Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1651244 08/18/19 11:07 AM
P
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
P
Looks like NFLN has promoted this game to the live game this coming Friday (game 2 was initially the only one of the 4 that was the live game).

Hey mods, perhaps this post can be kept and eventually moved to the Tampa Bay thread once it is made?

Legend
Legend
I saw the commercial advertising it as being live on NFLN as well ... i hope that’s the case.

Their offense is going to be the best we’ll see all preseason (granted that they all play), so i’m Interested to see our secondary against their playmakers.

I don’t know as much about their defense other than they lost McCoy. I’m not as worried about our offense, as long as everyone stays healhty

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
If he decides not to play anybody again, I’m fine with it ... they have a better grasp on where we are as a team than anyone. If they think we have gotten enough work and don’t wanna risk it ... fine by me

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

This is so good.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

This is so good.

Until it isn't. LOL

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Pre season is a joke and SHOULD BE ELIMINATED ASAP!

E
Legend
Legend
E
I would prefer they play.

No Craps Given
P
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

I think 2 friendlies/preseason games is good, but 4 is ridiculous.

The main idea is obviously to see who makes the 53, but these guys are also competing to get signed by other teams. So, it's important to play to see who fits. For example....Hilliard was a guy we all expected was definitely going to make the team. All of a sudden we are now talking about D'Ernest Johnson. Let these two guys show what they have and make the decision who you keep.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think not letting your starters get live game reps whenever you can is setting them up to fail. Its simple..work with the other coach and agree how much to play the ones, that way you don't have future grocery baggers trying to hurt key guys. Then both sides get valuable reps. I get not wanting your starters out against 2nd and 3rd team. But Theres still some questions with our 1's in some position battles.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
P
I think Freddie's camp has been more physical than previous camps and they have been getting some good reps in. A possession or two, maybe play the entire 1st quarter of the 3rd game. But, in the end we don't need 4 preseason games. The 4th is kind of a joke as it often is those who will be cut. Some key battles may spill into the 4th, but usually everybody is looking forward to the regular season and making the dreaded cuts.

Legend
Legend
I agree ... i think the physical play of the last few weeks is escalated compared to what we’ve seen .. especially this past week. I was good with keeping them out this week at least

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
I think not letting your starters get live game reps whenever you can is setting them up to fail. Its simple..work with the other coach and agree how much to play the ones, that way you don't have future grocery baggers trying to hurt key guys. Then both sides get valuable reps. I get not wanting your starters out against 2nd and 3rd team. But Theres still some questions with our 1's in some position battles.

I hear what you are saying, and can't totally disagree. On the other hand, Freddie is running a tough camp, unlike most of our previous coaches.

When we run full contact in camp, the QB is the only one who gets the "Out of Jail" card.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

I'll compromise and say 2 pre season games are enough.

But it is really bad football to watch. The starters rarely play if at all.

Unwatchable as far as I'm concerned.

Legend
Legend
Then they should call them what they are.....scrimmages. Nobody's playing to win, it's not a game. Charging full price for the tickets is a crime.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
F
Legend
Legend
F
They should cut the 4th pre-season game and add a bye week, so that each team gets 2 bye-weeks 1 in the first 8 games, 1 in the second 8 games.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
I agree ... I think Eventually we go to 18 total regular season weeks .. every team gets 2 bye weeks. It’s the perfect compromise: NFL gets another TV week, players get another week of rest, Safety is adhered to ... and 16 games for record sake is maintained.

Plus, the Super Bowl falls one week later: The Sunday before President’s Day, which is the preferred weekend to end

E
Legend
Legend
E
I don't get the resistance to preseason games out side of the high cost of watching basically a scrimmage.

Its a chance for the team to get out there with pads and hit somebody not on our team. There are not that many opportunities to do so. We got 80+ on the roster now. I think its a good venue to get the pads on and evaluate...especially the OL and DL.

Keep all the legs fresh and the competitive spirit alive.

So far I like the way Kitchens has ran this team. I see everybody getting an opportunity and the Veterans kept out as much as possible. But those fighting for a position whether its a starting or back up role you need those preseason games to help evaluate.

I don't want a team built on PRACTICE PLAYERS and then find out during the real games that they disappear when the real hitting starts.

so we have done away with so much hitting. That teams literally forget how to tackle.

I look at it as a 20 game season with the first 4 games not counting in the standings. Just getting the rust out.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
As long as Kitchens has this team ready to roll and firing on all cylinders come Week 1, I don't care how he approaches pre-season. I'm all for him doing whatever it is he feels is necessary to have this team ready.

If they come out and lay an egg because they weren't ready, though, then there should be Hell to pay.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yea tab...

I'm afraid pre-season is a necessary evil.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Play Baker for a drive or two then sit him please.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah physical practices still aren't replacement for actual games and 4 quarters of tackling another team. Even in practice they only have certain periods where they go to the ground..So I get why people rather they sit but at the same time I think playing these games at full speed actually help prevent injuries..This is assuming your starters are playing theirs and then after that it is what it is

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

No way,,

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P

Until one of our stars is lost for the season and you and others will hammer Freddie ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Or Freddie may not play them in pre season.

Then if they come out and aren't ready the first couple of games people will hammer Freddie.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Legend
Legend
D
rofl ...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I'll be one of them and Freddie would deserve it.

This team has a ton of new moving parts. Playing the guys for the first half would make sense in the so-called "dress rehearsal" game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
rofl

V
Legend
Legend
V
Would you like to let me in on the joke? You don't think we have a lot of new players? You don't think timing and learning the nuances of your teammates at full game speed is important? What's so funny? Seriously.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I will be at the bar on Friday.
And the Browns and Atlanta United will be playing at the same time.
I might have a sports overdose.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
As would I.

I won't criticise him for playing or not playing players in preseason, but I *will* criticise him if this team isn't ready to roll Week 1 right out of the gate. That's his job.

If he feels that not playing the starters is the best way to ensure they are ready Week 1, I'm all for it - if it works.

Browns is the Browns

D
Legend
Legend
D
rofl

V
Legend
Legend
V
Diam, what are you laughing at?

Legend
Legend

Pre-season games?

For the most part it is about who will make the roster.

Teams are very secretive and do want to show much.

I don't know what is right as far as playing starters. You sure as hell do not want guys getting injured.

Veterans who you know need to be ready. They know how to get ready. Bubble players want film so they can catch on somewhere.

Plenty will never play in the NFL.

So I don't know what good it does playing some guys?

In the end it is all about game one and being ready for that game. So whatever they decide all is quickly forgotten once the real games begin.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think there is some confusion here, bone.

Typically, the starters only play one series in game one. They might play two or three in game two. They might not play a single down in game four. However, they typically play a half and maybe one more series in the third quarter in the third game.

That is not news.

I really don't get why Diam is laughing at me and others unless he is simply going to make fun of anyone who dares question Freddie. That's unfortunate. And the crazy thing is that Freddie might end up playing our starters in game three. Wonder if he will laugh then?

L
Legend
Legend
L
It's all about the dollar bills. Exhibition games are money grabs for the NFL.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend

Vers, I don't have an answer.

There is so much we don't see. Freddie has had these guys in pads a lot. I hear he does a bunch of situational football.

They had two days of practice against the Colts. I heard Donavan say at one time the offense ran 16 straight plays.

Maybe he saw what he wanted to see from the starters during the week?

We all know the fourth game is a waste.

Game three? Yes in the past it has been starters play a half. What will Freddie do? I would bet Odell does not play. And he is not hurt. Bitonio some of the other vets?

Maybe for Freddie it is about seeing the depth? His call.

I for one see no reason for 4 pre-season games.

But hell I guess we are all itching for the season to get going?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will be at the bar on Friday.
And the Browns and Atlanta United will be playing at the same time.
I might have a sports overdose.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
rofl

rofl

Browns is the Browns

E
Legend
Legend
E
Sports Overdose. Not alcohol overdose.

Learn to read.

No Craps Given
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 12 Buccaneers 13 Looking ahead at Tampa

Link Copied to Clipboard