A
Legend
Legend
A
I have no problem whatsoever with that.

But, what's the real problem with guns?

Legend
Legend
This thread reminds me of an old Simpson's episode where Homer walks into a gun shop.

Homer: "I'll take this one"

Clerk: "Ok. There's a 5 day waiting period, then you can have it."

Homer: "But I'm mad NOW!"

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

humans

No Craps Given
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

The same problem with bombs. They are not dangerous until some nutcase picks them up. THe thing is that nutcases will ALWAYS find a way to kill people. Guns are not even close to being the scariest thing those nut cases can get a hold of.

You can't fix stupid but you can destroy ignorance. When you destroy ignorance you remove the justifications for evil. If you want to destroy evil then educate our people. Hate is a tool of the stupid to deal with what they can't understand.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Don't know the statistic, but I remembers reading after they passed it - violent crime went down.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I echo what seems to be a majority of people on here. I am a supporter of the second amendment; but a person should be able to pass a background check, be trained to safely use, hold, store a gun... and periodically demonstrate that they continually meet those standards.

I can't cite anywhere to back this next part up... it's just a belief of mine. I believe that our rights (in this case, rights granted by the Constitution) also come with responsibilities. You do have the right to own a gun, but that can't be separated from the responsibility to execute your gun ownership responsibly.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: TTTDawg
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I was talking about open carry. I'm not sure how the law works on that. Do you have to have training to open carry?

Zero training is required in Ohio.

Didn't know that. How long has open carry/zero training been in effect in Ohio?

Or has it been in effect since Columbus sailed the ocean blue or?

Since statehood?

Never knew that.

Yes it has been in effect since I was a kid so about the same time as Columbus laugh

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
I was talking about open carry. I'm not sure how the law works on that. Do you have to have training to open carry?

I find that to be worrisome.

WHY??? If somebody is going to carry a gun wouldn't you rather see it and know about it than have it hidden?

Legend
Legend

WHY??? If somebody is going to carry a gun wouldn't you rather see it and know about it than have it hidden?

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll say what I said above.

If you see a dude with a gun on his hip at the local Arby's, he's probably not robbing the place. Most robberies involve a ski mask/hoodie and a hidden gun, they don't want you expecting/seeing anything. So, what's the benefit of seeing the good guy with a gun?

Also, the bad guys see him and his gun too. A criminal would disarm him first with their illegal gun or get his gun from him with force and then rob the place using his gun. Criminals look for open carry.

I'm sure there's a time and place to open carry (officer, security guard and possibly at home) but a citizen carrying a gun in public should always be concealed, IMO.

As long as you've been cleared by the state to conceal a gun, I don't see why anyone needs to know that. Also, you should be allowed to carry mostly everywhere. The concept that putting up a "gun free zone" sticker means the bad guys won't bring their guns in is stupid. They are criminals, they don't follow laws. A private business should want good guys with guns there. Meh...I have to stop my rant.

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:
...So, what's the benefit of seeing the good guy with a gun?

Also, the bad guys see him and his gun too. A criminal would disarm him first with their illegal gun or get his gun from him with force and then rob the place using his gun. Criminals look for open carry.

I'm sure there's a time and place to open carry (officer, security guard and possibly at home) but a citizen carrying a gun in public should always be concealed, IMO.

I feel the same way. I got into some heated discussions on the Ohio concealed carry forums over this. I'm all for 2A rights, but I don't think the public will ever be ready for open carry. Also, I'd rather have potential criminals wonder who's carrying and who isn't, vs. knowing who is.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
What a coincidence. I just heard this yesterday.

worth a listen.

https://www.cafe.com/stay-tuned-gunning-for-the-2nd-amendment-with-michael-waldman/

I finally had a chance to listen to this, and I couldn't get it to play. frown Could you give a brief rundown of what he discussed?

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:
Also, you should be allowed to carry mostly everywhere.

I dont feel guns belong in any place where alcohol is served.

No Craps Given
A
Legend
Legend
A
Having a gun if you've had anything to drink is a crime. Pretty sure a felony. At least, in Ohio.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Quote:
Also, you should be allowed to carry mostly everywhere.

I dont feel guns belong in any place where alcohol is served.

Here in Illinois, it's based on the percentage of revenue that a business takes in from alcohol sales. Essentially, a normal restaurant is okay but not a bar.

I don't drink or frequent those places, so it's not a big deal.

And yes, if you're drinking, you shouldn't be anywhere near a gun (or a car).

[Linked Image]

“...Iguodala to Curry, back to Iguodala, up for the layup! Oh! Blocked by James! LeBron James with the rejection!”
Legend
Legend
Quote:

I believe it would be hard to disarm somebody when your already dead. (Just my honest opinion)

Legend
Legend
Quote:

I believe it would be hard to disarm somebody when your already dead. (Just my honest opinion)

There's a golden rule of self defense, never draw from the drop. Meaning, if a bad guy has a gun pointed at you, you won't have the time to draw, aim and fire before lead is already going through you.

That's what I mean about open carrying. If the bad guy is scoping out the Arby's 3-5 minutes before announcing his robbery, he's going to draw on the open carrying guy first. No good guy should be drawing in that situation, unless they want to be shot.

A concealed good guy won't be targeted and may have time to draw on the bad guy to stop him from shooting someone in the restaurant.

The reality is, the bad guy makes the first move.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
and if said bad guy walks into a store and sees 3 guys carrying weapons he is going to go elsewhere before he draws on anybody.

L
Legend
Legend
L
How old is the Second Amendment?

Couple hundred years?

Feel free to tweak it every once in awhile, depending on the times.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
P
Legend
Legend
P

That wasn't my point at all. I have no problem with people carrying guns. And yes, I would rather know they're carrying than not.

My issue was about no training being required. There's too many "wannabes" around that could care less about having any training but rather they want to put on a show to indicate they're tough guys.

Hand guns by and large aren't made for hunting. The ones that are would be to big to carry. Like the Desert Eagle.

I think that logic dictates that if you're going to be carrying around a loaded weapon, those around you should be safe in knowing that you at least know how to handle and fire that weapon safely.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't want to get involved in this thread because I would never carry a gun, but I agree w/you that folks should have to have some training/classes in order to secure the right to carry.

I can't believe those laws are not already in place.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not really sure about the laws concerning open carry. GM filled me in on it. I'm taking it for granted that he's right. But yes, I certainly find that concerning.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, that is asking for trouble. If it is true, of course.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know about Ohio, but in Tennessee, the patron state of shooting things, we know something about guns. The name Volunteers comes from in every war through at least Korea, the highest percentage of population to volunteer for duty came from Tennessee, thus, the Volunteer State. Most of you didn't know that.

Here, to gain a carry/conceal permit you have to pass a background check and pass a gun proficiency course. The course entails you have to demonstrate you know how to load, unload or chamber your weapon. Also, show how you know how to lock it down, then show you know how to hit a target at 15 feet.

They don't have to be bulls eye (center chest), but they still need to be on a body sized torso target.

Now the state knows the person knows how to safely handle the weapon. They aren't with a record that makes them a serious danger, and they aren't going to simply spray lead 5 feet off target.

There you go Mr. Ballpeen, feel free to carry your weapon in any manner you wish. God Bless.

As has been said, some state limits, like in the days of the old west, you go in to a saloon or any business that posts, leave 'em at the door or in the car.. That's cool, that's their right as business owners, and I get it where people can get liquored up.

I never open carry. I know that bothers some people. I respect their wishes....and I don't want the bad person to know I carry. Makes me target 1AAA . I want to look like the old guy over there who isn't a threat.

Last edited by Ballpeen; 08/22/19 08:02 PM.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Quote:
I want to look like the old guy over there who isn't a threat.

saywhat

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I think that logic dictates that if you're going to be carrying around a loaded weapon, those around you should be safe in knowing that you at least know how to handle and fire that weapon safely.

Logic???? Hell we can't even use common sense in this country., let alone logic.

People take tests in this country to learn how to drive, yet how many can't drive? Can't remembers the laws when it comes to driving. Ignore speed limits, stop signs, drive while talking on the phone, texting, doing their hair or makeup, taking their eyes off the road, etc, etc, etc. Even if somebody passes a gun safety course that does not mean they will use the knowledge they learned.

P
Legend
Legend
P
At least you know they have it. Allowing anyone to open carry a gun with zero training or safety courses is moronic at best.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Remember that scene from "Jurassic Park" where Jeff Goldblum's character says "Life finds a way. Life always finds a way."

It's very true.
Unfortunately, it is also true for Stupid. Stupid finds a way. Stupid always finds a way.

Usually, this is seen as an invocation of Darwinism, but sometimes it isn't tongue

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
j/c:

No one open carries here in Ohio that I know of, it's just not done. If I saw someone? I'd probably walk the other way - quickly.

Every once in a while they will have a restaurant that has an open carry day (or night), but besides that? Pretty much nada.

Legend
Legend
At least you know they have it. Allowing anyone to open carry a gun with zero training or safety courses is moronic at best.

Lots of things in this life are moronic at best. If I ever get 6 to 8 hours to waste I will make you a list of some of them.

Legend
Legend
I found my way thumbsup

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's not a very good excuse for letting people walk around with a loaded gun that may have zero training.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
j/c:

No one open carries here in Ohio that I know of, it's just not done. If I saw someone? I'd probably walk the other way - quickly.

Why?

Unless they’re fidgeting with it, it won’t go off on its own and they’re not likely a mass shooter. So why bother quickly going the other way?

[Linked Image]

R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
In all fairness, it seems reasonable to not want someone to be able to kill you instantly within the next second from yards away with no possible defense.

Regardless of their likely mental stability.

Call me a control freak.

I never was comfortable getting my neck shaved by a barber with a straight edge.

Barbers used to do shaves. I liked the close shave but not the process.

Especially when the barber had a swastika tattooed on his forehead.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Punchsmack
Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20
j/c:

Why?

Unless they’re fidgeting with it, it won’t go off on its own and they’re not likely a mass shooter. So why bother quickly going the other way?

Because pretty much no one open carries around here and if they are they may very well be looking to shoot someone. IMHO

P.S. This isn't Disneyland where I live, this is the Greater Cleveland area. Better safe then sorry.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I saw a guy open carry in Sams Club with his wife and kids. He didn't shoot anybody at least while I was there. I also was carrying . I have a CCW and also didn't shoot anybody
If it scares you Pit maybe you should stay home.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Big, tough guys w/guns. Pfftttt...........

Legend
Legend
Quote:

If you weren't scared, maybe your gun would stay at home.

I've been to Sandusky. It didn't make me feel the need to roll strapped. Oh, wait- I was in Upper Sandusky. Never mind. Please- feel free to carry on- wit yo gangsta ass self.

#netflexin

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty
I saw a guy open carry in Sams Club with his wife and kids. He didn't shoot anybody at least while I was there. I also was carrying . I have a CCW and also didn't shoot anybody

bruh, you carry because you are scared though. if you werent acting like a wimp, then the gun would've stayed home.

i support CCW, but i also think you guys who did it arent doing society any favors. especially since yall tend to be the same ones waving your "rights" around in peoples faces.

im tired of people trying to act like CCW keeps everyone around them safe.

you carry cause it makes you feel like a badass.

you're the guy who just got found guilty for manslaugher in florida. shooting guys over a handicap parking spot and calling it self defense.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed. I would never carry a manufactured gun. I got two attached to my shoulders. LOL

Legend
Legend
bro i feel the same way.

i understand the need for protection and such...but damn. there's way too many people in this country who carry cause it makes them feel like a man.

i truly think some of them do it because of self esteem issues. the gun culture we have in this country is scary.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Ohio Considers Eliminating Concealed-Carry Permits

Link Copied to Clipboard