Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
I think he was referring to the videotaping of practice (but I could be wrong about that)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E

No Craps Given
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: Dave
Josh Gordon doesn't wear orange and brown; I don't care about him. I was annoyed by the reinstatement because of Goodell's new-found sense of equanimity when it comes to Josh Gordon, a multiple/repeat offender, after basically throwing the book at him every single chance he got when Gordon was a Brown. Gordon played 41 games in 6+ years here while missing nearly 60 games, but its heart-warming to know that he has a chance at his first full season since 2012 as a Patriot.

It's hard to pass too much judgement due to the anonymity of the substance abuse policy. A few points though:

- I don't think the book was thrown at Josh while he was a Brown to the extent that you are implying. There was a lot of misinfo out there regarding Josh (no doubt planted by his camp) that was used to garner public sympathy. The whole second hand smoke, codeine for a cough, only a couple beers, misrepresenting different test thresholds for marijuana, and so on. There were times he could have rightfully been tossed for a year or longer and he was allowed to come back that season. One of these times actually happened while he got a DUI, shortly before meeting with Goodell, while already facing a year-long suspension.

- Gordon already missed the end of last season and all of the playoffs

- If the NFL is going easier on Gordon now, it probably has more to do with public relations and general attitudes about marijuana than anything. I really doubt the league office is actively pushing him back because he's on the Patriots.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H

Luckily for me, it appears you did not read the 'yourteamcheats' link that you provided. Let's go through it: https://yourteamcheats.com/NE

Quote:
Deflategate (2015)

TEAM: The New England Patriots

SUMMARY: Immediately after the Indianapolis Colts were blown out (again) by the Patriots, this time in the 2015 AFC Championship game, Colts reporter Bob Kravitz broke a story that the NFL was investigating the Patriots for using underinflated footballs in the game.

Soon afterwards, Chris Mortensen hastily reported, based upon a now-discredited leak from the league, that 11 of the Patriots' 12 game footballs were deflated 2 PSI below the 12.5 PSI minimum legal requirement (Mortensen finally removed his inaccurate tweet on August 4, 2015 -- 195 days after he posted it.)

Two weeks later, on the morning of the Super Bowl, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport corrected this information, reporting that just one of the 11 footballs was 2 PSI under the limit, while many were "just a few ticks under the [12.5 PSI] minimum."

According to ProFootballTalk, the one football that was 2 PSI under the limit was the ball intercepted by D’Qwell Jackson and taken to the Colts sideline and ultimately submitted to the NFL to launch an investigation. The NFL chose not to investigate whether the Colts intentionally manipulated that football before submitting it.

107 days later, NFL independent investigator special prosecutor Ted Wells gave up his search for concrete evidence and guessed that there was at least a 51% chance that the Patriots might have been involved in the deflation of the game footballs.

Facts, schmacts, who needs them? Do you just know in your hairy beer-gut that a team with the Patriots' spotty cheating history absolutely did this? This page is just for you. I think you'll like it.

UPDATE 1: On May 14, 2015 council for the New England Patriots issued a comprehensive rebuttal to the Wells Report. One significant point was that the Colts broke a written league rule when they tested the air pressure of the intercepted football during the game. The Wells Report never flagged that as an issue.

UPDATE 2: On May 21, Sally Jenkins of The Washington Post published the best Deflategate analysis to date showing how Goodell took an insignificant rule infraction and trumped it up to a franchise-smearing scandal to save his own hide.

Jenkins wrote:

"NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell predetermined guilt in DeflateGate; that’s clear now. He has smeared Tom Brady and the New England Patriots without proper evidence or a competent investigation and turned an unimportant misdemeanor into a damaging scandal as part of a personal power play to shore up his flagging authority. In other cases, he just looked inept. In this one, he looks devious."

UPDATE 3: On June 12, The New York Times published an op-ed titled "Deflating 'Deflategate'" which summarized an analysis of the Wells Report done by an independent think tank called the American Enterprise Institute (AEI).

The AEI "On the Wells report" concluded:

"When we analyzed the data provided in the Wells report, we found that the Patriots balls declined by about the expected amount [ed. note: based on the Ideal Gas Law], while the Colts balls declined by less. In fact, the pressure of the Colts balls was statistically significantly higher than expected."

"This implies that the Colts balls sat in the warm room where they were to be measured — and thus increased in pressure — for almost the entirety of halftime before being measured."

"Logistically, the greater change in pressure in the Patriots footballs can be explained by the fact that sufficient time may have passed between halftime testing of the two teams’ balls for the Colts balls to warm significantly, effectively inflating them."

In early August, after all of the facts had been revealed, the league office leaks discredited and the not-really-independent Wells Report fully debunked by truly independent third party research organizations, ESPN's Skip Bayless had this to say:

[Tweet] More I hear, more I believe Goodell railroaded Tom Brady, framed him, used media to wrongly convict him in court of public opinion. Travesty

VICTIM: New England Patriots (This was nothing more than an NFL orchestrated hit-job on its premier franchise and GOAT QB)

PUNISHED? Yes

PUNISHMENT: After 107 days, 12 hours, 8 minutes and 7 seconds, NFL independent investigator special prosecutor Ted Wells speculated (after giving his "independent" report to the league to edit) that someone on the Patriots was "more probable than not" involved in the possible deflation of game football used in the first half of the AFC Championship game vs. the Colts, and quarterback Tom Brady was probably "at least generally aware" of this.

Wells reported that the Colts and the NFL had setup a premeditated sting operation on the Patriots which allowed the league time to test all 11 of the Patriots game footballs at halftime, but only left enough time to test 4 of the Colts balls. Interesting enough, one official found that 3 out of 4 of the Colts footballs were also underinflated to an illegal PSI, even though they had known about the sting beforehand.

On May 11, 2015, the NFL suspended Patriot quarterback Tom Brady for four games for failing to cooperate with the investigation (by not turning over contents of his personal phone) and for being "at least generally aware" of the "more probable than not" ball deflation that the Well report felt wasn't caused by the cold weather. The team was also fined one million dollars and docked their 2016 first round and 2017 fourth round picks.

Patriots' owner Robert Kraft responded to the announcement by expressing his and the team's full support of Brady and condemning the "one-sided report" and its "dismissal of the scientific evidence."

Brady announced his appeal of his suspension on May 14, 2015. Goodell, after decided that he would OBVIOUSLY be the best person to impartially handle the appeal of his completely fabricated case, upheld the suspension on July 28, 2015. On July 29 the NFLPA filed an appeal on behalf of Tom Brady in federal court.

UPDATE: On September 3, 2015, U.S. District Court Judge Richard Berman issued a ruling that overturned the NFL’s four game suspension of quarterback Tom Brady. Berman's decision was premised upon several significant legal deficiencies in the NFL's case, including (A) inadequate notice to Brady of both his potential discipline (four-game suspension) and his alleged misconduct; (B) denial of the opportunity for Brady to examine one of two lead investigators, namely NFL Executive Vice President and General Counsel Jeff Pash; and (C) denial of equal access to investigative files, including witness interview notes.

NFL commissioner and former Jets public relations intern Roger Goodell (ego-bruised and unwilling to give up on his petty witch-hunt) filed paperwork to appeal Berman's decision in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.

In this case, unlike many other ball-manipulation cheats, the team did not admit to cheating and there was absolutely no shred of evidence showing non-weather manipulation.

SUMMARY: After the release of Tom Brady's appeal transcript on August 4, 2015 and Judge Berman's ruling on September 3, 2015, it became clearly that the NFL simply lied, twisted, misrepresented and leveraged its profound ignorance to try to smear the reputation of one of its all-time great players for a yet-undisclosed reason. There is no evidence of cheating by Brady or the Patriots. There is, however, numerous examples of disgusting behavior by Goodell and the league office.

smile

E
Legend
Legend
E
Why dont you respond to the deflategate wiki, specifically the halftime ball meaurements.

HMMMMMM.

No Craps Given
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Haus
Originally Posted By: Dave
Josh Gordon doesn't wear orange and brown; I don't care about him. I was annoyed by the reinstatement because of Goodell's new-found sense of equanimity when it comes to Josh Gordon, a multiple/repeat offender, after basically throwing the book at him every single chance he got when Gordon was a Brown. Gordon played 41 games in 6+ years here while missing nearly 60 games, but its heart-warming to know that he has a chance at his first full season since 2012 as a Patriot.

It's hard to pass too much judgement due to the anonymity of the substance abuse policy. A few points though:

- I don't think the book was thrown at Josh while he was a Brown to the extent that you are implying. There was a lot of misinfo out there regarding Josh (no doubt planted by his camp) that was used to garner public sympathy. The whole second hand smoke, codeine for a cough, only a couple beers, misrepresenting different test thresholds for marijuana, and so on. There were times he could have rightfully been tossed for a year or longer and he was allowed to come back that season. One of these times actually happened while he got a DUI, shortly before meeting with Goodell, while already facing a year-long suspension.

- Gordon already missed the end of last season and all of the playoffs

- If the NFL is going easier on Gordon now, it probably has more to do with public relations and general attitudes about marijuana than anything. I really doubt the league office is actively pushing him back because he's on the Patriots.

Excerpt from the NFL Drug Policy ...

Discipline for violation following imposition of a 10-game suspension:

Any Positive Test – banishment

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Agents/2016SOAPolicy_v2.pdf

Excerpt from 2017 Pro Football Talk article on Josh Gordon suspensions:

Gordon was suspended for the first two games of the 2013 season for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy and suspended the first 10 games of the 2014 season for another violation. He was also suspended for the last game of 2014, although that suspension was by the Browns, not the NFL, for violating team rules.

Gordon was then suspended at the start of the 2015 season and hasn’t played since. He missed all 16 games in 2015, all 16 games in 2016 and will have missed 11 games in 2017 when he’s finally eligible to play again. Add up all those suspensions, and they come in at 56 games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ns-is-56-games/

O
Legend
Legend
O
Don't forget the fact that the main reason they won was because LeGarrette Blount ran roughshod over them that game.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Why dont you respond to the deflategate wiki, specifically the halftime ball meaurements.

HMMMMMM.

Wiki is edited by the public at large. A lot of people-- generally fans of the other 31 teams-- generally dislike the Patriots because of how many games and Super Bowls they win. Who do you think wins the editing wars on the Deflategate article?

I'd defer to the AEI report on the subject, which was a truly independent report, not one paid for in full by the NFL. http://www.aei.org/publication/on-wells-report/

Quote:
Abstract:

In the current “Deflategate” controversy, the New England Patriots have been accused of illicitly deflating footballs before the start of their 2015 American Football Conference championship game against the Indianapolis Colts. The National Football League and the lawyers it hired have produced a report — commonly known as the “Wells report” — that has been used to justify penalties against the Patriots and quarterback Tom Brady. Although the Wells report finds that the Patriots footballs declined in pressure significantly more than the Colts balls in the first half of the game, our replication of the report’s analysis finds that it relies on an unorthodox statistical procedure at odds with the methodology the report describes. It also fails to investigate all relevant scenarios. In addition, it focuses only on the difference between the Colts and Patriots pressure drops. Such a difference, however, can be caused either by the pressure in the Patriots balls dropping below their expected value or by the pressure in the Colts balls rising above their expected value. The second of these two scenarios seems more likely based on the absolute pressure measurements. Logistically, the greater change in pressure in the Patriots footballs can be explained by the fact that sufficient time may have passed between halftime testing of the two teams’ balls for the Colts balls to warm significantly, effectively inflating them.

Read the PDF.

Here I am making the assumption that we all know about the relationship between cold weather and lower air pressure. This is actually something important to know as we get into colder weather-- this means lower air pressure in your tires and likely this warning light coming on in your vehicle:

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
More reading...

NFL didn't know air pressure could drop naturally: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...drop-naturally/

True Scandal of Deflategate Lies in the N.F.L.’s Behavior: https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/23/sport...ts-expense.html

C
Legend
Legend
C
I thought we all knew that Deflategate was bogus. Apparently not.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I thought we all knew that Deflategate was bogus. Apparently not.

Especially when Aaron Rodgers bragged openly about over-inflating balls, pushing the envelope of how much air could be forced into them, being caught by officials numerous times and having them "deflate" them to normal standards. No fines, no warning, nothing. It's probably safe to say that any QB that had a preference outside the "range" did anything they wanted with their gameday footballs. But, you know, deflated footballs was the key to all of Brady's success.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think that's pretty normal actually. Deflating a ball makes it easier to grip. Over inflating a football makes it harder to grip. People don't see a competitive advantage in over inflating a football.

I'm not taking a side here, but Brady wasn't very cooperative during the investigation and I think that was his undoing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I think that's pretty normal actually. Deflating a ball makes it easier to grip. Over inflating a football makes it harder to grip. People don't see a competitive advantage in over inflating a football.

I'm not taking a side here, but Brady wasn't very cooperative during the investigation and I think that was his undoing.
Agreed, he didn't do himself any favors. But I would be pretty steamed too if the NFL and media were trying to make out decades of hard work, preparation (both physical and mental), and game study into nothing more than a few deflated balls as the reason to his success.

I would ASSume it gets old, especially when you have been a model teammate, leader, and face of the NFL.

Legend
Legend
Rodgers said the whole reason for over-inflating was because it gave him better grip on the ball. I know it seems strange to mere mortals like ourselves, but that was his whole premise for adding air.
It was also widely reported that other QBs adjusted game-balls to their liking, though there were no names mentioned. Then there was heating balls, using towels with "griping agents", etc...
The bottom line was the Colts exposed something that was a universal truth around the entire league (messing with footballs) and only the Pats and Brady were punished.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
If you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough.

Not that I agree, but another similar quote.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
So did Brady not smash his phone to conceal evidence?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes he did. That's one of the things I was referring to when I said he didn't cooperate. But then again, I'm not sure most people would want to turn over their phones.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Swish

Would you want the NFL to have your personal cell phone? It’s one of the leakiest organizations in existence.

Legend
Legend
Hmmm.....

Sorry but I’m hearing some sorry ass defenses right now of this.

Something tells me you...and ESPECIALLY Haus wouldn’t be defending Gordon if he smashed his phone during a situation like this.

Because the last time I checked, that would be obstruction of justice, regardless if he was part of the deflation or not.

I understand this was an nfl investigation and not a criminal one, but the concept still applies in the big picture.

Just odd why you guys are defending this, IMO.

Last edited by Swish; 08/21/19 03:22 PM.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Some people seem to go out of their way to defend one players actions, and out of their way to trash another players actions.

Cause to me, deflate gate and all the other crap the patriots have done is worse than failing a pee test.

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A

I believe he did.

But, so did hillary..........yet not a word from you about that?

A
Legend
Legend
A
Hmmm.....

Something tells me you...and ESPECIALLY Haus wouldn’t be defending Gordon if he smashed his phone during a situation like this.

Because the last time I checked, that would be obstruction of justice, regardless if he was part of the deflation or not.

I understand this was an nfl investigation and not a criminal one, but the concept still applies in the big picture.

Agreed.

Odd, isn't it?

Legend
Legend
Players are under no obligation to turn over their cell phones to the NFL for an investigation. I would defend any player's right to decline.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

I believe he did.

But, so did hillary..........yet not a word from you about that?

In the interest of not turning this political, here:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hillary-clinton-smash-phone-hammer/

So there’s no evidence that says she actually did.

There’s hard evidence that Brady did. Please, stick to the topic.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE
Players are under no obligation to turn over their cell phones to the NFL for an investigation. I would defend any player's right to decline.

So why didn’t he simply not turn it over. Why destroy it?

Makes no sense.

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Dave Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D

4th and 5th Amendments to the Constitution aren't just a good idea, its the law.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Your link says she didn't 'personally destroy her phone.

In the interest of fairness, does it matter WHO destroyed her phone?

Same with Brady - he, and she - destroyed evidence. Yet, you defend her, and not him?

Legend
Legend
Bro why are you STILL bringing up Hillary omfg.

Y’all definitely dated back in the day.

This is a thread about football, the patriots, and Gordon. Stick to that. Ask the question in PP and I’ll answer the question for the 100th time.

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Legend
Legend
P
Wrong forum dude. Really?

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It's funny because we all agree that the NFL has been grossly incompetent and reckless in many areas of player discipline. In the "Deflategate" case, it's obvious that the league was taking a guilty-until-proven innocent approach.

Go ahead and read the facts about the case. Various independent professors and institutions came to the Patriots defense. There were procedural errors, non-matching gauges, no record of the time passed between measuring various footballs or the temperature of the locker room, the blatantly false report leaked from the NFL to ESPN, and so on.

You take in all the evidence and it almost appears that the league was trying to frame the Patriots. Also read my first post in this thread where I came to this conclusion:

Quote:
I still don't know what happened that day but all the research I did at the time led me to believe that the conclusion of the Ted Wells report should have been that it is unclear whether or not the Patriots equipment guy deflated footballs because the NFL protocols were so pathetic and lacking that no firm conclusion could possibly be made.

This would have been the proper conclusion of any serious and impartial inquiry into the situation. Yet some of you guys take the Wells report at face value. It's almost like the report with a multi-million dollar price tag, paid for in full by the NFL, was never going to make the NFL look bad. Gee I wonder why.

Why in the world would Tom Brady hand over his personal cell phone to an organization that was going out of its way to leak false PSI info to ESPN, to take words wildly out of context to paint the Pats in a bad light, and so on? He was under no obligation to turn over his phone and anybody in their right mind-- innocent or guilty-- should have done the same thing in his situation.

Swish here used to regularly post articles in the political section about people who were sent to prison, who were later found to be innocent (through DNA testing, or other later-found evidence.) He obviously does not realize the disconnect, how things like the "right to remain silent", 4th and 5th amendment rights, etc. were not given to us to protect guilty people! They were given to us to protect innocent people, and to say that one must cooperate or else they are guilty is so hypocritical and a complete bastardization of our legal process.

About Gordon, he didn't just fail a pee test. He failed many pee tests, possibly more than ten combined in his professional and college career. He admitted to shooting guns at people in one interview, got a DUI while awaiting a hearing regarding a possible full year banishment for doing drugs, and refused to pay child support for months. And yes, I think those things are worse than an equipment manager letting a little air out of footballs, especially when it is totally unclear whether that even happened in the first place.

Legend
Legend

So why didn’t he simply not turn it over. Why destroy it?

Makes no sense.

1. He's rich and he can afford a new one.

2. So they could quit asking since it was now landfill.

3. It contained evidence and "you never know".

But mostly... 4. To rub their nose in it because he thought the entire charade was ridiculous (it was).

A
Legend
Legend
A
Yeah, really.

It matters for Brady, but not Hillary?

Destroying evidence is wrong - be it football, or politics. Probably even MORE wrong in politics.

Brady and the Pats got dinged. Your goddess? Not a thing.

Legend
Legend
I read you and FATEs response.

To any reasonable person, it would seem like simply telling the nfl ‘no’ to the request of handing over the cell phone would’ve been more than adequate.

This wasn’t even a criminal investigation, so why go through all of that?

You’re harping over all these technicalities and reports p, and yet you missed the bigger picture:

This wasn’t a criminal investigation. It’s football.

So when you post about what I stated in PP, did you forget that?

This isn’t a criminal investigation. This is football.

So it’s funny that you and now Arch are trying to speak about this from a criminal investigation standpoint, even though you two specifically have told me what?

Oh yea, that PRIVATE organizations can set whatever rules they want, and fire people for whatever reason they see fit.

Which means I’m the only one out of 3 staying consistent.

You two are hilarious. But please, continue.

So when a PRIVATE business runs an INTERNAL investigation based on the accusations of another team, then said team takes actions to try and conceal evidence....I mean I’m not sure what point you and others are trying to make here.

Whatever Gordon’s actions are outside of the nfl...did he get suspended for that? Or did he get suspended for failed pee test?

So yes, what the patriots did is worse than what Gordon did.

So again, you’re going out of your way to defend Brady and the patriots, and yet out of your way to trash Gordon. Interesting stuff for sure.

- Theodore Roosevelt
A
Legend
Legend
A
You're about as inconsistent on this as can be.

From you:
Quote:

So, the last time you checked, destroying evidence would be obstruction of justice. Yes?

But, in your mind, Hillary didn't obstruct justice. Weird 'consistency' ideas you have there.

As you say, Brady wasn't even a criminal investigation. Yet you want him held to a higher standard than the secretary of state????

You also stated this:
Quote:
Oh yea, that PRIVATE organizations can set whatever rules they want, and fire people for whatever reason they see fit.

Public organizations - you know, like gov't. - have legal obligations to find the truth. For OUR benefit.

If you're upset about Brady smashing his phone - over football - you must be livid over hillary having 5-7 of her devices smashed, and bleach bitting her server.

Cause if not, we won't discuss this anymore. You'll be known for being 'selective' in what you want enforced.

As for this comment:
Quote:
So again, you’re going out of your way to defend Brady and the patriots, and yet out of your way to trash Gordon. Interesting stuff for sure.

I've not defended Brady, and I haven't trashed Gordon.

Thank you.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Show me hard evidence that the Patriots deflated footballs and we can go from there.

There's none.

No video of air being taken out of footballs, no confessions, no hard proof AT ALL.

What the NFL has is video from outside of a bathroom of an elderly man in possessions of footballs, entering and using said bathroom for about a minute.

They have air pressure data, taken after a halftime of football on a cold/wet day in Foxborough (which will naturally decrease air pressure due to the ideal gas law), taken with differing gauges, and no record of which referee used which gauge, the temperature of the locker room, or the time passed between measuring the Patriots and Colts balls. If this were targeted at the Browns, or even some random team we didn't care about, we'd all see what a sick joke this is.

Where is the evidence?!

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/18/nfl-still-might-disclose-2015-psi-summaries/

NFL still might disclose 2015 PSI summaries
Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2016, 8:10 PM EDT

One year ago tonight, acting on a complaint from Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson, the NFL decided to test the air pressure of the footballs used by the Patriots in the AFC championship game.

The readings, generated by gauges that varied by roughly 0.5 PSI, showed that the Patriots’ footballs consistently were below the minimum of 12.5, the number to which the balls were set before the game. It later became clear that the NFL didn’t realize as the measurements were being made that a basic scientific principle known as the Ideal Gas Law resulted in the pressure dropping as the footballs went from a warm environment to a cold one at Gillette Stadium.

And so the misinformed, knee-jerk presumption of cheating poisoned the process from the get go. False information regarding the actual numbers created a presumption among the media and fans that someone did something they shouldn’t have done, setting the stage for a scorched-earth Ted Wells investigation that inevitably cobbled together enough pieces of circumstantial evidence to justify what appeared to be a predetermined conclusion.

Armed with unprecedented knowledge that weather conditions may indeed take the footballs used in a given game out of compliance with the 12.5-to-13.5 PSI range (both due to cold and due to heat), the NFL opted not to gather in 2015 exhaustive data for the purposes of understanding what happens when the temperature is 90 degrees or 9, and everything in between and beyond. Instead, the league has opted to use only a random testing procedure, periodically removing footballs from service at halftime for testing, and then testing the replacements at the end of the game.

The league has not yet committed to making any of the PSI information public. However, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the league may be releasing a summary of the data between the conference title games and the Super Bowl.

Without the raw numbers, few will put much stock in the summaries. Then again, the only way anyone would believe that summitries or raw numbers are accurate is if they undermine the notion that the measurements generated one year ago tonight suggest cheating.

Legend
Legend
You’re STILL. Talking about Hillary in a tailgate thread?

Stop it. Good lord stop it. I told bring that nonsense up in PP and I’ll gladly entertain you there.

Still haven’t done it. Kick rocks.

- Theodore Roosevelt
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
2016, Giants test two footballs from the Steelers that are underinflated, nothing happens: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ct...1212-story.html

Quote:
NFL's damning silence on a new case of underinflated footballs

Just listen to those crickets. A conspicuous hush is emanating from the NFL office on the subject of those soft footballs the New York Giants retrieved from the field against the Pittsburgh Steelers last week. Where was the outrage, the treating of ball-inflation and pounds-per-square-inch as more serious than a hijacking? Compare the screams of scandal NFL executives emitted towards Tom Brady and the New England Patriots to this smothered, pillow-over-the-face reaction.

It's a guilty silence, and it leaves NFL commissioner Roger Goodell beached and exposed. Goodell has always struggled with the demands of speech, but his wordlessness in this instance has nothing to do with competence but rather dishonesty. Any serious examination of those footballs from the Giants-Steelers game might well show that Goodell owes the Patriots and Brady an apology and material recompense. Which is exactly why the league is shutting the matter down and shutting it down now.

When the Giants tested air pressure on two footballs they captured against the Steelers and reported them to be below the permissible range of 12.5 PSI, league officials should have leaped into action. They should have told Steelers officials, "You're in big f------ trouble" and then leaked erroneous amateur-hour data that poisoned the public understanding. They should have triggered a massive multimillion-dollar investigation, complete with footnoted junk science, that tarred a future Hall of Famer and resulted in fines, a forfeited draft pick and a four-game suspension. They should have invoked the words "scheme" and "tamper" and "cheating" and "competitive integrity," even compared the offense to "performance-enhancing drugs."

Instead? Nothing. NFL execs were neither overwhelmed nor underwhelmed by the report of soft footballs. They weren't whelmed at all. Instead there was this throbbing stillness. Followed by an attempt at denial and misdirection. After Jay Glazer of Fox Sports broke the news that the Giants had gone to the league with measurements showing loss of air pressure, the NFL replied with a stiff-necked yet ducking statement: "The officiating game ball procedures were followed and there were no chain of command issues. All footballs were in compliance and no formal complaint was filed by the Giants with our office."

Ahhhhh. No "formal" complaint. As opposed to that by-the-book complaint lodged against the Patriots during the 2015 AFC Championship game, when Indianapolis Colts General Manager Ryan Grigson stuck his head into the NFL suite and bawled, "We're playing with a small ball." Which set off the most infamously ludicrous investigation in league history.

[Most read] We tested popular cellphones for radiofrequency radiation. Now the FCC is investigating. »
The league would have you think there is nothing to see here, that they never received PSI data from the Giants that might be exculpatory for the Patriots. Move along, folks. But Giants Coach Ben McAdoo blew the cover story when he admitted Sunday night that the Giants had in fact tested two balls and found them soft. "I don't know, the PSIs were a little low, so they checked them, and they just let me know they checked them," he said. Pro Football Talk's Mike Florio came along with a sourced report that one ball had measured 11.4 and another 11.8. Glazer reaffirmed that the Giants indeed "alerted" the league about the balls.

Now, there are two things to take from this. The first is obvious. You don't need a legion of scientists and lawyers to know what anyone with a car knows: Cold weather causes air pressure to drop in footballs, the same as it does in your tires. The only people who don't know that are hermetically sealed in Park Avenue offices and only travel by soft shoe and NFL limo. If Steelers footballs were underinflated, the most likely explanation is not that someone deflated them by hand but that the game was played in temperatures in the low 40s, with a wind chill of 28. Just as natural deflation is the most likely explanation for what happened in the AFC title game, when the Patriots' balls measured an average of 11.3 in wet, even colder weather.

The second point is less obvious: Somebody from the New York Giants stuck a needle into two footballs during a game last week to measure them. Which tells you that the NFL's ball-security procedures are not being followed, even now.

[Most read] Presidential hopeful Pete Buttigieg’s overwhelmingly white crowd at event on Chicago’s South Side reinforces his struggles to draw support from black voters »
But the NFL doesn't want to get into that. If it admits it received info from the Giants about low PSI, then it has to admit that maybe weather affected the inflation of footballs in other games, too.

It has to admit that league officials lacked command of seventh-grade science and that Goodell raced to judgment. It has to admit that a few whiffs of PSI aren't a game-altering factor, much less worth serious penalties. It has to admit that Goodell is not willing to pursue Art Rooney and Ben Roethlisberger over the air in a couple of footballs with the same energy.

It has to admit that Deflategate was not a fair process but just a ginned-up excuse to punish the Patriots in order to satisfy owner envy and internal politics. It has to admit that it has been covering up PSI data in order to save the last rags of Goodell's shredded reputation. It has to admit that the NFL under this commissioner has zero credibility left.

Legend
Legend
I’m not the one required to show hard evidence.

I didn’t deflate footballs, I didn’t get accused, I didn’t run the investigation, and I didn’t serve a 4 game suspension over it.

A private organization was in their right to make the rules, and they suspended Brady over it.

So you can cry all you want, the suspension, fines, and punishment to the team already happened.

Oh well buddy. Not my fault you have your patriots jersey on while typing all that nonsense.

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum NFL reinstates Josh Gordon

Link Copied to Clipboard