Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Forgetting about the cost, WTF is the point of wearing a watch? I mean really, do you have somewhere more important to be?

Sadly, I'm thinking it's still the....."All About Odell Show".

Not a soul can convince me that it's not a distraction whatsoever from the "100% focus" needed in Berea.

Dunno

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I'm going to keep a close watch on it.

I see what you did there. smile

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Forgetting about the cost, WTF is the point of wearing a watch? I mean really, do you have somewhere more important to be?

I noticed U of Tennessee's QB wearing a watch on Saturday and thought how stupid it was, and here we are.

I was thinking that perhaps Odell has a contract with that manufacturer to be seen wearing it -- all publicity is good publicity.

I mean, before this, who the heck ever even heard of this company??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Legend
Legend
D
They have “agreements” with many pro athletes ... not sure what agreements actually means in this case ... a free watch ... getting paid for endorsing or some combo .. no clue ...

The deal is they wear them when their playing their sport .. they have to wear them when their actually playing ....

many watch companies are involved with golfers ... thats how i know what i do know about this witch is limited but more than most on here appear to know ...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I noticed U of Tennessee's QB wearing a watch on Saturday and thought how stupid it was, and here we are.

I was thinking that perhaps Odell has a contract with that manufacturer to be seen wearing it -- all publicity is good publicity.

I thought the same thing, but we may never know for sure if he did so and signed a confidentiality clause contract.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I meant tennis players not golfers ...

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C

From what I read, he does not have a contract with them. Maybe he is hoping to get one. Rafael Nadal does have a contract with them, he had on a $750k Richard Mille in the French Open.

I've heard of them, but I also love high-end watches. Can't afford ones like this, but there is something about mechanical watches and how they can get them to be so accurate with so many complications that intrigues me.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Odell calling out GW is not the right thing to do no matter what he was told by others.

Sometimes you just need to keep your mouth closed and play.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The drama already has me losing interest in this team. They really need to play football and play it well and just shut up to reenergize me...

Legend
Legend
j/c:

Odell Beckham says Jets’ Gregg Williams coaches ‘cheap shots’ and 2017 ankle injury vs. Browns ‘changed my life'

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/09...rowns-here.html

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

BEREA, Ohio -- Odell Beckham Jr. said Thursday that Jets defensive coordinator Gregg Willams coaches "cheap shots and dirty plays'' and that he was responsible for causing the ankle injury that "changed my life forever.''

Beckham believes all of his subsequent leg injuries can be traded back to the preseason game here with the Giants in 2017 when former Browns cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun dove at his lower leg and drilled him, causing a high ankle sprain.

"That says enough about it. It’s preseason,'' Beckham said Thursday during his podium interview. "It’s like a known rule, in preseason nobody in the NFL is really out to do stuff like that. I had players on this team telling me that that’s what he was telling them to do, take me out of the game, and it’s preseason. So you just know who he is. That’s the man calling the plays.''

Beckham sat out the Giants opener that year and then returned in Week 2 against Detroit before he was healthy, and ultimately broke the same ankle in Week 4. He underwent surgery and missed the final 12 games of 2017.

“The only thing I’m buying (for the Monday night game against the Jets) is you know probably just got to watch out for the cheap shots and the dirty hits and all the things that [Williams] likes to teach,'' Beckham said. "That’s pretty much all we’ve got to watch out for. Other than that, I expect the same. Two-high safety. I don’t expect much man-to-man. I don’t expect none of that.”

* Was OBJ’s 2017 injury a result of a Gregg Williams-inspired cheap shot? (Video/poll)

Williams, who will address the New York media on Friday, was suspended for all of 2012 for his involvement in Bounty Gate, a pay-to-injure scheme when he was with the Saints.

"Yeah, I mean, I had people who were here when he was here telling us, ‘If you get a chance, take a shot at him. If you can, hurt him. I guarantee he’s going to leave the game hurt.’ And stuff like that. It’s fine. It’s football, in a sense,'' said Beckham. "We’re all men out there, so there’s no need for doing any of that kind of stuff. Just make the plays the best that you can, clean.''

He has no doubt that the broken ankle -- and his torn quad muscle that cost him the final four games of last season -- are the result of that initial Boddy-Calhoun hit.

"That’s exactly what it did,'' he said. "I came back too early (from the high ankle sprain) for my team. I gave them all I had even though I know that I was still three weeks out. I came back probably three weeks too early just because they lost the first game of the season [that] year and I felt that pressure to be able to come out there and do what I can to help the team.''

He said "if God wouldn’t have blessed me the way that I am, I probably would’ve blown my knee in that preseason game if I couldn’t have gotten my foot out of the ground, and that high ankle sprain led to the broken ankle on the left and then which led to compensation in many different areas and just kind of like a little spiral, so it’s something that I’ll never forget.

"It’s something that it changed my life forever, so I don’t necessarily regret it. Of course, I wish it didn’t happen but it did, so yeah, that led to the ankle for sure.''

Beckham, who sat out all of preseason this year with a hip injury that still has him somewhat perplexed, believes the quad injury and everything else resulted from the initial sprain.

"My doctor told me that something like that was going to happen and I ended up catching a nasty hematoma last year,'' he said. "Banged up, and I just tried to play through it. It was like the Thursday before the fourth to last game of the [season]. I was running an out and up. I stuck on the up and my quad just tore and it was torn the entire back end of the season.

"I wish I could’ve gone out there and finished the season but I couldn’t. I just did my best to be a team player, see if I could travel with the team. None of that was happening, so I just tried to be there for those guys however I can. That’s just the person I am.''

Beckham said he’s not worried about Williams trying to bait him.

"If I was a coach, I would never teach what he teaches, but that’s just him and what he does,'' he said. "So there’s no really getting under my skin anymore. It never was the case. There’s a lot of extra stuff that went on that people don’t know about that I was more frustrated with than anything.

"For me, I’m going to play my game. I’m going to produce when the ball comes to me. I’m going to make plays, whatever plays I can possibly make. Pick up blocks wherever I can. As far as getting under our skin, I don’t think anybody’s getting under your skin. ... Maybe an unsportsmanlike conduct play, that can be determined as maybe somebody got to you and you did something that you shouldn’t have done.”

He said his experience with Williams was pretty much limited to "people taking shots like that in preseason. Other than that, I don’t know when I played him, but I’ve seen his defense for plenty of years. It’s a very good defense. Aside from all the other stuff he teaches, it’s very good. It’s disruptive, and he makes it hard for offenses.”

Beckham laments the fact that defenders are diving at knees in general.

"I’d much rather be hit up top as a man to another man than somebody diving at your legs and your ankles and stuff like that,'' he said. "That’s just kind of what the rules are changing for, so it makes it hard on defenses, they think about that in the middle of a play -- ‘I don’t want to take a fine, I don’t want to get kicked out of the game,' whatever it is -- and I’m sure it slows them down a bit.

"So the only other option is to go low, and it’s just going to lead to more leg injuries.'’

V
Legend
Legend
V
I wish Baker and OBJ would shut the hell up about other people and concentrate on making their own games better. It's always something w/these guys.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
I questioned this trade in another thread now I'm really having concerns. This is the AFC north, spawning bed of players like James Harrison, Vontaze Burfict, Terrell Suggs and many more. Whining about getting hit hard ain't gonna make here. I'll take Zeitler and a first round pick back, thanks.

K
All Pro
All Pro
K
And yea, our guyd need to shut the hell up and play football. Games aren't won with talk.

Legend
Legend
Freddie should now have an even more interesting conversation with Gregg Wiliams come Monday night now. lol.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Ditto, guess we are getting our first taste of WHY Giants unloaded him.....he's headed for AB territory, hope to God I'm wrong, but big money changes people.....they are somebody and want to be treated like they're better than most....GOOD Luck, Browns.....we'll need it.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
Legend
Legend
M

It's all about brand building and OBJ wants to be a part of this brand... (from my previous post)

According to a representative from Richard Mille, the Swiss luxury watch brand that was founded in 2001, Beckham was wearing the Richard Mille RM 11-03 Automatic Flyback Chronograph McLaren limited edition watch, which he purchased for $189,500—many outlets are inflating the price as $350,000. The watch debuted earlier this year at the Geneva International Motor Show in Switzerland and only 500 pieces were made.

“Since the brand began, Mr. Mille only forms partnerships with athletes who commit to wearing a Richard Mille watch while they perform their sport,” says Laura Hughes, director of communications at Richard Mille, Americas. “They provide the ultimate proving ground for the highly complicated timepieces that are created to be ultra comfortable and precise timekeepers in extremely challenging physical conditions.”

Unlike Rafael Nadal, who won the 2019 U.S. Open this past weekend wearing the Richard Mille RM 27-03 Tourbillon Rafael Nadal limited edition watch—it retails for $769,000—or golf player Bubba Watson, who also wears a Richard Mille watch while playing, Beckham is not an official brand partner.

https://www.complex.com/style/2019/09/odell-beckham-jr-richard-mille

Legend
Legend
and there we have it.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend

Originally Posted By: 3rd_and_20

Odell Beckham says Jets’ Gregg Williams coaches ‘cheap shots’'

We all know this already. It is common knowledge, though we pretended it wasn't an issue when he was our coach.

Saints BountyGate, anyone?

Browns is the Browns

R
Legend
Legend
R
I seriously doubt he's doing it anymore. Guy got caught, paid a steep price, and got a second chance.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I love the way Gwilliams coaches...bountygate aside, he's the ultimate motivator..his players would run through walls for him..on the flip side, i don't see that trait from FK yet. Odell needs to shut up...wasn't anything dirty on that hit. That was the same year they were putting emphasis on leading with helmet and making players hit people low to not draw a penalty. The NFL caused that hit, not Gwilliams

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
I think players are always going to test what they can get away with, especially early in a coach’s career. As DItka said, “You get what you tolerate.”

Sadly, we can see what FK got week 1

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I don't think you change a guy like Williams. I think he just learns new ways to fly that under the radar.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend

Pretty much textbook by BBC, in my opinion. Especially when you get flagged for anything above the chest or any hard hit seems to make the receiver "defenseless". He was clearly undercutting while OBJ was still in the air, it's not like he was trying to time anything so that a leg would be planted first.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1662041 09/13/19 12:17 PM
Legend
Legend
Oh yeah I forgot about that play .. I never thought it was really dirty, but unfortunate (and I know it was preseason so that makes it even more unfortunate)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

Given Odell the benefit of the doubt has ended for me.

It is obvious he craves the spotlight. I don't know him. Don't know any of the players and I refrain from trying to judge them as people. I don't believe you can judge a person until you have have had direct contact over a long period of time. People are complex.

At the same time there is no need to open your mouth every time there is a mic in front of you. Be a professional. Understand everything you say is public domain.

I don't care what he thinks of GW. Keep it to yourself. Play ball. Not interested in what you think. Play ball. You are being paid to play football. You are not here to set fashion trends and voice your opinion on others.

Shut up and score touchdowns.

Legend
Legend
I tend to agree w/you in that he should be less vocal and less present. I prefer a guy like Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson to a guy like OBJ or AB. (And yes, AB is WAY more unprofessionally than OBJ).

In the end, if OBJ ends up with 1,500 yards and 12 TDS and we WIN .. nobody cares what he says.

It’s weeks like this week where it gets old

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Oh yeah I forgot about that play .. I never thought it was really dirty, but unfortunate (and I know it was preseason so that makes it even more unfortunate)

That play is why we released (or decided not to re-sign, i forget which) BBC the day before they announced the OBJ trade. I was shocked when we moved on from BBC out of the blue. The next day it made sense.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Things I would do differently if I were Dorsey --

Resign Fells.
Do not make any trades with the Giants.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Except BBC is not currently in the NFL now. Could just be the team didn't think he was good enough. And now it appears the NFL is saying the same thing.

I liked him as a player. I thought he was good with some upside. I can't believe he's not with a team.

Legend
Legend
J/c

Re-signing Fells would be a wish of mine too

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Given Odell the benefit of the doubt has ended for me.

It is obvious he craves the spotlight. I don't know him. Don't know any of the players and I refrain from trying to judge them as people. I don't believe you can judge a person until you have have had direct contact over a long period of time. People are complex.

At the same time there is no need to open your mouth every time there is a mic in front of you. Be a professional. Understand everything you say is public domain.

I don't care what he thinks of GW. Keep it to yourself. Play ball. Not interested in what you think. Play ball. You are being paid to play football. You are not here to set fashion trends and voice your opinion on others.

Shut up and score touchdowns.

Yet, you have not once criticized Baker for saying things that were more controversial.

There are double standards at play from most folks around here.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I think that Texans might object to that.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Except BBC is not currently in the NFL now. Could just be the team didn't think he was good enough. And now it appears the NFL is saying the same thing.

I liked him as a player. I thought he was good with some upside. I can't believe he's not with a team.

The timing was coincidental

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
J/c

I think that Texans might object to that.
brownie

Legend
Legend

The thread is about Odell. But ok.

Baker was asked about some things and gave an opinion.

I may not agree with all he has done. The Duke thing didn't bother me.

In this case Odell went after GW. I don't see what he said as having the same impact as what Baker said regarding Duke.

Take it anyway you please.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Some talking heads are thinking this was a brilliant move. Odell now has the spotlight on Jets DB's...and the referees attention. We shall see.

P
Legend
Legend
P

In this case Odell went after GW. I don't see what he said as having the same impact as what Baker said regarding Duke.

I guess you must have forgotten about Baker's comments in regards to hue.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I have, but I'm into watches. Much ado about nothing really. He will wear it, the NFL will fine him and that will be it. I'm much more concerned about the lack of discipline this entire team showed last week and hope that doesn't continue. They better get thier stuff together or this season could turn ugly really fast.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Take it any way you please.

Why did the "Duke thing" bother you? You thought he should have agreed with Duke and said he didn't want to play here either? We paid Duke a pretty substantial contract for the amount of performance he had produced and in exchange, he throws a hissy fit and wants out? Great. Don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out. I thought what Baker said was spot on. You are either a Brown or get the hell out... We don't need him.

#BlackLivesMatter #StopAsianHate
V
Legend
Legend
V

bone, you know I like and respect you. I quoted you, but my comment was more towards the double standards on this board rather than just your comments. Criticizing a teammate is worse than calling out a coach on another team. And I kept reading from posters that Baker was asked a question. Well, so was OBJ.

Truthfully, I wish both of them would shut their mouths when it comes to talking about other people. Talk about your game. Your teammates [in a positive way.] And shut the hell up about other cats in the league and never, ever dis a teammate.

I've stood up for what's right and defended dudes my entire life when I thought things were unfair. I don't care if that brings negative comments or actions my way. I'm not going to compromise what is right and fair.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Here we go Odell

Link Copied to Clipboard