Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Link

Berea, Ohio (92.3 The Fan) – When the Cleveland Browns unveil their uniforms next year, the helmet will remain the same.

David Jenkins, Browns executive vice president and chief operating officer, confirmed that in an interview with Ken Carman and Anthony Lima on 92.3 The Fan Friday morning.

“The helmet will remain untouched,” Jenkins said. “Our fans want the helmets as they are.”

Jenkins declined to provide any details of what the new uniforms will look like other than to say they’ll be, “Brown, orange and white. Some combination of that.”

The team won’t change the facemask either and go through what they did in 2015 when they switched from a grey facemask to brown, forcing them to redo the team’s helmet branding.

The Browns view their helmet as iconic and the helmet logo will likely remain the primary mark for the team going forward following lengthy internal discussions about branding to accompany the new uniforms.

The one detail we know about the new uniforms is that the current ‘color rush’ uniforms are not going away next year multiple sources have told 92.3 The Fan.

In the spring the Browns submitted a request to the league office to be permitted to wear their popular ‘color rush’ uniforms between six and eight times this upcoming season but there is growing sentiment that the NFL will not grant their request.

The NFL has yet to comment on the Browns’ request for this story.

If you look closely at the team’s marketing materials this season, the color rush design is a primary theme and players wore the uniform for their official photo shoot earlier this offseason.

There are several factors in play.

Unlike the Los Angles Chargers, who received permission to wear their iconic powder blues as a primary uniform this season, the Browns’ ‘color rush’ uniforms don’t meet that standard. They are special promotional uniform introduced a few years ago as part of the NFL’s ‘color rush’ initiative introduced for all 32 teams.

Nike also has a say.

The NFL’s uniform provider has already produced significant stock of the current uniforms, including for Odell Beckham Jr., and the thinking by Nike is simple, if the team isn’t wearing the regular uniforms that have been produced for retail, the existing stock won’t sell.

LeBron James faced a similar problem with Nike in his attempt to give Anthony Davis his No. 23 jersey, which is on hold for a year.

The uniform schedules for every team are finalized by the end of July.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Without knowing too much about the finished product, this news is about as good as we could've hoped for so far (imo).

Legend
Legend
I’m good with this. I’d be good with shifting back to our “old” uniforms ... though, I’m okay with slight modernization too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I want the team moving forward with the new unis ...... not returning to the 60's. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
boo thumbsdown

The helmets suck. Bad move.

And it's nice to see the Evil Empire that is Nike making decisions for football teams. thumbsdown boo

Legend
Legend
Eh, I didn’t really mean the 60s haha ... but I never mind any ones we’ve worn (besides the current ones)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Win some games in spite of this nonsense. Leaving the helmet alone is a great start. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
boo thumbsdown

And it's nice to see the Evil Empire that is Nike making decisions for football teams. thumbsdown boo

Well, if the military in the United States of America can do it Colin Kaep), why not Nike?

Ahem.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
boo thumbsdown

Well, if the military in the United States of America can do it Colin Kaep), why not Nike?

Ahem.

What are you talking about?

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think what I was talking about is rather obvious.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend

It really isn’t. The US Military has nothing to do with Kaep.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
I was only being facetious (sort of); wasn't there speculation that the Kaepernick black balling (allegedly) might have been partly due to the US military's financial endorsement of the NFL?

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I disagree, I am with Pdawg in not having a clue what that statement means.

You are either much smarter than us or you think like Throw Long shocked

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Jester

I disagree, I am with Pdawg in not having a clue what that statement means.

You are either much smarter than us or you think like Throw Long shocked

I don't think it's the former lol.

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I liked the white face masks better than the grey. It's been awhile since we had those.

I would be ok with some update to the helmet. A tweak. Not looking for a logo. I have seen some mock where the color is more metallic. I like some of those.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I like the white face masks as well .. not a fan of the gray or brown

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

I would be ok with some update to the helmet. A tweak.

Me too, get rid of that dull matte finish...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It took me years to start liking the current uniforms.

Why fix something that isn't broke?

I know, it is all about the Benjamin's...

T
Legend
Legend
T
Nike has influenced team deciisons in the uniforms.

The Military sponsorship has influenced team decisions in the high military presence on the sidelines in colorguards, airplane flyovers, and gigantic flags that sometimes cover the whole field, and parachuters,

also having the coaches and asistants wearing camoflauge mixed with team colors on the sidelines.

What it has to do with Kaepernicks protest beyond what he expressed his protest was about, is only concealed in his own mind.

It's not that hard people.

And thanks for the insults! Thumbsdown:

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Browns fans might see more of the Color Rush jerseys in 2019

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/07...ys-in-2019.html

BEREA, Ohio – We already know that the Browns plan to unveil new uniforms for the 2020 season. When Dee and Jimmy Haslam spoke with media on Sunday at Browns training camp, they didn’t shed much light on those plans.

“We talk all the time about how Cleveland has a certain way about them,” Dee Haslam said. “I think the uniform that we (have) in development will fit our team really well – just our look and our feel of who we are.”

Good luck extracting clues from that.

But there were a couple nuggets that might please Browns fans:

1. They don’t intend on changing the helmet.

“No. No. Never,” Dee Haslam said. “Absolutely never.”

2. The team wants to wear its Color Rush uniforms more this season.

The Browns have asked the NFL for permission to wear the popular Nike-designed jerseys multiple times in 2019. Dee Haslam said Sunday that the league has yet to approve the request.

“We are really excited,” Dee Haslam said. “Hopefully, that will work out. It is a pretty good uniform. I think the players would excited to wear it if it works out.”

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good. Best helmet in the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Worst helmet in the NFL? Jags IMO

Legend
Legend
Leaving the helmet alone is a great start. Not excited over uniforms. Haslams and marketing are. Our unit are fine. Not sure I trust the Haslam brain trust much for merchandise marketing. Some truly dumb Browns gear out there IMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Worst helmet in the NFL? Jags IMO

Buccaneers have always been the worst to me. Old design w/winking pirate, new design with skull flag...they both suck. Panthers and Jags follow. Far too much graphic...just keep it simple. Jags would be better with just spots (kinda like the Bengals stripes).

I love the simplicity of the Browns nod at the old leather helmet, but design graphic wise the best in my opinion is the Rams. It's simple, yet perfect and it also looks very cool (I also like the horns white rather than gold or yellow).

V
Legend
Legend
V
Everyone has different tastes and I don't like helmets such as the Jags, but to me, the Browns is by far the worst.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I just did a quick search and the Browns helmets were dead last. LOL

https://www.ranker.com/crowdranked-list/best-current-nfl-helmets

V
Legend
Legend
V
I hate the team's name, but I like Washington's helmet. The Raiders and Saints are both pretty nice. Atlanta's is nice. I hate the Cowboys, but that is a decent helmet. I like KC's, too.

I think Thee Ohio State Buckeyes have the world's greatest helmet.

Legend
Legend
I’ve always liked the Lions when they have the blue/silver from like the 90s ... like that combo

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Everyone has different tastes and I don't like helmets such as the Jags, but to me, the Browns is by far the worst.

Team bias aside, as a design the homage to the original leather helmet is genius, imo. Especially given their name. I have seen all the various designs from the decades ("B", "CB", Brownie, Mastiff/bulldog etc) and I am glad they just left it simple, traditional and harking back at the original old school leather helmet. I am also SO glad they didn't put the brown gradient splatter on the bottom third as some mock designs showed! You can imagine what our division rivals would have said about it.

What is your favorite Helmet design and graphic?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I hate the team's name, but I like Washington's helmet. The Raiders and Saints are both pretty nice. Atlanta's is nice. I hate the Cowboys, but that is a decent helmet. I like KC's, too.

I think Thee Ohio State Buckeyes have the world's greatest helmet.

I like that the Falcons also makes an "F" with its shape. And, I agree on the Saints Fleur de lis. Simple, yet perfect for NOLA.

Legend
Legend
I like Carolina’s color scheme, but their uniforms could be so much better IMO

P
Legend
Legend
P
Nobody gives a damn about tradition anymore.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
I'v always like the white helmets worn by Chargers, also they're blue jerseys.

gmstrong

-----------------

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Nobody gives a damn about tradition anymore.

Hipsters do. Old school traditional 78's and even 8 tracks are coming back into fashion. wink

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think 8 tracks might be taking things a bit too far. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I care about tradition and I’m not THAT old ... however, I also don’t mind a little modernization mixed in. I just don’t like our current jerseys. I think they’re very amateurish and cartoonish.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well the thing is what this all actually means. It really has nothing about changing the uniforms. The minimum time between changing uniforms for a team is five years. Next year will be the first year Haslam is eligible to change the uniforms since the last time he changed them.

So if you do like the new uniforms next year? Don't get attached to them. Because they'll be changing again in 2025.

Because this is about marketing, not the uniforms.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I care about tradition and I’m not THAT old ... however, I also don’t mind a little modernization mixed in. I just don’t like our current jerseys. I think they’re very amateurish and cartoonish.

I just invested over $800 in the current Browns jerseys!

Don't say that!...brownie

P
Legend
Legend
P
They change next year. That's already been announced.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ummmmm, yes..dahhhhhhhhhhhhh...I got that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Browns helmet, facemask to remain unchanged with new uniforms

Link Copied to Clipboard