

Texas Tech??? How old was he???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk
If this story were not true, please believe Baker would have called Silver out about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if vets came to him about weighing in on other players' issues with the team. I also don't think it's that big of a deal. In some respects it's actually a good thing-- better that Baker be approachable and receptive than to have such a minor thing boil over into something bigger.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Haus

I wouldn't be surprised if vets came to him about weighing in on other players' issues with the team. I also don't think it's that big of a deal. In some respects it's actually a good thing-- better that Baker be approachable and receptive than to have such a minor thing boil over into something bigger.

You can assume that Baker is approachable and receptive, but we don't know that for sure.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I find it revealing that some are even acting like Baker [a rookie last year] being willing to be approached by veteran players is a redeeming quality.

I'm not knocking Baker here, but come on, he better damn well be approachable.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
He seemingly doesn't like a lot of people.

https://sports.yahoo.com/baker-mayfield-...-140318075.html

L
Legend
Legend
L
seems to me more like Baker is very protective of his team and teammates and is team first. I love that he calls people out. People are too sensitive nowadays.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
seems to me more like Baker is very protective of his team and teammates and is team first. I love that he calls people out. People are too sensitive nowadays.

I think there are two sides to the same coin - one, being a good team mate, being loyal, fighting and scrapping for anything that is related to your team (if you're not with us your against us). . . . . the other is if/when that attitude is so extreme or disruptive that it creates negative waves, impact, reaction from some parts of the team.

I think with Baker you potentially have some of that fiery, demonstrable emotion that OBJ has shown when things didn't go well for him in NY ... and the media, ever eager for controversy and to spin a story out of anything and everything ceases on that and makes them bigger than they are.

I think the best way to judge a players character, influence, benefit to the team (above and beyond his actual ability on the field) is to see how and what his team mates say about him. OBJ was universally respected and his teammates had his back when his coach spun unfavorable statements about him .... Baker is in that same mold, his teammates want to go to battle for him, they have his back, they love playing for and with him...... that says it all to me. I could care less what he says about HS rivals and what has been aired about his college days where there was undoubtedly bad feelings towards coaches who let him down.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't know why but it doesn't matter to me if the, if some player is a total bad thing of a personality, because I'm not trying to move in with him, or any of my family isn't, and we're not moving in Next to him either.
For me I care a great bit more about how he does during the game to get the win and not play bad with a bunch of negative plays, and of course, no things that make me think he was losing on purpose.

If one of them turns into a criminal or a real scum type of criminal, I'm not close enough to the team to really care more than what the law will do to stop them;
Usually.
I'm not that close that I would have to hang out with the team.
Now, Murderers, I just don't know how they are allowed to play football.

I hope Baker wins more than 50% this year and sticks around enough years to reach event horizon.

Event Horizon being when Baker overtakes Big Ben as the winningest QB in the Browns stadium since it opened in 1999.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Event Horizon being when Baker overtakes Big Ben as the winningest QB in the Browns stadium since it opened in 1999.

Gad, that was a difficult sentence to digest.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

Bakers' personality contains some confrontational tendencies. That alone isn't a bad thing. It's only a problem if it prevents him from getting things done professionally or personally. With time he'll learn when and how much of it to use. Last year, before being named the starter he said and did all the right things. I don't get the sense that it is an overwhelming part of his make up though.

Aaron Rogers isn't a universally loved guy either.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think Baker has established a pattern over the course of time of saying and doing some things he should not. I think establishing behavioral patterns are useful in predicting future outcomes.

I think he runs his mouth a lot and one day I expect someone to try and shut it. Then, holy hell will break out because many won't have seen it coming.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't share your point of view. I also don't tell fortunes so I'm OK with waiting to see.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I haven't asked ANYONE to share my point of view. I am simply expressing my point of view.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I get that. I'm doing the same. I respect your right to say what you want.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
We're good. I have zero problem w/you disagreeing w/me.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Why is he a trash-talking a kid still in college?

He's a Heisman Trophy winner going into his second NFL season, so by now that college, high school rah-rah BS should be behind him.

I love that he's our quarterback, but why doesn't he dial down the self-absorbed BS mouth-running? I get that the competitiveness fuels his fire. I simply hope he learns some tact, gains some maturity.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
Why is he a trash-talking a kid still in college?

Yea, some of the quotes from the article Vers shared is a little much. Take it easy man.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc....

Everyone is entitled to be "wrong"..especially when posting personal opinions.

JMHO..Baker is what he is and I accept him "as is". Probably the best QB the Browns have since Kosar, in his prime.

Now, if that is not good enough for some, I'm wondering what some Browns fans want?

Baker is 24 years old and worked his tail off to get where he is today.

Baker is outspoken and unafraid of giving his opinion..and there is not a thing wrong with that either. He is not perfect..NO ONE IS!

...but he is the best QB the Browns have.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1634370 06/22/19 04:59 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree.

Some people are blowing hot, stinky air out their butt to support their stated position.

They can fart all they want. I just "pass" it back at 'em

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
One isn't necessarily blowing hot, stinky air, if they are discussing the behaviour of our QB.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Some are resorting to the time-honored practice of insulting the opinions of others who disagree w/them. See the posts right above yours.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Why is anyone surprised by differences of opinion- we, humans, Americans are all together politically, socially, mentally- real issues like capital punishment, abortion, education, religion- we're together on all of those. I wish Baker would mature- hopefully he has time. Go Browns!!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
You really need to change your sig. It doesn't fit your mindset any longer.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
hitt, I don't think people are surprised by the differences of opinion. It's just that some need to shout down those who disagree w/them.

Look at peen's post. He's talking about people talking out their butt or something like that, when in fact, I posted articles that contained quotes from Baker. I didn't make the quotes up. Baker said them. Yet, he and others act like people are making things up.

With that said, I have no problem w/those who disagree w/my takes on Baker. Guys like Pete, Cap, and guard have disagreed w/me and it's all good. They didn't resort to insults to try and win the argument. They just stated their case. I think honest debate is good.

M
Legend
Legend
M
You really need to change your sig. It doesn't fit your mindset any longer.

Coming from the guy against personal attacks. rofl

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I knew you couldn't resist. LOL

E
Legend
Legend
E
All I know is his team mates LOVE HIM like no other QB. The reason that happens is that he is GENUINE in his love for them. Most important is to remember how Hue was sold on Baker when he saw this genuine love for each other that he had never seen before. When Baker walked into the gym, everyone lit up and were attentive.

Dorsey already was sold on him but that is what sold Hue on him.

I think its ironic that the character assassination made by some individuals..Posters and Journalists alike is the farthest thing what he brings. He is a great great Leader and that is so important. Its not a negative as some will wish to display it as but a positive trait that he possesses!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Just a question,, are we sure that some Vets spoke to Baker about this?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
Haven't heard an actual quote yet.

Only OBJ mentioned that he loves Baker and will back him no matter what. saywhat

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

That's my question. I hate when "journalist" make statements but don't use quotes from actual people. Anonymous sources is all you get anymore, and with all the crap spewed on twitter, you never know what is real and what is made up, or hearsay.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

That's my question. I hate when "journalist" make statements but don't use quotes from actual people. Anonymous sources is all you get anymore, and with all the crap spewed on twitter, you never know what is real and what is made up, or hearsay.

While I understand and don't totally disagree with you, so many at the same time say such issues between teammates should be kept in private and such quotes should never be released to the press.

You can't really have it both ways. I'm glad these comments were kept confidential rather than end up with an even further elevation of the issue. It would have been even better if this entire issue had been kept behind closed doors.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
For all we know, they spoke to him to give him a thumbs up

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Vets Talk to Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard