I'll be watching the kickers...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Your sig asks a credible question. Our "history" is not allowed to count.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Good point about the TE ... it’s a spot we’ve sucked at for a while. We must be able to cover McDonald, Kittle, Eifert, Andrews, etc

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Kickers. That's what i'm most interested in.

The position is important. Hopefully someone will look good out there. Too many games are decided but a couple points. Having a reliable kicker is key

UCONN HUSKIES 2014 Champions of Basketball
Legend
Legend
I'll just be reveling in being able to watch football.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Overall discipline from a team that has been horrifically undisciplined for years. How does Freddie handle that or is it already buttoned up looking?

Scheme - We know Freddie mixed in a new wrinkle essentially every week last year. Is that only reserved for Season games or will he put something on film.

Defense - I'd imagine we will see a base 4-3, but Wilks has been a 3-4 guy of recent. Does he use Vernon and Garret whatsoever in coverage? I hope not, but maybe?

Greg Robinson, he has been getting abused by Myles Garret in practice from what I've seen. Does that make him a better player or ding his confidence?

Does Baker even play? I'd imagine yes installing a new system, but we shouldn't get used to it.

Rookies - as always, you'll know if they can play pretty quickly.

D
Legend
Legend
D
- greedy’s tackling ...
- taki taki
- Wilson
- Willies
- Hilliard
- DL 2nd and 3rd units
- rg’s

Bummer we can’t see them against better competition but we have to take what we can get ...

I gotta wait til friday to see it ... I have never looked forward to a pre-season game ... TIL NOW!!

This is gonna be fun dawgs!!!!!!!

Legend
Legend
I forgot that we’ll get to see Haskins and Colt McCoy as well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
1. Just being able to FINALLY see a glimmer of this Roster on the field.
2. Kickers and ST - this is a big concern for me. Put into perspective. two years ago Pitt K Boswell kicked like 4 game winners and they made the playoffs. Last year, he missed 3 or 4 that cost them those same types of games. It still blows my mind that Kickers are not paid more. Other that a QB, they have more impact on any game than any other person IMO.
3. OL - I have heard the line has been struggling in camp and getting blown up. Is that because our DL is so good, they stink, or a combo of both?

Legend
Legend
It just sounds like our RG situation has nobody claim it yet .. none of the 3 have played well enough, but Kush is on top I guess

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'll be paying extra attention to the young Linebackers.

TakiTaki, Wilson, Avery especially. Hoping one rises up to round out the D.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Just out of curiosity, I wonder what percentage of offensive sets will utilize FB Orson Charles during the regular season.

To be honest, I was just reminded of him by looking at this depth chart.

Legend
Legend
I think that’s Orson’s role ... IIRC when he went down last year our run game was not nearly as good

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I know this is a very general sort of statement but I want to see how these units all work together and what and who stands out both good and bad.

Look I think we will struggle with fit more then with individual performance. The thing that bit us last year will bite us this year early on. These units need to gel together and the new pieces need to fit together.

Time playing together is the critical element IMO, its what will hold us back at the beginning and send us over the top in the end. But guys that fit the scheme and execution is what I will focus on.

I also think the RG competition needs to come to a close after this 1st pre season game.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
Just out of curiosity, I wonder what percentage of offensive sets will utilize FB Orson Charles during the regular season.

To be honest, I was just reminded of him by looking at this depth chart.

Not nearly as many as sets that utilize 3+ receivers, that's for sure.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
That's sort of what I figured. Plus I assume we'll be using some multiple TE sets as well (to create receiving mismatches against opposing LBs and to give our Oline some help).

I also don't remember offhand if we used Charles as an outlet receiver at all last season.

Legend
Legend
Last year we seemed to go 2/3 TEs in key spots to protect Baker ... I could see that with OBJ and Landry at WR

Legend
Legend
Well, so much for everyone's thought that Kush was on top.... Corbett is the #1 RG.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Also, based on that depth chart, it looks like DeValve will be on the outside looking in this fall, although it's probably just his injured status putting him that low, but that is more and more common for him.

We should be looking for suitors to trade him.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Charles played in 13 games last season.

Rushing, in games 14-16, Chubb had 20/100, 19/112, and 9/24. Duke had 4/28, 2/12, and 4/21.

We pretty much abandoned the run due to being 2 scores+ down in that final game against the Ravens.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Lastly:

What the heck is a Lenzy Pipkins?? He's ahead of Gaines at CB.
I hope he makes the roster just for his name... that's a name right off of a 1890's roster.

Nice to see Dorian Baker working his way up.
Avery *is* listed at SAM as some had expected.

Everyone want something to be concerned about this season?
At Linebacker we have Kirksey & Schobert: behind them is nothing but rookies. THAT will be our Achilles in 2019.

Browns is the Browns

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Well, so much for everyone's thought that Kush was on top.... Corbett is the #1 RG.

I don’t think the depth chart means much.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think it means much in terms of who the starter will be at the beginning of the season. But it's certainly indicative of where things stand at this juncture.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What's a Lenzy Pipkins?

Legend
Legend
That's what I said!

Browns is the Browns

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Also, based on that depth chart, it looks like DeValve will be on the outside looking in this fall, although it's probably just his injured status putting him that low, but that is more and more common for him.

We should be looking for suitors to trade him.
I like Seth a lot, but I think its time we cut ties. If we can get some quality depth somewhere else for him, I am for it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Everyone want something to be concerned about this season?
At Linebacker we have Kirksey & Schobert: behind them is nothing but rookies. THAT will be our Achilles in 2019.

Maybe it will be a problem until Joe and Kirko are behind the rookies thumbsup

Only kind of kidding. Don't sell the young guys short. I'm more worried about the OL.

Re: the original post, I'm going to try just to take it all in and enjoy the game live.

I'll probably go back and focus on the defensive rookies on Game Pass. OL, too.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
J/c

I’be read a few places to watch for Pipkins as a sleeper. So i’ll Be watching for him Thursday

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc...

Oline and defense...the two areas I will be focused on.

...said another way, I'll focus on "blocking" and "tackling"...funny how football comes down to basics, isn't it...

Last edited by mac; 08/06/19 05:48 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I'll be watching the kickers...

I'm worried that I'll be wanting to cover my eyes when either one is on the field.

I might actually have to watch the holder/pre-kick process. I wonder if that has factored into the practice misses at all.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
haha, yep ... if we do both I think we’ll be good
Originally Posted By: mac
jc...

Oline and defense...the two areas I will be focused on.

...said another way, I'll focus on "blocking" and "tackling"...funny how football comes down to basics, isn't it...

E
Legend
Legend
E
They possibly are the steal of the draft especially "MACK" who I call "KING" for some reason...lol laugh

Always love those Alabama defensive players. Cannot get enough of them.

Kush looking to have the edge for RG will like to see how he plays vs. Washington.

I don't think Baker will play much If AT ALL.

Gilbert vs. Blough seems to be the battle!

After this week will it be full recovery for Seth Devalave...kid has to put up or shut up so to say. Love his talent but he has been injured so far the last two training camps. Time for him to come back and STAY HEALTHY

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
J/c

In terms of playing time, I’m fine with sitting ALL of the starters for the 1st and 4th games. Let them get some work in the scrimmage, let them play half of the game in the middle two preseason games

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted By: eotab
Well I don't expect to see too much of the starters...a series or two???

So in the reality of things I would like to see Willies and Strong at WR although they will be catching passes from Gilbert Assuming that Straton will not get the reps that normal #2 QBs get in the preseason.

That's Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman, and he's damn glad to meet ya.

sorry couldn't help myself....lol

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PETE314
Originally Posted By: eotab
Well I don't expect to see too much of the starters...a series or two???

So in the reality of things I would like to see Willies and Strong at WR although they will be catching passes from Gilbert Assuming that Straton will not get the reps that normal #2 QBs get in the preseason.

That's Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman, and he's damn glad to meet ya.

sorry couldn't help myself....lol

I get the funniest looks from people when I use this. It's good to be old smile

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Looks like most of the starters aren't going to play from the buzz I'm hearing on the Fan.

Legend
Legend
Good ... I wouldn’t play them yet either
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Looks like most of the starters aren't going to play from the buzz I'm hearing on the Fan.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Good. We have some battles for positions and positions on the team. Let them play.

Maybe give the starters a series, then go with the rest. Stanton is locked in as the $2 QB. Let him go the rest of the first and a little of the 2nd, then Gilbert and Blough for about 3/4 of the game.

Even when Stanton is in, maybe keep the first team Oline in there to give him protection as well because the Oline has some gelling to do.

I have a question....I know a few of our exhibition games are National. Who is broadcasting the game tomorrow night? I hope to be able to see it. I don't go to bars for night games.

Anybody know?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
Legend
D
No clue about tomorrow night ... its on nfl network friday at 4 PM i believe ... i’ll check in a bit ..

Can’t wait .... thumbsup

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 30 Redskins 10 Your Focus Against Washington

Link Copied to Clipboard