Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
The fans boo'ed the refs off the filed at the end of the half. Some talking head(s) tried to say that the fans were booing the team...they weren't...the team was all but gone from the filed and the refs were the last to leave.

Just want to get that out there before that BS claim crops up.

L
Legend
Legend
L
MKC wrote that in one of her 'stories' and I thought she was, as usual, FOS.

The fans were booing the officials.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Agreed. The refs should have been booed and held accountable. They made a lot of bad calls, behaved irrationally, and missed a lot of penalties on the Titans.

Last edited by tastybrownies; 09/09/19 07:05 PM.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
I’m tired of NFL officiating .. it seems like every week there’s controversy, over managing the game, inconsistency, etc. Our games seem to have more of it probably just because I watch it more lol, but it gets very old

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

I didn't see any big issues w/the officiating. Brown's fans are always whining about officiating. The team committed a ton of stupid penalties and stunk. Deflecting blame to the refs is lame.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I think the biggest problem with officiating is the fact is they want it to be too precise when it just needs to be there to protect players.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

I didn't see any big issues w/the officiating. Brown's fans are always whining about officiating. The team committed a ton of stupid penalties and stunk. Deflecting blame to the refs is lame.

The OPI on Beckham before the half was bogus. 21 held him the whole way down the field and lost his balance when OBJ snatched his arm back. He pulled it out of his grip, there wasn't a downfield motion. Butler couldn't stop his momentum and stumbled.

Other than that the 1st half officiating wasn't too bad. The blindside block was borderline, but whatever. Both were close. It was only "blindside" because the defender turned away at the last second and was trying to "defend himself". Their's may not have been a blindside block but was definitely at least a hold.

We really missed Robinson. He was shutting his man down and knocking them around. The shuffle after he left killed us. Guys weren't familiar with each other and Hubbard looked rather uncomfortable switching up sides.

One problem with Baker's height is he doesn't seem comfortable stepping up in the pocket. He tends to drift back at times. This is especially problematic when tackles are struggling with speed and trying to push edge rushers past him. He needs to watch how Brees manipulates the pocket.

They called the most garbage holds on us that they were letting Tennessee get away with in the 2nd half. Super ticky tack and had no bearing on the play. Mainly the ones on Harris.

Baker had some bad throws. And he needs to see the corner blitz.

His timing and chemistry with Beckham is off. It's not really surprising considering they hadn't really played together at game speed.

Lots to clean up, but we're not as bad as it felt live.

Baker should have lots of bulletin board material. Not that he should need any more motivation.

Need to see how they respond, but it might be good for us that it happened now.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
R
Legend
Legend
R
The Titans were lobbying for calls because they knew the officials were favoring them. I've never seen so much lobbying in an NFL game before.

It was total NBA style.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Okay, apparently OBJ wore a $250,000 watch during the game. The NFL spoke to him about it. They said they don't have rules against jewelry, but do have a rule against hard objects.

Freddie says:

Quote:
"I was not aware he had the watch on," Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said Monday. "As long as they're going to enforce [the rules] with everyone, I'm fine with it. Let's just make sure we get it enforced with everybody."

Not a fan of that statement. Your team was undisciplined. Crying about the refs is lame.

Legend
Legend
I don't see that as "whining" at all. I see it as a pretty straightforward statement.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Actually Freddie went out of his way to say that officiating had no impact on the game and they would never use officiating as an excuse.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Quote:
1. The Browns’ first game under Freddie Kitchens was a mess, but don’t hit the panic button just yet. Losing to the Titans by 30 wasn’t exactly the start that Cleveland was looking for after an offseason filled with hype, but the game wasn’t nearly as ugly as the 43-13 final score might suggest. Baker Mayfield’s short touchdown pass to David Njoku with 2:10 left in the third quarter had cut the Titans’ lead to two. Then Derrick Henry took a screen pass 75 yards for a touchdown on the very next play, and the wheels really started to fall off. On the next Browns drive, Mayfield followed up Henry’s score with his first of three fourth-quarter interceptions, and Cleveland’s offense was left scrambling for the rest of the game.

That pick—hauled in by All-Pro safety Kevin Byard—came on a second-and-14 play that illustrated the sort of tough down-and-distance situations Cleveland faced all day. The Browns finished the game with 18 penalties for 182 yards. You read that right. Several of those penalties came on defense, but multiple offensive drives were torpedoed by early-down flags. One possible explanation for the penalties is that Kitchens didn’t have his team properly prepared, but it’s just as likely that this is a one-game aberration.

More concerning than the Browns’ penalties, though, was their pass protection. The offensive line got roasted a few times by a talented Titans front that deployed several creative pressure packages from underrated coordinator Dean Pees. Right tackle Chris Hubbard, in particular, had issues handling Cameron Wake coming off the edge, and losing left tackle Greg Robinson after he was ejected for kicking a Titans defender in the head late in the second quarter didn’t help matters. But it’s hard to put all the blame on the guys up front. Mayfield regularly held on to the ball too long in the pocket, including on the second-quarter sack that resulted in a safety. Until the All-22 tape becomes available later this week, it’ll be hard to know for certain what caused Mayfield’s hesitation throughout the day. But generally, it felt like a quarterback—and an entire offense—that was trying too hard to produce big plays down the field against a defense that was sending extra heat.

Mayfield still had his share of impressive throws, including a beautiful strike down the seam to Rashard Higgins in the first quarter that he placed away from the single high safety inside, and a deep shot to Jarvis Landry down the right sideline that set up the Njoku touchdown. Odell Beckham Jr. and Nick Chubb also looked like their normal, explosive selves, and overall this offense should be fine. But Sunday was a brutal start for Kitchens and Co.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/9/9/2...ardinals-titans

V
Legend
Legend
V
We see it differently. The part about enforcing it the same way for everyone is whining, as if we got screwed yesterday. It was not the refs fault that we lost that game.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Did you listen to the presser?

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I'm wondering if Freddie is going to hold his players accountable..for anything. I'm also wondering if the OBJ trade was worth it. I think we would have looked better yesterday with Zietler back and maybe used those resources on some offensive tackles. superconfused

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Knight
I'm wondering if Freddie is going to hold his players accountable..for anything. I'm also wondering if the OBJ trade was worth it. I think we would have looked better yesterday with Zietler back and maybe used those resources on some offensive tackles. superconfused

This thought crossed my mind as well.

I'll be honest with you though I'm more upset with the Fells for Harris swap. Just dumb.

C
Legend
Legend
C

We got OBJ for Peppers and a first. Zeitler was for Vernon. They combined the trade and made it one transaction.

It's one game.

Legend
Legend
JC

“We’re not going to make excuses for our penalties,’’ he said. “We chose to do the things that we did to create those penalties. We are not going to complain about the officiating. Fans have every right to have their opinions. We’re not going to create excuses for them."

#notcrying

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T

Vernon played 92 percent of the snaps...and failed to put up any stats (not even an assist or anything, He got owned by Conklin) He did have that pressure on Mariota, which Whitehead ruined.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

We got OBJ for Peppers and a first. Zeitler was for Vernon. They combined the trade and made it one transaction.

It's one game.

LoL, I might even take Peppers back. At least he's willing to put his hat on someone.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Actually Freddie went out of his way to say that officiating had no impact on the game and they would never use officiating as an excuse.

On the Browns’ penalties:

“I did not see that coming. That is not how we practiced. That is not how we prepared. I did not do a very good job of making sure that we did not have penalties. That is just as much the coaches’ fault, my fault, players’ faults. Everybody takes some blame for that.”

On if the Browns need to change something significant to improve discipline next week:

“No, we are not going to change anything. We are going to keep preparing the way we prepare and we are going to keep working. We have done a good job of identifying a problem during training camp. We will identify the problem with the penalties, and we will correct those problems. We are not changing anything. I believe in what we are doing. Our players believe in what we are doing. We had a lot of situations we put ourselves in today that made it very difficult to get to the point where we could overcome some of the things that we were doing wrong. We are not going to change anything. We are going to keep staying to course, keep our head down and keep working. We are just going to identify the problem and the reason why these penalties happened, and we are going rectify the problem.”

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/09...transcript.html

E
Legend
Legend
E
What at a bunch of word soup. Either fix it or get out.

No Craps Given
L
Legend
Legend
L
Did anyone notice the Titans guy grab baker's face mask on that sack, the one after the phantom sack?

It was incidental and happened fast, but should have been called.

The officials are trying to do a good job, the athletes move fast and things happen quick in the NFL, so things will be missed.

We beat ourselves yesterday.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
R
Legend
Legend
R
I believe these two things to be true about the game yesterday...

1. The Browns did not lose the game because of the officials.
2. The officials did not call the game evenly on both sides. Once the Titans realized this they kept pushing the envelope. Cleveland then proceeded to melt down.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
I want to see the league office address what was said in an altercation between one of the officials and our player Devaroe Lawrence. I've yet to hear anything yet.

If some of you aren't familiar with Lawrence or his penalty, god knows there were a lot yesterday, he was the one that said something to the ref and a flag came out in the 2nd half. I can't post the whole thing uncensored but most of this is from Scott Petrak's Twitter account:

"Here's what Browns DT Devaroe Lawrence told me about his 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct."

"Official to him: Watch where the f*** you're going."

"Lawrence: f*** you."

I mean Lawrence could be lying but if true I've never heard of officials behaving like this. I want them to be held accountable to a professional standard. I don't think that's too much to ask. Refs should not be allowed to talk to the players like that at all.

Last edited by tastybrownies; 09/09/19 11:21 PM.

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Legend
Legend
I don't know for sure if it happened or not ...... but there are a lot of young officials in the games now, as a lot of the veteran officials have retired recently.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

From Zac Jackson....

That the Browns displayed an embarrassing lack of discipline that included 18 penalties for 182 (!) yards and Greg Robinson’s ejection for kicking Kenny Vaccaro in the head?

After a preseason in which Freddie Kitchens repeatedly said the Browns did “not practice penalties” and that penalties would cost the Browns games, the most alarming part of Sunday’s mess might be this explanation from Vaccaro after the game about his incident with Robinson.

“We’re just taught on this team, no dumb penalties,” Vaccaro said. “(Mike) Vrabel just preaches that all the time. The second guy is always the guy to get caught. I didn’t really start anything (with Robinson), but at the same time, if you respond to guys you’re gonna get flagged. Coach does a great job getting that message across.

“We were the least-penalized team in the league last year. That’s being coached. That’s the culture. That’s what Vrabel is preaching, and that’s what we do.”

B
Legend
Legend
B
Moral of the story: Start it, don't finish it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

There is a ton of talk about the officiating and about the OL.

There is very little talk about Baker's three interceptions and holding the ball too long, as well as a change in scheme where we are not helping the OL w/TEs and RBs and plays that take longer to develop.

Priorities. LOL

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
A lot of empty backfields and spread formations when we had a line that was suspect before the tackles went out. Looked like Todd Haley was calling plays again. Pass, pass, pass with a predictable run thrown in.

Legend
Legend
The offense looked very similar to the way it did last year right before we fired Hue an Haley .. Baker looked like he was regressing because we were holding the ball, having long developing plays, etc ... same thing we saw in week 1. The ball has to be out quicker. He’s gotta be faster with his progressions. And if he’s not ready for all of that, then simplify it and give him more protection.
A lot of empty backfields and spread formations when we had a line that was suspect before the tackles went out. Looked like Todd Haley was calling plays again. Pass, pass, pass with a predictable run thrown in.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Freddie will get the O fixed and rocking over the next few games .. I feel like fans should be concerned about Steve Wilks and his 4/2/5 .. Avery inactive ?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Vrabel is a dirty coach (and player). He was celebrating Robinsons ejection. He knew that was their game plan to get into the heads of our players.

It was all primed with D. Walker before the game. He also inticed MG to take a swing at him.

I hope to God that we get to see them in the playoffs.

Last edited by FL_Dawg; 09/10/19 07:31 AM.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Freddie will get the O fixed and rocking over the next few games .. I feel like fans should be concerned about Steve Wilks and his 4/2/5 .. Avery inactive ?

Run defense wasn't the problem.

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

From Zac Jackson....

After a preseason in which Freddie Kitchens repeatedly said the Browns did “not practice penalties”

I'm thinking they did practice penalties, committing them was one thing we did excel at.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
No doubt that was part of their plan ... he knew we’d be over emotional, undisciplined and with no experience together. They are the exact opposite team.

Truth be told, it was not a good game for us to start with. If we play them later this year we’d beat them by 2 TDs. But their patience, experience, etc. overmatched us (and our coach)

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
j/c:

There is a ton of talk about the officiating and about the OL.

There is very little talk about Baker's three interceptions and holding the ball too long, as well as a change in scheme where we are not helping the OL w/TEs and RBs and plays that take longer to develop.

Priorities. LOL

The priority is for people discussing their postgame thoughts. None of which you have even come close to refuting or addressing other than some passive aggressive pushing of your agenda.

I'm guessing you weren't at the game...otherwise you would have seen the things that you claim are NOT uneven officiating and perhaps could explain why the Titans DBs were allowed to contact our receivers 10 yards downfield and how their banged up OL never got called for the numerous hooks on our players while our holds were regularly called.

What's lame is refuting someone's opinion when you cannot say WHAT is actually lame. Lame is commenting when you don't know what you didn't see but commenting anyway...and with only the word "lame" as your proof/argument.

For those interested in what might have been seen 'live' rather than a constant-victim's agenda push...I'll say that Rishuz hit the nail on the head with this:

"I believe these two things to be true about the game yesterday...

1. The Browns did not lose the game because of the officials.
2. The officials did not call the game evenly on both sides. Once the Titans realized this they kept pushing the envelope. Cleveland then proceeded to melt down."

The Titans played dirty and got away with it...when we retaliated with our own dirty play, it was a penalty.

Look at the head slap by Garrett and see that D Walker punched/hit him in the head first. The Robinson ejection-seat was started when Vaccarro shoved him over after the play had ended.

That is part of the Titans M.O. and they played it - and us plus the refs - very well. You know why we couldn't get push from our vaunted DL? Holding by the OL will make any OL look great. You know whey we had trouble getting WRs open and to their depth/spots? Holding by the DBs will slow the progression of the route/play. Things that one often cannot see from the TV. As the game progressed, the Titans were comfortable that they could do pretty-much whatever they wanted and we were playing on skates with no ability to fight back.

He should have overcome that BS but we didn't. We should not have HAD to overcome that BS but we did. THE REFS DID NOT LOSE THE GAME FOR US...but the nature of how things flowed made it exceptionally difficult for us to do what we needed to do to overcome the effort.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
The offense looked very similar to the way it did last year right before we fired Hue an Haley .. Baker looked like he was regressing because we were holding the ball, having long developing plays, etc ... same thing we saw in week 1. The ball has to be out quicker. He’s gotta be faster with his progressions. And if he’s not ready for all of that, then simplify it and give him more protection.

Two very good summaries of why the O struggled.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
Vrabel is a dirty coach (and player). He was celebrating Robinsons ejection. He knew that was their game plan to get into the heads of our players.

It was all primed with D. Walker before the game. He also inticed MG to take a swing at him.

thats coaching 101 though. get into the enemy's head. i mean thats standard stuff.

and Vrabel isn't the reason our LT decided to kick someone in the head.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg

This is a deflection of the real issue. We were ill disciplined and we gave up nearly 2 football fields. Take that away, however, and they still beat us fair and square. We were terrible on all fronts. Even our much touted defense did very little.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2019 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 13 Titans 43 Postgame Thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard