Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Ohio Considers Eliminating Concealed-Carry Permits
by Nadia Ramlagan, Ohio News Service August 12, 2019 at 9:21 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio continues to chip away at firearm restrictions, and one bill being considered by lawmakers would allow people 21 and older to carry concealed weapons without needing a permit.
House Bill 178 is sponsored by Republicans Ron Hood and Tom Brinkman, along with more than 20 other legislators.

Toby Hoover, founder of the Ohio Coalition Against Gun Violence, is convinced that the bill would put communities at even greater risk.

"And that is a pro-gun piece of legislation," she points out. "It's been introduced to allow people to carry concealed weapons without a background check, without a permit, without any kind of training. It would allow anybody that's not prohibited by law in some other way to go ahead and carry a gun."

The Ohio House will likely vote on the bill before year's end.

According to the Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, Ohio has the 22nd-highest gun death rate among the states, and on the center's annual scorecard of state gun safety laws, the organization gives the state a D grade.

More than 1,400 Ohio residents lose their lives to gun violence each year.

Compared to other states, Ohio has relatively few gun control laws. There are no waiting periods to purchase guns, dealers aren't required to obtain state licenses and there is no limit on the number of guns that can be purchased at one time.

There's also no ban on assault weapons or large capacity magazines.

Hoover says state lawmakers have worked to erode any gun law that might be considered restrictive.

"Over these years, we've just watched the gun lobby completely influence the Ohio Statehouse," she states. "And so, we had seen our gun laws that we had, which were very few, weaken and weaken."

Gov. Mike DeWine, who has previously been endorsed by the NRA, is now proposing to tighten access to guns by requiring background checks on firearm purchases, among other reforms he recently announced after a gunman killed nine people and injured more than 20 others in Dayton last weekend.

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-hea...d-carry-permits

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
I don't think they will pass a bill to allow people 21 and older to carry concealed weapons without needing a permit, but we shall see.

Legend
Legend
We just passed it, called Constitutional Carry, earlier this year. It goes into effect on Nov 1.

#GMSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
I don't think they will pass a bill to allow people 21 and older to carry concealed weapons without needing a permit, but we shall see.
Wv has this law. As do other states.

L
Legend
Legend
L
"Gov. Mike DeWine, who has previously been endorsed by the NRA, is now proposing to tighten access to guns by requiring background checks on firearm purchases, among other reforms he recently announced after a gunman killed nine people and injured more than 20 others in Dayton last weekend."

Seems wise. It's a shame something like Dayton had to happen before changes, isn't it?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

Seems wise. It's a shame something like Dayton had to happen before changes, isn't it?
yep, that’s what I thought as well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Can you think of a situation where it’s good for a citizen to carry a concealed firearm?

I guess if you came across a felony in progress.

Where you or someone else were bodily threatened by the felon.

An extremely remote likelihood where it is appropriate and you have the time to draw a loaded firearm.

I think having Joe Sixpack walking around “packing” is worse.

I mean, if you’re carrying it, you’d love to use it.

“What’d ya say a-hole?”

Legend
Legend
I doubt that this happens, but I welcome it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Bad timing for something like this

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Arresting and jailing people for carrying a gun without a piece of plastic with their face on it is stupid.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG
Arresting and jailing people for carrying a gun without a piece of plastic with their face on it is stupid.

Then if that's true, driving without a piece of plastic with your face on it should be outlawed.... Great logic there BpG

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Then if that's true, driving without a piece of plastic with your face on it should be outlawed.... Great logic there BpG

Owning a gun is a Constitutional Right granted to you at birth.
Driving on public roads is nothing beyond a mere privilege granted to you by the government.

BIG difference.

Browns is the Browns

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Remind me of the Amendment that mentions driving. Car deaths are always way more common. Sweet logic bro

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm, just curious....

Do you think it's a good idea to have people walking around carrying firearms that may have zero training and that may have never fired a weapon before?

I already know of a few people that legally have a CCW permit that it just scares the hell out of me to know they walk around in public packing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My opinion doesn't really matter, however, I'm torn on the topic.

On the one hand, I completely and unabashedly support the idea that a Right is a Right and the phrase "shall not be infringed" should be obeyed.

On the other hand, yeah, there are definitely stupid people out there... but, you can't fix stupid. That's Darwin's job.

In the end, however, the way I view it is this: Ohio is a legal open-carry state. ANYONE can openly walk down the street with a firearm on their side. ANYONE. Without any paperwork at all.... but, you have to get a license to do the same thing with your shirt untucked and the firearm hidden? That's just stupid. Utterly stupid and accomplishes pretty much nothing except creating paper trails on legal gun owners.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think when people start talking about what the constitution says about the right to bare arms, they conveniently forget the part about a well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The only part that matters is that The Supremes have said that we have the Right to own firearms by virtue of the 2nd Amendment. *I* don't need to know or remember much of anything else beyond that.

There are no laws at the federal level restricting open-carry, and my state allows open-carry -- thus, open-carry is legal here without any documentation or licensing whatsoever.

Those simple, indisputable facts make licensing for CCW pretty dang stupid.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
p.s. that is not to say that part of me doesn't support the idea of classes and some need for showing a degree of competency, however that part of me is in conflict with the fact that we have these Rights unconditionally and wherever I have conflict like that, I always prefer to err to the side of my Freedoms.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Owning a gun is a Constitutional Right granted to you at birth.

So we should let toddlers have guns.

yebat' Putin
P
Legend
Legend
P
Thanks. I've never been one to think just because something is law that those laws are infallible.

I don't think that requiring someone have the proper gun training infringes on your right to own a firearm. I just think it sets a common sense parameter. I mean anyone could still own a firearm.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
On the other hand, yeah, there are definitely stupid people out there... but, you can't fix stupid. That's Darwin's job.

Let's see...barely 7 days after an Ohio gunman murders 9 people and injures 27 more..The bill sponsored by Republicans Rep. Ron Hood, of Ashville, and Rep. Thomas Brinkman Jr, of Cincinnati proposed legislation that...

...would drop the requirement for people carrying concealed weapons to say they are armed during interactions with officers.

...would also eliminate requirements for firearms training, background checks and a license before people over 21 can conceal carry.

...the Republican-sponsored amendment would require licensed firearm dealers to give gun purchasers a one-page leaflet on Ohio gun laws.

...would eliminate the "duty to report" requirement that says someone carrying a concealed weapon must inform officers during encounters with law enforcement. It also says police would no longer have grounds to search or detain an "otherwise law-abiding person" for carrying a firearm.

Ohio needs to fix stupid at the ballot box.

You want the Truth?

Elected officials have to earn that NRA bribe money !

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I think when people start talking about what the constitution says about the right to bare arms, they conveniently forget the part about a well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State.

It depends on how you read it.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The way I interpret it, the right to keep and bear arms is something that already exists and shall not be infringed....The fact that "a well regulated militia is necessary to the security of the state" is a reason why the existing right shall not be infringed. Many argue that the right was granted BECAUSE a militia is necessary, but the right was already present if you read it correctly.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
I carry and support the 2nd, but I’d want a person to go through training before carrying, open or concealed. If that means another card with your picture on it, so be it.

Also, open carrying is dumb. It displays who’s carrying and where the good guys guns are located. That makes it easy for the bad guys to take them.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

And the left always brings up the militia part as if you have to be enlisted to own a gun. When the amendment was written, everyone was part of the militia. You were expected to show up when called upon.

[Linked Image from s2.excoboard.com]
B
Legend
Legend
B
I'm, just curious....

Do you think it's a good idea to have people walking around carrying firearms that may have zero training and that may have never fired a weapon before?

I already know of a few people that legally have a CCW permit that it just scares the hell out of me to know they walk around in public packing.

To get it one has to take tests and demonstrate proficiency.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I was talking about open carry. I'm not sure how the law works on that. Do you have to have training to open carry?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell
And the left always brings up the militia part as if you have to be enlisted to own a gun. When the amendment was written, everyone was part of the militia. You were expected to show up when called upon.

So your right to own a gun was based on the fact that it was your duty to be a part of a militia if called upon?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: jfanent
It depends on how you read it.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The way I interpret it, the right to keep and bear arms is something that already exists and shall not be infringed....The fact that "a well regulated militia is necessary to the security of the state" is a reason why the existing right shall not be infringed. Many argue that the right was granted BECAUSE a militia is necessary, but the right was already present if you read it correctly.

Gotta point the bolded part of your post out. So it seems what you're saying is that the way you interpret it dictates how you see it. And the way you interpret it is the only way to read it correctly?

wink

I'm a proponent of the second amendment also. But I do think gun training and solid background checks are needed.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
What a coincidence. I just heard this yesterday.

worth a listen.

https://www.cafe.com/stay-tuned-gunning-for-the-2nd-amendment-with-michael-waldman/

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: ErikInHell

So your right to own a gun was based on the fact that it was your duty to be a part of a militia if called upon?

It still is and we still are. Basically, if you're part of the country is somehow threatened, by invasion, natural disaster, unnatural disaster, alien invasion, failure of the electric grid, government failure or takeover, or anything else anyone can come up with, we may have to defend ourselves. We have the right to keep and bare arms if we ever have to defend ourselves.

Legend
Legend
small point, but it's bear arms.
bare arms are what we see when you wear a wife beater.
and let's have no talk about Grizzly appendages. they walk on 4 LEGS.

wink

[rimshot]

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

wink

[rimshot]

I love autocorrect.

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
Wv has this law. As do other states.

Just wonderin.....

Per capital, is WVs gun murder rate, gun used in a crime..., etc, etc greater, the same, or less than Ohio's.

Impossible to answer?

Not sure I'm for or against this.

I've had my Ohio CCW permit since 2006. Went thru the CCW course, exam, range training, etc.

Not sure I'm ready to have the majority of society walking around armed with no previous gun safety training, etc, etc.

I took the course. I passed.

Just thinking outloud.......

The ironic thing is that I prob haven't CCW'D for 4-5 years. I should, but I haven't.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

wink

[rimshot]

I support the right to bare arms as well.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
I was talking about open carry. I'm not sure how the law works on that. Do you have to have training to open carry?

Zero training is required in Ohio.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Didn't know that. How long has open carry/zero training been in effect in Ohio?

Or has it been in effect since Columbus sailed the ocean blue or?

Since statehood?

Never knew that.

TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: TTTDawg

Didn't know that. How long has open carry/zero training been in effect in Ohio?

Or has it been in effect since Columbus sailed the ocean blue or?

Since statehood?

Never knew that.

So basically open carry =

No training, testing, no paperwork, range time, etc.

Not even a badge?

So.......???

P
Legend
Legend
P

I find that to be worrisome.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
I feel that everyone should take a gun safety class to own a gun.

I also feel everyone should have a background check for violent crimes/mental health histories of certain kinds.

I did both of these things when I first bought my gun, and applied for a ccw.

It wasnt a big deal, and the class was fun. I was already trained by my Dad, but thought it would be a good idea anyways. It also had good information about GA laws and what to do if you get pulled over with a gun in your car. And how to carry a gun in your car. So, as to not piss off the police.

No Craps Given
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
I think to own a gun you should have to be certified in how to safely use it and store it. I also think that you should have to pass a test to show you are mentally stable and not on prescription or illegal drugs that alter body chemistry in unpredictable or dangerous ways. I fully support background checks to slow the process of buying a gun down to help prevent crime of passion moments. I think that a person who owns a gun should be reevaluated every 4 years to ensure they are still mentally healthy enough to maintain ownership of deadly weapons.

I do not support anything that prevents a healthy, non-felon person from owning a gun.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Ohio Considers Eliminating Concealed-Carry Permits

Link Copied to Clipboard