Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
#Browns Freddie Kitchens said rookie OL Drew Forbes flashed in game and earned more reps. Has gotten a few at first-team RG the last two days.

@ScottPetrak

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
#Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said rookie Drew Forbes got more reps with ones at right guard today because he flashed in preseason opener last week and first joint practice with #Colts yesterday. Freddie said it's like a reward system, like a gas card

@NateUlrich

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I could see Forbes taking over the starting RG at some point in the near future.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend

That could happen.

Forbes played tackle in college but most thought he would be a guard in the NFL.

He is a good athlete. Quick, can pull. Has good size.

I would like to see him play there for awhile. See how he fares.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The game of football, I think it's always been a run first game,

Running, Tackling, Blocking, then;

passing, is what you do when you have to,

but the thing is, if you chose to pass, you have to test the waters deep, to stretch the whole field and make the defense defend the whole field,

that sets up the short passing,

I've been thinking recently of all the Browns championships I've hear of and how, they always had better running backs than they do on an average year,

I mean, I don't know how passing can be considered the most efficient,

Woody Hayes, said when you pass three things can happen, and two of them are bad.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Sadly for now, it seems like all the right guard candidates suck.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Not spoken in those words but this post most resembles my thoughts.

Nobody has grabbed the position yet and we are in preseason game #2. Forbes just might be the most Athletic RG candidate.
From his draft Profile:

Strengths
Controlled, choppy steps into initial engagements
Will fire hips into blocks for additional jolt
Effective gallop step technique into down blocks
Plays with strain and grit at point of attack
Lower body is loose and athletic
Balance to recover and re-engage
Works to reset hands when they slide out of place
Can pop, collect and seal defenders for run lane creation
Fluid hips and feet to handle lateral duties
Gets to backside climb blocks and washes down linebackers
Adjusts to moving targets

Weaknesses
Is a little bit high-cut in his build
Plays with too much forward lean in pass sets
Needs hands to attack with efficient path to opponents frame
Hands tend to drift outside in initial challenges
Level of competition could cause slow transition
Faces substantial jump in opponent's power with move to guard
Tape is filled with head ducking
Needs to latch in strong with his hands to secure

I think he has worked hard on some of his weaknesses and is getting the most out of his opportunity. I know some are saying Kush has the job but I think Kush is a well I guess we will "SETTLE" for him as he makes the least mistakes.

I like the kid Forbes Almost as much as I disliked Corbett when we obtained them.

I think its obvious that Forbes is the only one taking advantage of the opportunity. My money is on him, hope he gets the start Saturday!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Jury is still out on the kicking game, but going into his 2nd year I am not convinced of Corbett. I do hope he succeeds, but at 33rd pick this is the biggest question mark on Dorsey's time here. But, for all the good things he has brought to the club and our many riches, I can accept it. I am pulling for the guy and hopeful he can grow. Schwartz became a great player, but many of us were unsure of him in his early days too.

T
Legend
Legend
T

I noticed a couple years ago that my opinions and your expressed opinions on whether (any given player) was good or bad were almost 100 percent in opposition.

You are right that there is no clear superstar in there, and I think Kush will eventually start,
If Forbes is getting attention, maybe it means Forbes is showing toughness,
But isn't he more naturally a taller outside tackle, backing up in pass protection,...
instead of a (standing shorter stance), inside, seek and find, (forward run blocking) guard?

Corbett doesn't suck, he just has limited upside, but he can be useful in situations, in my opinion,

Pretty sure Kush will end up the starter, but only because I was pretty sure "one of" the three guys they signed in Feb/Mar was going to start, from the day they let Zeitler go.

They didn't get a first teamer in the draft this year, and they didn't appear to have a guy in position to transition in during year two, from last year;

except Corbett, Figure it's going to come down to Corbett and whichever one of the three Feb/march guys, (free agent vet signing), that they chose to fill that same role,

Looks like Corbett, ..excuse me,.. Looks like Kush is going to get the starter role, and either way I think they'll be fine,

If Forbes, is getting attention, and reps, it's probably a reward for something Forbes has been showing in practice and camp.

I don't think they'll, the guys going to suck,

They just don't have a "superstar" in there like they did with, (or close to with), Zeitler.

They'll be fine, Kalais, is a journeyman center backup interior guy , with similar potential and upside, but he's got a minor injury these weeks.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Ok, every stop freaking out. We might not have a Zeitler, but I doubt if any of these guys “suck”.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: Hamfist
Ok, every stop freaking out. We might not have a Zeitler, but I doubt if any of these guys “suck”.

WELL, I agree that there are serious questions on Corbett. But, I wouldn't say he "sucks". I trust Dorsey's talent evaluators, but the kid needs to step up and show serious improvement this season.

BUT, get used to it...as fans many in here used to say Mitchell Schwartz and Buster Skrine sucked (only to boo hoo a couple years later when the FO didn't re-sign them or let them walk).

H
All Pro
All Pro
H
Originally Posted By: PDXBrownsFan
Originally Posted By: Hamfist

WELL, I agree that there are serious questions on Corbett. But, I wouldn't say he "sucks". I trust Dorsey's talent evaluators, but the kid needs to step up and show serious improvement this season.

BUT, get used to it...as fans many in here used to say Mitchell Schwartz and Buster Skrine sucked (only to boo hoo a couple years later when the FO didn't re-sign them or let them walk).

I agree about Corbett. Time to take the job, if you’re going to be the man. If it just so happens that another guy is better, then, it is what it is. I’m sure we all wanted him to be the more better Zeitler, but, to be honest, that was a big ask. Zeitler is a damn good player.

Legend
Legend
J/C

Based on the fact that Corbett has played so late into the game, I think it’s safe to assume he’s on the bubble.

Not to mention, if he’s gonna be a center he cannot have snaps like that ... he had Ike 4 terrible snaps

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Corbett looks like poop (technical term) the first two games.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Corbett, the highest 2nd round pick you can possibly get, may not make the team.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Corbett, the highest 2nd round pick you can possibly get, may not make the team.

It happens....all teams miss on picks (possibly re: Corbett).

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It isn't a dig on Dorsey. It is just disappointing.

M
Legend
Legend
M

If Corbett doesn't work out, it is a ding on Dorsey. But one pick doesn't make or break a GM.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

If Corbett doesn't work out, it is a ding on Dorsey. But one pick doesn't make or break a GM.

You can focus on a missed pick, but objective folks would look at the Browns having the worst roster in the NFL pre-Dorsey to perhaps the most talented roster AD. And he did it in just two years.

Incredible!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly. If Corbett is a bust, and as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on that, It's only one pick. What about all the other good picks, trades and pick-ups JD has made? How can anyone badger him on Corbett and not look at all the other positives. Ridiculous.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

You can focus on a missed pick, but objective folks would look at the Browns having the worst roster in the NFL pre-Dorsey to perhaps the most talented roster AD. And he did it in just two years.

Incredible!

I think the Browns had one of the worst rosters pre-Sashi too.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think we all know why Memphis is focusing on Corbett.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

At this point, probably best that we get back on-topic...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
j/c

I agree.

Back on topic...Corbett sucks.

But I hope the Browns don't give up on him.

That would be a very Browns thing to do.

I heard something interesting the other day regarding the Steelers. First, no one develops players like the Steelers do. That's why I think they should be considered the favorite in the north. But what I heard was that they have a 3 year plan for all of their draftees. I found that comment interesting.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Because Doug Lesmerises said he was bad, so I obliged.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
Legend
V

Because Doug Lesmerises said he was bad, so I obliged.

He didn't say he was bad. He offered no take whatsoever other than reporting the guys alternating at RG. He did NOT talk about technique, strength, explosion, etc.

But, I am not surprised you consider him a good source. rofl

Legend
Legend
J/C

Corbett’s performance was not good today. I mean, we’ve already been shown (per the coaching decisions) that he can’t play RG ... well, he can’t play C right now either. Plus, I’ve read “experts” that are trusted w/Browns info that his effort was poor as well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Can you provide some specifics? I tried watching him today and it was very difficult.

Not calling you out, but it seems like it's a popular thing to rip the dude. I have experience at scouting and I found it almost impossible to see if he was doing a good or bad job. What did you see that led you to such a strong position? Please provide specific examples. Thanks.

Legend
Legend
Well, just to start with ... he was at center for the entire game (that I saw) ... and he had probably 4-5 snaps that were VERY bad (disrupted/destroyed the play and got our QB into danger)

He also was shown being screamed at by the coaching staff (I saw the clip on twitter and it was due to a lack of effort from the comments I saw).

I saw 2-3 times via replay that he was beaten by the DT and whiffed, which caused losses of yardage.

I’d also add (just from a coaching perspective) that there’s a reason he was still in at the very end of the game. You don’t see many guys who are even close to starters (or even real backups) in at that point in time. The coaches clearly did it for a reason

V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks for answering. I didn't see all that. But again, thanks for answering.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
j/c

I agree.

Back on topic...Corbett sucks....

I literally laughed when I read that. Thanks!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Corbett is struggling I agree, but I also saw Cam Erving struggle here. Worst lineman ever I thought. Hasn't he started for the Chiefs for the last few years? Corbett is entering his second season with 1 start and has played in 11 games. I think we can give him the year to develop, unless the talent behind him is so much better. Dorsey saw something or we would not have drafted him.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/18/19 12:11 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yes, I agree. He'll get another year to learn how to snap, and block.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Only saw 2 bad snaps...that of course is 2 too many...lol laugh

Don't forget Gilbert has a bad habit of jumping up a tad on EVERY SHOTGUN Snap. So hard to see any bad ones but I counted two.

He is taking a lot of valuable snaps at center and then staying with Center throughout the game. Either he is the automatic Center next year? or he will have to go.

Dorsey has to draft a good OL man in the 1st or 2nd round to make up for this bad draft of a player! From Day one when it was said that we didn't have a position for him. They can say all they want about an OL that can play all the positions I say dawg poop on that. That would tell me he isn't good enough to be part of a plan as a great OLman for a specific position.
Now if that was Center they should have stated that.

He is as close to a bust as I can see us making on a top 33 pick.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

Corbett knew going into this year the position was open. He also knew other guys (Kush) were brought in to compete. The job would not be given to him.

Tab brought up a point about Corbett in college. He played tackle but it was clear that he was out of position.

Joe Thomas said early he was not tackle material. When a player is not position defined it can be difficult. They then get tried out when they should be refining a position skill set.

Corbett is stuck in trying to find a fit. I have no idea how it will end. Maybe he flunks out. Maybe he becomes a center. He is a young guy and sometimes it takes more than one year.

No GM as any Browns fan knows hits on every pick. Impossible. There is no way on earth I hold the Corbett pick over Dorsey's head as a mark of failure.

When you look at first all the guys Dorsey flushed out who stunk. Then replaced with guys who are contributors.

The transformation of the roster is incredible. There is not a single person who covers the NFL that is not aware of what has been done in Cleveland.

E
Legend
Legend
E
No, Dorsey can not be 100% on his picks that is true. But OL sorry its a positive that is easily scouted. And very few turn out bums. Harrison was one of the few and I'm so glad he's reviving his OL status with us.

But for the most part at #33 regarding INTERIOR OL...the kid should be a stud not an OH maybe he can learn this position or that.

I love Dorsey, I bow to him every year with amazing trades, FA signing and his draft picks. In regards to missing the boat on a #33 overall pick for the OL...I'm disappointed but don't think for a moment I'm saying get rid of him or he doesn't know how to draft. Just this is the first big OL pick he made and I'm not happy with it. Heck...even others did well with a Mack, with a Shwartz, with a Bitonio the last two picked later in the draft than a Corbett. I saw goood in those two from their first year. Not Corbett and now its year two and it ain't getting better.

Do we blame Dorsey? Wilies the OL coach of that time?
Podesta if this was some sort of analytical thing?

Don't know all I do know is I didn't like it from day one and from me being an OL nut that is a big time disappointment.
Heck I was more happy with our 7th round pick of Paul Zaukaukus then Corbett!

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

Just IMO no pick is a given. It doesn't matter the position.

Hell I thought Trent Richardson was going to be a stud and I was not alone.

Cam Irving a first rounder? I can name a bunch of OL drafted real high that bombed.

A day does not pass when I don't have to pinch myself to make sure this team is the Browns. After being tortured for years. I am so grateful today to be a Browns fan. And that would not be the case without Dorsey.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yep, there are a ton of offensive linemen who have been busts over the years.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

My concern is that if Campen can't get him there...maybe he really just cannot GET there.

Legend
Legend

Again Corbett is a young guy.

Maybe he fails. Then again it may be too early to right him off.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns 2019 training camp preview: Analyzing the offensive line

Link Copied to Clipboard