Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

It's interesting reading comments here-and-there about grooming Gilbert for future trade value. I'm just happy that he looks like a guy who could be a long-term answer as our #2 QB.

I don't think any team is jones-ing to trade for a 28+ year old journeyman-at-best QB who looks like a decent backup.

Legend
Legend
I agree; there’s no doubt Gilbert deserves a spot ... us even trying to get him onto the PS would be foolish. He’d be picked up quite quickly IMO.

Now, in terms of Stanton, I think we’ll keep him IF we think he’s that important to Baker/Gilbert’s growth. That’s what it’d come down to in my eyes

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I like Gilbert as the back-up, but I'm sure Stanton is going nowhere. He looked horrible in my eyes the first game, but for some reason the guy has a winning record as a back up. So there is that to think about. Plus he could be mentoring Gilbert also, which would be an asset to the QB room.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
C
Legend
Legend
C
Stanton has a winning record because he has had incredible luck. It has nothing to do with him being good.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Stanton has a winning record because he has had incredible luck. It has nothing to do with him being good.

I understand that, but winning does make a difference. Many back-ups like him float around the league and never have any success. He has. He may suck, but he did something right to give him that record.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
Totally with you, Eo. You say it better han I can sometimes.

I think Gilbert now at 2. I like Blough enough to PS him and run scouting prep.

We really needed Stanton last year for depth, mentoring, in-game help for BM. That time is past, so he is a luxury. Could we hire him? I think we can. Not sure he has the fire in his belly to be a starter. Maybe he does. But if you want to keep him as a player and the backup, I believe he has shown all he has. I do not feel it is enough or positioning us for backup going forward. Seems at odds with the "Consistency!" mantra Freddie preaches.

How refreshing to worry about this. Thanks, Eo.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

I understand that, but winning does make a difference. Many back-ups like him float around the league and never have any success. He has. He may suck, but he did something right to give him that record.

The thing he did right was play for a team with a good defense. That’s it. His winning record is not indicative of his play.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Don't forget he hands the ball off real well... wink

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Stanton is a coach. He is great for that room. No different than McCown was. But, we don't want to rely on him. He was pretty bad when I was at camp and at the O&B Scrimmage. Multiple missed cues, terrible throws. Keep him, use him for his coaching abilities, but god forbid BM goes down...you gotta play Gilbert.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

What do you guys make of Gilbert not playing last night?

Was it because they think they can sneak him onto the Practice Squad and no one will take him? I doubt if that strategy would work.

Was it because he has wrapped up the #2 job?

It couldn't be that he is going to get cut...right?

P
Legend
Legend
P
I have no clue but I certainly though he made the most of his opportunities when he was on the field. I don't understand it and I'm not sure if it really told us anything.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was looking forward to seeing him last night. Oh well.

I just don't like Stanton's arm.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Stanton looked and has looked horrible.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

Was it because they think they can sneak him onto the Practice Squad and no one will take him? I doubt if that strategy would work.

Eventual trade bait?

You're right, I don't believe he would last long on the PS. Keep him as an active #3 for awhile, and see who comes knocking?

I would guess he'll be auditioning for someone on 8/29. I'd hoped it would be for our #2, but Kitchens has said otherwise.

Cutting him outright would disappoint me.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I actually think that he'll be the #3 initially. I also think he outplayed Stanton in pre-season games, but I sorta understand why Stanton would be the backup.

If, God forbid, Baker gets hurt, Stanton would be the first guy off the bench, but he'd have a short leash. IMO, of course.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I think Stanton was playing for his job last night to be honest .... he may be cut now

I think Gilbert is already the backup QB and will get all of next week

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'd hope... I don't think we need to carry 3 QBs. However, it's entirely plausible that we carry 3 QBs with Gilbert remaining inactive each week. If Baker is injured for any length of time, Gilbert will get the start with Stanton backing up.

I think it all depends if we think we can still win with Gilbert and how much Baker needs/wants Stanton on the sidelines with him.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I think Stanton was playing for his job last night to be honest .... he may be cut now

I think Gilbert is already the backup QB and will get all of next week

I hope you're right. IMO, there's no way you should keep a 35 year old career backup with a 66.3 QB rating over a 28 year old with a live arm, prototype size, and some legitimate upside.

Legend
Legend
I agree Dave ... Stanton really shouldn’t be on the roster to be honest, at least from an actual playing standpoint

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I do not see how he would be getting cut. That would make me really question the front office/coaches.

I agree that he would not be long for the practice squad. I think he makes the team. Stanton's actual play is not a part of his value and I do not think we can afford to have him as a part of the roster if it means not being able to keep Gilbert.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
It probably won't happen, but I am in favor of only keeping two QBs. Baker and Gilbert. I would cut Stanton. If the Browns like Blough, they could put him on the PS.

Legend
Legend
Same here ... I’d cut Stanton and save a roster spot

R
Legend
Legend
R
My suspicion is Stanton still wants to play. The Browns still want him to be a mentor to Baker. The Browns are stuck. Cut him and he goes elsewhere. Therefore, cutting him in the Browns eyes isn't really an option.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
My suspicion is Stanton still wants to play. The Browns still want him to be a mentor to Baker. The Browns are stuck. Cut him and he goes elsewhere. Therefore, cutting him in the Browns eyes isn't really an option.

U have to add to that Freddie was the QB coach in Zona when they kept two and then had to finish a game with no QB and then signed guys on Monday/Tuesday and they started for them 2 or 3 weeks in a row ....

Freddie mentioned that al least once in a presser ...

Will be interesting to see how this shakes out ....

TICK TOCK ... . LETS GOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A

There are a few teams that might like Gilbert. I like Gilbert for our #2 for the next two seasons. But I agree with the above.

Unless Stanton retires (still wanting to play or not).

Legend
Legend
Yeah, my guess is if we release Stanton somebody will pick him up to play ... and a player’s paycheck is a heck of a lot more than a coachs’

C
Legend
Legend
C
If Baker needs Drew Stanton around to be the best QB he can be then we have bigger problems than potentially cutting Drew Stanton.

R
Legend
Legend
R
If Baker needs Drew Stanton around to be the best QB he can be then we have bigger problems than potentially cutting Drew Stanton.

This doesn't make any sense. Just because Stanton can't play the position doesn't mean he can't teach it.

C
Legend
Legend
C

This doesn't make any sense. Just because Stanton can't play the position doesn't mean he can't teach it.

Can he teach it better than Todd Monken, Ryan Lindley, and/or Freddie Kitchens? I am usually of the opinion that you hire coaches for a reason.

R
Legend
Legend
R
We will find out when the cuts come.

Whether Stanton stays or goes, we'll have our answer.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Stanton is not going anywhere and neither is Gilbert. Freddie will carry 3 QBs on the 53 man roster.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I think that's the way it will turn out.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Stanton is not going anywhere and neither is Gilbert. Freddie will carry 3 QBs on the 53 man roster.

I agree this is what will happen. I just don’t think Drew Stanton should be on the team because he is basically unplayable.

P
Legend
Legend
P
There's only one issue you seem to be neglecting to consider here. And yeah, I would be MUCH happier with Gilbert as the back up myself.

But what you seem to be forgetting is the players union contract. The NFLPA and the NFL have a contractual agreement that limits the time that coaches can spend working with players. Both on the field and in the classroom.

Those same limitations do not exist between players. Having someone like Stanton allows for more time to be spent working with Baker that coaches aren't allowed to do simply because of contract constraints.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

I agree this is what will happen. I just don’t think Drew Stanton should be on the team because he is basically unplayable.

Stanton on the 53, but Gilbert as the backup on the game day roster?

C
Legend
Legend
C

Stanton on the 53, but Gilbert as the backup on the game day roster?

If we are to believe Freddie Kitchens, no.

C
Legend
Legend
C
During the off-season? Sure. Now? No constraints.

Last edited by cfrs15; 08/30/19 12:49 PM.
Legend
Legend
I agree ... My hope: Stanton gets cut ... My reality: He stays

O
Legend
Legend
O
Unless Baker really needs Stanton input during games we should keep the other two because they both show promise. Even Blough looked as good as Kessler last night. And Gilbert could start for some teams.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Backup Quarterback?

Link Copied to Clipboard