Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
It was almost comical with the amount of penalties ... and ones that’ were personal fouls were just plain dumb

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
It's not easy to execute the game plan when it's 2nd and 18 all afternoon

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c..

Where was Hollywood Higgins after the first couple series? Did not see him in the game.

He was Baker's go-to target on the first drive.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I dunno but Ratley had a couple catches.

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Apparently something Vrabel picked up from Bill and Urban were mind games. The Titans were in our guys' heads the whole game.

Myles blatantly swings at the guy after constantly getting uncalled hands to the face every other play. Robinson kicks after guys are constantly "inadvertently" rolling into our OLs' legs after plays.

They need to learn to "beat up" guys within the rules. At least show a little bit of discretion.

I'm still not sure about the OPI on OBJ. I saw him try to pull away, not extend an arm. That was really a turning point. It looked like we might bounce back, but then got the momentum stomped by a flag. Not sure when I'll subject myself to that game again to take a closer look.

I'm sure Gregg Williams is gonna see if his guys can get under the skin of our guys next week. Hopefully we can figure out how to stay composed.

So far I'm not impressed with how the offensive melding looks. Too many slow developing plays.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c..

Where was Hollywood Higgins after the first couple series? Did not see him in the game.

He was injured but came back in the game later. He might have gone out again when Ratley started to play.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
It's not easy to execute the game plan when it's 2nd and 18 all afternoon

Our team is stacked with talent. They arent commiting fouls because they cant keep up. They committed fouls because they are tremendously undisciplined.

Its on the coach to prepare the team.

But if you want to keep making lame excuses for them, well, I guess thats on you.

No Craps Given
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Hey, there's a silver lining!

The last Coach to struggle with penalties on the Browns?

A certain Mr. Bill Bellicheck, the GOAT.

Not saying it's a guarantee, but being overwhelmed as a first time coach doesn't necessarily last your whole career.

L
Legend
Legend
L
OTOH:

In spite of all the penalties, we were only then by 2 after njoku's td.

gmstrong

-----------------

myka #1660048 09/08/19 09:01 PM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Yes, they can learn from this. They better.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
I am okay with Lawrence’s unsportsmanlike penalty after reading what Scott Petrak said in a tweet. I can’t repeat it.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
OTOH:

In spite of all the penalties, we were only then by 2 after njoku's td.

So this makes all the penalties ok?

How about if we had a dicsiplined team? We would have stomped them.

I would prefer to have those 200 yards back.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
J/c

There’s NO doubt the Titans had the mental edge all game ... whether that was motivation, preparation, momentum, etc ... they kicked our butts from basically the 2nd possession onward

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c..

He was injured but came back in the game later. He might have gone out again when Ratley started to play.

Thanks. I had not heard his injury announced during the game.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Yes. It excuses all the penalties.

That's precisely what I said in my post.

gmstrong

-----------------

Legend
Legend
Watching a lot of other games, OL’s are not nearly as bad as ours ... today our OTs were exceptionally bad. Especially when GRob came out

L
Legend
Legend
L
I know, right?

You lose a starting LT, and then another OL.... what could go wrong?

gmstrong

-----------------

R
Legend
Legend
R
I am okay with Lawrence’s unsportsmanlike penalty after reading what Scott Petrak said in a tweet. I can’t repeat it.

This should be investigated by the league.

It also makes me believe that what I saw with my eyes - that penalties were not called evenly between the teams - legit.

I'm just trying to think … what did the Browns do to piss off the officials? Are they also mad we've been getting hype?

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Logical fallacy Dicto Simpliciter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Watching a lot of other games, OL’s are not nearly as bad as ours ... today our OTs were exceptionally bad. Especially when GRob came out

A lot of this can be mitigated by the play calling.

Another poster on the OBR kept using the term "hero ball". Freddie was too concerned with playing hero ball. I think that label is appropriate. Too concerned with the big strike.

LOL - The Rish will be upset with this news as well. KS just doesn't prioritize winning...
Legend
Legend
Good point .. titans were efficient, deliberate, smart, conservative, etc ... signs of a coaching staff that is the same .. ours was the complete opposite .. pass happy, fling it around, no rhythm, etc

1st String
1st String
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

It also makes me believe that what I saw with my eyes - that penalties were not called evenly between the teams - legit.

I'm just trying to think … what did the Browns do to piss off the officials? Are they also mad we've been getting hype?
that doesn't surprise me.the NFL has been the worst officiated pro league for long time now

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: CalDawg
Quote:

Sorry to get in the way of your homerism.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend

I think it will be looked into. As far as the game not being called the same...I really can’t say. I know Burns on Twitter compared the crack back block Robinson committed (I think it was bs) to the block on the screen that went for a td. I didn’t see much difference.

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
Their lineman tackled our guy - after holding him - and Henry was off to the races.

Edit: turning point of the game, after we pulled to within 2

Last edited by lampdogg; 09/08/19 09:27 PM.

gmstrong

-----------------

R
Legend
Legend
R
I noticed that plus several holds that weren't called.

I have a weird complaint about the officials this game. It's not that I disagreed with their calls on the Browns. Most were legit. They just didn't call the same stuff on the Titans.

Now that we are talking about it more I wonder if that's what caused the Browns to unravel mentally. In football when the players feel the officials are being unfair, there's no recourse like in basketball where you can complain and vent. The action is moving too fast.

I wonder if the team just was getting fed up with it.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Quote:

Just pointing out your nonsense.

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Quote:

Whatever makes you feel better honey.

No Craps Given
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I noticed that plus several holds that weren't called.

I have a weird complaint about the officials this game. It's not that I disagreed with their calls on the Browns. Most were legit. They just didn't call the same stuff on the Titans.

Now that we are talking about it more I wonder if that's what caused the Browns to unravel mentally. In football when the players feel the officials are being unfair, there's no recourse like in basketball where you can complain and vent. The action is moving too fast.

I wonder if the team just was getting fed up with it.

Anyone who's played low level sports (I stopped after High School, and in college/postcollege played a lot of Intramural/basketball/flag football) knows that the refs are horrible.

It's not their fault, they're usually working for free or very cheap and have little to no training.

After a 1-2 hour game in which your team keeps getting the short straw you start to get really mad and there's nothing you can do about it. It can lead to some mental gaffes which make your team lose big, but you were probably gonna lose anyways.

This shouldn't be happening at the Pro level (both the Refs and players should know better), but it DID.

Today was FOR SURE effected by unfair officiating.

It was actually even more egregious than the already insane stats would suggest, because the Refs threw in 3 penalties at the end of the game on the Titans just to make it look less "cheaty".

Not sure why the NFL Refs always seem to go against us, hopefully it's because of all the betting this week cuz of our hype and for the rest of the season maybe we can get it to be fair?

I dunno. Suggesting the sport is rigged is crazy, but also not acknowledging what we see with our own eyes seems crazy to me too. Not sure what to think anymore!

myka #1660089 09/08/19 09:57 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: myka
Hey, there's a silver lining!

The last Coach to struggle with penalties on the Browns?

A certain Mr. Bill Bellicheck, the GOAT.

Not saying it's a guarantee, but being overwhelmed as a first time coach doesn't necessarily last your whole career.

Do you want to compare Bill Bellichic's pre hire resume, before he became coach of the Browns in 90?, with Kitchens'?, or anybody? or compare that Nick Saban was then/once the Browns DC,

I see I'm just being argumentative, but there's no need to compare, let each man stand on his own career.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I said this in another thread (and j/c) but am I wrong with this statement: Myles Garrett had little effect on today’s game? I even noticed a few times when he was ONE on ONE against their LT (and remember, their regular LT was out)

L
Legend
Legend
L
Myles had two sacks, and they ran or looked to pass away from him.

gmstrong

-----------------

T
Legend
Legend
T
General Thought.
Browns are not going to "(ever)" sign a more high profile free agent WR than Beckham,

They aren't going to get a more apt, pass rusher than Myles Garrett,
They aren't going to get a better 1st,+2nd year Qb than Baker,
They aren't going to expect more of a rookie Rb than Chubb provided,

And I could say the same thing about Callaway, the Cb's probably all over, except maybe the Safety position,

:,

The Point being, it's not so much finding the player, that's not on the team yet,
It's finding a way to teach, the people you already have, how to play a game as a group, that is a winning effort.

And there is so much into that, I mean where could you start.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
Correct.

gmstrong

-----------------

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Quote:

Whatever makes you feel better honey.

Has nothing to do with my feelings, sweetheart.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Thanks, I remembered the one ... not that he had two

Legend
Legend
Nice points ... I mean let’s be honest: The Talent is there! It’s been years since we can say that ... our offense has NO excuse to be that bad. We should NEVER give up 43 points to the Titans!

I’m not totally shocked we lost, but the way we got dismantled was alarming

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
General Thought.
Browns are not going to "(ever)" sign a more high profile free agent WR than Beckham,

They aren't going to get a more apt, pass rusher than Myles Garrett,
They aren't going to get a better 1st,+2nd year Qb than Baker,
They aren't going to expect more of a rookie Rb than Chubb provided,

And I could say the same thing about Callaway, the Cb's probably all over, except maybe the Safety position,

:,

The Point being, it's not so much finding the player, that's not on the team yet,
It's finding a way to teach, the people you already have, how to play a game as a group, that is a winning effort.

And there is so much into that, I mean where could you start.

I agree. I think this coaching staff gets 1 season. If it doesnt end well then we will get new coaches. Cant let all this talent go to waste. People would be lining up to coach here.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Thanks, I remembered the one ... not that he had two

His second sack was when Mariota dove on the ground so Miles wouldn’t hit him

#gmstrong
1st String
1st String
Glad I was at work for this one. First game of season, so I won't make a big deal of it. Hopefully these guys from the coaching staff to the players got humbled today and can focus on the Jets.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Titans 43 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard